Bombers chose not to choose me: Muamba

The lack of patience was a major reason for Henoc Muamba electing to turn his focus towards other franchises and cross Winnipeg off the list of potential landing spots.

“Some of the teams that did leave or were not in contention when it came down to it at the end, part of the reason was because they were impatient. To me, it really helped my decision process to be honest,” Muamba said.

“I didn’t not choose Winnipeg, they chose not to choose me.”

Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters wasn’t fond of the slow pace.

“Henoc and his agent have a track record of prolonging these things. They do their due diligence, it’s not a negative. They take their time and they will certainly look to maximize their value. That’s just their track record,” Walters said in March.

“We brought Henoc out here, showed him our organization, told him what we were about – thought it went very well. It was our understanding that they were going to have a decision within 48 hours after returning from the visit.”

Muamba was deliberately methodical in his approach to his latest stint as a free agent.

“One of the reasons why Montreal is the team I picked is because they were so patient throughout the whole process. They were really understanding of my situation, where I was at not just football-wise, career-wise, but from a holistic standpoint as far as what I was experiencing in my life. I got married last off-season, so I’m with my wife, I just got a new baby, I just got released, so they weren’t really trying to rush me,” Muamba said.

Muamba understands everyone runs and conducts their business differently.

“In order for a future relationship or a future connection or for a player to make the next team their home the player has to choose the team and the team has to choose the player too, especially for someone who is in the situation that I was in,” Muamba said.

The 29-year-old Canadian linebacker wasn’t shocked by what Walters said about the situation.

“It wasn’t a major, major letdown. To me, it was well this is what happened, so what is left on the table? So we started looking at the rest of the teams and we continued to talk about what was possible. Montreal was super patient,” Muamba said.

The Bombers selected Muamba No. 1 overall in the 2011 CFL draft. Muamba made a career-high 92 tackles earning him CFL all-star status in 2013 before he left Winnipeg for the NFL. He was invited by the Winnipeg organization to come for a visit while going through the process of finding a new team.

“A lot of times people think that I get to this point and I always wants to go see these teams and fly and take these trips, that has nothing to do with that. I don’t go to teams and say can we come for a visit? The teams say they would like for me to come,” Muamba said.

“Especially this off-season was really hard for me to even travel out of Toronto because I had my daughter. I didn’t want to spend time away from her. I don’t view it as a free trip, it’s really a business trip to me.”

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (870 Articles)

30 Comments on Bombers chose not to choose me: Muamba

1. White Horse // April 16, 2018 at 1:13 pm //

He needs to learn how to formulate English words correctly into a sentence!

2. White Horse // April 16, 2018 at 1:22 pm //

Anybody yearning for CFL games can stream all 2017 CFL games on cfl.yaretv.com
    Good entertainment on a raining soggy day; like here in the Okanagan.

• Better than Calgary – we are currently a slurpee. April showers my as*

• Bestcflfan // April 16, 2018 at 3:03 pm //

There were so many excellent games last year. Best year for excitement ever. I mean unless you are an alouettes fan. Try both sask v Toronto games

3. William Watson // April 16, 2018 at 1:26 pm //

From what I read about it the Bombers were not willing to give him as many $$ as he was requesting. How that can be deciphered into the team displaying a ‘lack of patience’ is pretty creative. Anyway, I wish him well with his new holistic standpoint.

4. BlueBomberChris // April 16, 2018 at 1:36 pm //

No Henoc, it was a lack of $$$ from the Bombers as the reason why you chose Montreal. At least be honest with the fans and yourself.

Plus between when you were signed and when you were released the time lapsed was 2 months. I don’t deny you the right to wait and decide the best situation for yourself. However that’s a two way street, the Bombers shouldn’t be holding up their plans waiting for you to make up your mind. They have just as much right to ask for a decision in a timely manner and elect if they wish to go in another direction

5. No kidding the Bombers were impatient. They have a freaking SMS to manage and the amount spent on Muamba has implications for player decisions down the line. Did Henoc just fall off a spaceship yesterday or is he stupid? And my understanding through all of this is that the Bombers were clear they were not interested (rightfully) in paying Henoc more money than his abilities. This sounds like a feeble attempt by Henoc to get fans up in arms with Bombers management about not signing the great Henoc Muamba. What a joke. Singleton kicks his ass every day of the week.

6. BigRedMachine // April 16, 2018 at 1:54 pm //

Yeah I would say he showed a lack of respect for teams by dragging out the process for 2 months. Makes me think the Canadian ratio is too high if an above average linebacker can hold so much leverage that he can do tours around the league and still command 225K….

7. I wonder how patient he will be, when MTL cuts his a$$ again. Sure they gave him the big bucks now, but they did that before, and where did it get him. I’d like to know if he has a big off season roster bonus again. lol

8. Scottsask // April 16, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

Holistic standpoint? Sounds like he drank the Kavis Kool aid?

9. Sounds like something has jaded him. Wonder what it could be?

10. Ok whiners enough. Henoc was a free agent. He can take as much time as he wants to agree to a contract. In this case Winnipeg took an agressive approach and Kavis took a patient no rush approach, this helped Henoc marinate his decision. With a player looking to sign quickly Walters’s approach may have paid off and Kavis lost out.

Also if Walters had shut his mouth about negotiations, Henoc would not have to answer these questions.

• William Watson // April 16, 2018 at 7:10 pm //

Yes, a free agent can take as much time as he wants, and Walters admitted that was Muamba’s agent’s style. Nobody here is disputing what happened. What the dissenters are pointing out is that Muamba’s spin on this, calling the Bombers out for a lack of patience and how they “chose not to choose him” is at best delusional and probably more accurately described as disingenuous. His agent asked for more money than the Bombers were willing to part with for his services. End of story. And for the record Mr. Putin, pointing out such inconsistencies and cleaning up rhetorical horse manure is the farthest thing from “whining”.

• What are you talking about? Walters went public specifically to state they had pulled their offer and tell the fans Henoc was not coming to Winnipeg. He pulled it and Henoc moved on.

11. Green is the Color // April 16, 2018 at 4:20 pm //

This is a money grab and nothing else. Enjoy last place Henoc.

12. Edward Leslie // April 16, 2018 at 5:13 pm //

Scottsask: I was thinking the same thing. Holistic is a word Kavis Reed uses too.
    I don’t get slamming Winnipeg like that. Its two months until the regular season, and there’s lots to do before then like training camp, the CFL draft and free agent camps. The Bombers’ “patience” was quite sufficient, thank you.
    I didn’t understand the need to bring Muamba to Winnipeg either. Show him the facilities, and what
    the team’s about? Didn’t he already play in Winnipeg just a few years back???
    His agent, Jonathan Hardaway, sounds a bit too Jim Jones-like. Stop drinking his kookaid, Henoc. You have a brain too.

13. 4Evergreen // April 16, 2018 at 7:17 pm //

This is all about money. I believe after you visited Winnipeg it was your agent that suggested a decision would be made in a few days. That decision never came and I believe you were holding out to see who would up the ante. Montreal took the bait as they had no choice with very few good Canadians on the roster. Henoc you are a good linebacker but you don’t have the ability to carry a team. Good luck playing for a loser. I will be surprised if Montreal wins three games this year.

14. NOT A BANDWAGON JUMPER // April 16, 2018 at 7:48 pm //

Muamba – chose not to come to Winnipeg because of the dollars, his call. But, now that MTL was his only choice, he took less money to go there. Take your time – it’s like shark tank or dragons den – take your time and lose the deal.
    Having a goofball for an agent actually cost you money. Good for you!

15. All I see is sour prairie football fans. Rider fans bitter he took their 35k and waved bye bye and Winnipeg fans bitter because he spurned them twice. Nobody else on this site is throwing shade at Henoc.

• BlueBomberChris // April 16, 2018 at 9:15 pm //

Not sour at all Vladimir, if you read my post I don’t care he went to MTL, I do care about him slamming my team with his BS take on the situation that’s deluded at best.

Stop trying to manufacture a problem just so you can spew your anti-Bomber and now apparently anti-Rider rhetoric; or you jealous that prairie football fans actually support their teams :p

• I think the support is great. The Whining and the accusations thrown at the player not so much. The “enjoy last place Henoc” from fans of a team that hasn’t won a GDT in almost 30 years…. Pretty sad.

Here is the reality. Henoc is a French speaking African who grew up in Montreal. He’s a sophisticated guy, he likes the big city atmosphere and the housing market in Montreal is on fire and way, way undervalued. So this is a good time for him and his family to buy in and make bank. He’s simply too nice to say. “I’m not interested in living in Winnipeg”.

That Montreal team is a QB of being as competitive as the rest of the teams in the league. That has nothing to do with Henoc. It is up to management to develop one of these kids, draft and scout well. They took a huge step forward with Gorrell replacing the lawyer chick and Sherman replacing JC and Calvillo.

16. Translation. Montreal was the only team left with an offer

17. This is a prime example of getting a big cheque because of your nationality. The Americans must be pissed. Henoc is incredibly average. Been all over the league and never lasts more than a year because he’s not worth his salary. Then he always does this parade visiting teams.. please just go away quietly.

• MJ Bandit // April 17, 2018 at 11:32 pm //

Sol-E in BC makes more CFL coin than Muamaba – so much for it all being about nationality, pal.

Incredibly average to somebody like you who doesn’t watch football – the guy has been a top MLB for both the Bombers & the Riders when he got the chance at regular playing time; he also made and played in the NFL – in case you had no clue there.

18. William Watson // April 17, 2018 at 1:58 pm //

“I’m not interested in living in Winnipeg”. Trust me, if the Bombers had increased their offer by a mere 20K or whatever his magic number was he would have had no problem moving his ultra sophisticated holistic standpoint to the peg for a season of ball or two. He could have discussed 20th Century existential philosophers in French at the St. Boniface library on his off days just to hone his sophistication. Nah, It’s all about the $ with some guys. I don’t fault or blame him. Just ridiculous that he tries to sell the narrative that the Bombers didn’t do the deal right.

• MJ Bandit // April 17, 2018 at 11:36 pm //

Wonder how much coin the Bombers shelled out to sign Darian Durant as their back-up QB and after his putrid performance with the Als last season? All for the sake of having an “experienced” back-up QB ? Might have been wiser to shell out some bucks for a top notch MLB – where you have big need – over paying pretty big bucks to an aging back-up QB who probably doesn’t see the field.

• Walters put his money in Lafrance and Demski.
        Reed put his money in Muamba and Westerman

Teams have to make choices.

• I agree with that. But it would have taken more money to drag him to Winnipeg than to Montreal. Just like Montreal would have to pay Demski more to outbid Winnipeg. At equal money most players will choose their home towns, they save money and don’t have to split their time paying rent in a city for six months while maintaining a residence elsewhere. Henoc can live in Montreal year round, see his baby girl every day.

19. I wonder why since Muamba is such an average player every time he becomes a free agent teams still want to bring him in.
    The truth is this industry is cut throat. If GMs don’t want a player they will not sign them. They will not offer them a contract let alone fly him into their city. Especially places he’s already been.
    All in all these GMs wanted to get Muamba on their rosters. And in this case for what ever reason money, comfort or patience Henoc chose Montreal. I’m personally glad he is happy.