Montreal Alouettes defensive coordinator Kahlil Carter is stepping down for personal reasons, the team announced Thursday morning.

Carter will be replaced by long-time CFL coordinator Rich Stubler, who was previously a “special advisor” with the club. Carter will also remain with the Als as a scout.

“I took this difficult decision because, at this point, the most important thing for me is to be able to spend more time with my family”, said Carter in a statement released by the Alouettes. “I’m happy to remain a part of the Alouettes as a scout, a position that will give me more flexibility in terms of time management.”

Carter joined the Alouettes this winter after three years as the defensive backs coach in Calgary,

“We understand Kahlil’s situation. We offered him an alternative position in our organization to accommodate him, and we’re glad that this allows him to remain with the team”, head coach Mike Sherman said.

40 Comments on Kahlil Carter steps down as Alouettes’ defensive coordinator for ‘personal reasons’

1. Lancaster/Reed // May 10, 2018 at 8:38 am //

In other words, he looked at the defensive players,talked to the head coach on what he wanted defensively, thought to himself “ what the f did i get myself into”, and quit.

2. Jerrigan // May 10, 2018 at 9:09 am //

I didn’t realize 3down had interviewed Carter so that they could reproduce his quote as their own. Wait, no they didn’t. They just say a statement released by the Als while they provide no link to the Als’ website or the article it’s taken from.

This entire article is content theft. 3down doesn’t cite sources nor give credit for the interview nor the content.

• Ridiculous comments. The Als issued a press release and 3DN reported it. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

• Awaiting Moderation // May 10, 2018 at 11:26 am //

Exactly.
        Try reading AND UNDERSTANDING the article next time jerrigan.

3. I hardly think quoting from a press release is considered plagiarism or journalistic plunder. Get a life.

• yes you are right, the teams do a press release and it’s repeated/quoted in the papers, radio, TV etc
      CFL.ca will have the same quote.

His family is in the US and he will stay down there as a scout. It’s obviously for personal reasons and we shouldn’t read too much into this.

• Yea but cfl.ca states the source and usually provides a link or something – 3D does not. I could care less but just so you know what this Jerrigan guy is probably trying to get at

• Cat Fan // May 10, 2018 at 11:16 am //

When is the CFL.ca going to update their version of this article with the source and/or link?

The only difference beyond having a picture with the article is the added paragraph about when Stubler joined the Als plus his career history.

• Awaiting Moderation // May 10, 2018 at 11:32 am //

“a statement released by the Alouettes” = source.
          What more do you need?

• Jerrigan // May 10, 2018 at 5:44 pm //

If you think its just me calling out 3down or trolling them you’re wrong. I’ve seen many reporters make comments about 3down’s lack of proper attribution. Including one a few minutes ago on twitter from Peter Mills.

@TweeterMillsCBC

Hey @3DownNation: I didn’t say anything the last Picton story when this happened, but can you stop using my photos on your website, especially when you don’t even attempt to give credit. Please and thanks. #CFL

3down is terrible at giving credit. Every time they use a quote or a photo, the original article should be linked to or the photographer should be cited. All other publications not interested in thieving content do this. 3down has to re-evaluate or else it’s going to get worse. The call outs are mounting.

• Tiger man // May 10, 2018 at 12:33 pm //

That’s why organizations issue PRESS releases, to make sure that the information issued by them is correct.

It is meant to be used….and even quoted…

4. Montreal is so desperate they will do anything to retain personnel. Replacing is a very difficult task when no one wants to work for you.

5. 1 year ago Carter was in football’s promised land. Now he’s walking the desert.

• riderontheisland // May 10, 2018 at 11:35 am //

Well it’s clear that Stumpville isn’t all you think it is if he left them for the Als

• he was fired. Dave D wanted Bell for the job long before he was let go

• riderontheisland // May 10, 2018 at 12:21 pm //

Not being offered a new contract is much different than getting fired. Besides DD is in his panic mode right now after yet another playoff failure. It wasn’t Carters Dbacks that were the problem in the Grey Cup, it was their offence. The obvious big turn over and Bo Peeps inability to move the ball for the last 1/3 of the game. I big play doesn’t kill the clock

6. Just when you thought there’s no possible way things could get worse in Montreal the braintrust appoints Rich Stubler as DC.

Stubler is a catastrophically bad coach. Once upon a time – – about two decades ago – – his match coverage scheme was cutting edge. Now it’s the equivalent of the Wing-T offence in terms of being outdated and obsolete.

More often than not, Stubler’s ridiculous scheme gets torched for huge gains. I had the unfortunate displeasure of having a front row seat during his most recent debacle in Toronto. It was an absolute disaster.

Seemingly after every big play the DBS would be waving their arms at each other trying to figure out who blew their coverage responsibility.

As bad as last year was in Montreal, this year is going to be even worse.

• riderontheisland // May 10, 2018 at 11:43 am //

51 beers, do you even believe or read what you print? Last year was a debacle and yet the Argos won or did you miss that part. And if you didn’t like that then just roll back to 2014 when he was DC of another cup winner. The man has a long list of successes so enough from you already.

• TheLastArgoFan // May 10, 2018 at 12:43 pm //

WTF?
        Corey Chamblin was the Argonauts DC last year when they won the GC.
        Stumbler was there the year before which was a complete disaster.

7. greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 10:17 am //

Before Carter went to Mtl there were rumours he wasn’t coming back to Calgary & it sounded like that was Huf’s decision. I can’t say for sure. Stubler as consultant, now DC? Maybe something’s come up fairly recent in his personal life but if this is a change of heart, the time commitment coaches put in, regardless of position, is enormous. To handle a scouting position involves a lot of time as well. The whole story has yet to be told. Business as usual in Mtl. In any case, best of luck to him.

8. Just saying // May 10, 2018 at 10:44 am //

He was demoted, because cutting him would constitute the als paying his salary out. So why not put him in as a scout. makes Als look good, and really how do you go from a Rookie DC to a scout anyway?

9. What a collection of useless trolls most of you are. Isn’t it entirely possible that the press release should be taken at face value? That maybe there’s something going on with his family (eg. a serious illness with a spouse, parent, child) that is driving this?

10. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 11:06 am //

Hey guys, I can understand the confusion and generalizations but please consider my words as truth. I accepted another position in scouting to use my Masters in Public Administration to further my growth as a professional. I love coaching. In 9 years Ive appeared in 5 championships, won two of them, produced 9 all league defensive backs, and 7 top 3 defenses. I have had immenses success as a coach, actually more than I did as a player and that was a wonderful 10 year journey through 5 leagues. This offseason, my family has greatly benefitted from me being at home and my new role In scouting as a Director will allow me to fulfill my a ademic and professional goals while also serving my family. Thank you for your interest but my family and the organization are on the same page and you can bet the Alouettes will be a force in the CFL for years yo come.

• Jane Jackel // May 10, 2018 at 12:36 pm //

Best of luck, Mr. Carter. I wish you every success.

• You had the same family when you accepted the position.

I personally think they should have fired your ass. You made the commitment to coach this defense, it is your play book. now you resign your position a couple weeks from camp. You should have seen the season through and then moved on to new functions.

11. Faker hogwash

12. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 11:42 am //

I believe Corey Chamblin took a person leave as well. Family is more important than coaching. Montreal gave me an opportunity to put my family first and Im going to take it. FAITH, FAMILY, FOOTBALL. Chasing championships put that out of whack for two years. I wont let that happen again. Oh and Mr. Red the desert has an outdoor pool and a very spacious view.

• riderontheisland // May 10, 2018 at 11:47 am //

Mr. Carter, that was awesome and please check in again. Nice to see some know-it-alls getting put in their place. Enjoy your family.

13. Elaine Ottoson // May 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm //

Nice to see someone comment with a real name.
    Good Luck Mr Carter

14. The Gong Show continues in Montreal.

• Agreed, it’s a complete shitshow in Montreal. They’ll be even worse this year. And knowing how fickle the Montreal “fans” are, with the franchise having folded twice before, I’m concerned for the future of the CFL in Montreal.

Had s good laugh at the assurance that Montreal “will be a force for years to come”. More like a total dumpster fire for years to come.

15. Edward Leslie // May 10, 2018 at 1:30 pm //

Well, Mr Carter, since you have a master’s degree, you should be smart enough to know that training camp begins soon and the season starts next month.
    It might have been prudent to remember your family and come to this decision back in January or February. Bailing out on your responsibilities on such short notice, and using your family as an excuse, is poor form on your part.
    I think the Alouettes just upgraded big time with Rich Stubler stepping in.

16. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 1:49 pm //

Mr. Leslie, the organization and I have been taking steps for months to ensure tge success of the club. I respect your opinion and Respectfully ask you to remember that many decisions are made in an organization privately. Go Als!

• Let’s hope you are all that and a bag of chips and this teams is competititve or the firing of Kavis and the whole lot of you will be very public and very swift.

17. Edward Leslie // May 10, 2018 at 2:14 pm //

I’m calling Shenanigans on this “I’m doing this for my family” reasoning.
    It sounds very selfless and noble, but it seems like a crutch to me, which is a cop out.
    More and more we are hearing people in sports “play the family card”. I find it disingenuous.

The only thing I like less is the “We decided to move in a different direction” reason given for firing, releasing or trading someone.
    Why can’t teams be truthful and simply say
    “We decided to get rid of that guy because he was a disappointment.” Or how about “A better player/ coach became available, so we made the no brainer to dump this guy who wasn’t very good.”
    Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

• Your theory doesn’t hold water because Stubler is a terrible DC and way past his best before date.

Reminiscent of 2008 when Toronto brought in Don Matthews after firing the incompetent Stubler midway through the season. Turned out that Matthews was an even worse choice as HC than Stubler was.

It was cringeworthy to see Matthews jay standing all alone on the 15yd line during games – – no headset on, hands behind his back, completely oblivious to the game.

Montreal announced the hiring of Carter and Stubler together so had they really wanted Stubler to be the DC the braintrust could have just appointed him back in January.

• riderontheisland // May 10, 2018 at 4:12 pm //

I would hate to be one of your kids because it’s obvious where they stand in your priorities

18. Carter was the DC and Stubler the mentor for a 1st year DC in the CFL. He did the right thing for his family and for the team and himself. Glad Rich is there to take over the position and keep the ball rolling on the defensive side of things. KC will help finding the talent flowing to the Als no doubt in his new position. Best of luck to him, Stub and the Als in the new realignment.

19. Edward Leslie // May 12, 2018 at 4:32 am //

Again, I’m calling shenanigans on Kahlil Carter and those who agree with him.
    He wants to spend more time with is family? The CFL football season is just six months long from training camp to the Grey Cup, if you make it that far.
    So six months isn’t long enough to spend with the kids during the off season?
    If it isn’t long enough, how about moving the wife and kids north? General Managers, Head Coaches and Coordinators make far more dough than the grunts who toil on the field (other than quarterbacks).
    Or is he saying that Montreal isn’t as good as Iowa?
    If that’s what he thinks, he’s just wrong.