Lions sign receiver Kevin Elliott after he pays own way to B.C. mini-camp

Turns out Kevin Elliott made a smart investment.

The B.C. Lions signed the American receiver to a one-year contract after he paid his own way to attend Lions’ mini-camp in April. That’s rare for a veteran player, but it clearly showed how much Elliott wanted to keep his pro football career going.

Elliott broke into the CFL in 2015 with the Argos making 50 receptions for 642 yards and eight touchdowns in 16 games. After playing eight games in 2016, Elliott was released by Toronto along with three other pass catchers. He played parts of two seasons in Hamilton and then spent time as an Ottawa Redblack last season. The 29-year-old has 93 catches for 1,223 yards and 11 touchdowns in 30 career CFL games.

After going unselected in the 2012 NFL draft, Elliott signed as an undrafted free agent with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He played in 13 games and started one at receiver recording 10 catches for 108 yards that season. The Jaguars released Elliott in December and Buffalo picked him up. The Florida A&M University product suffered a torn ACL in 2013 Bills training camp and Buffalo placed him on injured reserve. Elliott was waived by the Bills in August 2014 and made his way to the CFL for the 2015 season.

Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham are entrenched on the Lions roster at the receiver position, but with Chris Williams and Nick Moore gone, there are American spots up for grabs.

15 Comments on Lions sign receiver Kevin Elliott after he pays own way to B.C. mini-camp

1. weslee // May 9, 2018 at 7:26 pm //

If the lions are too broke or too cheap to send him a ticket to camp, imagine what they plan on paying him???5

• BC Dave // May 9, 2018 at 8:27 pm //

It’s not a matter of cheap. It’s a matter of they were not interested and he felt he had something to show and paid his way to show it. Turned out to be a good investment as mentioned in the story.

• There was no investment so how could it be a good one I’m sorry but BC has become a dead beat dad….`1

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 12:51 pm //

Talking about a good investment by Elliott. Hard to argue that.

• BC Dave // May 10, 2018 at 10:55 pm //

I didn’t say investment by BC, first of all. As for the rest, we’ll just wait and see. At least they were open minded enough to sign him rather than be stubborn. I say good for both sides and I hope it works out well for both sides.

Pretty easy to sit behind a keyboard and label everyone isn’t it?

2. I was always impressed with Elliot. Good big body receiver and still young

3. Elliot paying his own way to mini-camp shows how motivated he will be this season to prove he should be given a receiving spot on the roster game after game. If Jennings has an excellent 2018 season like he did in 2016 Elliot’s decision to chose the Lions could be a great one for him going forward, unlike the Chris Williams signing last season which was a total failure.

4. BC Dave // May 9, 2018 at 8:32 pm //

Problem with Williams was the OC. They had no idea how to use him effectively. Said that all year long to a co-worker. Also said the Khari Jones would be gone. Last year was a disaster in so many ways. JJ getting back to form will be good for all the receivers. Expected to be explosive on O going into last year but just never happened. Expecting JJ (the OC) will make it happen this year. Will also help with attendance if we can light it up on Offence.

5. Great insight BC Dave. I agree with you that the primary reason Chris Williams failed as a BC Lion was due to how he was NOT effectively utilized in the offence, and this can be attributed to the former OC Khari Jones. Also, I blame OC Jones for the poor season Jennings had last season, due to poor play calling and a poor scheme on offence both of which contributed to a failure to put Jennings in a position to succeed on the field in 2017. The biggest key to success for the offense in 2018 will be the play of the O-Line. I like the work that the new GM Hervey has done in the off season to change personnel; approximately 30% of the team will be new from 2017. The other thing that I like about Hervey is that he believes a football team should be built from the O-Line and the D-Line inward. We’ve heard the cliché as football fans that a football game is won in the “trenches” I believe this to be true. It will be interesting to see how Hervey’s changes translate to wins and loses in 2018. Hervey has said he will be even more aggressive in free agency in 2019 at filling holes in the Lions roster. I predict that the Lions will be Grey Cup contenders in 2019 at the latest. At the very least it will be interesting to see how Hervey’s guidance and decisions pan out over the next two years in regard to the “on field” product.

• unless
      this team is old this year…they are going nowhere…

• meant to say sold not old..

• BC Dave // May 10, 2018 at 11:02 pm //

Yeah, you’re right. Mr. Braley just does not have the arm anymore. No wait, he’s the receiver, he doesn’t have the hands any more. No wait, that is the receivers. I give up, you’re right anyway, new owner will come in the set a new record for sacks and most TD passes by a new owner.

Sheesh, I can’t believe I actually got sucked n to responding to that. Anyway, I respect your right to be wrong. Thanks for your opinion. Just remember it in 7 months.

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 1:02 pm //

Fully agree. Jones not only misused Williams but Johnson. Never understood why Wally put Jones back @ OC after Tedford demoted him. Loyalty perhaps. Lions will be better. Wouldn’t be surprised if McCoil comes back he goes to BC. They need help @ DB & Foster could play there. Elimimian, Awe & Lokombo would be a very good LB trio. Put McCoil in the mix, who can also play DB, & BC would be looking good. Probably won’t happen but you never know. Hervey has a good rep with his former players. Bigger need in Regina for LB so Jones would likely pay more.

6. BC Dave // May 10, 2018 at 11:10 pm //

I said I did not want to make predictions and I will try to stick to that but I do want to say this…I think we are building something special this year. When you look at the changes…GM, OC, ST coordinator, improvements on the O-line, improvements on the D-line, adequate replacements for Looch and Fenner (??), replacements in the secondary (??), we always find a gem among the new receivers, competition at RB (and potential depth). Solid at Long Snapper and kicker. Look at what Hervey did in Edmonton and compare it to what he is doing now. See any similarities? LOL. QBs behind JJ and Trav are unknown but I and pretty excited to see Ricky Lloyd and what he can do. Cant WAIT for it to start. Last year was a disaster and I believe we are going to fix it and then some. Nuff Said. As Red would say, enjoy the season.