Former CFL standout LB Adam Bighill released by Saints

The New Orleans Saints have released former CFL all-star linebacker Adam Bighill.

Bighill suited up in three games for the Saints in 2017 recording one tackle after making the practice squad out of training camp. Bighill signed a reserve/futures contract with the Saints in January but he was let go on Monday.

The 29-year-old racked up 108 tackles – third most in the CFL – five sacks and one interception in 2016 for the B.C. Lions while earning league all-star honours for the fourth time in his six-year CFL career.

While Bighill will likely hope for another NFL opportunity, he could look to return north of the border. CFL training camps get underway on Sunday.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (841 Articles)

42 Comments on Former CFL standout LB Adam Bighill released by Saints

1. Go for him Bombers ! O’Shea’s type of guy…

2. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 2:25 pm //

Bighill is nearly 30 now. He tried the NFL and managed to make the Saints and play a bit too.
    Now that’s out of his system, it’s time to head back to Canada, where he could still play another five or six years, make lots of money and become a future hall of famer.
    This would really help sell tickets at BC place too. Team 100 reunited.

3. Bighill will most likely try to make another NFL team but considering he turns 30 in October, his age is going to prevent him from getting back into the NFL.

Definitely a great CFL LB and desperately needed by the Lions porous defence.

4. Larry Fahlman // May 14, 2018 at 2:36 pm //

Bombers need him badly…..too bad they are short $70 grand!!

5. Best CFL Fan // May 14, 2018 at 3:10 pm //

Bummer

6. Dave Somerton // May 14, 2018 at 3:30 pm //

Do the Lions still hold his CFL rights?

• Lancaster/Reed // May 14, 2018 at 3:51 pm //

No, he is a free agent. That being said, I would think BC would have the inside track on signing him. That’s usually how it works out.

7. Scottsask // May 14, 2018 at 3:54 pm //

I would have to agree. For selfish reasons I still hope he makes another NFL roster.

8. Jumping jack flash // May 14, 2018 at 4:05 pm //

Bighill has a couple CFL years left. His NFL tank has run dry.
    He said out loud back in 2014 when he saw the new stadium being built on the Prairies. If one day things don’t work out in Vancouver. He wouldn’t mind seeing what it’s like to play for the that team where the fans are so loyal. Between a new facility and a fan base loyal like other. I sure could see myself playing there.

9. Montreal needs him badly

10. I wonder how much $$$ he earned down south last year.

11. Pepé Le Pew. Honorary scent of Winnipeg // May 14, 2018 at 4:24 pm //

He should play in Winnipeg. I mean the Bomber fans and Big’s Hills facial cosmetics look like family. Plus they all have that same nasally sound. Difference is Adam dosent whine like they do.
    Besides several years ago just after Geritsen Simon played for SK. Bighill said if can’t make it a goin BC. He’d like to try want Gerry did and win. GC in Sask.

• Provemewrong // May 14, 2018 at 5:13 pm //

Wow. You sound like a slider fan. Slagging Big Hill because he was BORN with a facial deformity. Man, I would like to see you repeat your sh1t to him. Yea, thought so. typical slider fan, just waiting for you to dump a load on someone front lawn. Loser.

• Lol Slider.. Slider, Slider! Slider? Slider Slider. Also Slider.

That is what you sound like. 😛
        I know..I know. The Green machine is scaring people this year. As they should.

• Provemewrong // May 14, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

So, you are sticking up for pepe the smelly slider fan. Too bad you don’t like the name slider, as it fits your fan base so well. Gangrene NEVER scares anyone, unless they are your cousin. Then they should be afraid, very afraid.

• Not at all. I didn’t say anything regarding Pepe. I was simply making fun of you for you low IQ slider comment. Pretty simple to understand.
            If I wanted some lip from you, I’d rattle my zipper.

• Provemewrong // May 14, 2018 at 7:51 pm //

Wow RobE, did you learn that “Rattle my zipper” line from your Daddy. I bet you did. Did he tussle your hair afterwards and tell you, “You took that like a champ!!

• You sound like a Slider fan. Real CLASSLESS of you to comment about Bighill’s facial deformity. You are a real scumbag and Wheatard.

• Provemewrong // May 14, 2018 at 6:09 pm //

“Wheatard”….Hahahahaha… Now that I will use in the future!!!

• BC Dave // May 14, 2018 at 8:06 pm //

So did you just make fun of someone with a speech impediment? Sure sounded like it to me.
        When did this place turn from being a CFL site to be zipper rattling hook up and making fun of people with health issues? You “RETARDS (I believe the word you are looking for) ruin every single thread. Wish you’d create your own site. Call it IQ 51 so you ALL can feel at home.
        Way to ruin yet another thread. Freakin morons.

• I started off by calling them out with the stupid slider comments. And they decided to take it a step further by degrading the people of saskatchewan, as usual. I agree I shouldn’t have stooped to their low, but I just couldn’t help myself. I could say a hell of a worse, but I decided to keep it a PG as possible.

• BC Dave // May 15, 2018 at 8:49 pm //

Was talking to Lion fan 4 life with his “wheat tard” comment making fun of people who cannot say retard due to a speech issue.

• BC Dave you are really a Slider fan in disguise. I say this based on your biased Slider comments. In addition, you are too stupid to figure out (so I will tell you) that wheat is grown is Saskatchewan and “Wheatard” is simply a trash talking play on words instead of the word “retard”. Also, how do I know you’re stupid? You misquote me, using the phrase “wheat tard”, whereas I use the phrase “wheatard”. At least “man up” and admit you are really a Sliders fan; instead you’re a real sleeze ball to hide behind the assertion that you’re a Lions fan.

• Flanker41 // May 14, 2018 at 7:56 pm //

Keep that low-class crap out of this forum, please. Totally unnecessary.

12. I’m a little shocked… in his preseason debut with the Saints – he was a monster. Well I sure hope he comes back to the BC Lions… he is just what we need right now. And a QB please!

• Bighill will come back to the Lions if he is unable to sign with another NFL team; and team 100 will be reunited. The defense will be improved with Biggie. We have a starting QB named Jenning’s with a different OC he will have a season more like 2016 as opposed to 2017.

• Heard Manziel if comes to Canada may be traded to bc lions. One spots commentator out west mentioned it last week.

• Yea probably Rod Peterson…but he has no cred, so don’t believe anything he says. After all this is the same clown that cried there was a conspiracy within the CFL Corporate Office when Chris Jones got caught TWICE for cheating and the Roiders were fined twice. Rod Perterson just another Slider Wheatard.

13. No matter where he goes, he won’t be cheap…..and it seems every team is at or close to the cap…..so, whether BC, Peg or Montreal, or elsewhere, a big salary would have to be released to free up cap space.
    Choose your poison.

14. TouchDownBC // May 14, 2018 at 5:31 pm //

Not used properly in BC Defenseive system…they had him dropping deep like a safety…could sign anywhere

15. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 5:36 pm //

Bighill dudn’t have the success that Cameron Wake and Jerrell Freeman had going down south. Still, he did better than I thought he would by making the practice squad, and getting promoted to play a few games.
    Bighill had three big marks against him from the start: He was undersized for a linebacker (by NFL standards) at less than 6’0”; he had zero NFL experience and he was 28 years old in his first year.

Besides B.C., Saskatchewan, Ottawa and Calgary could also use his services. I think Ottawa could be the darkhorse because they released their starting MAC linebacker, Taylor Reed and didn’t seem to overspend on free agents over the winter.

16. Reggiemac // May 14, 2018 at 6:45 pm //

He might want to try Montreal as Stubler brought him into the cfl

17. Richard // May 14, 2018 at 9:57 pm //

If ARGOS get him it’ll be Back to Back Cups for certain!

18. I would think he will be loyal to BC if he comes back.

• greenenvy? // May 15, 2018 at 11:50 am //

Hundo P, Yup. Team 100 reunited. Lions all of a sudden may have a glut @ LB. With Elimimian, Foster, Lokombo on board & Bighill likely going there as he & Sol are very tight, Awe may be going elsewhere. I think BC is in the mix. Should he land there, that front 7 is looking pretty good.

19. My guess Bighill and his agent will play the NFL to the very end like Bazzie did who is with the Eskimos now. Maybe around labor day he might resurface to the CFL if nothing works out for him down south.

20. Reading the saints board, the fans love him and are sad to see him go. One referred to him as the flying tee stump.

21. Hitting 30…washed up…who cares?