Injuries force Stampeders linebacker Deron Mayo to retire

Calgary Stampeders linebacker Deron Mayo has announced his retirement.

The 30-year-old, who played six seasons with Calgary, has struggled to return from a torn ACL he suffered in October of 2016 and played in just one game last season before requiring a second surgery.

“After 18 months of rehab and many setbacks along the way, I feel that it’s in my family’s best interest to walk away and focus on life after football,” Mayo said in a statement released by the club. “I am grateful to all who have helped me along the way and for those who continue to motivate me throughout this process.”

Mayo played in 87 games for Calgary, making 277 tackles and 33 special teams tackles and was the team’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2015. He won a Grey Cup with the team in 2014.

43 Comments on Injuries force Stampeders linebacker Deron Mayo to retire

1. Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 9:28 am //

It’s too bad. Shows what 1 injury can do. A great individual who truly knew what it meant to be a Stampeder. I wish him luck, good chance he’ll remain in the Calgary community.
    Fortunately, the Stamps ability to smoothly transition has already neutralized his loss

2. Hate to see a great player go out like that, best of luck in your next vocation!

3. Margaret Marshall // April 10, 2018 at 10:14 am //

All the best Deron Carter. Your future has taken a curve but is just beginning.

4. First of all… It was a torn patellar tendon, not an ACL. That is a way more serious injury than an ACL. It also happens to be the exact same injury his brother Jerod had while playing for the NE Patriots. It might have even been the same knee. Does anyone else feel there is more of a story here than an incorrect, short, zero depth excuse for an article that we have just received? SOMEONE TELL THIS MAN’S STORY! He is an incredible human being who has worked extremely hard in his community and is far more deserving than a 150 words in this forum! We have seen 3Down do better work and I expect it here. Who could you possibly be racing to print to beat to the breaking news story? It is not like it is a hyper competitive world of CFL reporting in April. Better journalism is required. It might not be as salacious as some new stupid stunt by Duron, or another terrible decision made by Montreal ownership… But it is a far better story and worth the read.

• greenenvy? // April 10, 2018 at 10:34 am //

Have to agree. The Duron stories get tiring. I do think Calgary has a replacement in Thurman but they’re getting a bit thin @ LB. Who plays SAM? In any case, he will be missed.

• Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 11:02 am //

You are right. IF there is a concern for Calgary it’s SAM LB. It will be filled by one of Emanual Davis or the next young buck to come through the pipeline. 2 years ago Calgary signed Taylor Reed to replace Jwaun Simpson, he was cut because of that strong pipeline.
        Think about that,,Calgary CUT Taylor Reed. How many teams are good enough to do that???

• Habsnriders // April 10, 2018 at 11:27 am //

I just checked out the stampeders website and there was nothing more said there than here . Your all over 3down for lack of a better story you might want to look in your own back yard

• Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 11:42 am //

We know what a great person he is, so does he. We are secure enough in our team and the character of the players we don’t need to pontificate.

• True Green // April 11, 2018 at 8:21 pm //

And I’m other news, Johnny Manziel is too controversial for dancing with the stars…
      Yeah. This man deserves more than Johnny I couldn’t agree with you more.

5. Deron is a great example of the type of player the a CFL team needs both on the field and off. Injuries are part of the game and he certainly gave 110% in trying to get back on the field. He is making the RIGHT DECISION for himself and his family no doubt.

• Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 11:05 am //

You are right Jim, and that’s what it means to be a true Stampeder, you contribute off the field as much as on.

6. Small town mindset and small town people in MooTown – no wonder they are the butt of so many jokes in major cities.

• Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 12:43 pm //

My my, someone is jealous of the city and the team.

• I will assume you are speaking from the center of the universe Neal ? Rather live in the west than the land of soccer and Starbucks

7. Scottsask // April 10, 2018 at 12:15 pm //

As it should be. Best of luck to the young man.

8. Scottsask // April 10, 2018 at 12:16 pm //

Don’t be a Jackass Neal.

9. Wood horse // April 10, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

Mayo confirmed he will stay in Calgary to start his next career. What can you say about Calgary? Even at it’s worst, its still the best.

10. There are many things to consider here, no wait, “get the the hell out of Alberta” is axtully the one thing he considered. So long Cowboys!

11. Whitehorse // April 10, 2018 at 9:29 pm //

Do you prefer Mayo or Miracle Whip?

12. Stamps shpould have no problem with replacement. As their moto defines, next Choker up.

13. Yea I suppose if your philosophy is “just don’t win it all” then Huff has it dowm pat. If, on the other hand however your philosophy is ” If you aren’t first there’s no difference between second and last”, then I think nod has to go to Jones.

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 1:53 pm //

Let me ask you this Wideout, and please answer.
      Right now if you were given the choice heading into the 2018 season for one of the following: to go 15-2-1, host and win the Western final Vs. finishing 4th winning the Eastern semi-final and the Eastern final on the road, which one would you choose? Keep in mind no indication of what will happen in the Grey Cup is given.

• Whitehorse // April 11, 2018 at 2:34 pm //

I thought the regular season didn’t matter to the stamps? Its what your other handles have always said.

• For 2018 I would want to go to a team that looks like it will be around 13-5 and probably win the Cup. I would be very leary about going to a team that in 2017 couldn’t score 1 touchdown against a 4th place finisher in 8, count them 8, consecutive quarters of football to close out the meetings between them. So to answer your question on 2018, Jones’s 13-5 over the stamps 11-7 if lucky, probably more like 10-8.

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 3:01 pm //

Wideout….. I love when rider fan bring up 8 quarters with no TD’s!
          We still beat you in 4 of those quarters,
          and the other 4 were junk time in our season; so I’m not sure why you brag.
          You didn’t answer the question, please do. It’s pretty simple.

14. I answered your question. I just don’t think the Riders will be 15-2-1. They will be 13-5 as I said.

• greenenvy? // April 11, 2018 at 3:20 pm //

Same prediction as Pederson & we all know how accurate he is. I’ll eat my straw hat if Riders get to 13-5. You can mark that down. Usual misguided hype coming out of Regina.

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 3:27 pm //

Pederson is egregious. He is biased to a point of ridiculous.

• greenenvy? // April 11, 2018 at 3:42 pm //

I should add that the Riders have only hit 13 wins TWICE in their entire history & 14 wins once. Now Calgary – they’ve had 5 consecutive seasons of 13-15 wins & 6 of the last 8. So they’ve DOUBLED the # of 13+ win seasons in less than a decade of what the Riders have EVER done, including 2 15 win seasons so, yes, you’re perfectly right to not think of a 15-2-1 season. That is the second highest season all-time. Who do you guys think is quarterbacking your team – Warren Moon? Doug Flutie? That’s not Dave Fennell at DT or Dan Kepley, Alondra Johnson, Dan Bass, Willie Pless at LB. The league is very well balanced. You’re dreaming if you think the Riders can win 13 games with a guy who has never got through a full season at QB in 6 years & a veteran OL that was mediocre last year with not much upside when 4/5 are over 30.

• Envy…you can talk about the past until the cows come home. 2018 is a blank slate.

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 5:36 pm //

And blank slates are the only time the riders are on equal ground with the Stampeders

• greenenvy? // April 11, 2018 at 6:14 pm //

You might notice, Yup, I mostly return fire. Not normally the one shooting first. Just throwing logs on the existing pyre. Of course, I’m the only one guilty of that, right??? Cheers.

• Gets tiring listening to the same old crap envy. At least you can be somewhat objective – ol wooden head is like an overflowing shi*ter. Wish someone would shut his water off

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

I didn’t ask you how the riders will finish, I asked you a hypothetical question. Through the regular season and playoffs, up to the Grey Cup, which season would you rather have?

15. I would rather have 18-0. Go and look at your question if you can’t figure out my response. Going into the 2018 season everyone is currently 0-0. Where are you getting 15-2-1 from for 2018???????????????

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 4:04 pm //

As I said, its a hypothetical question!
      However, your 18-0 response makes my point.
      You discard Calgary because they’ve lost the last 2 Grey Cups. You claim the regular season means nothing- “The regular season champs”, you glee.
      Yet you have just confirmed the regular season IS important. Thank you for pointing out the hypocrisy of ridernation.

16. 19-1 is a FAILURE if they don’t win the Cup.

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 5:35 pm //

Your statement above suggests you are looking at it with the benefit of hindsight of a season complete. What about during the season? Is it not better watching your team win every week and knowing you are going to watch the Western Final at home??

• Green&Gold // April 11, 2018 at 8:50 pm //

You are right. I can tell you that 16-2 meant squat in 1989 when we dominated everyone, then watched as Saskatchewan walked out of Commonwealth with the West title

• Wood horse // April 11, 2018 at 11:50 pm //

Again, thats looking at it in hindsight. Between June and mid November of 1989, you were having one hell of a ride!

• greenenvy? // April 12, 2018 at 1:27 am //

Disrespectful to the team & what they accomplished during the season. Why not just have 5 games to warm up & then have a round robin with everyone, whether 5-0 or 0-5 included, & compete for the Cup. If the record is meaningless, just celebrate the Cup winner & be done with it. Why bother keeping records of regular season wins & losses? The best QB? Not tne guy who threw for the most yds or TD’s. That would be the GRey Cup winning QB. And so on down the list. The Cup – that’s all that counts.