Bombers sign Canadian QB Zack Mahoney

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed Canadian quarterback Zack Mahoney.

Mahoney was a late add to the 2018 CFL draft class, but he went unselected.

Each team can bring two Canadian players, often draft-eligible athletes that were passed over, to training camp as long as they have not played a down in the CFL. Just like CFL draft picks those players do not count as part of the team’s 75-man roster. However, draft-eligible free agents like Mahoney do count towards the roster number.

The 6-foot-2, 192 pounder is originally from LaGrange Park, Illinois played one season of junior college ball before transferring to Syracuse and making the team as a walk-on. He began as the fifth-stringer but started four games, then served as the back up his last two seasons. Overall, Mahoney played in 25 career games, starting nine, and threw for 1,949 yards and 18 touchdowns against 10 interceptions with a 53 percent completion percentage. He added 100 carries for 242 yards and four touchdowns on the ground.

29 Comments on Bombers sign Canadian QB Zack Mahoney

1. Desperation signing by the Bombers after Durant blindsided them today.

This guy was terrible at the SYR, and is a total scrub. He’s pretty tough though and can take some big hits, so he may be useful as a tackling dummy during training camp. But as a QB, he’s hopeless.

• He might provide some resiliency at QB if Wpg starts Patrick Neufeld on the O line.

• Neufeld looked more aggressive than Bond and played to the whistle. Looking forward to him playing and hopefully staying healthy…

• SensFan92 // May 11, 2018 at 5:51 pm //

AGREED!!!! WHAT CAN THIS GUY POSSIBLY BRING TO A TEAM?!?!??!?

• Colin Unger // May 12, 2018 at 12:25 am //

I doubt this signing has much to do with Darian. Maybe to add competiton for the 3rd string job but the bombers already have better candidates than this for the 2nd string job.

2. The TSN panel talked about him quite a bit on the draft coverage and Farhan Lalji really liked him and thought he could be a very good prospect

• Feel free to believe whoever you want, my friend – – an assessment from me or some drivel from Far Out Lalji – – but I can assure you this guy is absolute garbage.

• RiderPrider // May 11, 2018 at 3:29 pm //

So we have either drivel from Lalji, or an assessment from you. Who are you exactly…a keyboard warrior? We’ll trust Lalji’s drivel over your assessment any day thank you.

• As always, I stand by my assessments.

Let’s revisit this signing in a month and see how soon until the guy gets cut and ends up back on the scrap heap.

I really, REALLY, wish he’d get into a game just so you’d be able to see a Seth Doege-like performance from him and realize what I’m telling you.

• Flanker41 // May 11, 2018 at 3:41 pm //

Yes, Mr 51, what are your bona fides? Farhan did coach his HS team to a provincial championship, so I assume he knows something about football. You sir?

• Far Out Lalji rarely offers any actual assessments of players or coaches – – he simply regurgitates what he’s been told by others.

WTF good is that?

Unlike Far Out Lalji, I don’t rely on anyone to tell me what’s happening on the field – – I wait until I’ve see enough of a player to know whether or not he has any talent before offering my assessment.

Had a good laugh at his “credentials” as a high school football coach in BC. A high school football coach? In Canada? Bahahaha…

• Richard Cunningham // May 11, 2018 at 4:29 pm //

Your assessment and any one elses is wrong. You’ve never seen The guy play in the CFL. Although personally i think he’ll just be a camp arm you cant call guy garbage who’s never played up here before.

• I saw the game against Louisville last year – – admittedly I was only watching it to see Lamar Jackson.

This Mahoney character happened to be starting for SYR and he was unspeakably bad. Like Seth Dodge bad. It wasn’t even a man vs boys comparison with the two QBs – – more like man vs infant.

The guy couldn’t make a throw if his life depended on it. I think he had as many INTs as he did completions. Believe me, I saw all I needed to see to know that he’s completely useless.

• Syracusefan // May 13, 2018 at 12:25 pm //

They forgot to mention during that game that he was playing on a broken foot

3. Another Canadian QB signing………yet we hear from the usual complainers that Canadian QBs just don’t get a chance.
    Area51 – he played at Syracuse which puts him far ahead of any CIS QB !!

• I agree 100% – – playing at major D1 conference is light years ahead of the calibre of play in the CIS – – but there’s also a ton of horrifically bad QBs in the NCAA.

That’s why pro QB is the most difficult position in all of sports.

• Bombers down to 3 QBs.
        Teams keep 3 QBs and he has a chance to be kept on the practice roster at least.

4. With Durant’s departure they had only 3 QBs, signing Mahoney makes sense. He has a better chance of making the Bomber’s roster than Picton has in Toronto with 6 QBs there.

5. Area51 is correct. His leadership skills are sub par, his accuracy leaves much to be desired, and a pending domestic abuse charge, soon to surface, render him useless to all teams not green and white.

• Every Story…..you have to veer off. Get serious !!

• True green // May 12, 2018 at 1:32 am //

Enough of your slander about a domestic abuse charge. That’s pathetic to make up something like that. Not surprised with you at all.

6. Mr hemorRED // May 11, 2018 at 5:06 pm //

And now in for the injured and ineffective IP Nichols is Boney Mahoney.

7. Big time agree with Area 51. Guy only had 1900 yards and a 6’4 pocket passer like Christian Strong is getting passed up after throwing for 9500 yards and 66 touchdowns. I’ve been high on him and always thought he was the best QB in this class, can’t understand this at all. Huge desperation move by the Bombers.

• I’ve never seen Strong play so I can’t comment on his game.

But I know it wouldn’t take much to be better than Mahoney. Nonsensical signing by the Bombers that defies logic.

8. Not saying he is going to come in dominate right away but at this point you’re aiming to find a QB with a high ceiling that you can develop. Strong is your prototypical pocket passer and ran a highly successful NCAA offense over multiple years. Put him in a system for a few years, and you never know what can happen. Just doesn’t make sense to take a flier on a guy with a lower ceiling AND floor like Mahoney.

9. From being a walk on at a major NCAA school to the CFL in a way a walk on again since he was signed as a undrafted free agent per say. Don’t sell this kid short so fast. He might a late bloomer if given the chance to develop and play.

• Curious to know if you’ve seen him play? If not, that would explain your comment above.

10. Colin Unger // May 12, 2018 at 12:28 am //

He was a qb they could add quickly in time for camp who doesn’t take up a roster spot because he’s a guy who went through the draft. Early in camp you don’t want to just have 3 qbs so it made sense to add a guy who would free up a roster spot for a player at a different position.

11. Edward Leslie // May 12, 2018 at 2:57 am //

I haven’t seen Mahoney play, but I read about him.
    His stats are a little misleading because he only played three seasons at Syracuse. He played one year of Junior College before that. And as a walk on, he definitely wasn’t handed reps. He had to wait in line for a while to get to play. He must have really done a good job to work his way up from #5 to #2, or
    1-B with a good program like Syracuse.

A lot of good Canadian players went to Syracuse. Tony Gabriel, Bernie Ruoff, Pat Woodcock, Marc Pilon and Tommy Kane among them. Mahoney’s one of those quasi-Canadians, who has a parent who was born here I guess. Still, I wish him luck with the Bombers.