Johnny Manziel would go to Patriots in a “heartbeat”

Canadian-born receiver-turned NFL analyst Nate Burleson believes that quarterback Johnny Manziel would be a good fit for the New England Patriots – and Johnny Football is inclined to agree with him.

“I’ll go to New England in a heartbeat,” Manziel said as he snapped his fingers. “In a heartbeat.”

Burleson, who was born in Calgary and played 11 years in the NFL, texts regularly with Manziel and raised the idea of backing up Tom Brady on the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football show.

“When it comes to Johnny and the Patriots…one thing we do need to figure out before anybody puts on a Patriot uniform is how much you’re invested intellectually and how much do you love the game, emotionally. Because we’ve seen guys go there that are halfway in love with the game and that are halfway in love with the idea of being a Patriot. And it doesn’t really work out,” Burleson said.

“Johnny can go there for a reason that not a lot of people really realize. He’s not going beat out Tom Brady, we all know that. I don’t think there’s any quarterback that can beat out Tom Brady as a free agent coming to the Pats. But there is a competition that he would confident in going into, and that’s the second string position which is Brian Hoyer. Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel both played together in Cleveland, so that second string competition will be as high as ever and also be like a memory for both of them and the best man will prevail.”

Burleson believes Manziel’s traits would provide New England with a skill set the Patriots haven’t had in a while.

“If Johnny goes there though, this will be the most athletic quarterback the Pats have had since Tom Brady has taken over,” Burleson said.

Perhaps the Patriots will be watching Manziel closely in The Spring League.

28 Comments on Johnny Manziel would go to Patriots in a “heartbeat”

1. Rocky Mountain High // March 13, 2018 at 7:18 pm //

Gee what a shock! I’m pretty sure any QB making a comeback and without a hope in hell of starting (at least right away) would jump at the chance to go to the Patriots!

• Jeff May // March 14, 2018 at 8:49 pm //

I see too many reasons to be on either side of the fence so I still sit on it
      That said, now it’s gees, you mean if Brady got replaced for whatever possibility, we could’ve had a Superbowl champion QB?
      A quote by a scientist in today’s news said how he believed he could do anything if he wanted to do it!it’s good to believe!
      See, on the fence. If something happened to Mazzoratti, and JM completed 90 percent to win the Grey Cup… then there’s yesterday…

2. please….please….stop giving this clown a platform…no one cares….and this isn’t even a story

Ja Marcus Russell and any has-been or wannabe spring league player would also ‘love to go to the Patriots’ ….and? so?

3. solara2000 // March 13, 2018 at 8:03 pm //

KA, stop playing patsy to this guy. You are making the club, to say nothing of the League look tawdry. He wants to, in his dreams, play in the No Fun League, so give him his wish. Give him your best wishes and ask him not to let the door hit him in his butt as he looks for the next place to play (after the Spring League of course). I assume once he rejected the contract extended by Ti-Cats, that
    rejection extinguished a legal offer to him. So please, stop the death of a 1000 cuts – don’t need JM, don’t want him.

4. Why do you keep talking about manziel. He didn’t want to play in cfl so who cares where he would like to play. Time to talk about players who do play in this league.

• The CFL TSN Hamilton Tiger-Cats Hamilton city TSN and newspapers 3down nation have all benefited re media attention. So I would not stop now. It is simply FREE advertising and a benefit So for all the negative opinions from a handful there are so many (just a few mentioned above) that can thank Johnny Manziel

• Blue rules // March 13, 2018 at 10:14 pm //

John2, I will give you the platform you so badly want. You stated the above entities in your post have all benefited from JM. Now show me the numbers, show me the revenue streams before and after. Show me the bump in viewership before and after. Show me the increase newspaper subscription. Show how much more money, fame & tourism Hamilton has. You say you are an analysis, now prove it. Talk means nothing, numbers are what analysis use. Nothing but hard evidence will count!!

• Lots of comments on the 3downnation.com stories so that one seems a given.

The CFL, TSN, TigerCats and city of Hamilton I can see a bit of free advertising but whether it is significant and/or a benefit would need numbers.

A comment on one of the articles talked about a lot coverage on ESPN’s web site. Using ESPN’s search engine – the high water mark as three articles in a month with gaps of a month or two.

• Blue rules // March 14, 2018 at 9:50 am //

Sorry cats,17 posts in 24 hours, now 18 post, look at any Rider story. Have you been to Regina? They are seriously addicted fans.

• @ Blue rules:

When you say “look at any Rider story”, do you mean the Rider articles with:
            – 3 comments?
            – 9 comments?
            – 19 comments?
            – 35?
            – 85?
            – 167?

Or maybe picking this particular Manziel article plus putting a 24 hour time limit (I believe this comment makes it 25) misses out on the ones with higher comment articles that are in the 50’s, 60’s and 90’s?

Either way – Rider fans commenting more and/or more quickly doesn’t change what interest Manziel articles have generated.

• Blue rules let’s keep this simple. “Cat fan” has it right i am not an expert in media marketing but I do know as cat fan knows there is what you would call media impression dollars that have value.

I do like to see the revenue streams generate but that comes about if and when Johnny Manziel comes to Hamilton. Then you can ask show me stats re attendence going up and Season ticket sales increases for the team. Increase in TSN ratings. The CFL benefits for teams are al quantifiable.

You haven’t followed Manziel in his carrer other than what you may have read in media. Look st you now now you follow everything about Manziel to a point where you have to comment. That is good for 3 down nation.

For example the year in which Johnny Manziel won the Heisman he generated 32 + million based on media impressions. Everyone that I mentioned including the city of Hamilton knows what media exposure – media impressions bring. So let them all take advantage of I them while they can

• Blue rules // March 14, 2018 at 11:33 am //

John, the entities have benefited is what you said!!!,not will benefit. So no proof is the response, maybe in this case you should quit your day job, you can always cut grass for your neighbor.

• Where I see 3downnation benefiting is more visits/comments = more advertising revenues. Comments are a proxy.

From the ones I have read – people who normally wait for the season to start, love or loathe Manziel etc. are visiting/commenting.

Without numbers, it is hard to be sure but even if Rider articles generate more traffic – unless it is only Rider fans commenting on the Manziel articles, it seems to me to be a net gain.

5. Dean, then why do they post stories about Canadian born players signing long term contracts with NFL teams such as Austin Paztor did with Atlanta?

6. Heck ! I’d go to the Pats !!

7. Not a chance in Hell

8. Tommy Morabito // March 13, 2018 at 10:05 pm //

Why, in the blue hell, is 3Down still reporting on this clown !?! The intrigue is over. I have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa, then Manziel ever playing in the CFL. Enough of this shit already.

9. Awaiting Moderation // March 13, 2018 at 10:31 pm //

Yup, this story has absolutely nothing to do with 3 down football.
    Should not be here wasting space.

10. Bleeding Green // March 13, 2018 at 11:05 pm //

Id watch Johnny back up my man TB12. If anyone can straighten this kid out and probably give him his best shot, its BB in my very humble opinion.

11. Ned Flanders // March 13, 2018 at 11:43 pm //

He needs to go away nobody cares

12. I think we may see 29 other stories very similar to this one.

“Johnny would go to Steelers in a heartbeat”
    “Johnny would go to Dolphins in a heartbeat”

Etc, etc.

13. Johnny, for the love of god. Just go!

14. Imagine all the stories if he actually….you know….plays football! I hope he does/can….goodness knows there simply isn’t enough top flight pivot talent in the world.
    If ancient aliens ever return……or the technilogical singularity tuns us all into hybrid cyborgs…..I am hopeful it will at least solve the problem of lack of enough human talent at QB to go around. Oh yeah…..and world peace!

15. I am sure this article/story will get Manziel a contract with the PATS in the near future. They like to take on PAST PROBLEMS from other teams to show them how to put guys on the straight and narrow.

16. ENOUGH ALREADY ABOUT JOHNNY BOY ONE DOES NOT SEE CONTINUED COMMENTS ON HIM IN THE US SPORTS NETWORKS IT MAKES US LOOK A LITTLE NEEDY AND UNDER VALUES THE WELL ESTABLISHED AND TALENTED PIVOTS IN THE CFL

17. Here is one getting a lot of media attention in the USA football world. Johnny Manziel got married. Most sports media and feeds carry the story. Congrats to Johnny Manziel. Who knows it may appear on 3 down for comments.