Eskimos extend GM Sunderland, head coach Maas through 2020

The Edmonton Eskimos have extended the contracts of both general manager Brock Sunderland and head coach Jason Maas through the 2020 season.

The Esks had a team option on Sunderland, who joined the club before the 2017 season after coming over from the Redblacks. Meanwhile, Maas was entering the final year of the deal he signed before the 2016 season under then-general manager Ed Hervey.

Maas, 42, has gone 22-14 in his two seasons at the helm, leading the Eskimos to the postseason in both years. He has, however, come under scrutiny last year after a couple of emotional outbursts on the sideline – including one that saw him berate an assistant coach and another that led him to get all smashy-smashy with a headset – as well as his head-scratching decision to kick a field goal while down seven points with under two minutes to go in the West Division final in a game they ultimately lost to the Calgary Stampeders.

Sunderland is the youngest general manager in the CFL at 38 and joined the Eskimos after stints with the Montreal Alouettes, New York Jets and Ottawa Redblacks.

126 Comments on Eskimos extend GM Sunderland, head coach Maas through 2020

1. Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 3:12 pm //

A little surprised with Maas

2. solara2000 // May 8, 2018 at 3:18 pm //

Don’t see Mass’ extension as living out its term.

3. Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 3:22 pm //

I thought Maas would have a short leash considering some of his behavior issues.
    He does win and maybe the players like him. Who am I to judge what the Evil Empire does.

4. Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 3:26 pm //

If only you gave the same “ who am I to judge” consideration to the Riders.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 3:29 pm //

Get to the status of the Edmonton Eskimos and conduct yourselves in the same quite confident nature, and I will.

• So Moss blowing up on national TV(countless times) and not wearing mic’s when the league voted and told them they had to is in good nature? Your priorities are lost. Just gonna keep hating for no reason.

• Maas** stupid autocorrect..

• greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 4:11 pm //

You may want to listen to the TSN interview with Glenn after joining the Eskimos. When asked if he was concerned because of Maas’ reputation, his reply was he just left an organization with a hot headed coach himself. If you were at any Rider games, you’d have to be completely blind to not notice that Jones is tightly wound himself. In fact, after Lalji tweeted on Dec 3 Franklin was not “besties” with Jones, Franklin let out in an Argo interview that he didn’t appreciate being embarrassed on the sideline by a cussing assistant on Jones’ staff during the Labour Day in Calgary in 2015. It’s well known that players like playing for Maas. Lots of ex-RedBlacks on the Eskimos including the hiring of a RedBlacks scout this week. There’s a long list of Eskimos who won’t sign with Jones. Those who throw stones, eh Mr. Anonymous. Sunderland has always liked him or he wouldn’t have signed. Reilly is the 1st to tweet his pleasure earlier today. Good for the Esks. Great decision.

• But is this story about Chris Jones? No?
            Okay let me start with this.. you wouldn’t be doing your job as a coach if you didn’t let your players have it, when needed. Every single coach.. that coaches a sport is going to scream and yell at some point. But there are obvious boundaries.
            Are you going to tell me that when you watch CFL on TSN that Maas doesn’t blow up every time you see him on screen? I can see Jones blowing up on a guy after blown coverage or an easy drop. Maas blows up just to blow up. He’s a straight up hot head. Been like that since he was player. I’d even say that Kent Austin looks like a pussycat compared to Maas. And that’s saying a lot.
            If Franklin or Glenn can’t handle a bit of criticism, then they are in the wrong profession. They are the QB of a professional team. The face of the franchise(at one point or another). Enough said.

• greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 5:10 pm //

The Eskimos signed pretty much every FA they wanted outside of Figueroa, who has said nothing bad about the organization & was close to re-upping but got a better offer. That’s hardly the case with Jones. Should I mention again, Robbie, the likes of Chick expressed his displeasure at how his departure was handled – no class & that’s not like Chick. The list is long. Lemon told Dennis when he signed he made a big mistake. Do you hear anything from Willis? Franklin didn’t have any problems with Maas & I’m sure Glenn won’t either. They didn’t HAVE to mention Jones but they did. That’s not about being unable to handle criticism. It was personal & that’s why it was said. Why burn bridges unless you have no interest in playing for him again? I’ll be really curious to see what all you Jones’ apologists have to say when he’s gone. If not after this year, the year after. I still remember the crap thrown at Austin after winning a Cup & leaving. I still remember how upset Rider fans were when he came back to Canada & signed with Hamilton after all the talk about him surely returning to Regina. It’ll be nasty, entirely in keeping with how the ex-Riders were treated after beating released in 2016. Heroes no more. Couldn’t be gone fast enough. Loyal fans?. To the brand. To players & coaches? Those losers Chamblain & Taman. A fickle lot.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 4:30 pm //

why are my feelings on Mass vs you beloved Jones, so important to you. What kind of conciliation do you want from me?

• If you actually read my first post… Again read it. I never once said anything about Jones. I was simply stating your priorities are F*cked. I think 98% of the people on this site will agree with me. Your obsession of Jones and anything Riders is just outright scary. Please do find some much needed professional help. I think everything is concerned for you. Nice try little red riding hood. 😉

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 4:32 pm //

lol

• Mr Red dont worry about arguing with these sliders fans as they are a yappy , irritating bunch that are so frustrated that they cant have a winner ,4 cups in 100 plus years plus year after year after year of losing and finishing in the basement or 4th place will do that to you , so just smile and let them whine

• Dave Redbulls and cookies aren’t healthy for a body. You can’t live off of those.
            I guess at the very least you are up to date with our history, it truly does show you care. Even if its just a little bit. Good job little guy *pats dave on the back* 🙂

• Hmm Greenenvy?. The weird part is.. this is a business. He had to release those players because of cap restrictions caused by the previous regime. Again if these professional football players can’t figure it out, they are in the wrong business.
          You don’t think a lot of those emotional Rider fans liked it? I can tell you of some of my family members were calling for Jones’s head. While I stayed even keeled knowing it had to be done. Everyone felt the ripple of the releases, but it was needed. There was no way they were worth as much as they were.

I have never liked Kent Austin.. at all. For as long as I have been a rider fan. He is irrelevant.
          See you are doing the opposite of what of a lot delusional Rider fans do and expect every player to resign with Jones. Only yours is saying that NONE of his previous players want to play for him ever again. Which is a bunch of BullS*it. Every player has coaches they like or dislike. Is it possible that these players were part of that list? It’s sports dude. In case you forgot.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

He’s an emotional guy who wants to win. It get frustrating when you can never beat Calgary.

• C.....UR......Soul // May 8, 2018 at 4:28 pm //

More like sneaky, underhanded deceitful nature…You know much like Calgary, the teams that lie in the shadows and don’t admit they do the same things other teams do…LMAO Huff, Wally and Sunderland they were the kids in school who had eaten the cake they weren’t suppose to touch, it was all over their face but wouldn’t admit they had any….You know Pussies!!!

• It’s because the sliders don’t deserve the respect that the Eskimos command

• Lol Sliders!!! You are so original. Do you have the mental capacity to come up with something new? My guess is probably not. Just try and loosen that strap on your special walking helmet 😉

• greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 4:15 pm //

Yes Robbie. Your comments are always must read. Helmets don’t help any more in your case, do they?

• I would still be wearing it, but my it kept falling over my eyes.
            On a serious note:
            I’m not the one reusing a washed out term. Aka “Sliders” every 2 or 3 words. At the very least, I come up with new and fun burns.. Just saying. You seem to think your comments are more relevant or more holier than everyone on this site. Please do explain yourself. As far as I’m concerned you on the same lowly level. You are not better than anyone.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 4:26 pm //

I Like:
          refwhiners
          Huffhiders

• Huffhiders.. I actually like that. You must’ve had a lapse in thought, thinking about your GM coming up with that one. The old Huff does like to hide his cheating ways. Thanks for pointing that out sir. You truly are a Rider fan. 🙂

• Its because you sliders fans always gotta make a comment about your sliders in every story even ehen the story has NOTHING to do with your sliders a perrenial 4 th or 5th place team if the story isnt about your lowly sliders , dont bring your lowly team into somewhere it has no business being in .NOBODY besides ur province cares about your team NOBODY. GET IT! GOT IT! GOOD

• Lol someone have a little too much sugar this afternoon? It may be time for you to lay off for a bit and calm down. Also, I’d say all of the Rider Priders around the world would disagree with your statement.

• Only used the term 4 times and still didn’t make a point. Back to licking windows, and eating crayons young davey….mommy will be home shortly. Maybe she will take you out for sliders.

• The best Grey Cup ever was in 2009 when the sliders lost the game for having too many men on the field ,I laughed so hard at that game and I haven’t stopped laughing at the sliders fans ever since that game.It couldn’t have happened to a better team than than “sliders”

• I bet you laugh and giggle at the mobiles mommy has hung above your big boy bed too, huh little Davey. You gonna see if she will take you for sliders today ?

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 6:03 pm //

It was more in reference to your chicken ass coach afraid to shake hands with him. Running off the field faster than the McMahon rabbit. Refwhiners is your constant blaming of the refs after a loss.

• No you didn’t little red. Don’t kid yourself, you knew what you were typing. You little Rider fan you. 😉
            My money is on Jones kicking Dickies ass in a bar fight. No questions.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 7:26 pm //

Pretty sure former NFL athlete and still in shape Dave Dickenson would kick cornbread champion, Chris Jones without a bead of sweat.

• Good lord Red – yesterday it was “I know you are but what am I” Today you’ve moved on to “my Dad can beat your Dad”

I bet you’re a real drag in the sandbox.

• Lol Yup, he is a special kind of stupid.
            Little Dick hasn’t played in 10 years and is the size of a twig.. Plus lets not forget those lovely head issues. One good punch and little Dickie is done. Again I’m taking the wiley Jones, no contest.

• C.....UR......Soul // May 8, 2018 at 4:32 pm //

No it is because redboy hates the Riders and loves to promote that. Don’t kid yourself because one person on here doesn’t bash the evil shit hole doesn’t mean they deserve respect silly boy…

• greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 5:22 pm //

Well, that made me laugh. You remember the robbers who got caught because they put on their masks backwards going into a pharmacy & couldn’t see? Try turning your helmet around. I react to other people’s comments, RobE. You can go back to almost every post. When I don’t react to others’ comments, I usually post positive things. Even earlier today (see Rider Wall of Honour inductees for example). Holier than thou? Know-it-all? Sure. I get it. I keep it 100. It is what it is.

• At the very least I can get a laugh, isn’t that what were are here for? 🙂
          Long story short, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 7:28 pm //

Long story short. The riders haven’t earned the respect the Eskimos deserve. Remember, I’m a fan of their biggest rival saying this.

• Hood hood hood. You are also more of a hater of anything Riders. So you will say anything to try and insult us. You can’t BS a BSer.

5. Darren // May 8, 2018 at 4:38 pm //

For all you Jason Maas haters, looks like you have to eat it for another few years! LMAO

This actually was a no brainier with Maas being 22-14 and 2-2 in the playoffs in the last two years. Comparatively speaking Chris Jones is 15-21 and 1-1 in the playoffs in the same time period, so Maas was an upgrade.

The Esks are contenders to win the West, the Western Final and the Grey Cup in 2018, because of Sunderland and Maas not in spite of them.

This signing just makes good football sense.

• Sorry Darren, I disagree. You mean him taking a team over that was already built for success from the previous regime? That doesn’t prove anything. Jones took at team that was one of the worst in the league and completely transformed it. Plus he had to coach on top of that.

I’m not going to argue that the Eskimos are contenders(possibly the most complete team in the league right now), but I think they could do it without Maas too. He’s not the end all or be all in the esks organization.

• greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 5:52 pm //

Sigh. RobE, Jones did NOT build the Eskimos. The 2013 club had Reilly, Bowman, White, McCarty, Coleman, Ramsay, Rottier, O’Donnell, Coehoorn, Chambers from the offence. The defence had Grymes, Willis, Sherritt, Howard, Sewell, Steele & Marcel Young. All of them were part of the 2015 championship. The heart of that 2013 club is still there. As for building the team, why is it only in Regina they give credit to all the players Jones brought in as a coach? GM’s bring in players. Even now, Murphy never seems to find anyone if you read the Regina media. Only Jones does. If it wasn’t abundantly clear already, when Hervey grabs 5 of the top 20 draft prospects & Jones takes a future 1st & only has 5 draft choices in all, who exactly brings in talent? The Eskimos & Stamps have done very well without Jones. Do you really believe that Jones, & not Hervey, brought in Walker just because he was there at the time. Hervey, an ex-receiver, who brought in Zylstra & Duke Williams since Jones left needed Jones to find talent for him? Really? Ladler was another guy who came in after Jones. Why would Grymes not go back to Jones – or Walker or Franklin? Little known fact – I am sure Darren who is an Esk expert knows this. Franklin was brought to camp because Reilly wanted him in camp. Reilly liked him. Of course that doesn’t play well in Regina. But Franklin hasn’t exactly been complimentary of Jones & doesn’t it make sense that another QB would see his talent rather than a DC? Fake news. Jones hasn’t built any team yet. He got his 1st 3 Cups the same year he arrived in Mtl, then Cal, then Toronto. The team was there ALREADY. Jones, the DB coach in Mtl & DC in Calgary & Toronto didn’t build a team in one year unless you think Popp, Huf & Barker are going to stand aside & let a new co-ordinator make those decisions for them. That’s ridiculous.

• I’m not saying he is the reason all of these players were found..
          But the funny thing is.. you guys fail to realize he has more influence in the clubs he coached than more people realize. He was head scout for those teams while there. But nobody even really knew that. Did they? The internet is a wondrous thing.

I never said that Chris Jones is the only reason the Esks won the Grey Cup, I am saying that he did help find players and get them playing together as a team. If i’m not mistaken the team was 14-4 that year. First in the West. So i’d say he did a pretty good job.

Also again this discussion article is about Jason Maas, whom I believe is a hot head coach that shows no respect to the league with his attitude. This isn’t about GM’s? is it? What has Jason Maas really done? He’s like Dickenson, he inherited a very, very good team. That was built by the previous regime. You can’t deny that fact.
          God you f*ckers really need to learn how to read.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 7:43 pm //

Well RobE I can tell you this. In the case of Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton….these teams have remained strong teams after Chris Jones left, in fact arguably better in some cases!
            The Eskimos were very average in 2015 until Mike Reilly returned in the 4th Quarter of labor day. His return sparked the team, nothing Chris Jones did.

• You know what you need to add to your commentary? Length. You need more length. Why bore the hell out of some of us when you can bore the hell out all of us. Yes indeed, you need more length.

• thethinman // May 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm //

Whoa RobE. “Plus he had to coach too”?? Since when was Jones the GM or Director of Player Personnel with the Eskimos?? Love is blind I guess. You & Chris – awwww.

• Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 7:31 pm //

Completely transformed it!!!!!!!???????
        4th place is a complete transformation from 5th place!!!!??????

• Sorry Rob you are out to lunch, Jason Maas installed a completely different offense. Let’s look at the facts … Maas’ Smashmouth Spread Offense has accomplished the following:

– Add approx 1000 yards more offense per year over McAdoo’s pedestrian offense … all passing yards.
        – Scored 55 and then 90 more points per season in the last two.
        – Dropped sacks against from 5th (47) under McAdoo to 1st (29) under Maas.
        – Rush TD’s went from 10 under McAdoo to 20 and 21 in the last two years under Maas.
        – Interceptions dropped from 21 to 12 and 13 in the last two years.

The numbers go on and on like this, showing improvement after improvement with as you pointed out the same core players that Chris Jones had. So why, did Mike Reilly’s QB rating go from 88/89 to 103/104? It has nothing to do with Maas and his coaching staff … naw … oh wait coaching actually matters in football, with all those schemes and play calling doesn’t Rob?

Here’s the big thing … Jason Maas and his staff dealt with the loss of Dexter McCoil, Pat Watkins (injuries in 2016), Otha Foster, Aaron Grymes (to the NFL), John Ojo (injuries in 2016), Willie Jefferson, Kenny Stafford, Kendial Lawrence, Akeem Shavers and Shamawd Chambers all in 2016, while installing new offenses and defenses. Yet, Maas coached the Esks to the playoffs and was above .500 in his rookie Head Coaching year. All this while many non-Eskie fans mostly from Riderville were calling for Maas demise, because Chris Jones was going to attract many Eskimos making them much worse. Yet, somehow the opposite has happened!

I guess Maas having about the same winning percentage as Huge Campbell as a rookie H.C. who took over for a successful Ray Jauch isn’t all that impressive to some. However seeing he has improved the Eskies and saved them from the traitor Jones who attempted to destroy the Esks … well J Maas gets a big thumbs up from many Eskie fans and should cap of his meteoric ascent with a Grey Cup appearance and that should clearly say to critics take a double helping of shut the hell up.

6. Mr Red // May 8, 2018 at 6:07 pm //

Since becoming a manager, Jones had not found 1 good young prospect. None

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 9:07 pm //

Tobi Antigha, Dariusz Bladek, Rakim Cox, Sam Eguavoen, Antwane Grant, Makana Henry, Caleb Holley, Nick James, Christion Jones, Chris Lyles, Derrick Moncrief, Sam Williams. …..Red, your dangerously obsessive hatred has turned you into a blathering fool. Its just becoming painfully embarrasing just to even see your moronic posts, ad nauseum. Please stop. Just……. stop. Its getting pathetic.

• who? who? who? who? who? who? who? who? who? who? who? who?
        No one on that list has proven themselves as anything.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 10:38 pm //

Only in the eyes of a dumb cun* like you. Who has huff brought in the last 2 seasons? Nobody. Thats who. Not one single player worth mentioning. Oh i forgot. Ricky Stanzi. Nice .

• Calgary is 28-6-2 the last 2 years and 28-2-2 in meaningful games. Huff isn’t doing a massive salary dump every off season Apparently whoever he’s bringing in is working quite well. Quite well indeed 🙂
            OH! if you’re looking for big star power,,,,Alex Singleton, Ciante Evans, Shaquille Richardson :

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 11:05 pm //

Not well enough. CHOKE. Regular season chumps. Ive heard of singleton, but never heard of the other 2.

• Ciante Evans is a CFL All-Star corner his first 2 in the league and the best at his position. Shaquille Richardson is an Ace Sam who is now in the NFL. You must not watch many games.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 11:19 pm //

Alex singleton, thats the Thor wannabe, but without the muscle tone.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 11:27 pm //

Looked up ciante evans. He first played in 2015. You dont even know the basic facts about your own team . I asked for huffs finds for the last 2 seasons, and you couldnt even get that right. What a tool you are.

• lol so sorry Lancaster Reed
            I guess Huff just sucks because he only has 1 NEW player in the last 2 seasons who is a CFL Allstar.
            I’ve course I could rattle off many who had big impacts and are on the verge of stardom- I won’t because you won’t know who they are

• Lancaster/Reed // May 8, 2018 at 11:52 pm //

Oh too bad red. Huffs not looking too good. Richardson was on the bombers practice squad in 2015. So not a huff original. Do you really know so little about your own team? Not really surprised, you spend all your time obsessing over ,jones, carter and the riders.

• Oh and I wanted to apologize about Ciante Evans, he was only a CFL Allstar in his 2nd and 3rd years as a Stamp. How could Huff be so incompetent as to bring in a guy who couldn’t crack that starting secondary in his rookie year? Calgary was only Grey Cup Champs at the time!!

To bad you don’t hold Chris Jones to the same standard you do John Huffnagel.
            Subconsciously it’s different levels of expectation I suppose.

• Davaris Daniels
            2016
            11 games 886 yards and 9 TDs -Rookie of the year.
            Same year Mike Singleton was a rookie!
            Imagine that! Mike Singleton would win rookie of the year finalist hands down on any other team but, he couldn’t even secure the nomination in Calgary.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:07 am //

So red, what im hearing is huff didnt bring in anybody but singleton who has proven himself as anything in the last 2 seasons. And hes been at it for 10 years now. You would think he could get more than that with his long established network . And yet you criticize jones who has only been a gm for 2 years and is still establishing his network as a gm.

• I believe Thor has blond hair, Singleton doesn’t. But now that you’ve pointed that out; what a wannabe he is, I realize he sucks. Best young player in the league, defensive player of the year, it means nothing. I’m sure when he becomes an FA next off season, you would be upset if the riders signed him?

• No sir
            Singleton is the only rookie in the last 2 years to be a CFL ALLSTAR. I was being nice and only using the highest standard of measure there is. I was showing you mercury

• Huff was a Grey Cup champ his rookie season

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:28 am //

Daniels regressed 2nd year. 1 year flash. Easily surpassed in 2017 by these other teams 2016 rookies. Zylstra, Loffler, lauzon-seguin .

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:31 am //

Mercury? Are you threatening me with poison? Thats taking things too far. I know you have a mental disorder, but threatening another poster is just sick. You need to get professional help. I hope Dunk sees this threat.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:36 am //

I would be ok with the riders signing singleton. Every team needs good canadian depth players.

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:47 am //

Fun fact, huffs record against the riders in the playoffs is 1 win, 3, count them 1,2,3 losses.

• Yes he regressed a little in 2017, but if you look at it, he only play 13 games and still had nearly 750 yards and 4 TDs. Carter must have had 15-16 games at receiver. In a regressed year his numbers really aren’t that off Carters. And to think Carter was the team MOP!!!!! Shows you the difference of standards between the clubs

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 12:52 am //

Arent you even going to try to apologize for threatening me with mercury poisoning? Sicko.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 1:00 am //

I’m sorry I threatened you with Mercury.
            I remember playing with it in school

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 1:06 am //

Daniels was a starter and 3rd on his team in rec yds. Caleb holly was a 5th receiver/backup who also played 13 games, mostly as a backup, and only had 130 less yards than daniels.

• So? Are passing stats by receivers the end all to be all of football?
            No! Wins loses are. Afraid we got ya beat there!

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 3:17 pm //

And I’m 100% correct. A good prospect only becomes a good prospect the day he becomes an established player. Before that time everything is speculative.
            Jones has nothing to date and spends most of his time chasing down old, over paid veterans. That’s a fact jack.

• BC Dave // May 9, 2018 at 10:40 pm //

Assuming you ae right that they have not proven anything, in your previous post, you said he had not found one PROSPECT. You did not say anything about having fond anyone who has proven anything YET. Come one man. Are you not smarter than that. Are you really trying to just stir crap rater than contribute in a meaningful way.

I have see a few good posts from you. You finally climbed out of the basement where there are just 51 beer causing drunken type crap to spew. Don’t go back down there. You obvious hatred just pushed people TO them so you are defeating your own purpose.

• Area51 // May 9, 2018 at 1:45 am //

You can’t be serious with that list of no-talent hacks.

Serious question for Rider Fan – – would you trade every single one of them for Al Singleton?

• From the list that Lancaster gave? Absolutely not. There are a ton of potential starters on that list. Why would we give up all of those starters for 1 starter. No thanks.

7. greenenvy? // May 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm //

Rob, I don’t know where you get all this stuff. Torey Hunter was the main guy in scouting & was one of the 1st guys Hervey lured to BC. Ralph has been the head guy scouting Cdns under Hervey’s stay in Edmonton & is still there. He wasn’t the DB coach AND Head scout in Mtl. He got his 1st post in the CFL there because Chamblain recommended him. Even Jones has said this repeatedly. Jones never headed a scouting staff for anyone. It’s not exactly a secret the Riders wanted him for his coaching ability which would have caused problems as it was a lateral move from the Esks where he still had a year on his contract. Thus offering him the other titles, a sackful of money & complete control. It begs credibility that smart football people like Popp, Hufnagel & Barker would give a co-ordinator or DB coach control over scouting & ask the incumbent to step aside for a new incoming coach, especially someone completely unknown to the CFL as the case in the Mtl position.

• Did you actually look on the inter web? Do a little research and you will see your comment here is completely wrong.
      He has carried multiple titles every single place he went to coach. Including Asst head coach, Asst General manager, Director of player personnel and head of scouting. Nice try envy.

• That’s true, but he always worked under someone else’a direction and philosophy.

• greenenvy? // May 9, 2018 at 12:27 pm //

RobE. Sorry. He has those titles in Regina. He was given the titles of Asst Head Coach & Asst Director of Player Personnel in the last 2 years in Calgary but your assertion he was the head scout is nonsense. With the Argos he was asst head coach & asst GM. If you want to bring someone under contract over from another team you add titles. As a DB coach in his 1st year in Mtl & in the CFL do you actually believe he had an impact in what players were on the team? Hell of a rookie DB coach to transform a team upon arrival to a new league. The same thing happened in Calgary & Toronto. His 1st year they won the Cup. So I guess what you’re saying is these 2 teams looked at their prospects list & dumped a lot of players for ones Chris Jones had in mind & that won the Cup for them? Can a coach build a protected list & then take it to a new team & dump their protected guys? GM’s don’t all of a sudden change their scouting strategy because an assistant coach comes in. You have entire scouting departments & don’t throw all their work out the door for the new guy. Jones’ title in Edmonton was Head Coach. Period. Full Stop. Hervey was the Western Scout for the Esks before he took over as GM. Torey Hunter was the guy he listened to. And for the record Hervey was thrown under the bus by Jones. He believes you let the coach run the show & then has to try to defend him not having the team come out for the National Anthem on a couple of occasions, not allow them to take kids for carnival rides at Magic Monday, a 40+ year Eskimo tradition & so on. It was well known that Jones & Hervey tolerated each other but were not best buds. When the travelling gong show went to Regina you saw what happened. Reynolds now had to defend Jones’ actions after all the fines, until even he couldn’t put up with it any more. Jones is NOT a loyal guy to the city, to players or the team. He WILL be gone, count on it. He doesn’t spend 2 years in a hotel for nothing. Can’t speak for Darren or Eskie fans but the best thing that ever happened to them was Jones bailing on the players. They haven’t forgotten & Edmonton got a guy who bleeds green & gold. And, RobE, results show they got a better coach & GM now.

• Because Trestman lives full time in Toronto? June Jones lives in Hamilton? Because every coach and GM lives in their teams cities? Give your head a shake. Now you are just reaching.
          Well getting players to fit your Defensive scheme would help that defense would it not? This is common sense stuff man.

Hervey sure didn’t last long listening to Jason Maas and his not wearing the mic thing. Your points are moot.

We shall see envy. The season is upon us. Jason Maas isn’t what he’s cracked up to be. I can’t wait to watch those veins on his forehead start to pulsate every time you watch him on TV. It’s going to be glorious.

• greenenvy? // May 9, 2018 at 3:40 pm //

I’m not sure why Maas can manage to put together the top offence 3 years running & be not what he’s cracked up to be? That means logically you think he can do more. You obviously have very high expectations for him & that’s fantastic praise. BTW, his defence was good enough to best the Jones defence. Since Jones is cracked up to be the best DC in your parts, try holding him to the same high standard. And Hervey was canned by Rhodes who begged to differ with him, not Maas. But, we’ll see. Better win those 1st 5 vs the East. CFL likes to give the Riders a head start to even things out. It’ll be a fun season.

• Lets not worry about us this year. The pressure is on the home team to win the Grey Cup. Now that we have a true #1 QB, our offense will do just fine. We haven’t had the luxury of having a Mike Reilly running the offense.

8. Just saying // May 8, 2018 at 7:36 pm //

Huffhider thats funny

9. Good move. Mass is an astute football mind.

10. Impalast // May 8, 2018 at 7:52 pm //

I remember talking with Almondo Sewell after they won the Grey Cup and him saying how he never liked Chris Jones because of his ego, and apparently he wasn’t the only on the Eskimos roster that thought that way. Chris Jones left Edmonton to do his own thing, what a fool!!

11. Just saying // May 8, 2018 at 8:03 pm //

I remember talking to Almondo also and he said everyone including himself really enjoyed there time under Jones.

• Shaun Lemon is the only person you need to talk to. He’ll tell you the truth about Jones

• Area51 // May 9, 2018 at 1:40 am //

There’s many, many, other players besides Shawn Lemon who will tell you what a comical buffoon Chris Jones is. Start with Joe Cohen.

• Little Red, you keep bringing up Shaun Lemon as the ONE player that doesn’t like him. Maybe if Shaun actually tried to be coached a different style(aka drop into coverage) like he was brought in and paid to do, it would be a none issue. Not Jones fault he was disgruntled and could not, not rush the QB only. One dimensional player.

• Derek Dennis wasn’r overly complimentary either

• Well he did lose his job to a someone cheaper and better. He under performed big time last year. There was big expectations out of him when signed. He didn’t live up to his hype.

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 12:32 pm //

Funny that good players always underperform under Jones – Lemon, Capicciotti, Chick had 14 sacks after he left. I don’t think Dressler, Durant, Nichols, Franklin, Bowman… are enamoured of Jones. Should I go on?

• Lemon, Chick and Capicciotti were brutal last year.. Capicciotti was probably the most productive of the three. The rest you mentioned. Why do they even matter? They are all non existent players. Just made they got dumped. He obviously knew they were on the downward spiral. Nichols could be one exempt on this this list, but lets be realistic. He had to beat out Mike Reilly. Was never going to happen, Reilly is a hundred times better than him.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

He was poorly coached.
          He was over paid no matter how well he might have played. Watch him star again in Calgary.

• Well they do have the fill all of those massive gaps Huffy failed to fill after last season. I can’t wait for Jefferson and Hughes to chew him up and spit him out this year. They are going to make him look like a peewee player after they are done.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 1:24 pm //

Thats a classic thing for rider fan to say.
          Off season bragging leading to in season excuses.

• Nothing Classic about the 2 best d-lineman last year being on the same team now.
            Are you saying that those two would not wreak havoc against the best of o-lines?

• Impalast // May 8, 2018 at 11:46 pm //

You are full of it buddy

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 6:33 pm //

Lemon 8 sacks, 12 games. Jefferson 8 sacks, 18 games, Capicciotti 7 sacks, 18 games. Hardly brutal. Eastern Final. Lemon 5 tackles, THREE sacks. Put on a show for Chris. Jefferson 1 tackle. C’mon Willie, show up for the final. Lemon had Chris is his right pocket, Jeffy in the right. A little jealousy showing Robo.

• BC Dave // May 9, 2018 at 10:48 pm //

I talked to Almondo and he asked me if ANY football fans know English and if ANY of them know the difference between there, their and they’re? I said I doubt any of them spent THIER time actually thinking about the words they write. And please. spare me the grammar police comments. Just admit it makes people look like uneducated rubes when they write like that lol.

12. Looks like a good move by the Eskimos. Success of the job these guys are doing should continue. Mass hopefully is growing into the HC position in a more mature and professional manner. If not his days are numbered once a bad streak occurs. Hopefully not the case going forward.

13. Area51 // May 9, 2018 at 1:42 am //

Maas is one of the best coaches in the CFL – – this was a very good move by Edmonton to get him under contract.

14. Emotional outbursts aside, his feel and flavour of the game is in question. Should more late game nonsensical decisions occur, his tenure will be short. School is still out for him.

15. Paul Bomber // May 9, 2018 at 10:17 am //

Used to love Maas as a player even though he shredded the Bummers on more than one occasion, because he was the ultimate team-first guy that never let pride get in the way of developing Ricky Ray, and so not a surprise he got into coaching. But instead of maturing and growing, he seems to be turning into more of a petulant child. Too bad, but I guess if his team is making a good showing, Edm management will give him all the rope he needs.

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 12:38 pm //

Watch a little more football, Jack. Maas will be there when Jones is long gone in Regina. Probably outlasts O’Shea as well, Paul. Bombers are on the clock this year & you know it. The players love Maas. How many RedBlacks came to Edmonton? This week the Eskimos brought over another scout from Ottawa as well.

16. I wouldnt be so quick to give huff so much credit for singleton. Yes he is the GM that selected him and its a choice that has worked out better than those who picked before him. But singleton wasnt a unknown when he was selected. It was well documented that he was a good player and i read articles i think on this site pre draft that touted him as the most likely player in that draft to come in and start that season and will be a impact player.

• Paul Bomber // May 9, 2018 at 11:22 am //

Curious…. digressing here I know, but do you think it’s just a matter of time before he’ll end up in the NFL?

• And yet 5 teams (including Sask) passed on him!

• Truth is, had Singleton gone to Sask he probably wouldn’t have developed into the player he did

• Lol because the stamps are the center of all the universe. Samuel Eguavoen has been developing quite nicely. So again your facts are out to lunch, as per usual.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm //

“developing nicely” means nothing until they are established. This is only being brought up because another poster started throwing out rider names like they were superstar.
            Calgary is the hub of the CFL world.

• He’s getting his shot at middle now. He took over spots from players that went to the NFL. I’d say he’s going quite well.

LMAO!! You’re a funny little man. At least you a good for some comedy. Calgary the hub of the CFL!? That’s a great joke.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 1:43 pm //

Players all across the league will get changes this year. What are the riders do special?

• What do the stumps do that’s so special? Some players work out, some don’t It’s the luck of the draw. Eventually luck does run out.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 2:30 pm //

It’s not luck of the draw for Calgary, we win and win and win no matter who we replace. Murphy and Jones both witnessed this first hand, why can’t either do it on their own without the power of the white horse??

• Lancaster/Reed // May 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm //

Red, you post so much bs you can’t even remember what you are talking about. You said Jones hadn’t found one good “prospect “ not all star. Just a prospect. And I gave you a list of a bunch of good prospects jones found. Your idiocy is reaching all time highs.

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 3:47 pm //

Samuel who?

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 12:44 pm //

So Jimmy, my question to you is if he was touted as the most likely player to come in & start so everyone knew he was an impact player, why would 5 teams pass him up to get to Calgary at #6? Does that make Hufnagel stupid? You say he shouldn’t get credit & then make the case he should. Just saying.

17. First of all my screen name isnt jimmy good to know you read. Second i didnt sayhe shouldnt get credit i said i wouldnt be so quick to give him so much credit. Singleton wasnt a big find out of nowhere he was highly scouted and predicted to get taken in the first round. He was also considered a possible dark horse for first overall. Otger teams didbt pick him i cant tell you why they didnt but they obviously felt that other players would be better if not not perhaps in the long run. Drafting is a gamble. I was talking about 1 individual player not hufnagels ability overall. He has done a great job of finding players that are not so highly scouted. Singleton is a great player but he was a known commodity part of the CFL draft is also who you thibk wont get a NFL deal its possible teams thought he may get a shot at the NFL and didnt want the risk

• bigboypants // May 9, 2018 at 3:56 pm //

Fair enough. So why should Hufnagel not get so much credit for selecting a talented guy on his first chance? He recognized his talent and may have topped his draft list where 5 other guys saw more potential in other guys.

• Mr Red // May 9, 2018 at 6:01 pm //

The difference between Huff and Jones, is Huff has a more comprehensive system of scouting, Jones and many others simply picks the highest rated player from the combine available. Which is a poor way to do it and the reason for so many failures.
      Huff looks at draft ranking ,but also what player can best succeed in Calgary’s systems.
      You can’t tell me Jones was worried Singleton was going to the NFL, if that was the case he wouldn’t have drafted the way he did this year.
      He and 4 others simply weren’t has prepared as Huff.
      Nor were they with Tunde Adeleke last year, scouting had him listed as strictly a returner, but Calgary figured he could be a versatile defensive player too!
      He was right again!

• Lancaster/Reed // May 10, 2018 at 7:30 am //

Tunde hasnt proven anything. There are first year riders who did more than him.