Canadian offensive lineman Dan Federkeil, who retired from pro football in January, has tested positive for a banned substance that he says is related to a medical condition.

The league announced Monday that Federkeil had tested positive for testosterone and faces a two-game suspension if he decides to return to football. The test was conducted during the off-season.

But Federkeil says the testosterone is being used to treat a medical condition and the positive test comes as no surprise.

“I have been dealing with a medical issue for two years but the nature of the condition allowed me to postpone treatment because I fully realized the medically prescribed drug was not compatible with the CFL/CFLPA drug policy. It was only after the 2017 season was over and after I had made the decision to retire that I began the treatment process,” he said in a statement issued shortly after the suspension was announced.

Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel backed Federkeil’s version of events.

“The football team was aware of Dan’s situation from the outset and we appreciate him putting his personal comfort on hold so that he could continue to play for us while remaining in compliance with the drug policy,” Hufnagel said. “We thank Dan once more for his contributions during his five seasons with the Stampeders and wish him health and success in the post-football portion of his life.”

Federkeil was selected in the first round of the 2006 CFL draft by the Toronto Argonauts before signing with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts. He played four seasons in Indianapolis and won a Super Bowl in 2006. He retired after the 2009 NFL season having played in 26 games for Indy. Toronto traded his rights to Calgary in 2013 when Federkeil returned to pro football in the CFL. He lined up at right tackle for the Stamps in 59 regular-season games, four playoff games and three Grey Cups, winning a championship in 2014.

– with files from the Canadian Press

69 Comments on Retired Stamps OL Dan Federkeil says positive drug test due to medical condition

1. How do you ban or test positive for testosterone? It is a naturally occurring hormone. Your testosterone levels can be too high or too low, but it is the male hormone. We all have it.

• Jerimiah was a bull frog // April 9, 2018 at 1:46 pm //

Nope sorry Franco. It is easily found in the system. It’s introduced to your system as a synthetic compound. Secondly if your testosterone ilevel for a 34 year old male is suppose to be 68 and your sitting at 92. It’s humanly impossible to seriously jack up your own testosterone levels to that of two 18 year old young men. haha
      If Dan Federkiel is married or engaged or simply has a girlfriend. If she loves football as much as Dan and enjoys his position in the trenches. That bumping and grinding is certainly going to have an incredibly hard member in there helping all the way.
      Funny that no one hardly cares that an O-Lineman is caught with testosterone. But when Thigpen of the Riders used the same thing to increase his pole volting hardness. Fans from Calgary were frothing at the mouth they were so mad. Funny how things turn out.
      The facts are simple. If the league could test every player in the CFL playoffs each game they played. I’m sure we would all be a little shocked.

2. Scottsask // April 9, 2018 at 1:27 pm //

Over to you dipstick.

3. 3rd and 1 // April 9, 2018 at 1:30 pm //

It dosent state when in the off season. Come in give us the date. Off season is the day after the Grey Cup!
    If Federkiel was juicing in the so called off season. I can guarantee you he was juicing through the playoffs and Grey Cup. That’s the only reason you would be messing with testosterone. It was at the end of his CFL career and he was probably feeling the young guys were becoming stronger than him. That would be the only reason. It’s not because at the end of your CFL Career your old enough to be dealing with and needing help with ED.
    All I want out of this article is to open the eyes of a certain someone who feels his favourite team (this team) is above board and carryies higher morals than the rest of the league. I want this article to tickle the back of his throat and make him gag a bit. I want his bigoted approach on other articles to stop. Or each and every Rider fan is going to remind the man called horse about this article.
    This player needed help at the end of his career. I understand it. I won’t judge him on it. But at the same time I will not encourage any one else to ever do the same. Until you walk a mile in a mans shoes who’s trying to feed his family. Never judge the guy!

• You can guarantee what? .. He started his medical treatment after the season was over. Do you not read?
      Not once did he test possitive for any banned substance during his career. He retired because of his health issues.

• I think Scottsask just called you a dipstick. lol.

4. Oh my………….

5. 3rd and 1 // April 9, 2018 at 1:54 pm //

Everybody can read Matt. Open your eyes and ears. That’s BS that it didn’t start until after the season. Where is the date the sample was taken. Talk is cheap. If he decided to retire and retired. Why is he being tested. It’s all to slippery.
    If that was truly the situation. Why is this even a story. Why?
    Thigpen has never ever tested positive for anything in his career either. Until this year after the regular season was over and well into November. So almost the same time frame for the exact same testosterone.

• Blue rules // April 9, 2018 at 1:56 pm //

3&1, a fair comment
      “if Federkiel was juicing in the so called off season. I can guarantee you he was juicing through the playoffs and Grey Cup” unquote.
      , If so then the same can be said for Duron Carter and the rest of the Rider’s current players who have been charged with criminal activity. Would you not agree?

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 2:08 pm //

But was Thigpen planning on retiring? Was he taking something for a medical condition?- situations are as different has night and day

• Habsnriders // April 9, 2018 at 2:14 pm //

No he didn’t cowardly retire he took like a man and decided to keep playing

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 2:21 pm //

I think it’s pretty well known Dan was going to retire as early has this time last year. H’e being held together with tape! Read the story, learn the facts. This is just a story to give riderfans a moment of fun prior to the reality of the season hitting.

• 3rd and 1. If Huff says so it MUST be true…………

• The sample was taken in February, in his own home. This as per his wife’s comment on the CFL.ca article. So… not the exact same time frame as Thigpen. Also, Thigpen was found to have Dehydrochlormethyltestosterone in his system, which is an anabolic steroid developed in East Germany in the 1960’s as part of a systemic doping program. Federkeil on the other hand had straight testosterone, which does have valid therapeutic uses. So…. not the same substance, either.

6. Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 2:05 pm //

Oh riderfans…..nice try… there is no way to spin this. Nothing to see here. You all saw a big juicy carrot in the headline and couldn’t wait to jump on the stamps. lol

7. I’m glad to know there are so many medical experts out there… as you age you may come to an awareness that you don’t know or can’t understand the variety of medical troubles that can befall us… I had a tumour in my head unbeknownst to me for a number of years… I kept gaining weight and no matter how much I exercised or dieted I just got bigger but not stronger. My migraines increased, etc. etc. It wasn’t until after a long trip/study abroad wherein I seemingly showed no sexual desire to my travelling companion (who I’d been with for 15 yrs) that the doctors discovered a testosterone deficiency of major proportion. They tried a variety of drugs to get at the tumour, and when my hair started to fall out, they also gave me steroids. After a total of 17 years I no longer have the tumour, no longer take any of the drugs, have my hair and testosterone levels up to a reasonable range. The treatment tho’ couldn’t start till I stopped my workouts, etc and got myself back to square one. Once they started, then I returned to biking, skiing, whatever… so give Dan the benefit of the doubt UNLESS you are his doctor

8. Isn’t Calgary quoted by you know who as the best and most ‘POSITIVE’ run football organizations in the CFL !

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

This is a non-story people,

• Gainer Jr // April 9, 2018 at 2:45 pm //

Calgary does it and it’s a non-story…Riders do it and the guy should be banned for life and go to jail haha yea that makes sense. The guy juiced just like Thigpen…same consequences goes to everyone who juices. No team is above the rules for testing positive. Good luck in retirement Dan

• Blue rules // April 9, 2018 at 2:59 pm //

Jr, one major difference Dan is retired, Carter, Thigpen and others are not.

• Gainer Jr // April 9, 2018 at 4:30 pm //

Why are you brining Carter into this conversation, he never tested positive for a banned substance!!! The CFL wouldn’t test a guy who has retired already…would they?? Something sounds fishy with the whole story. It doesn’t matter anyway…Dan won’t play another game and if he does, he will be suspended for 2 games.

• Blue rules // April 9, 2018 at 6:03 pm //

Jr, DC is still a criminal caught with an illegal substance.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 3:27 pm //

The circumstances are night and day,

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm //

Federkiel wasn’t officially retired at the time of the test in all likely hood. Give it up already Gainer, there is no scandal here.

• I wish there was a like button for comments on here. 3down. Fix this.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 5:37 pm //

I dobn’t believe I used “positive” I think I used “best”

9. Scottsask // April 9, 2018 at 2:10 pm //

Oh my that’s a good one!

10. Esks rule // April 9, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

Cheatin Stamp MFers. Classless organization with some of the most classless fans who will surely defend this.

11. Bombs Away // April 9, 2018 at 2:47 pm //

Why are the league testing if he was going to retire? Something does not quite add up. Too many “has” and not enough “had”.

12. rider fan // April 9, 2018 at 3:03 pm //

Yes another cfl player tested positive for hgh as other fans said would be surprised if everyone was tested.

13. Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 3:32 pm //

Rider fandom is never as high as times when the “Evil old Stampeders” card can be played. They love that drama more than the games

• Gainer Jr // April 9, 2018 at 4:34 pm //

Same thing with Stamps fans…Thigpen tests positive and you all come running out from your Mom’s basement calling for him to be banned for life. You guys in Red & White can sure give it to everyone else, but can’t take it when one of your players is accused of the exact same thing. Testing positive is testing positive. Take it like a man…like Thigpen did.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 5:32 pm //

Dan was retired and under going a medical procedure, Huff confirmed it. Thigpen and the other rider were just trying to get bigger and faster by taking the short/easy road.
        To be honest I had forgotten about those 2 until I was reminded today. I’m sure if you scan the crowd at a riders game this year, you will see someone holding a poster with a syringe and Dan Federkiel’s face.

14. Scottsask // April 9, 2018 at 4:07 pm //

What a waste of irony.

• Scottsask – I see after his classless comments yesterday, the mayor of loserville is ALREADY back with a new handle.

Anyhoo – I’ve had dealings with Federkeil, and he is a class individual. Now what escapes knot head is – this case is no different than any of the other positive result in the CFL. The test was done during the season and the results were released now. If he were to play this year he would have received 2 games. Doesn’t make him a criminal, as knot head is always so eager to categorize anybody other than a Stampeder.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 7:17 pm //

WRONG Yup
        The test was done during the off season. Did you read the story? Dan and the team knew this medical procedure would result in a positive test, that why he waited until the off season and retirement to do it! Huff credits Dan for putting up with the pain, specifically to avoid a positive test.

• Typo missed *off* season. Clearly you start typing before your mom is done reading the comments to you. I went on to say >>>>>

“If he were to play this year he would have received 2 games. Doesn’t make him a criminal, as knot head is always so eager to categorize anybody other than a Stampeder” What a toenail

15. Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm //

On a change of topic.
    All fans have a different beacon that officially starts. For me it’s fan fest when I pick up my season tickets. I’m curious what it is for rider fans?
    Maybe when they smell the doobage in the air? Or maybe when Chris Jones checks into the Holiday Inn express for for the extended stay package??

16. Scottsask // April 9, 2018 at 7:05 pm //

I like bacon too.

17. Stamps beacon is when they choke out in the big game! Go Argos! Hahaha.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 8:53 pm //

Calgary should have won Grey Cup 105…….period

• They didn’t PERIOD!!

• Wideout // April 9, 2018 at 9:25 pm //

You are such a piece of shi t human being. You get a positive thread for a disaster, locked, because of your posts, you go on CFL.ca, where it is moderated to a T and get banned after about 4 or 5 days. They have it so policed that most attempts to get back on with another handle gets filtered out so quick that you just quit. You have about 10 and counting handles on this micky mouse site and still get punted every week. I don’t even want your address as others have. Just give me a location in Calgary to meet with you so we can discuss our views in person.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 9:32 pm //

Wow. Thanks for the opinions. Enjoy your evening.

• Wideout – I’m sure it has razor wire on the fence. A staff that speak quietly while trying to determine the level of care needed. Likely very calming paint schemes and decor with extremely soft walls 🙂

18. Wideout // April 9, 2018 at 9:37 pm //

I’d like to. Where???????????????

• I will shorten this up Dan Federkiel tested positive for a banned substance. He’s a class individual, enough said.

Knot head tested negative for brain cells. Doesn’t know what class is. Enough said

19. Wideout // April 9, 2018 at 9:43 pm //

And the’re not opinions, they are facts. Tell me one that isn’t.

• Wood horse // April 9, 2018 at 10:36 pm //

Only 1 thing you said is fact. The rest are plain wrong. Ill gladly speak with you off line and discuss going out for a beer

20. Franco Farinaccio // April 9, 2018 at 9:58 pm //

@Jerimiah was a bull frog maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but you pretty much made my point. Testosterone is a male hormone, we all have naturally in our system. Women have testosterone as well, not as much but they do have it. There are natural levels of testosterone that are acceptable. If you have been using a PED, like an anabolic steroid, above those levels natural levels. So testosterone itself is not banned. If you banned the presence of the hormone, we’d all be banned. It’s the level of testosterone that is the issue.

21. Franco Farinaccio // April 9, 2018 at 10:00 pm //

And my typing on my phone is brutal. That was riddled with mistakes, sorry.

22. Green&Gold // April 9, 2018 at 10:52 pm //

Is 2 games stiff enough for testosterone? Or is the league too hard on him? 🙂

23. Why is anyone bashing this guy for medical treatment that increased his testosterone levels?? He put off the treatment so he would pass the drug testing in the past which I think is quite commendable.

24. The testing is flawed. Maybe not in his case but there are such thing as inaccurate test

25. Edward Leslie // April 11, 2018 at 5:49 am //

Thats three Stamps that have tested positive for banned substances: Quinn Smith (twice), Roy Finch, and now Dan Federkeil.
    Maybe the Stampeder environment with Dickenson and Hufnagel doesn’t get the message that it’s against the rules and bad for you.