Johnny Manziel: ‘I’ve decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’

According to his Twitter, Johnny Manziel has signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“I’m here today to make a big announcement for my life. I’m formally signing in the CFL. I’ve decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I’ll be up here for what looks like 2 years I’m getting back to playing ball that’s what it comes down to. it’s what I’ve missed doing,” Manziel said in a video posted to Twitter.

“I’m somewhere, I don’t even know where, on the Canadian border trying to figure this whole thing out and figure out I guess how to play football in Canada. Big day for me. I’m no longer unemployed and I’m happy about it.”

Also included in Manziel’s Twitter announcement was a new partnership with Barstool Sports that will include a “Comeback Season” podcast.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1519 Articles)

155 Comments on Johnny Manziel: ‘I’ve decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’

1. Um, oh, let’s see…at least half a year to figure out the Canadian game, Masoli pegged for a very good season: I doubt that we see very much of him on the field (though Drew, among others, will surely have much to say).

• Sea of Dead // May 19, 2018 at 11:45 am //

Perhaps … but mission accomplished for the Ticat front office as there will be more bums in the seats to see Manziel play even if it is for spot duty. Only hope that he’s not getting most of the team’s remaining salary cap room.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 12:30 pm //

They were just under 98% of capacity last season. Not much room for improvement.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 12:37 pm //

He might sell more jerseys for the cats however.

• Billinburlington // May 19, 2018 at 1:21 pm //

In terms of tickets sold it might have been 98%; but in terms of people interested in showing up for games was probably closer to 65 to 70% due to the dismal first half seasojn they had.

The drama over the past year leading up to today was much like rubber necking at an accident scene…. very disturbing and upsetting – yet hard not to watch due to the rare circumstances of the occasion.

I wish him well and truly hope he has dealt with his Demons and conquest to get help; also expect that he has his head fully committed to striving to be a great player and teammate; an outstanding citizen of Hamilton, an engaged ambassador for the club in the community and a model for future players looking to play in the NFL by way of the CFL. And does so happily as A back-up to Masoli for at least this season.

I hope both the Ticats and CFL have drawn a hard line be in the sand regarding behaviour expectations- one that if crossed will have him on the unemployment line PDQ.

• He will be more of a sell on the road rather than Hamilton. The Ticats are usually at capacity, some people don’t show up but the seats are still sold.
            The Ticats play in Toronto twice this year to he could be a bigger draw, more than normal.

Let’s not judge him until we see him in camp and the pre-season.

• Why would he need a half a year to figure out the Canadian game?
      It’s not that complicated. He’s got training camp and the pre-season and he will likely be on the sidelines and watching Masoli.

• Didn’t you listen to his interview? it’s not like your MLS soccer that any simpleton can understand. Ball, net.

• Mr Red. // May 24, 2018 at 9:22 am //

Im available 🙂

2. Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 10:52 am //

He will start his CFL career in the temple of football. Historic McMahon Stadium June 16th

• Yep, he’s going to look at the facilities at McMahon and say, “Man, it HAS to get better than this…”

• Mr red he may not be starting in the first 2-3 games you may have to wait to see his talent. All good for everyone. Fans in Calgary will want to see what the hype is all about. Then want their team to beat him and cats. That is what he brings something for everyone

• Ridersrule // May 19, 2018 at 11:11 am //

He is going to see that dump and think we are a second rate league and regret his decision

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:20 am //

The greatness of McMahon will inspire him to be great. He’ll look up at the wall of fame and see Flutie, Garcia and the rest and realize he is in a special place.
        Remember, fancy doesn’t necessarily mean better.

• Red didn’t agree with everything you have said but I am sure Manziel will know the history of flutie and Garcia in Calgary and want to impress when he is ready to start.

• Percival Stadium is better than McMahon in my opinion.

• He will see their names and ask why they didn’t win more. Why they couldn’t finish

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 12:45 pm //

Unit he wikis Ron Lancaster and realizes he is the true loser of Grey Cup Sunday (1-5)

FYI
            Fact check time—- Garcia was 1-0 in Grey Cups
            Flutie was 1-1

• Are your fingers drunk?

• He’ll also turn his head and note the Stump “Wall of Shame” on the other side…1980’s version…you know, like the only CFL team to neither host or win a PO game for that entire decade? Only to almost fold in 1985 because nobody cared…saved at the zero hour by the “Save our Stumps” campaign. Hey, what’s Ardell Wiegandt doing these days…LOL!

• … The CFL is a 2nd rate league. Heck, if you count the NCAA then It’s a 3rd rate league.

• I don’t think so Masoli will

• Evil Empire // May 19, 2018 at 11:29 am //

LOL…

Temple ?

Who are you trying to kid ? It’s the biggest dump, and embarrassment to this league. McGill isn’t much better in Mtl. But it is better.

• You mean McHole Stadium?

• Great he’ll think every stadium is a 1960’s dump…

3. Oh boy let the gong show begin …look out hess village things are about to get insane lol. Not a huge fan of johnny coming here but if he puts the work in and he isn’t a distraction to the team then what the hell. Training camp tickets now on sale

• “I believe this is the best opportunity for me moving forward”

Or more accurately – the only opportunity! Yessir…I’m going to Canada and I’m so excited, I’ve done no research, and have absolutely no idea where the Hell this Hamilton place is 🙂

At least all of the speculation is over. Let’s see how he does.

• LOL! Especially the part about him being at a border and not knowing where the hell he is. Hey Johnny, I’ll lend you one of my CAA maps…they are free with membership!

4. So now that Johnny football is coming officially let’s all wish that he does well as CFL and all teams will benefit. For the cat fans who may have been negative it is a good time to rally around the cats including Manziel. You can’t as a ca fan wish that he does not do well. Those who have followed his career in detail know what he brings. Masoli and Manziel will get Hamilton to grey cup. Manziel will be a Starter when June Jones decides. In the meantime lets get behind the hype.

5. Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 10:57 am //

It will generate interest in the league

6. … wow… I actually thought he was gonna bail on the CFL and wait to sign with the AAF. How about that…

7. Green&Gold // May 19, 2018 at 11:03 am //

They should put a picture of him and Masoli together on packs of M&Ms for a promo

8. Great news for the league!

9. This is great! I’m excited to see what he can do and us younger people will be much more interested now! Let’s do this!

10. Fantastic news. Pumped.

11. "HAWKS" // May 19, 2018 at 11:11 am //

Great news! Not only for the Tiger-Cats, but this is a great second chance for Manziel. Let’s hope he works hard and takes advantage of this opportunity.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 12:44 pm //

His past history suggests the hard work won’t be forthcoming. I’m not convinced that he believes that he has to do more than just show up to be successful in this league. Cleveland 2.0?

12. Anyone remember Vince Ferragamo?

• CFLFIRST // May 19, 2018 at 11:15 am //

Did Ferragamo have over 2 million twitter followers and a podcast with Bar Stool sports? I don’t care how Manziel plays. This will bring attention to the league and that’s a good thing.

• I don’t know about his twitter followers but I had to wikipedia him. The ALs paid him $600K in 1981! Holy sh*t! Went 3-15 and still made the playoffs haha. Some things never change eh boys? LOL

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:21 am //

Remember Doug Flutie

• yes I do Manzial hasn”t throwning a ball let I want to see him against the other teams best then we can say we have somebody because pre season not are teams are playing there best players it can be players on bubble that’s secend pre season game I don’t like the signing

• He will be better than Doug Flutie, according to June Jones:

“I think he’d be the best player to ever play up here,” Jones said. “He can throw it and he can run it like nobody ever has been able to do.”

• Yes. That was the Scab-ania era…and one to be forgotten. But at least Ferragamo had some NFL pedigree…

13. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

14. Doug Mc Clintock // May 19, 2018 at 11:20 am //

Remember what coach June said that Manziel would be the best QB the CFL has ever seen ! Really ! Well we will see what happens. But I wish him well, we all like to see superior football being played !

15. Ari Katz // May 19, 2018 at 11:21 am //

I guess that I was right commenting on the Ticat offensive preview that there would be big news on the horizon that would involve Manziel. Now our quarterback position is a lot stronger than it was 24 hours ago. Cant wait to see him in this Run and Shoot offence. Go Cats Go!

16. FINALLY we can move on past the speculation. Glad it’s behind us and looking forward to seeing reports from camp. I’m a Masoli loyalist but you do need 2 QBs.

17. Evil Empire // May 19, 2018 at 11:24 am //

I’m interested to see how this works out. I’m neutral on the guy. And just hope any player sgned to the league puts his best foot forward. On and off the field.

This get this season started.

18. Ray Jay Johnson II // May 19, 2018 at 11:25 am //

here hoping he falls on his face and is cut .

19. Do I hear the sound of a QB’s leg broke or a snap of a Achilles’ tendon !

He’s done in 8 weeks .

20. Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:28 am //

Everyone was so critical of Drew and Justin running so many Manziel stories. Look like they were right about everything.

21. Kahlil Carter // May 19, 2018 at 11:31 am //

Interesting to see if someone writes an erroneous article on him then takes it down too.

22. Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 11:34 am //

Manziel signs, and drew/3down staff rejoice.

23. Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:34 am //

The Cats gain a QB, the riders lose $5000.00 and reputation.

• $5000.00 bucks? Meh. That’s chump change man. And stay on topic, this has nothing to do with the Riders. No wonder nobody likes you.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 12:31 pm //

You missed the point of course.
        The money is chump change, there was really no need for you to point that out- kinda silly
        The important thing to note was the reputation

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 12:48 pm //

Vs the reputation of choking when it matters most?

• Red is Jerry IRL // May 19, 2018 at 1:20 pm //

So if it wasn’t important why did you point it out? Oh yeah cause you are mor0nic at the best of times. And what reputation was ruined? Oh yeah none, but little Jerry’s feelings were hurt. Suck it up Jerry, you are such a crybaby.

• While I’m at it, at least Hamilton has a backup QB now. Your Stamps are still infighting and scrambling to find players cause Dicko and Co. can barely recruit anyone to those facilities. I’ll leave it at that.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:42 am //

I believe our back up QB has more CFL experience and NFL experience than does Hamilton’s 🙂

• Stanzi is a scrub. Manziel wayyyyy more talented and he didn’t trash the facilities in Cleveland like a little baby.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 12:55 pm //

Yes 8 whole passes in actual games. With 2 interceptions. Prior to that, he hasn’t thrown a meaningful pass since 2010. He couldn’t be 3rd stringer on most cfl teams, and he is one hit away from being the stamps starter. That is hilarious.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm //

Because if there’s one thing Huff has been terrible at it’s finding good players. That is obvious to everyone watching CFL football over the last 10 years.

BTW, in the last 10 years. 3 different starting QB’s have lead the Stamps to the Grey cup,,,,,,,,,food for thought.

24. I hope someone knocks his a$$ out!!!

25. Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 11:40 am //

I wonder where the rider fans are?
    They must all be watching the Royal wedding- we know they like fairy tales.

26. Vernon Adams will be a stamp. They will need something once Moe has his arm amputated

27. Red&White Forever // May 19, 2018 at 11:53 am //

Good. Now he can put up, or shut up.

28. Dundas dude // May 19, 2018 at 11:57 am //

Woohoo! Competition makes people better. Masoli is the man, but with a season of back up maybe Johnny football will be challenging for starting. Good news.

29. Macavity // May 19, 2018 at 11:59 am //

Well, one less team for the Bombers to worry about. Manziel will only be a distraction. That boy has done no research or work to prepare for our game. He has no humility, and contrary to what american sportscasters will claim, the bigger field is not better for scramblers, it requires better and longer throws.

Poor Jones will have to play him at some point, and he will get laughed off the field, If he’s around in 2019 I’d be shocked.

30. Bro McBro Face // May 19, 2018 at 12:07 pm //

Printing my MANSOLI now. What # should I use?????

31. Ibleedgreen1111 // May 19, 2018 at 12:12 pm //

Let the fun & games start at fair grounds called TiCat training camp. He already behind the rest of the qb’s on practice time and working with the coach’s on the play book.

Hopefully it works out good for both the team & league with more butts in seats and merchandise sales.

Go Riders!
    Go CFL!!

32. This is a publicity stunt he is not focused on Football. Podcasts will distract him. rebuttals..1. RandyAmbrosie said players should have an in season 2nd job..this is John’s 2. practices half as long as nfl practices.

33. Any one remember Chuck Ealy, Joe Theisman, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie, Darien Durant, Burrel, Ricky Ray, and Collaros?

34. espn plus subs taking off. I suspect John wont start much this season but Coach June will figure out a way to get him on the field to take advantage of running ability. Plus John was a good slot receiver in HS

35. Welcome Johnny Football. Hope you tear it up.

36. Bottom line is every top QB comes from Ncaa directly as did Ealy, Theisman, Moon. From other pro leagues as did Flutie, Bo Mitchell. Flamed out of nfl camp as did Ricky Ray and Collaros. Some of the above were successful in initial contract and some took longer.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 12:56 pm //

Actually I believe Ray turned down a practice roster spot with the Jets if I remember.

37. grouchee // May 19, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

Manziel was an elite player for a time. Here’s hoping he can return to form. I’m excited to see what happens.
    Go Cats!!

38. Every American sports media top story of Manziel coming to Canada. Media impressions bring $$ to cfl. Top three google trends. Royal wedding. Johnny Manziel and where is Hamilton. All good

39. Well….I just actively searched the 2018 schedule to see when Hamilton was playing in Saskatchewan – the first time I have ever wondered when Hamilton was coming to town. Whatever his playing ability, he could be good for league attendance and may help Hamilton to actually outdraw the Riders as the most popular visiting team.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 1:32 pm //

Sorry Yoshi
      2 biggest crowds at historic McMahon last year were Edmonton and BC.

• Check your stats Red – labour day was your big draw but Riders game on Jul 22nd was the 2nd largest draw in historic (as in ancient ruin) McMahon.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 2:49 pm //

Overall red. Overall. You really are stone cold f*ck nuts crazy.

• Billinburlington // May 19, 2018 at 2:06 pm //

Really? I heard people say he will help draw people to stadiums and viewers to the CFL; but just took it as hype.

Now that he has signed, will there really be that much interest to draw crowds at visiting stadiums given he will likely be a second stringer? Will TV viewers really increase. I’m still sceptical.

• He will not be on the bench long. Fans in USA and Canada will get information on Him daily to keep the hype up. Great for team. Great for cfl. The buzz / hype is what cfl needs.

40. Kenneth Orford // May 19, 2018 at 2:10 pm //

I know, I know that I will be going out on a limb by stating my thoughts. But here it goes: I hope for all the fans of the Tiger Cats, coaching staff and the CFL, that Johnny Manziel is worth all the trouble he will be sure to cause. Dissension in the locker room can turn a first class team into a group of permadonas in a second. No need to look further than Montreal.

Cheers

• BoatMen // May 19, 2018 at 2:25 pm //

Kenny Boy you also must include Calgary in that “look no further than” comment. Calgary has the most toxic locker room in the league and that is well documented.

41. The league and the Cats called him on the important stuff and he caved; he was bluffing with a busted flush. Two-year deal at entry level – betcha! He won’t be a distraction either…. Too much experience in management and coaching to let that happen. Cats played it right. He’s a prospect that’s worth a look – plain and simple! Message for Manziel? Don’t get into a battle of wits when you’re unarmed!

• Lancaster/Reed // May 19, 2018 at 2:51 pm //

They are paying him a hell of a lot more than a simple prospect would get.

• Mr Red. // May 19, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

Similar to what you paid Vince Young.
        Looks like Johnny football is in shape. You couldn’t see Vince Young’s belt over the flab-o-lanche.

• Bleeding Green // May 19, 2018 at 10:13 pm //

Lol VY looked like an overweight McDonalds cashier. His ankles couldnt even hold him up. Buuuuuut, We didn’t pay him a dime if I’m not mistaken? Or maybe I am. BTW Red. Is someone impersonating you with a WWE avatar?

42. Edward Leslie // May 19, 2018 at 3:22 pm //

I feel kind of sorry for Vernon Adams Jr. He was a star quarterback at Oregon and looked like a possible star in the CFL too.
    However he’s been the #3 QB in Montreal, the #3 QB in Saskatchewan and now looks to be the #3 QB in Hamilton too.
    I predict he’ll retire within the year out of frustration about not getting an opportunity to play in the CFL, in spite of his impressive pedigree. He knows how Canadian quarterbacks feel now.

43. Mr Curling congratulates Hamilton on this signing, could be great for the league. Just imagine Manziel and Collaros battling it out down to the wire in the Grey Cup, it’s like 1989 all over again!

44. Welcome to Hamilton Johnny!

45. Bleeding Green // May 19, 2018 at 10:10 pm //

Finally!!! This is GOOD news for the CFL. All the Manziel bashers, please give this kid a chance. He has come a LONG way with his personal issues and I can advocate having had the same issues myself. It is not easy and I cant imagine how much harder it is in the spotlight. Lets give him a Canadian welcome and wish him the best. I know he’s not the starter, and I don’t want anyone to lose their job, but I’m excited to see him play at some point.

46. Bleeding Green // May 19, 2018 at 10:22 pm //

Lol poor guy has huge expectations now. If he gets sacked on his first snap, he will be booed. Give him a chance ppl. This will be the CFL storyline this year no doubt. When will JM start? Actually that being said, the pressure is on Masoli to perform now. I hope Masoli doesn’t have a short lease just to appease the fans… But I do wanna see JM play.

47. Trashparty // May 20, 2018 at 9:54 am //

Just use Google maps. It’ll tell you pretty quick where you are.

48. Manziel needs to get his head out of his arse if he’s going to be successful. From his statement that he’s in this for “the long haul” and citing “2 years” up here shows how little he’s sought out wise counsel on the CFL from QBs who’ve played in the CFL and the NFL .

Had he spoken to any of these he’d be showing how he understands the challenge and quality of the CFL.

I’m also fairly confident that if Manziel were the star in the first year here and someone in the NFL wants him, the Ticats would let him go and take the fine. Wally Buono in BC has always let these guys leave as you don’t want unhappy players in the locker room infecting the team and of course, he’s then the team of choice again if they fail in the NFL. I have no issue with teams doing this for the sole reason you don’t want people in your team who don’t want to be there.

Manziel has missed all these months dicking around when he could have been learning the game here and prepping for the season.

While the HC says Masoli’s his number 1 my sense is that the pressure to play Manziel will be significant. Either way, it’s a high risk situation for the Ticats this season.

I’m a CFL fan these days more than my hometown team BC Lions and with top QBs in all cities it makes my watching most CFL games fun so it’s not that I don’t want top QBs in all cities.

49. Wow, it took forever to get to the bottom of this chain. Ti-cats clearly got what they wanted, attention. CFL will get what it wants, competitiveness. As an argo fan, I’ll get what I want. Competitive Ontario based football. And the opportunity to beat Hamilton in meaningful games, for once