Shuffle all: A few options for the Riders new entrance music

Tradition is great. It can unite a fanbase and can add a certain je ne sais quoi to the game day experience.

But, tradition for the sake of tradition? Meh.

Is that what the Riders have developed with their now famous “Bring ‘Em Out” introduction for the last number of years? Receiver Duron Carter sure seems to think so.

Based on the replies to that tweet, it seems that Rider Nation might be more open to change than Carter might have thought.

I haven’t regularly attended home games in a couple seasons, but from my era of being at every home game, it was the video at Taylor Field that played before the “bring ’em out” that sent chills down my spine.

Personally, I love teams that have their own entrance with their own music. Basically the only thing my Ottawa Senators continue to do right to this day. Do any of the Rider songs work? Maybe.

For Carter’s money, he seems to think they should be running onto the field to this song:

Not a bad choice, but does it provide the amp up factor that some other songs do? I don’t know. I get the “Roughrider” connection, but it might be lacking a certain something.

With that in mind, here are a few options the team could consider if they were actually looking to make a change. (Apologies to my good friend Bianca Millions of CTV Edmonton, Sandstorm didn’t make the cut.)

I haven’t regularly watched wrestling in years but few things still get me jacked up like hearing that glass smash. If pre-games weren’t timed out to the second for TSN, it would be even better if the music hit at different times ahead of each game, out of nowhere.

This song has a strong build up that can help whip the crowd into a frenzy. It’s fast, it’s heavy and the idea of the team being considered the “King” works. I could also be biased because this song pops up frequently on my music streaming service.

This song is always a classic but considering football games are, generally speaking, a family environment some editing would need to be done but it’s certainly not impossible. I also famously called this song Up In Here and not Party Up to 3DownNation’s Josh Smith on Twitter, as my musical knowledge is basically zero.

You could also go full ironic and do something like this.

Probably not, though.

My last suggestion presented without comment:

Just kidding. No one wants this.

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.
Joel Gasson
Joel Gasson
About Joel Gasson (178 Articles)
Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.

52 Comments on Shuffle all: A few options for the Riders new entrance music

1. White Horse // May 6, 2018 at 8:28 pm //

Give a rest…ridiculous trash!!

2. Paul Bomber // May 6, 2018 at 8:30 pm //

I don’t think CFL teams are desperate enough for tradition to have to get all weepy about changing a song. If Duron has spoken, change it up!
    BUT…for the record, there is entirely too much garbage pumped out of the PA system in general…. speaking for IGF here in Wpg at least.

• Paul Bomber // May 6, 2018 at 8:35 pm //

As in, I don’t have to hear AC/DC or a commercial at 150 DBs every time there is a microsecond between plays or when TSN is on a commercial break. Whine now complete.

• Green=Money // May 6, 2018 at 9:04 pm //

I agree, well said. I’ve never been to a game at IGF. What do,you guys come out to?

3. Peter North // May 6, 2018 at 8:31 pm //

“Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” by Wham.

4. Mr Red // May 6, 2018 at 8:33 pm //

You can tell the pick in the headline for the story is from the September 24th game vs the Stamps. It has to be, that’s the only time we’ve played there to date

5. Mr Red // May 6, 2018 at 8:43 pm //

How about a variation on those old Micheal Jordan commercials- “I wanna be like Mike” dub in “Calgary” for “Mike”

6. Mr Red // May 6, 2018 at 8:55 pm //

Song from the Classic Cheech and Chong Movie

Up in smoke, that’s where my money goes, in lungs and some up my nose. When troubled times begin to bother me, I take a toke and all my cares go up in smoke.

7. Blackhawk89 // May 6, 2018 at 9:39 pm //

It has to be “Loser” by Beck

8. Take this // May 6, 2018 at 9:39 pm //

Duron Carter should focus on catching the ball and his court cases. Who made him the music director? A lot of players have said they like “bring em out”. I don’t care to hear hip hop or rap. Perhaps Duron would prefer Jailhouse Rock. Who really cares what Duron Carter’s opinion is or what music he prefers.

9. Take this // May 6, 2018 at 9:42 pm //

It is only a matter of time before Duron Carter is played out and he already is corny.

10. True green // May 6, 2018 at 9:42 pm //

I personally don’t care if the song is overplayed, as it isn’t played at all in anything I listen to except at Rider games. Also, cheesy repetitive music is often played at games.

It’s my favourite moment, I love the intro. Don’t change it. Sorry DC, this fan doesn’t agree with you.

One last comment. This is a pretty stupid article, but I’m kicking back enjoying the sun in my yard and thought I’d add my opinion. But why in the world someone who isn’t a Rider fan would comment 4 times (so far) I’ll never understand. If his was an article about the Stamps game time song I sure wouldn’t read the article. 45% of comments from a non fan…. you’ve got issues buddy. Or, you’re a closet Rider. Just come out it’ll feel so good! Red if you’re tying to figure out who I’m talking about well, you’ll get it eventually.

• Riders23 // May 7, 2018 at 12:11 pm //

Agreed , and still with the same old story line ; well the mentally unbalanced need to spend their time obsessing over something !!! MR. WACKO / I am not in touch with reality at least cant harm anyone while pretending he is a football expert and spending 24/7/365 trolling for Riders articles !! Thank god for that small blessing .

11. RU4Real // May 6, 2018 at 9:45 pm //

Perhaps Joel should attend a few Rider games before he is allowed to comment on them. Mr Red don’t think your stumps are Gods gift to the CFL…far from it.

• The Stamps aren’t God’s Gift to the CFL, but they are the greatest show in football

12. Change it up. And dial down the sound on the stupid commercials.

13. Worrying about intro music truly qualifies for random thought of nothingness.
    This guy has too much time on his hands.
    He is a waste

• Duececoupe // May 7, 2018 at 9:47 am //

Oh my and once again you post without thinking or reading your own post . You are reading the article and posting on it and making a statement about how someone has to much time on their hands . Yet you took the time to read it and post .
      You are a living breathing oxymoron.

• 3rd and 1 // May 8, 2018 at 12:08 pm //

You see red it’s when U make comments like that it shows ignorance. It wasn’t this writer that started the discussion. All of the local sports Radio shows we’re discussing it more so because of its poor timing.
      They all basically said that had Carter left this alone until later. Or if he had to say something now. It would have been positive for the league had he mentioned something about the draft. Like how good the #1 overall receiver is. Anything, just anything about the draft that had just started.
      So give this writer a break you guys. He’s just in with the local radio sports talk shows theme.
      Also I agree… Red why so much input on an article that means so little.

14. MR. Green // May 6, 2018 at 10:12 pm //

Pirates of Saskatchewan

15. Wincher // May 6, 2018 at 10:48 pm //

Crazy Train… Simple.

16. Thumper55 // May 6, 2018 at 11:39 pm //

Definitely “Last Pirate of Saskatchewan” by The Arrogant Worms! If DC doesn’t like that one he hasn’t had enough of those special cookies he likes so much:)

• Jeremiah was a bullfrog // May 8, 2018 at 12:19 pm //

Sorry Thumper and Wincer but that last Pirate song has got to be the worst tune ever played in a stadium.
      I’m as big a Rider fan as anyone. I’ve also lived in 4 different Provinces and love SK. But that song is so corny the jiffy poppers at the dollar stores start popping corn the minute that song plays. It’s worse than the cheeziest crying country tune.
      It’s something that a group of inebriated ice fishing guys should be singing while standing in minus 20 degree temps hoping for a nibble.

17. Hail to the king is a perfect song for a pump up…. But then again I love metal. Also why the hell play a song if every third word is censored? Both DMX songs sound stupid

18. I think they could do a bit of a remix, but don’t think they have to drastically change it.

• Riders23 // May 7, 2018 at 12:19 pm //

Agreed , new remix– have some of ‘bring em out” for traditions sake and maybe some of DMX’s ‘Ruff Ryders anthem’ , I do like parts of it. I remember back in Kenny Miller’s coaching tenure he would make a ‘How do Riders Roll? comment before and after the team took the field apparently , so the anthem could be a bit of a throw back to that part of Rider lore .

19. Edward Leslie // May 7, 2018 at 2:56 am //

Strangers in the night… just because.

20. Intro music? what about the Bavarian white guy beer hall song played after touchdowns?

That song just seems racist somehow….

21. Brian Lower // May 7, 2018 at 6:44 am //

Must be a slow news day

22. Too bad football fans need intro songs and loud music between plays to get the crowd pumped up.
    At least in soccer the fans know what is going on and they don’t need loud music or the PA announcer telling fans to clap or cheer. The chanting and singing comes from the fans not some PA announcer trying to get the crowd pumped up.
    I wonder if CFL fans would know when to cheer or make noise without being told…………..lol

• Mr Red // May 7, 2018 at 8:40 am //

Some football fans are so annoying. I have this moron near me who screams when the stamps are coming out of the huddle and lining up. Worst possible moment!

23. Mr Red // May 7, 2018 at 8:51 am //

1000’s of Stamp fans will gather at historic McMahon this Saturday for fan fest to pick up their season tickets. I encourage all rider fans living in the area to come by for a free breakfast and to bask in the glory of it!
    I will make myself known,

24. Tiger man // May 7, 2018 at 9:29 am //

And the rest of us could care less…..

25. “I will make myself known” haha. Cue social media ready to rip you apart. Get your affairs in order old man, I don’t think you quite grasp how much of an a$$hole you are….but millennials will tear you to shreds. Stay hidden you keyboard warrior. Just my advice.

26. OldBaldGuy // May 7, 2018 at 10:33 am //

Red…that’s the whole point to your posts…to make yourself known, so I guess you’re being pretty consistent :)…anyhow, the Stamp games are mind-numbing when it comes to between-play music. It’s like, “historic” McMahon needs distraction to keep those A.D.D. fans minds off the dump they are sitting in…not to mention, the sideline announcer screaming for Stamp fans to cheer, like they were in comas all game…Far as Rider music goes, Carter is right about part of it. The “Bring ’em Out’ part is just fine, but the music leading up to it is garbled, slow and boring. I’d lead in with the Hail to the King to froth ’em up, then go right to the Bring-em-Out. y’er welcome…

• Winning games is my entertainment. Sounds like like rider fans have a lot of conditions on their patronage. They want a concert and party too. I guess it takes away from the pain of really bad football.

27. I don’t have a problem with “Bring em’ out.” In fact, Joel, like yourself, I get tingles going down my back when the green and white run out onto the playing field when the introduction is played. More importantly, the crowd instantly feeds off of that and inspires the team. In fact, the Calgary Flames have been playing Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire song probably for the past 30 years. So if Calgary management is not bored with Johnny’s song, I don’t see any problem with our song. Really, if Duron has a problem with it, that’s too bad!!!

28. Hamilton will be changing their entrance song when Manziel gets signed to ABBA’s
    “Money Money”

29. Its the 4 th place sliders seriously who cares

30. Provemewrong // May 7, 2018 at 7:39 pm //

How about “Bring in the clowns”. Perfect for Jones and crew.