Canadian QB Noah Picton going to learn from ‘a room full of greats’ with Argos

Noah Picton believes only positive things can happen from signing with the Toronto Argonauts.

Especially considering Picton will be learning from head coach Marc Trestman, Hall of Fame quarterback Anthony Calvillo and four-time Grey Cup champion Ricky Ray.

“It’s a room full of greats, I don’t think there is any better place that I could go at the quarterback position. It’s going to be a whirlwind of learning and knowledge. I’m just excited to get there and see how they operate and approach the game mentally,” Picton told 620 CKRM’s, Mitchell Blair.

“I definitely don’t think I could get worse learning from those guys. So I think it’s only going to improve the mental side of the game. They have so much experience and knowledge that I’m just looking to go soak up.”

The Argos inked Picton after he went unselected in the 2018 CFL draft.

“[The draft] is always going to bother you. Like I said from the get-go I just wanted to get into a camp, that’s the opportunity that I have right now. I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder whether or not [going undrafted] plays a part in it, at the end of the day I’m at a camp, so I’m happy with that,” Picton said.

“It’s exciting. It feels like all your hard work has come to something, but you understand that really all this is is a job interview now. There is a lot of work ahead. But I’m pleased obviously, I’m excited, I’m ready to go.”

Picton is aware of the hype around Canadian quarterbacks, but it’s not something he wants to get caught up in.

“My job isn’t to start debates. People will talk and it’s great, not to say that I don’t appreciate it, but my job is to go play football whether I’m Canadian or American, that’s really all I’m focused on,” Picton said.

“Going into Toronto I’m not going there with the intention of starting a Canadian quarterback conversation. I just want to go play some good football and show them what I can do. If that conversation gets going, that’s awesome but that’s definitely not my goal.”

31 Comments on Canadian QB Noah Picton going to learn from ‘a room full of greats’ with Argos

1. BC Dave // May 10, 2018 at 9:13 pm //

This is priceless. The ONE guy on here who is always negative, contributes little (if any) positive conversation and who did nothing but bash the crap out of this QB gets to watch him join his team.
    Should make a M/C commercial out of this.
    Signing Noah Picton to a contract – $70k
    Flying him to camp – $300
    Feeding and housing him for 2 weeks – $1500
    Having him dressed in an Argo Jersey in 2018 – PRICELESS

• MJ Bandit // May 10, 2018 at 9:45 pm //

Ultra doubtful Picton make the team – but you never know i guess – would be just priceless !

Maybe he could make Agenda 51’s midget coached team – no talent little scrub getting to play for an all-american wannnabe hero-worshipper ? Probably get cut there on the advice of a football super-expert like Jimmy Johnson as GM of the team ?

• Blueman // May 11, 2018 at 8:45 am //

He will get some training camp experience but with Ray, Franklin, Bethel-Thompson McLeod, Dakota Prukop and Jeff Mathews, he not going to get a spot.
        Bethel-Thompson is 6’4″ 230 pounds and tons of potential.
        That’s SIX QBs in camp and all except Picton with major league experience.
        Argos going to camp with 6 and the Stamps with 2 right now, maybe the Stamps could pick up Picton when he’s cut

• The competition is too stiff, ALL of the other QBs have experience at a high level.
          Ray, Franklin and Mathews all with CFL experience and NCAA training.
          You got the big QB who would be my choice as a short yardage or a running QB at 6’4″ and then Dakota Prukop a young guy out of Oregon with tons of potential.
          Mathews and Franklin are both 6’4″

I think the competition is too stiff for him. Unless he shows some remarkable talent he isn’t going to be around for pre-season.

• Cat Fan // May 11, 2018 at 2:27 pm //

Not sure why Mathews after his time in Hamilton and poor showing last year with the Argos hasn’t been dumped.

I expect there is too much competition … I don’t see why Mathews would have an upside versus Picton.

• And the guys that continually complain that Canadian QBs don’t get a chance should shut up.
      Where is Mr Leslie? lol – it proves that there is no plot to stop Canadian QBs.
      This year there will be 3 Canadian QBs in camps.
      Here is the opportunity for a Canadian QB to display what he can do.
      We will see what a 3,000 yard passer can do throwing against ex-NFL an ex-NCAA defenses. It’s going to be an eye-opener for him and great experience.

2. Scottsask // May 10, 2018 at 9:18 pm //

If there’s one place where a Qb will learn it’s Toronto.

• Blueman // May 11, 2018 at 8:47 am //

But there are SIX QBs on the Argos roster right now.
      He may get some work experience and will get paid for a few weeks work. But he won’t be around very long.

3. Ok guys, mentor away. You have an excellent student.
    Shape and mold that Canadian Qb for his CFL future.

• Let’s see if he makes the team first !!
      You don’t hand him a roster spot without seeing him first.

4. A room full of greats and one completely cluesless fan named Area51 who did nothing but trash the kid. Hahaha. Priceless. Good luck Noah! Hope you make it.

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 10:19 pm //

It would be a good story but no way he makes the team. The over/under on him actually throwing a pass was 0.5 on 3Down, was it not? Good PR move by the Argos. Good for Picton to get in a training camp with Ray, pick up some stuff from Calvillo & Trestman. It doesn’t get any better than that.

• Yes and if he is as great as everyone says then he may make the team. The coaches are going to see him every day and will be watching him closely.

5. Camp arm but good experience for the kid

6. Doesn’t he still have a year of eligibility left? Isn’t that what Buckley did? Was with the Stamps, the finished school and went back to Stamps knowing what to expect at a pro camp.

7. Don;t know is this guy can play at the next level, but it won’t be for lack of effort. He’s a spunky as they come…and a good head on him. If he can develop arm strength, he may be the next smurf to play QB at the pro level.

8. Let’s try that again, in English, without trying to follow a TV story. Don’t know if this guy can play at the next level, but it won’t be for lack of effort. He’s as spunky as they come…and a good head on him. If he can develop arm strength, he may be the next smurf to play QB at the pro level. Seems that a couple of guys named Lancaster and Flutie weren’t much bigger…and Lancaster never had great arm strength, but made up for that with his smarts.

9. Tinhead296 // May 11, 2018 at 12:41 am //

Great opportunity for the kid to learn from 2 of the best. What he lacks in size, he can gain in the mental aspect. Lancaster didn’t have the strongest arm, but was a master at reading defences. Flutie was short, but he could scramble. Not many Canadian QB’s get a shot, so this experience will be valuable for the kid. It can only make him better. Best of luck to him.

• Let’s not use the “not many Canadian QBs get a shot” – it’s not true. The problem is there have not been a lot of Canadian QBs to choose from. Last year there were 5 Canadians in camp and considering the amount of NCAA QBs available to Canadians that’s a pretty good ratio.

10. Wincher // May 11, 2018 at 12:52 am //

Simply put.

Thank you Noah, for being another respected leader of the Rams.

The list is a long one, and you are at the top of Saskatchewan football U. The best of the best. Humble with talent and, the knowledge to disregard all that matters not.

11. There are QB candidates with egos and self-entitlement, and there are more mature QB candidates who have the ability to recognize a job interview and a learning experience when they see it. Hope he enjoys the opportunity. Hope he makes the club.

12. Noah will do and be just fine. May be the best LEARNING SITUATION he could be with in signing with the Argos. His talent and dedication should win out in the long run either with the Argos or elsewhere in the league.

13. solara2000 // May 11, 2018 at 9:57 am //

Hey! Give’r man! If anyone can keep his head above water….

14. True green // May 11, 2018 at 10:11 am //

Great chance for the kid, if not for a roster spot (which is probably a lot shot this year with Toronto) then a rally good couple of weeks of mentorship. That could go a long way to help him get signed up as a 4th or 3rd with another club.

• Maybe the Stamps who only have 2 QBs going into camp.
      With 6 QBs in Toronto and with the other 5 having more experience, he won’t be staying in Toronto

15. True green // May 11, 2018 at 10:11 am //

I hope they number him 51

16. Many thanks to Coach Trestman who prizes football intelligence and knows how to put it to work.

17. Peter N // May 11, 2018 at 11:36 am //

Great opportunity for Noah to develop and be a better QB when he gets back to the Rams for his final year of U-Sport. Also could open other doors. Mark Mueller was another undersized Rams QB that made it to a camp with a CFL team (Riders) and got a few snaps in one preseason game. He was able to display his football intelligence at the pro level which in part lead to a coaching opportunity with the Stampeders. He is currently the RB’s coach in Calgary and has been on the staff for 5 years.

18. I think he will return to the CIS for a final year.
    The Argos have 6 QBs in camp and all except Picton have experience.
    There is no way he could make the 4th spot with the Argos.
    Ed Ilnicki was the number one pick for Ottawa last year, he couldn’t crack the roster so returned to the CIS for a final year and won the Hec Creighton.

19. Edward Leslie // May 13, 2018 at 3:42 am //

Toronto is going to be tough for him to make. I said so previously. But its not impossible. Ray will probably retire after the 2018 season and Mathews, Prukop and Bethel-Thonpson haven’t done much in the CFL. The Argos tended to keep four QBs on the actual roster last season: Ray/ Mathews/ Bethel-Thompson/ Prukop. They might have a Practice Roster spot open too.
    The question is would it be better to go and play a fifth year with the Calgary Dinos or be a 4th or 5th QB?