Riders release four players, including Canadian OL Peter Dyakowski

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have released four players, three of them Canadians, offensive linemen Peter Dyakowski, Eddie Meredith and defensive backs Jeff Hecht and Taylor Mays.

Dyakowski is the most notable of the group. He came to Saskatchewan in a trade with the Argos last off-season that sent Armanti Edwards to Toronto. The 34-year-old started 18 games for the Riders last season. Previously Dyakowski was with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for 10 seasons.

Hecht was acquired via trade in August 2016 and re-signed with the Riders in March 2017, playing in 26 games making 28 tackles, 13 special teams tackles and forcing one fumble for Saskatchewan. The 32-year-old has suited up in 100 career CFL games after going unselected in the 2014 CFL draft. He won a Grey Cup with Calgary in 2014.

Meredith was selected in the fourth round, 32nd overall in the 2017 CFL draft.

Mays signed last October, playing in one game making two special teams tackles.

It’s possible that the releases are simply to create space for mini-camp. On April 30th all CFL clubs must be down to 75 players on the roster.

83 Comments on Riders release four players, including Canadian OL Peter Dyakowski

1. WOW! Just WOW!
    Who the hell is playing O-line for this team in 2018??
    Didn’t they just draft Meredith?

• Huff's Neighbor // April 24, 2018 at 10:38 am //

WOW just WOW your obsession is hilarious. If I were a Stumps fan I would be more focused on my own hot mess of a team than what the Riders are doing.

• True Green // April 24, 2018 at 7:11 pm //

I read this article this morning at 6:30, there wasn’t a single comment yet. I couldn’t believe you hadn’t posted an opinion or questioned the decision yet. I chose to leave the first comment for you big Red, I know how important that is to you. Everything that is Riders just excites you so much! It’s great fun to have such an obsessed fan as you!

• He is probably really a Rider fan. Just pumps up the stumps to get people to hate them. Very smart. It’s working.

2. Melonhead // April 24, 2018 at 9:31 am //

Did you not see how the rookie Bladek was developing last year? I expect either he or St. John steps up to become a starter. Dyakowski was a good stopgap but that’s it at this point of his career

• Bladek maybe, JSJ? He’s been a bust! It looks to me the like riders will start 3 imports on the O-line at least!! Who are their starting 7 Canadians going to be? This team has dumped so many Canadians this off season.

• Huff's Neighbor // April 24, 2018 at 11:20 am //

Ass hat clown with multiple personalities. Jeff Stamps hating all over the place per usual. Can’t wait to see the measly Stumps fall.

• MR Green // April 24, 2018 at 2:26 pm //

Bladek will start,so will LaBatte and Clark. Like I said yesterday, Bladek will have a shot to beat out one of those 3, and Dyakowski is the weak link. He was below average last season .

• Typical sliders fan dissing a guy once he is gone ,yet last year when he was starting on the o-line you were all bragging him up saying he was having an all star year .Come on slidernation your actions are so predictable,sliders for last this year.No O-line no linebackers and a QB who doesn’t know how to win .

• Huff's Neighbor // April 24, 2018 at 3:42 pm //

Stanley, you’re delusional. The Riders have all the horses they need to have solid lines. Typical name calling hater you are, nothing less.

3. 3rd and 1 // April 24, 2018 at 9:38 am //

Settle down head. You have zero knowledge of the inner workings of the Saskatchewan Riders.
    Also, did you not read the last paragraph. Or did u skip over that. This may be nothing more than releases to create space for the mini camps. They have several Olineman at these mini camps and need to have a look. You don’t think Dykowski would have been released a long time ago if the Riders didn’t want him. On the flip side if they were to release him now it’s because they are confident in a replacement.
    The Riders still have draft picks on the team from 2 years ago that need to step up this year. Including the #1 over all draft pick from 2 years ago. Either he shows he’s a starter now or go back to school.
    If I were you red head. I would be far more concerned with the retirements and the avoidingvarrests on my own team. The Riders are going to be a seriously competitive group this year. So figure out how you can help your hero Huff to plug the holes in the dam. As it’s springing leaks everywhere.

• The stamps will be a serious contender too. You should read yourself, Lavertu did not play a single down last year, he won’t be missed at all.

• Just you worry about trying to finish higher than 4 th for the 4th stright year even though i dont think it is possible

4. Why do you care about who starts in green ? Wow is right?

5. I knew you’re a big teddy bear on the inside Red. Haha. Well I wouldn’t lose sleep over these moves bud our management team has been around the CFL for a while now, some particularly under the tutelage of your hero huff (whom I do respect tremendously with his track record)

• That’s right Huff is the Belichick of the CFL no doubt.

• Micheal Hunt // April 25, 2018 at 1:35 pm //

Huff is by far the Best GM in the CFL.
        2nd place isn’t even close and he’s an ex-Stamps coach too>
        Riders have NOTHING to brag about.
        Worry about your own team and not dissing the smart teams around you.

6. 8 comments…..FOUR – including the first AS USUAL, are from the town crier. C’mon man

7. It’s hard losing players that you come to love as family, but that is the nature of the business. Thank you gentlemen for wearing the green & white with pride and representing this awesome province. Wish you nothing but the best!!

8. Well if you read pederson’s report (because I know you secretly read everything cfl) you’ll see that Jones was gushing over the o-linemen in mini camp and even lamenting the fact that they couldn’t keep everyone he wanted for camp due to number limitations. My guess is these canadians were let go due to cost and Peter’s age as he faded late last year. Couple guys even I’ve never heard of. Keep in mind the new guys were not in pads but the real evaluators know a hell of a lot more than me and they’ve been well taught in the cheap American philosophy. Let the chips fall where they may. I’m excited to see if zach can regain his old form with some protection. And a running game. The west could be a slug fest !! I read somewhere that bo was rehabbing but did he require surgery? I hope not. Spring is finally here on the prairies! Let the games begin!

• What linemen would he be gushing over? Imports? Everyteam as quality import linemen, it’s the Canadians that are tricky.

9. My biggest concern is hurl at MLB. Might not have a choice .. ugh.

10. Chopping block happens every year. Some big names some not. Salary, age, performance all come into play. 8 more teams will do the same thing within the next 2 weeks or so till they get down to the final 46 plus the PR roster. Many more to come.

11. Yup maybe you and red need to set aside your differences cross over the anger bridge and hug it out? … bahahaha

• Honestly beyond sick of his Sh*t Boo eskimos. If you are new here you wouldn’t understand.

• Yup – Well, said! Most Rider fans and I believe a good portion of true Stamps fans would agree with you. … Though, I loved Mrs Red’s post. I wonder how she likes living with Mr Red, a bonified “Fruit Cake”?

Go, Riders!!!!

12. Scottsask // April 24, 2018 at 11:09 am //

Yup a bit of advice. Every time you respond to his nonsense you water the seeds he had planted. You only have yourself to blame. Ignore him and the seeds die in the ground.

13. Yup I get it I’ve been visiting for a while but never commented much. I really found him annoying and sometimes downright infuriating but you have to rise above his schtick. It’s all about power (feeding the ego) to him and I have to admit he’s pretty damn good at it. Just don’t tell him that. Kill em with kindness bud or it’ll drive u bat crap crazy

• Cheers Boo. Just be nice to talk about our Riders, and football in general without a gnat in the room. A little friendly banter and pumping tires is enjoyable and what this should be all about. Oh well, the season is almost upon us, looking forward to a great season. Go Riders

14. Dude was probably bullied in school so this is his revenge. I’d just let him have this.. at least he’s not an eskimos fan because then I’d really have to hate him. Hahaha!

15. These cuts are no big loss for the Riders. In many ways they’re actually addition by subtraction.

DietCowSki was mediocre at best, and will be easily replaced by Travis Bond. DietCowSki’s only useful quality was that he filled a NI roster spot.

Jeff Hecht is a terrible football player. Undersized and hopelessly slow footed. Hecht is basically a poor man’s Dan West. That should tell you how useless he is.

Taylor Mays was one of the most overrated players in recent history. Classic case of a bad football player being a product of the system and fooling people into thinking he’s actually got some talent.

Mays whined like a little puss when Seattle didn’t draft him in the 1st round – – obviously he assumed his old coach from USC would automatically want him. But Carroll knew better than anyone how badly overrated Mays was. Earl Thomas was 1000x better than Mays.

Still can’t believe San Francisco wasted a 2nd rounder on Mays. That they cut him after just one season tells you just how brutal Mays is.

16. 7 Canadian right now would be Labatte, Clark, Bagg and Bladek/St.John on offence and Evans, Hurl, Brouilette/Edem on defence.

This leaves Messam and Steele as swing Canadians to shift the ratio as required.

I think this will change as I do not see Hurl starting at Middle LB.

17. greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 11:56 am //

Hate to say I told you so. Just yesterday my comment under “Two big questions in Rider mini-camp”, my opening line “Dyakowski won’t start”. I have repeatedly said he’s no good anymore as he couldn’t stop a balloon in the latter part of the season. So the usual mental gymnastics from 3rd & 1 intimating to Red how much he knows about the inner workings of the Riders. Go back to your original earlier this year response when I suggested the Riders had little depth & a big problem if Campbell doesn’t return & how you were dancing around with half a dozen possible configurations. I even had to shut down talk about how Dyakowski could be traded to an Eastern squad. Nobody wants this guy, 3rd & 1. Fact is from your comments, most recently about Carter being an all-star WR AND all-star corner, you & Pederson are not the guys to take seriously when trying to get unbiased info on your team. And my god, how much have we heard about Taylor Mays this year @ SAM & Meredith as a “steal”. Look, it’s pretty obvious as has been mentioned by a few contributors on this site, the Riders HAVE to get younger on OL. I myself made that comment under the same article quoted above yesterday. If you actually started looking at some stats, some things actually are pretty easy to see for ALL the teams, not just the Riders. But Rider Nation likes to ignore the stats saying they don’t mean much. Sure – that’s why Duron’s argument for being rated higher is – look at my stats. That’s why Harris & now Gable aim for 1,000 yards rushing & receiving. That’s why Duron in Mtl wanted to finish higher than Bowman (mission accomplished LOL). That’s why coaches & players set goals based upon stats, among other things. Reality bites.

• Agree with your comments about how the resident fan boys laughably overrate their favourite teams. It’d be refreshing to see some objective analysis, but I understand how that’s impossible when you’re a pom pom waver or a casual fan.

But completely disagree with your comment about looking at statistics when formulating player assessments. Looking at the stat sheet is usually what causes people to be so wrong about players and teams.

You have to watch the games, my friend.

• greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 12:36 pm //

I do watch the games, 51. And yes, you can overdo it on stats. I will have to backtrack a bit. We are all fans & I can’t fault anyone for being overenthusiastic. That’s what being a fan is all about. Not too many of us can help ourselves on being unbiased about our teams & I’m no different. So can’t disagree with anything you’ve said. Had too much coffee this morning. Busy day – time to get away from football for the day. Cheers 51.

• Hey envy….how about predicting the Lotto max numbers ??? If you win the 50 plus, could you get a couple cement trucks to fill in the basement while Red Manyhandles sleeps ?

That would be greatly appreciated.

• greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 10:39 pm //

Coming up Yup. I’ll let you know when the 50 mil is in the bank. Things gonna change big time when the new owner takes over in Regina. Wanna coach?

18. Scottsask // April 24, 2018 at 12:14 pm //

The only one that surprises me is the release of Meredith. Thought he would be a project player. Perhaps the braintrust has decided Zver is better or further along. I would be lying if I said I still wasn’t concerned about Canadian depth.

• Riders23 // April 24, 2018 at 2:09 pm //

Scott I think that the Oline moves wer based on 3 possibilities:
      1.) Peter became expendable as the Riders might have Girioux close to agreeing to a deal, thus want to see him in main camp and is he a upgrade over a aging Peter D.( salary used for Girioux. Plus Peter might only be a phone call away if Danny G is not an upgrade.
      2.) Others are ready to step up in the depth cart and Riders having Run several MOCK drafts — predict a TOP grade Cdn o-lineman is available at their 5th overall pick. And again if things don’t workout — Merrideth is only s phone call away. he like Peter D know the system.
      3.) They have seen some CDN kids or UA born players that can get CDN status through parentage at mini camp that has peaked that have peaked their interest and as per roster rules as stated need to MAKE Room for signing to attend main camp ( no different then what other teams are doing in their war rooms , juggling rosters to get best look at the player they want. Again unless picked up by other clubs , those CUT are only a phone call away .. My last point is MAYBE (its always my dream) Big Ben Heenan, now being totally healthy1, want sot UN -RETIRE for a year and take 1 last shot at winning a 2nd Grey cup as a Rider. Ben is still not that old, and maybe just bored of being only a Sask farmer.

• bigboypants // April 24, 2018 at 5:15 pm //

Or it could be the obvious that Dyakowski hasn’t got it, rather than release him coz someone not signed is close to agreeing to a deal. Is it possible you are talking about the much injured Danny Groulx, late of the Eskimos? Who’s Girioux? Am I surprised you want Heenan back? Should anyone be? Don’t like your talent then, I guess.

19. Agree with your concerns about the lack of NI talent in Regina.

Finally got a franchise QB but unfortunately Jones doesn’t realize he also needs NI talent to win in the CFL.

Trying to pick NIs off the scrap heap like Mak Henry and Jordo Reeves and Kevin Francis is completely ridiculous.

20. Edward Leslie // April 24, 2018 at 12:51 pm //

This is like a lot of transactions: Given the recognizable names, especially Peter Dyakowski, it’s surprising… at first. Then it just makes sense.
    It’s evident that Saskatchewan needs to get younger. Just like Montreal and Edmonton before them, these are the first steps in the youth movement.
    Dyakowski might be “Canada’s smartest person”, but he and Hecht are in their mid-30s. Saskatchewan has two solid young prospects (St John and Bladek) that need to play. Hecht was #3 safety behind Brouillette and Edem.
    Taylor Mays is another longtime former NFLer, who probably found out the hard way that the CFL is a lot better than he guessed it would be.
    I wonder if Chad Owens might be next? I’m a big Chad Owens fan, but he’s 36 (ancient in football); he’s coming off of a serious injury; He obviously makes over $100,000 and Saskatchewan has lots of other good receivers: Carter, Roosevelt, Bagg, Grant, Holley and Harty AND a very good return man Christian Jones.
    I’d be shocked if he’s still a Saskatchewan Roughrider in June.

• You’re mostly right except the Riders are not on a youth movement. In fact it’s just the opposite. Two years ago we were waaaay too young, and we made way too many rookie mistakes, so last year we intentionally got older, or more specifically we strategically brought in some key vets for leadership. Jovon Johnson, Chad Owens and Dyakowski were perhaps the three key ones, but Hecht may have been the first as we got him in a trade part way through the 2016 season. Behind this veteran leadership we improved greatly last year. This year the whole team is more mature after a successful year last year, and we’ve also brought in other players like Hughes and Evans who can provide veteran leadership, so it’s time for some of our other leadership group to move on. We have young guys coming up at ever position as well. I think at this point Bladek and JSJ are capable of stepping in for Dyakowski, and the arrival of Laurensse and the return of Brouillette last last year bumped out Hecht. Owens took a pay cut so I think he’ll be here this year, but Holley and Antwane Grant will push him and likely move up the ladder next year at the latest.

I’m a bit surprised and disappointed that Meredith got cut, but we have a bus load of young OLs and we weren’t going to be able to keep all of them. He’s a tackle and if we’re going with American tackles then it makes sense that he would go.

I’m also surprised at a bit disappointed that Taylor Mays was cut. Rumour has it that we have a couple of stud LBs at mini-camp so we’re probably not going to miss him, but I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do. He’s such an incredible athlete I have to think something non-football related prompted that release.

• greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 5:30 pm //

OK RFD – another prediction. Hardly a stretch but Owens will not be on the final roster this year. Why do you refuse to see what’s staring you in the face? The OL was not good enough last year & all those guys you drafted are either no good or have to be worked into the lineup. You’ve already punted Meredith so unless you come up with a good import tackle, it sure looks like Bladek & St. John are going to be looking at 2 spots. What’s left of your National backups, in most of the posts I see, I hear some mention of Zver but none of you every included Adusei or Sprukulis in that discussion so even you can’t think they’re any good. Instead of following Pederson, if you want a good die-hard Rider fan who actually makes sense when he writes, read Rider Prophet. He has a good handle on things which means you don’t get the nonsense Pederson writes. There’s a guy that makes sense.

• Taylor Mays is terrible. There’s absolutely ZERO “non football related issues” as to why he gets dumped back into the scrap heap everywhere he goes.

The only “issue” is that he can’t play pro level football.

• Riders23 // April 24, 2018 at 5:39 pm //

RFD : your bang on with your comment regarding Hecht: The continued in-retirement of Brouillette made Jeff a redundant part on the Rider — the addition of Laurensse (depending on how rapid his development is ) might even lead to Mark being released mid season if Edam stays healthy bottom line is the Riders are just getting more and more athletic as each stone is turned , Jones is certainly fine tuning a STEW that gonna be good— given the quality of Vet’s he has sprinkled into the mix, each year sees a progressional upgrade IMO regarding the vet’s brought in from 2016 till now. Scouting seems to also putting some great pressure on some of the ‘younger project players ‘ also being brought in — gone are the likes of Reaves , Guy, and sadly Eddie M. great to see forma competitive aspect. IMO we are getting our moneys worth out of the Jones/Oday/Murphy admin team and some.

21. RalphInTheCreek // April 24, 2018 at 1:47 pm //

Sad for Peter one of my favorite players.

22. Regina has been talking about “getting younger” for the past three years – – and they’re still working on it?

Bringing in old deadwood like DietCowSki and Jeff Hecht defied logic when they were brought in and now we see them shuffled out the door and back into the scrap heap.

If Chris Jones had the ability to identify and draft Canadian talent, Regina wouldn’t have to resort to scrap heap NIs like this.

23. Surprised by these cuts on the surface but it also means they either have people that are better or just as good and a lot cheaper as replacements. No way cuts of this calibre were made last year. It indicates the team is getting much better if these are the cuts.

• Paul Bomber // April 24, 2018 at 2:43 pm //

I hate to admit it, but I tend to agree with you. No way you release a Canuck like Dyakowski with a guy like Collaros coming in unless Sask has another mule kicking in their stall. I thought Sask was at best “OK” along the O line last year. Will be interesting to see what Collaros can do with the O. If he performs like he did 2-3 years ago, they’ll be fighting it out for 1st in the West.
      Troy Westwood (yes… that guy) said on TSN radio here yesterday that he’s afraid of Sask this year. But I think Edm, Clgy, Wpg and Sask will all be strong. Looking like another regular season dominated by the West. (fat lot of good that does in playoffs it seems)

• Huff's Neighbor // April 24, 2018 at 5:18 pm //

If we were at best OK, you must have real concern to you Hole line.

• BlueBomberChris // April 25, 2018 at 8:10 am //

One of the highest rated ones in the league last couple seasons, still mostly intact (minus Bond). Good prospects in the pipeline…no concerns here

24. MR Green // April 24, 2018 at 2:30 pm //

I like Jeff Hecht. Sad to see him go, but the rest were done.

25. I could see Kavis making Peter an offer as a backup. He fits the mold Reed is looking for. Smart Classy, enough experience to be an effective backup at guard and center.

26. Take this // April 24, 2018 at 2:56 pm //

Area51: perhaps you should check with your favorite head coach/GM about stats. Chris Jones is the guy that said “numbers don’t lie”.
    The thing about Dyakowski that bothers me is that he came here in a bad trade. The Riders gave up Edwards who had a very good year in Toronto last year for an aging Canadian O lineman that lasted one year. Edwards may be catching balls in Toronto for several years yet. Bad trade that happens when a team becomes desperate for national talent.

• Paul Bomber // April 24, 2018 at 3:02 pm //

But the fact they’re releasing him now says something too, doesn’t it? They’re obviously not desperate enough to keep him now. (what the HELL am I do defending Sask?)

• Bad trade?? An import receiver, which we had an oversupply of, for a starting Canadian OL, is a bad trade … said no one ever, until now. Edwards might not have even made our team, and if he did he wouldn’t have seen much playing time.

• An import receiver is a good trade for a Canadian O-linemen, no doubt about it, unless you end up cutting him, which you did.

• greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 5:39 pm //

You see RFD, you ignore the obvious. Coleman was a backup with Edmonton when he was traded to the Riders. Dyakowski was a cut from Hamilton, ended up in Toronto, where he would have been a backup. These are starters on your team. You had a team with all 5 starters from last year, including Dennis, would have been 30 or over. Your competitors, Wpg, Cal & Edm each only have 1 player over 30 on their OL’s. They’re young. You have to get younger. Trouble is the other teams young starters all have experience. You may have 2 virtual rookies. But it’s a good start.

• You’d be in favour of trading Naman Roosevelt, an Import receiver, for Pat Neufeld a NI OL?

That’s the problem when you make asinine proclamations like you did. Edwards was infinitely more valuable than DietCowSki. High level starting receiver for a washed up reserve OL is a massive rip off.

• Stats don’t lie says Chris Jones?

That would explain why he hasn’t done anything in Regina – – still hasn’t won a playoff game there yet. And why he made such embarrassing personnel moves like putting a TE and a CIS basketball player at DE and a receiver at LB. And also why the Riders drafts have been such a total failure with Jones as the GM.

27. Riders23 // April 24, 2018 at 4:14 pm //

Just checked the Rider web page etc: Peter D /Jeff H , were CAP moves- Jones commenting directly on that , also scrolling through stuff seems they have found a couple interesting project guys: 6’4″ Kid from Lethbridge, played DL at ND State , non drafted last year , played semi-pro in Fort Mac last year, decided to give it a shot at a FA camp. this year. Looks like scouting is doing its job , ergo Merrideth unfortunately for him at this time, need to see if another opportunity comes his way . IN Jones we trust , and BTW , man Steve Walsh looks like a brilliant coupe as our new QB coach , certainly Toronto’s loss and our gain , thanks TO, Collaros and crew might just big this years biggest CFL positive surprise. Gonna be a very interesting year!!!

• CAP moves………again Jones is spending at the cost of Canadian depth, not a recipe for success in teh CFL

• Regina bringing in another semi pro player? You’d think Jones would have learned from the Mak Henry debacle that he can’t “plug-and-play” semi pro scrubs at the pro level.

This is getting comical.

• Mak Henry has done fairly well in his limited role, backing up at multiple D-line positions at MINIMUM salary and STILL giving an OUTREACH – Student at risk program at a REGINA school a $5000.00 donation . yeap that Mac Henry what a terrible role model and person he is —- WHAT IN THE WORLD was Jones thinkin’ in giving a GUY like that a shot to make the team !!!! AREA51 go ring the I am a freaking jackass bell on sharing your silly statement above !!! Do your homework before trashing a pretty solid community guy !!!

• Yes, what a wonderful “role model” – – the high school drop out who’s spent three years in prison with numerous charges for dealing narcotics, forcible confinement and assault with a weapon.

Sounds like a candidate for the Trevis Smith Community Service Award.

• Everyone on this earth should strive to be as perfect as you. Henry talks openly about his past, and is trying to ensure some of these young kids have the mentoring that he didn’t have. To give them direction that he didn’t have, to help them make positive life choices unlike some of the mistakes he made. Keep on hating 51….do something you accel at!!!

28. greenenvy? // April 24, 2018 at 5:41 pm //

If that’s true, what the hell was he paying them? More like saying what he has to say.

29. Expected from a Mickey mouse organization like Sask who have put all their marbles on Collaros. who will fumbles throws pick 6s passes knocked down hangs on to the ball too long and very injury prone Jones even looks like Mickey mouse Sask might win 4 or ,5 games when Bridge starts long season in Riderville

30. Mr. Curling is saddened by the departure of Eddie Meredith. Mr curling thought he was the absolute steal of the draft since no other teams realized that he was only temporarily sick hope he ends up on the practice roster

• Merideth is yet another draft bust the Chris Jones regime has failed with.

• I agree, but we can’t keep everybody. I think Zver and Adusei were absolute steals as well, and JSJ is still waiting in line for playing time, and there are only so many roster spots. The timing of this makes me think that there may have been something else involved as well, however. Why not bring him to camp and let him compete? One of the reasons he missed that last year of university football was because he had some health issues, and I have to wonder if maybe those might have come back. I have no knowledge of that but the timing of this just seems a little strange for it to be a pure football move.