Alouettes veterans Chip Cox and Nik Lewis considering retirement

Two big-name Montreal Alouettes players are seriously contemplating retirement.

Veterans Chip Cox and Nik Lewis could hang up the cleats according to Montreal Gazette reporter Herb Zurkowsky.

Cox suffered a season-ending knee injury during an October 9 game last season and the Als placed him on the retirement list.

“If I come back and play, I’m going to be just as good as I ever was. I haven’t lost anything. That’s what I do know about myself,” Cox told Zurkowsky on Monday from his home in Columbus, Ohio. “I feel like I can still play at a very high level. I know everybody says that but … I think of myself as a realist. I think I can still play at a high level.”

The 34-year-old defender can unretire and technically would be a free agent if he did that, but there is nowhere else Cox would rather play.

“I’ve been in Montreal my whole career. I enjoy it. The franchise means a lot to me,” he said.

Cox has played all 12 of his CFL seasons with the Alouettes making 848 defensive tackles, 27 sacks, 25 forced fumbles, 23 interceptions and scoring six defensive touchdowns while adding 91 special teams tackles. Only one other season has the veteran missed a game that was in 2010. The 2013 CFL Most Outstanding Defensive Player was a talent evaluator for Montreal during the off-season.

“You got to sit down and got to watch for players that could fit into a certain league. You look for certain skills because the CFL is so much different than other leagues,” he explained. “Because of the size of the field, it brings a whole different light to the game.

“I enjoyed doing it. I don’t know if I was any good at it, but I enjoyed doing it.”

Meanwhile, Lewis received a $30,000 off-season bonus reports Zurkowsky. He told Zurkowsky the chances of playing in 2018 are “one percent”. Lewis has played 14 CFL seasons, 11 for the Calgary Stampeders, hauling in 1,051 passes which are the league’s all-time career receptions mark for 13,778 yards and 71 touchdowns in 226 games.

“There’s a great possibility I’ll be there on Sunday. I don’t know if it’ll be as a player. That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” Lewis said from his Regina home. “We’ve talked about what my role would be … what I would be interested in doing. I sent a job description. To my knowledge, they liked it.

“Something has to happen,” he added. “If I pass a physical on Saturday, I’ll be expecting another cheque. I feel great.”

78 Comments on Alouettes veterans Chip Cox and Nik Lewis considering retirement

1. Both these guys should be released. Why would Kavis Give Nik a bonus in 2018 that makes no sense. Nik is a liability on the field and should have left 2 years ago

• Smarmydog // May 15, 2018 at 8:49 am //

did you actually watch any als games?…”liability on the field”? he was one of the few that showed up to play!!

• Mattiegtran // May 15, 2018 at 11:59 am //

Excited to tell that the sucess story of my friend who has started a few months ago super home base earning programe here is the story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>m­­a­­r­­s­­s­­m­­a­­r­­t­­.­­c­­o­­m­­­m­­­m­­­m­­­m­­­m­­­m ­­­­­­c­­­o­­­p­­­y ­­­o­­­n­­­l­­­y­­­ 1­­­ m­­­ t­­­h­­­a­­­n­­­k­­­s ­­­d­­­e­­­a­­­r ­­­f­­­riendalso open home>>>tech>>>

2. “That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” Lewis said from his Regina home.”….Nik Lewis lives in Regina???? I’ve been to Regina and as far as wanting to live there….um NO.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 14, 2018 at 6:30 pm //

Lol. Like we would want you here.

• Middle to West Coast // May 15, 2018 at 9:25 am //

Gues what Dano…. upon my climb in the corporate latter within my Company. I’ve lived in Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, Langley, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg and Sudbury. Some places longer than others.
      Just because you visit a place dosent give you any inclination on what it’s like to live there. Regina is no different than some of the larger city’s. The difference is any bad that happens is in a much smaller scale. The Country likes to use per capita ratings in thier math. The fact is I’d rather deal with 1 bad event in a small city than 35 in a large City. Regina became one of my favourite places to live. The City has done everything to make it a great looking City. Older areas like Lakeview, Old Lakeview, Albert Park, Hillsdale, Whitmore Park and Cathedral all make up for the one area that still needs work. Where as areas like Gasstown in Vancouver continuous to get worse with homeless and addiction. Regina is working to make their North Central area better. With neighbours forming their own evening street watch. The buildings are being painted and worked on.
      Given a choice I would rather take 15 minutes to drive to work. Not have to go through areas that make you wonder what we are allowing ourselves to become.
      Regina has become a nice City and continuous to work on itself. Unlike many of the other Citys I lived in. My least favourite was Winnipeg. I refused to go downtown for obvious reasons.
      Nanaimo was a grungy dirty little city back in the 1970s. Now it’s a wonderful little Island City.
      Just like us as we grow and mature. Things change.

3. Mr Red. // May 14, 2018 at 6:35 pm //

Everyone;
    The only reason Nik Lewis lives in Regina is because his wife is from there and has roots. Other wise there is no way.

• Sure, in comparison Calgary has much more going on but it’s still a prairie dust bowl you redneck hick. But keep telling yourself it’s the be all see all, most don’t even consider it a major Canadian city and frankly it’s not.

• MR. Green // May 14, 2018 at 6:59 pm //

I like the smaller population of Saskatchewan. Who wants to live jam packed in a big city like rats.

• Mr Red. // May 14, 2018 at 9:04 pm //

ummm.Literally everyone calls it a major Canadian city!!!!!
        World class too

• To be fair, the standard for ‘major Canadian city’ is a pretty low bar to rise to.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 14, 2018 at 7:26 pm //

And you know this because you and nik are close personal friends? Big NO. Everyone knows sociopaths like you dont have friends.

• Mr Red. // May 14, 2018 at 9:05 pm //

It’s well documented

• Lancaster/Reed // May 14, 2018 at 10:45 pm //

And you can show this well documented statement where he says that is the ONLY reason he lives in Regina? Not just A reason, but the ONLY reason?

• What is well documented? …that you are a sociopath? Everybody would like to live in CGY…especially if you have a few hours to waste, getting from downtown to the airport, especially at 5PM.

• Yup. Sticking with his family. That’s what comes 1st

• C Stephen Cassin // May 14, 2018 at 10:37 pm //

The City of Winnipeg is awesome. I can’t wait to visit there again.

• 3rd and 1 // May 15, 2018 at 9:32 am //

Ya because you know Nik Lewis don’t you. You see it’s cimments like these that make you one of the hateful 8 on here. You talk out of your ass like you know stuff when all your doing is making crap up that suites your little bubble world. Are you ever going to grow up? There is a great comment a few boxes up about a person who has lived across the West. Read it and learn instead of making stuff up. Regina has become a great little City and continuous to get better. So much more than some of the City’s of the past that are getting worse by the Month as the economy takes its toll on lack of maintenance and care.

4. so Cox had a injury “retired” so the team did not pay him because he “retired”but if he did not “retire”the team would have to pay him sounded like salary cap issue because they could not put him on the 6 games list because the injury happen so late in the season ……..something smells wrong here!!!!

5. WTF was Montreal thinking when they gave Fatty Lewis a $30k off season bonus?!?

The GMs in this league are absolutely clueless. Unbelievably dumb.

6. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 6:47 pm //

DanoT: Good for Nik living in Regina. I wish more of these American players would live in Canada, instead of heading back to the U.S. when their season is done. Chip Cox for example.
    More imports used to settle down here than in recent years.
    Most don’t want to put down roots in Canada, they are obsessed with the NFL and only want to use the CFL as a stepping stone.
    In the meantime, they end up paying taxes in two countries and lose 20% in the exchange rate and whine about it.
    With the Allied American Football League starting in 2019 and the XFL starting in 2020, it will be harder to lure these mercenaries north too.
    That’s why the CFL should actually seriously consider lowering the number of Americans in the ratio and increasing the number of Canadians on each club.
    My proposed 2019 ratio: 26 CANADIANS & 20 AMERICANS. No more “National” and “International” titles. Plus no more separate designation for quarterbacks.

• greenenvy? // May 15, 2018 at 1:29 am //

Edward, there are thousands of American college players. In 2014 when Ottawa joined & got to draft 2 Cdns off each roster, they ended up with as many good Cdns as some of the existing clubs. The problem was, & the media reported on this as well, that it weakened the league because even with the current ratio there just aren’t enough good Nationals around. In fact the spate of injuries to QB’s was partially credited to the lack of good Nationals on OL. This was often where 4 of your Nationals came from to make up the required starters. In recent years it has not been mostly 2, sometimes 3 imports on the OL, predominantly on the more demanding tackle positions, to protect the QB. Your idea is commendable but if you increase the ratio you seriously dilute the product. USports athletes, with a few exceptions, are not at the same level after graduating as available talent from top colleges in the US. It’s the way it is.

• MJ Bandit // May 15, 2018 at 11:54 pm //

You obviously don’t go far back with CFL football; the CFL of the 60s thru 80s = great football and far better product than today IMO – featured more Candadian/NI players on the roster than imports. You figure the “talent” was diluted then pal? – with Ottawa a powerhouse team featuring all sort of Canadian talent – Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart, Whit Tucker, Mo Racine, Joe Poirier, etc, etc.

Your types – so many of them getting to run their hater yaps here – figure the way to a better CFL is to hand more jobs to average to mediocre American players and ignore top Canadian talent (CIS ball has improved with more teams, plus still lots of Canadian talent coming out of US college ball) ???
        So many clueless yips here have been sold a cliched pile of garbage and want to bleat “numbers game” in their quest to have more & more average joe American players get handed CFL jobs because they’ve been told they are so superior. What a crock of bull$hite. What weakens the CFL is all the football fairy tale believers out there – sorry pal – that’s the way it is.

7. Lewis should give back his bonus. This is theft. *cry cry cry*.

8. I commented before I read the montreal gazette version of the story only read the 3down verion story imhop the als payed cox to scouted for the team money he lost by going into retirement that way it didn’t show up on payroll for the cap because paying scouts does not count for the cap ….I wonder how many other players scout for the team they play for???????

9. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 6:57 pm //

Area 51: It just shows how little you know about the CFL and how ignorant you are as a personnto refer to Nik Lewis that way.
    He’s the all time leading receiver in CFL history. He was one of the few good things about the Alouettes 2017 season too.

Actually paying Nik Lewis his bonus showed class and loyalty on Kavis Reed’s part.
    Henoc Muamba was only an Alouette briefly during his first stint with them and Darian Durant, lets face
    it, a complete disaster last year. They didn’t deserve the same loyalty as “Thick Nik” did.

I hope Nik Lewis does return for one more season.
    Players and personalities like his aren’t easy to find.

• greenenvy? // May 15, 2018 at 1:39 am //

I like Nik but retire already. Nik Lewis sat down 6-7 yds over the line of scrimmage & then picked up what he could. Of his 649 yards, take out his 299 YAC & he averaged 4.8 yds/completion in the air. Short dump passes. A great receiver who is a VERY large shadow of his former self. It’s really tough to see him out there any more. After the season he stated he was going to retire UNLESS he was asked back. He’s taking up a spot which could go to a younger guy. Retire already.

10. Lewis converted a few second downs – an important part of the Alouette offence as it existed the last couple of years. But we all get older and he may figure that it is time, especially if he has not been having much fun. All the best to him whatever he decides.

11. Greenland // May 14, 2018 at 7:08 pm //

I agree Edward . Nik has always been entertaining even when he was stuck playing in Calgary. I hope he has one more year in him.

12. COX still has it in him. Really enjoyed watching him play over the years. As for Nik Lewis… bless his heart, but he’s wayyy overweight (Eastbound and Down lol) and slow. Please move on Nik!!

13. Just saying // May 14, 2018 at 7:33 pm //

Paying a $30,000 off season bonus is just bad business. Crazy crazy crazy!

• I’m glad someone else can recognize what a horrifically bad business decision it was to give a $30k bonus to Fatty Lewis.

Can’t believe someone was applauding Kavis Reed showing “class and loyalty” for flushing that $30k bonus down the toilet.

Alouettes are turning into a catastrophic dumpster fire. They may not even manage to match their embarrassing THREE (3) win performance of last year.

• Cat Fan // May 15, 2018 at 9:26 am //

The Als are so strapped for cash that paying a $30K bonus is what is horrifically bad business?

How many losses does paying the bonus put in the standings?
        How are they going to pay the HC?

Somehow I think it is a drop in the bucket that makes a negligible difference.

14. If Fatty Lewis is a “bright spot” that would explain Montreal’s pitiful 3-15 record.

Yes it’s “entertaining” and good for a laugh to see a 36yr old blob waddling around on the field – – but that’s what you’d expect from a mascot, not a WR.

Proclaiming Fatty Lewis among the “greatest” WRs based in his career receptions is about as naive as proclaiming Kevin Glenn among the “greatest” QBs because he’s put up a lot of yardage and completions.

• Cat Fan // May 15, 2018 at 9:29 am //

I would guess you didn’t watch Als games as I can’t recall Lewis lining up at WR last year.

You are right though that Lewis being one of a few bright spots shows how bad the overall team was.

15. Confused // May 14, 2018 at 7:50 pm //

Wow the personal attacks and insults thrown at professional football players from middle-aged anonymous keyboard warriors/bullies is astounding. Probably the same many of you calling durant “classless” and a bad role model for his child. Hypocrisy at its finest. I wonder if your employer is aware of your bullying and pathetic name-calling.

• I just call it as I see it, my friend.

The CFL hasn’t had a blob like Lewis since Fatty Labinjo was waddling around.

As for Durant, the words I used to describe him were “proven champion” and “warrior”.

• Provemewrong // May 14, 2018 at 8:40 pm //

Area 51; The new Mr Red!!! Unless, of course, 51 is your IQ.. Then no harm done as we can lump you in with Mr Red.

• BC Dave // May 14, 2018 at 10:14 pm //

Confused, everyone has a negative opinion here and there. The problem with IQ51 (and I give him too much credit) is that that is all he does is name call and bash others. It is an insecure person’s way to make themselves look better because their hope is that others will see them as intelligent because he supposedly sees something we don’t. Just ignore him. He has make numerous derogatory comment about Trav, JJ, and the Lions in general. Hoping he will just look like the imbecile he is come 7 months from now.

• MJ Bandit // May 15, 2018 at 11:59 pm //

Agenda 51 has found a real home here – to get to spew his clueless hater drivel. Please don’t take that away from him and his like minded ilk here. Dorks like that get banned/booted from other CFL forums – where you don’t just get to log-in and flame away- but instead get laughed-off for being a pompous @$$ moron. This site OTOH – seems to welcome those kind of clowns. Great job 3RD Down nation !

16. White Horse // May 14, 2018 at 8:17 pm //

Nik had his best yrs with the Stamps. Huff knows when your best before date is evident and proved himself right again. Same with Messam and C Hughes.
    Nik would love to retire a Stampeder and I can see him on Stamps wall of fame.

17. White Horse // May 14, 2018 at 8:22 pm //

Area51..I hope you choke on some of the barf you bring up on this site. You are so friggin negative! Labinjo was an absolute warrior and a saviour in the Stamps Grey Cup win in 2008. Go back to eating your words ASAP!

• Fatty Labonjo also had a great career in Hollywood. Starred in the movie Precious.

18. Facts Are Facts // May 14, 2018 at 8:37 pm //

Rickey Foleys brother is a douc** cannon…

19. Mr Red. // May 14, 2018 at 8:49 pm //

I’ll bet Jones would trade Bladek and his first 2 picks in next years draft for these 2. He’s made worse.

20. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 9:06 pm //

Area 51: You probably would’ve said that Babe Ruth should’ve retired from baseball if you were around back in those days!
    Its not the Canadian sprinting League, it’s the Canadian FOOTBALL League.
    Nik Lewis catches a higher percentage of passes than anybody. He’s money on 2nd down. He uses his size to his advantage by being a perennial YAC Yards leader as well. Just try tackling him!
    Yet, you don’t like him because he’s not some generic tall, skinny sprinter type?
    I would suggest you start watching the NBA instead.

21. Pointing out how Fatty Lewis is embarassingly overweight is just stating facts.

Complaints about my comments being too “negative” are a feeble excuse from those who can’t handle reality.

I look at each team/player/coach objectively and call it as I see it, my friends. Sometimes my comments will be harshly critical, sometimes my comments will be effusive in their praise.

When I point out Micah Awe is a very good LB – – hard hitting and aggressive with excellent range – – the snowflakes who whine about me being “negative” are apoplectic because Awe KTFO’d a few guys. As if that’s a bad thing for a LB to do.

As always, I stand by my assessments and I’ll be certain to remind everyone of them. Just as I did with my previous comments concerning Matt Coates.

22. Anonymoose // May 14, 2018 at 10:02 pm //

3 comments in and already you people devolve into knuckle dragging imbeciles.
    The comment section in this site seriously needs to be removed.

23. BC Dave // May 14, 2018 at 10:20 pm //

24. BJ Brunneg // May 14, 2018 at 10:38 pm //

“3 comments in and already you people devolve into knuckle dragging imbeciles. The comment section in this site seriously needs to be removed.”
    “No, the morons need to be removed so the normal people can have enjoyable dialogue. Morons like IQ 51 who think they vomit reality when they would not know reality if it came and slapped then in the face.”

THOSE ^^^^
    Way, way too much of that crap going on in here! Really takes away from the story when all anybody can do is start cutting others up right away. Can really do without all of it.
    Also, some serious “internet muscle” going on…..would love to see some of these posters say the things they say here to the face of the players they are dissing. I mean, Lewis goes 5’10”, 240, which may be a little oversized, but I figure after 14 seasons playing, I know I certainly wouldn’t want to call him “fat” to his face. And, I wonder if the 51 person would…..

25. Edward Leslie // May 14, 2018 at 10:54 pm //

BJ: you’re right. Nik would pancake Area 51 I bet.
    By the way, Area 51, Nik might get into game shape by EATING pancakes for all we know, but if it works for him, who are to question.
    So many of the players nowadays practically live in the gym, obsessed with a hedonistic self image. Then there’s all these players who take Performance enhancing drugs.
    Well, how many of them end up having as long and successful of a career as Nik Lewis? Very very few.
    I rest my case.
    Nik Lewis will be a First ballot CFL hall of famer when he retires. He sure doesn’t deserve to be distrespectes by the likes of you, Area 51!

26. Unlike most, I don’t hide behind an anonymous screen name. Never understood why people are so terrified of having their “secret online handle” revealed.

Maybe that’s why some are constantly mentioning my identity throughout these threads – – hoping to scare me into silence? Hahaha…

27. Regina is a great city to live in because only 82% of the population are gophers..

28. BJ Brunneg // May 15, 2018 at 12:10 am //

3downnation, please, please remove the comments section. This is complete BS! Nothing to do with the original story. Or football……..

29. Are you being forced to read the comments section, my friend?

You could just stop reading at the end of the story. Or, you could grow a pair and quit whining.

30. Edward Leslie // May 15, 2018 at 1:25 am //

Will wonders never cease? I actually agree with you this time, Area 51.

Hopefully BJ isn’t serious about shutting down freedom of speech just because he doesn’t agree with some of the comments.
    The suggestion of just reading the article AND not the comments ,if they bother you makes sense.

By the way, Area 51 you say you “don’t hide behind a user name.” I use my real name. I kind if doubt Area 51 is yours though.
    In any case, best of regards to your parents Mr & Mrs 51.

• I’ve been using the name “Area51” for almost 20 years on various CIS and CFL message boards. Interestingly, I’ve been permanently banned from every one of them but this. One thing you’ll never see me do is try to circumvent by using a different handle.

I never make mention of my name because I think it’s pretentious. But there’s been numerous people in every forum that I’ve been at who’ve “revealed” my identity. It’s been mentioned in this thread, actually.

Which I could not care less about. At other sites I’ve had people post links to my websites, post where I live, one even posted a picture of my kids and I at an Argos game.

Speaking of which, I’ve toned it down quite a bit at games now that I bring my kids. If you think I talk shit on here, I can tell you it was 10x worse at the games. Never had anyone who’s wanted to fight, but I’ve had food, beverages, cans and bottles thrown at me in road games. Which was great because more often that not the debris would end up hitting the home fans sitting around me. That was always good for a laugh.

• Ridersrule // May 15, 2018 at 11:09 am //

Wow and all these things you seem very proud of. You are one of those loud mouth fans no one wants to sit with . If you think the fans next to you enjoy your comments think again they are just humouring you . Plus you have children , we all can only hope they don’t take after you . I always knew you were an odd guy but this post has taken you to a whole new level. You make mr red acually somewhat normal and that’s saying a lot .

31. EdLES, good idea. The reason that fewer players stay up here permanently is that they are treated like cattle: contracts not honored by simply cutting the player, bonuses similarly denied. If a player doesn’t know which team he will be playing for, why would you expect him to buy a house up here, only to be re-cycled to another team?

• Cat Fan // May 15, 2018 at 9:35 am //

Maybe … but I doubt it.

More likely they have roots elsewhere so unless something convinces them to stay like having a GF or feeling less stressed when walking around town – the default is going to be to go back.

Who says one needs to buy a house to stay?
      I can recall lots of players who rented where the house came into play after marriage/retirement.

32. Colourmegreen // May 15, 2018 at 8:30 am //

Nil got a signing bonus and no out cry???
    Love the city of Regina. Don’t have to lock your doors, safe and clean. Rush hour traffic doesn’t delay you too much. Sense of community and friendliness unmatched in Canada.

33. 1 down 1 to go. Nik made it official for the 2nd time and Chip should follow soon I suppose. Cox will most likely get a little push to do so by the Als due to his salary and age no doubt.

34. Tiger man // May 17, 2018 at 8:08 am //

As long as Cox can clutch and grab he will be back.