Derek Dennis says he got caught up in the hype with Riders

Derek Dennis got a call from John Hufnagel right after he was released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

“Huf reached out to me as soon as the news broke and asked if I was interested in coming back. And I told him yeah, I was more than interested in coming back,” Dennis told Mark Stephen on The White Horse Rides podcast.

The former Stampeder was the highest paid American offensive lineman in 2017. He made over $180,000 in 2017 which was due to rise to the high $180,000 range in the final two years of his original three-year agreement with Saskatchewan. But Dennis was cut loose shortly after the free agent period started.

“I took a couple days to work out some numbers and that’s where we are today. In the game of football, it’s not just about the size of the paycheck, you also have to make sure that you’re going to an environment where the people actually believe in you, they show you that they believe in you and they put you in positions to be successful. Unfortunately, things just didn’t work out for me in Saskatchewan – I have no ill will toward them. I just needed to get back to a place where I was before I left,” Dennis said.

Dennis signed that lucrative three-year deal last February after winning the CFL’s Most Outstanding Lineman award in 2016. During his first year with the green and white the 29-year-old started out as the team’s left tackle, but after Bruce Campbell came out of retirement Dennis was shifted to left guard. He started nine games there and missed three due to injury.

“The football aspect of things just didn’t mesh with what I was accustomed to in Calgary. I had gotten used to a system and being around football coaches who were very passionate about putting their players in position to succeed and I just felt like it was a hard adjustment for me to adjust to the culture that they have in Saskatchewan. That’s no knock against what they do,” Dennis said.

After returning to Calgary, Dennis is happy to be in an environment where he knows he’ll enjoy playing football again.

“I kind of let last year and the hype of everything, just the atmosphere of all that people wanted to see get to me,” Dennis said. “I’m just focusing on recapturing my 2016 form.”

80 Comments on Derek Dennis says he got caught up in the hype with Riders

1. Confused // March 6, 2018 at 6:44 pm //

Interesting, so it’s the Riders fault for not putting him in a position to succeed. I’ve never once heard this guy take any responsibility for his garbage play last season.

• Red&White Forever // March 6, 2018 at 10:10 pm //

How about like Lemon and many others before him, Chris Jones tried to force a round peg into a square hole instead of working to a player’s strengths. I guarantee you that Dennis regains his all-star form in Calgary this season.

• Cal Gary Shampeders // March 7, 2018 at 1:46 am //

If he had played as the Riders paid him, they would have won that overtime game in Toronto and would have been in the Grey Cup against a team they had steamrolled a month earlier. The only hype anyone got caught up in was the Riders in Derek Dennis.

2. Raymond // March 6, 2018 at 6:57 pm //

Boo hoo. I couldn’t succeed and it’s everyoje else’s fault. Please feel sorry for me and let me be. Boo hoo.

3. Dennis did play better at guard but was a pylon at tackle for whatever reason. He seems like a decent guy,wish him well with his old team. Now is Jones going to ink Campbell anytime soon ? Anybody have any best guess for our tackle situation ?

4. Blue rules // March 6, 2018 at 7:05 pm //

Things that make me say Hmmmmm.

5. Green is the Color // March 6, 2018 at 7:06 pm //

His comments leave something to the imagination.

6. Puck Hog // March 6, 2018 at 7:11 pm //

The fun part is that Charlton Hughes gets to make him look like he “shite his pants” again this year!

7. Edward Leslie // March 6, 2018 at 7:33 pm //

If Saskatchewan can’t re-sign Bruce Campbell as blindside tackle, maybe they can get Randy Richards. With Dennis back in Calgary, I woukd imagine that Richards gets an apple and a roadmap from Hufnagel any day now.

8. Oh – wow Dennis , that will cost you field respect , real dumb statement!

9. Anonymous // March 6, 2018 at 7:50 pm //

I think he got caught up in his own hype.
    He didn’t do much to garner much attention on the field though.
    The players that are most loved are the ones who don’t get caught up in the media and just perform on game day.

10. He was completely brutal last year , he was not only beat of a job by Campbell but Coleman also no guard on this league is worth $180,000 a year !

11. Pennyrocker // March 6, 2018 at 8:18 pm //

What a cry baby blaming everyone else like a little kid. Now he can go back playing in McMuck Bullring they call a stadium. He must feel great going back to a backwoods outhouse with inferior equipment to workout on.

12. Rider4life // March 6, 2018 at 8:46 pm //

Lol he was so hyped up at the start he dyed his hair green and didn’t perform like he said he was going to do. He ain’t worth the 180 grand of sitting on sidelined and injury. He had no complaints as left gard but just didn’t get it done. Hope he does well over there but can’t see it unless not being mean he’s got to drop 20 plus pounds to be able to start there.just my opinion.

13. riderslide // March 6, 2018 at 8:47 pm //

Good for him! The rider show is a joke on a big stage and he’s not the only guy who failed there due to their system, they all did.

14. Aunt Bee // March 6, 2018 at 9:03 pm //

Yup mind your business

15. 6 for 6 // March 6, 2018 at 9:03 pm //

He was Horrible in 2015 I couldn’t figure out how he was a back up then in 2016 a starter and most Outstanding Linemen he was and is an embarrassment to himself and the league he will be out of Cowtown by Labor day

16. greenenvy? // March 6, 2018 at 9:04 pm //

Lemon, Capicciotti the two big signings the 1st year are doing just fine away from the Regina circus. Dennis the biggest fish last year will do just fine as well. Something about the Riders. Read between the lines. Only FA left from 2016 – Gainey. Besides the top 2 mentioned, Irvin, Greg & Andrew Jones, Steele, Chiles, Price, Hazime, Chambers, Lawrence all gone after one year, Foster after 2. Talk about being able to pick talent in FA. 2017, same story. Dennis, Ryan White, LaFrance, Love, Milton, Morris, Owens & Brouillette. All gone except the last 2 who did little – 7 games for Brouillette, 3 for Owens. Probably don’t make it past training camp. And gee, maybe Bladek will be the FIRST Rider from Jones’ 2 drafts to actually become a regular. In Jones we trust. Go figure. Talk about a list of failures in FA & the draft. So if you want to talk about how great Collaros & the BIG additions in the over-the-hill duo of Messam & Hughes are going to make the Riders a contender, along with Hurl & the 2 pylons maquerading as Muamba, Knox & Foster this year, you may be in for a surprise. Look at the list of FA signings of Jones the past 2 years when everyone was hyperventilating over his “genius”. The majority are out of the league. Dennis’ performance in Regina might in fact have a lot to do with the team. The performances of 90% of the FA Jones’ “eye for talent” brings in have one thing in common – they don’t do well in Regina. Just saying – facts are facts. I wouldn’t diss Dennis too much.

• Green is the Color // March 6, 2018 at 9:09 pm //

Your diatribe can be written about the stumps too. Your obsession is clinical and I am pretty sure some around the U of C will want to interview you for their PhD on closet lover affairs. Green envy is an understatement. You little lady, troll better than any other.

• greenenvy? // March 6, 2018 at 10:05 pm //

“Green is the Color”……….of envy. Pot. Meet kettle. Someone has to stick up for Dennis. It’s not his fault Jones makes so many dumb decisions. Not my fault you can’t see what’s clearly there. But like you say, love is blind, especially when it comes to CJ. So about that U of C dissertation on closet love affairs, Green…….you’re closer to Calgary than I am. You already got their # I’m sure.

• Don’t think anybody has to “stand up” for Dennis, Envy. An all star O lineman knows his assignments regardless of who coaches him,and Dennis failed miserably. Hope he does well in Calgary. I will be objective (as a Rider fan) and admit that I too have questioned some of the decisions Jones has made and still have some concerns at this point. End of the day, he put a good product on field last year and was very close to heading to the Grey Cup. We can all speculate as to who’s coaching staff is better, but the 2018 season will speak for itself.

• Puck Hog // March 7, 2018 at 12:49 am //

Greenenvy – I guess ur name says a lot. Only fear of the Riders could possibly incite you to write at lengths about the team. What other rationale could it be?

• Bizarre. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen you talk about Lemon and Capicciotti. So you’re saying, one more time, that you think the Riders would be better off right now if we still had Lemon and Capicciotti instead of Jefferson and Hughes?? I didn’t bother reading past that. Plus 5 in the win column last year Mr. envious! +5!

• greenenvy? // March 7, 2018 at 4:52 pm //

You don’t read very well. I’m saying no one sticks around long & that’s a problem. When you go & sign a bunch of free agents & discard them for a new bunch of free agents, some before a year is even up, & then in year 2 go through the same thing again it means that you probably don’t have much of a plan. He signed Dennis to 3 years so obviously that was wrong or he wouldn’t be gone. The one certainty with Mr. Jones is that the majority of free agents he signs THIS year will be gone next year spouting the line “we didn’t fit his system”. It would also be nice if just ONE of his draft picks from the past 2 years actually would develop into a starter – you know, like other teams do. Yes & your PLUS 5 is getting monotonous. You DO know that both the Riders & Argos had 6 more wins in 2017 & BOTH were 11-9 in 2017. YES, playoff wins count – a lot. So ARGOS – PLUS 6!!!!!! AND A GREY CUP.

• Bleeding Green // March 7, 2018 at 11:20 am //

You really do seem to have a thing for the Riders. I know its not jealousy like people say but you just can’t help yourself. You HAVE to comment on every story about the Riders. Its comical. Even your NAME is about the Riders. I’m sure there’s meds for this type of thing. Have you seen your physician?

17. Chris Jones has always struggled with the concept of putting players in a position to succeed. The above comment did a good job of outlining some of the talent that’s been horribly misused by Jones.

The guy is so obsessed with his laughable schemes that he’s convinced himself that he can just plug and play anyone off the scrap heap. Jones will play favourites with no talent scrubs like Mak Henry and Jeff Hecht because they fit his narrative of being a “genius” who can make any hack off the scrap heap succeed in his scheme.

18. mmmbacon // March 6, 2018 at 9:38 pm //

love reading all these anti Rider losers comments. too bad they arent as passionate about their own teams. The other 8 teams in the league could use some real fans. Oh well. Let Canadas team, The Riders reign supreme!

• greenenvy? // March 6, 2018 at 10:08 pm //

And you have facts to support your undivided love for Jones I presume or do you just want to continue running off at the mouth about……..well, nothing.

• +5 in the win column! I know you hate it. I know you’re in denial. But read it a weep, because it’s a fact!

• George Porge // March 12, 2018 at 7:23 pm //

Yeah, I don’t think most people here would be jealous of a team that barely backed into the playoffs after spending two years watching from the sidelines. That stadium tho.

• CFL family // March 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm //

If there are so many anti rider haters how can they be Canada’s team???? Would take not make time Canada’s villain ?

19. Just calling it as I see it, my friend.

Never understood why so many people prefer pom pom waving instead of objective analysis.

20. mmmbacon // March 6, 2018 at 9:49 pm //

i think Jones’ Grey Cup rings trump your objectiveness. I do agree that cheerleading is counter productive. But so is blind hatred of an organization.

• greenenvy? // March 6, 2018 at 10:17 pm //

More facts. Jones got rings in the year he joined the teams in Mtl, Calgary & Toronto. So he got on board teams that were built before he got there. In Toronto the Cup was won because of Ray, Owens & Kackert. They got hot scoring 40 pts or more the final 3 games going into the playoffs, not because of the defence. As for Edm, 17 of the 24 starters were in Edm in 2013 before Jones arrived. So mmmmbacon, let’s put his rings in perspective. Jones has no record of “building” a team – that’s a fantasy Rider Nation perpetuates just like how his ex-players like to follow him. Maas has 11 ex-RedBlacks on his team, most of them starters. Jones, well he got Hughes in a trade, Jefferson followed him and…….wait, I’m thinking.

21. Blue rules // March 6, 2018 at 9:50 pm //

Envy, very good assessment. A team is only as good as the coach, it up to the coaches to get the best from each player, understanding how to get the most from each player is most important, good coaches know football, great coaches know players who how to play football.

22. Justin Truedope // March 6, 2018 at 9:51 pm //

To greenenvy?

I want to have a beer with you. Your assessment is exactly what I think of Calamity Jones and his sh3tshow.
    To all the experts out there; I’m from Saskatchewan but I’ve quit supporting the Riders because of just what greenenvy? spoke of.

• Puck Hog // March 7, 2018 at 8:47 am //

It sounds like you are greenenvy, responding to yourself. Nice try……..

• I find the blatant dislike of Jones by some – has blinded them. He was hired to build sustained success, and has been doing just that. A fan (who’s an armchair GM) criticizing Chris Jones – is sour grapes over something else beside football. Jones will have this team in much better position in 2018 than 2017. They’re paid to improve and he’s doing this.

• Green is the Color // March 7, 2018 at 4:21 pm //

And you won’t be missed. Obviously you’re not a true fan as you would understand better what’s it like. So don’t break an ankle getting off the hay wagon and don’t break your face when you try to jump back on when Jones shows you exactly why he has 4 rings.

23. Rider4life // March 6, 2018 at 9:58 pm //

Lol did DRESSLER,DD,Ryan Smith, fantuz,Fulton Getzlah ect do any good after they left the Riders nope. Only one that actually did average was John chick.So I guess point is we traded or released a few guys in last 3 yrs that didn’t do shitnon other teams bit did good job as a rider but as well brought in some great players in there spot.we will see come Nov who be at the bottom either bc or Winnipeg as Riders will not be in basement as we have a great TEAM this year.

• How did Shawn Lemon fare once he got out of the ridiculous rotation Jones put him in?

• greenenvy? // March 6, 2018 at 10:26 pm //

I never daid he should ‘t release those players. My point is the replacements he got were mostly discarded. In fact Chick had a very good season the following year as did Dressler. Which brings up the point – Chick was great @ 33, not so good @ 34. Hughes was great @ 33. Who’s to say he’ll be great @34. Jones is desperate to win so now he’s bringing on a bunch of old guys. When he first came to Regina didn’t he say he was releasing old guys & building a young athletic team for sustained success? Where is that team? Sounds a lot like the Argos who have a good young team &, oh yes, a GC in their first year under Trestman. Jones plan looks a lot like Taman to me.

• Oh dear. You’re a one man fail army!

• Get over it green. Jones isn’t going anywhere for at least 2 years… if he bothers you that much maybe you should find something else to do for a couple years, because nobody wants to hear your complaining fo that long.

24. A football team needs some level of continuity in order to succeed. Cannot be constantly churning the roster as Jones is doing with Regina.

Jones always had someone to keep him in check – – Don Matthews, Hufnagel, Jim Barker, even Ed Hervey kept him from making so many asinine personnel mistakes.

25. Provemewrong // March 6, 2018 at 10:21 pm //

Yet another player jumping form a sinking ship!!

• If by jumping you mean he got cut, and by sinking you mean rising, then you’re right.

• Green is the Color // March 8, 2018 at 1:11 pm //

Sinking ship is a haters stretch. Seriously say something remotely true or plausible or be labeled a troll.

26. Take this // March 6, 2018 at 11:48 pm //

Keep in mind when you talk about Chris Jones and his Grey Cup rings that he didn’t win any of them as a GM. Aside from Edmonton, he wasn’t even head coach. With the Riders, he has so many titles, he only answers to Craig Reynelds who he has over a barrel because Reynelds gave him complete control over all aspects of the team. In the third year of this regime, it is time to quit bringing up Taman’s name. This is Jones team and bringing up, yet again, players that Taman may have overpaid is irrelevant at this point. They are long gone and Jones is building his own long list of players who he has overpaid and released. In several cases, they have gone on to play well elsewhere. When too many good players don’t fit into his system, perhaps it is time to look at the system.

• Oh don’t worry. When a team adds 5 wins to it’s total in a year you you can be sure that every team in the league is looking at its system. The Riders are the rising franchise in the league right now, and as you can see in this thread is causing widespread panic amongst some of the fans of other teams. Every team will be studying the Riders and trying to figure out how Jones has done it, but it mostly boils down to hard work, on the recruiting side and the strategy side. Jones did an interview recently where he talked about studying Bill Belichick and how the Patriots have brought in certain key vets to help keep them on top. That was a key change he made last year, and the vets he brought in were a big part of our improvement. Rather than just a rookie team or a veteran team you need the right mix, and Jones was very successful putting together the right combination last year.

• greenenvy? // March 7, 2018 at 5:03 pm //

Sooooo if you go to 5 wins from ZERO the year before everyone wants to “look at your system”?? How about 2 wins to 7? Are there special rules RFD? Careful now, the Riders are up to 10 wins & 4th place. You might want to raise your expectations a bit.

27. Take this // March 7, 2018 at 6:18 am //

Get over the Belicheck comparison. Jones is only like Belicheck in his own mind. Does Belicheck bring in key vets, overpay them, only to find that in the second year of their contract that he can’t afford them under the cap? No. Don’t think so. Does Belicheck find that most of these key signings don’t fit into his system anyway? No. Don’t think so. Do the players that leave the Patriots almost invariably seem happy to get out of Belicheck’s system? No. Don’t think so. Do the players that leave the Patriots consistently have a better year with another team? No. Don’t think so. If you choose to compare a CFL coach to Belicheck, then it would have to be Trestman, in my opinion. He had the youngest team in the league, along with Ottawa. He signed a few key vets in Ricky Ray and S. J. Green. Oh, and won the Grey Cup in his first year with the team. And the kicker, those key vets will be back with the team again this year and he can still afford them. He also managed to sign one of the most sought after young quarterbacks in recent memory. Trestman is a master at bringing in players, developing a system that works with those player’s strengths and getting those players to have the best years of their career. Jones gives good players a one year big payday and then sending them off so that they can have a better season elsewhere with a smaller paycheck. Recruiting? Most of the players that carried the team last year were recruited by another CFL team and several of them have moved on, such as Mrabre and Muamba and A. C. Leonard.
    As for widespread panic from other team’s fans, I don’t think so. Jones paid a huge salary to a quarterback who has not played well since 2015. Big question mark. That quarterback will be behind what was one of the worst O lines last year. Jones has added Bond but at this point, has no proven left tackle. Another question mark. He is also up against the cap and the team may yet have to lose some more high salaries. His Canadian talent is still suspect and he has very few draft picks left. Add to that, last year, the Riders MOP is a volatile time bomb, not a reliable steadying influence. Panic indeed!

• Wait, Jovon Johonson, Dyakowski and Owens have been cut?! They didn’t fit into his system?! **checks the record** No, I guess this is just you making up a fantasy world, an alternate reality, that makes you feel better. I can understand that. Breathing into a paper bag may help you as well.

Do the players that leave the almost invariably seem happy to get out? Do the players that leave consistently have a better year with another team? Um… wut? Oh yeah, this is that fantasy world again, right? So I’ll just stop here then, and leave you to your fiction/self mediaction. Whatever it takes to get you though the day, right? I hope you feel better soon! It’s only March after all. What are you going to be like when the season starts!

• Take this // March 7, 2018 at 3:39 pm //

It was not Johnson, Owens and Dyakowski that I was referring to. Although Dyakowski was not great last year and Owens played very little. Dennis, Lemon, Cappicotti, Muamba, while all very good players were mostly overpaid and their salary was unsustainable or did not fit the system. Taman was criticized for overpaying players. How is Jones any different? Many of the players that left here are openly glad to be gone. Lemon, Chambers, Cappicotti, Lawrence are a few examples of players happy to be out of here. The future will show which of us are out of touch with reality. Apparently, the best you have in your defence is ridicule.

• Since you obviously don’t care about the facts I don’t know why I would waste my time giving you a serous answer, but just this once … Dennis, Lemon, Cappicotti were all beaten out by better players. Dennis was beaten out by Campbell and Lemon and Cappicotti Jefferson, Leonard and Antigha. They were well paid and that always factors in to some extent, but primarily they were just beaten out by better players. The only one who was primarily cut because of his salary was Muamba. As a potential all-star MLB his salary was “sustainable”, to use your term. We just chose to go in another direction. And while Jones isn’t afraid to give out top dollar to a good FA there is no comparison to Taman’s massive over payments. Twice in Getzlaf’s 8 years with the Riders he edged past the 1000 yard mark, and only one other time did he pass the 900 mark, and yet Taman was paying him $220,000. Clark, Dressler and Chick were also making at least 50% more than they were worth. There is no comparison whatsoever between Taman and Jones.

And I’ve never heard anything about Chambers, Cappicotti, or Lawrence being “happy to be out of Sask.” I think that’s just your fantasies talking to you again. Chambers and Lawrence had both previously played for Jones in Edmonton, in fact, and they came to Sask. because of Jones, so your comment doesn’t add up at all. Maybe you heard them say they were happy to get another opportunity somewhere, but that’s not the same as being unhappy with Jones.

28. Dennis didn’t earn his salary last year and it’s unlikely he wouldn’t earn it again this year in the green & white. Maybe he can regain his form in Calgary.

29. Take this – Your comment is indicative of someone who’s hate for the Riders & Jones has blinded you to the realization that you require facts when making accusations.

Belichick was mentored by Bill Parcells. Jones is also mentored by Parcells who Jones talks to almost everyone morning around 5 A.M.. Jones & Parcells have been doing this for a number of years.

More similarity – Bill Belichick & Jones have both excelled as defensive coordinators. There a number of teams in the NFL are observing from a distance what the NE Patriots are doing in an attempt to duplicate the Patriots success. Jones, on the other hand, by getting his information right from the source (Parcells) will have the greatest chance of success of emulating the New England Patriots success.

The comparison to Belichick is legitimate and shouldn’t be overlooked. However, in your case, it is evidently apparent that hate has overpowered logic & reason.

• Take this // March 7, 2018 at 2:55 pm //

You are right about me disliking Chris Jones. But you want facts. Let’s look at some facts. Belicheck is credited in the NFL with bringing in players and making them better than they have ever been before. He is well known for recognizing the strengths of players and designing plays to take advantage of those strengths. How many players leave New England and become all stars with another team while they were total busts with the Patriots? There are several players that Jones has on that list. He believes in plug and play and anyone that doesn’t fit into that mold is cut because they don’t fit into his system. Belicheck changes his system enough to take advantage of different skill sets. Belicheck has been with the Patriots for a long time. He has won several Super Bowl rings there and sticks with them. He has maintained a sustainably successful team for some years now. Jones has never stayed with a team very long. If he wins a Grey Cup, he is always on the move. He has never actually built a successful team because he has never been GM anywhere before now. Only one ring came as head coach, the rest as assistant coach and usually in his first year there. Belicheck is not known for picking the top players in free agency and overpaying them for a year, only to drop them after one season due to cap concerns or not fitting into his system. Belicheck has proven that he can build and maintain a winning team, all be it with interference from Kraft. Jones has proven nothing yet with no interference from Rider management. The only similarity that I see is that they both cheat. Having a mentor does not always mean that you will ever be as good as the one teaching you. If that were true, wouldn’t there be an abundance of great second string quarterbacks in both leagues instead of a shortage of talented QBs on either side of the border. My logic may be coloured by my dislike of Jones but no more than yours is by your blind faith and adoration of Jones.

30. The Realist. // March 7, 2018 at 1:29 pm //

I can’t understand why anybody can justify defending Chris Jones as a GM. His ring collection is a result of being in the right place at the right time, it’s not because of anything he built.

31. Raymond // March 7, 2018 at 1:34 pm //

Chris Jones is awesome. Haters gonna hate. And losers gonna complain on here, maybe you guys should spend time on your own teams and you’d actually have fan bases. Losers.

32. When he says he got “caught up in the hype” that just seems to be an admission of a lack of self-discipline on his part–not paying enough attention to his play on the field–and instead falling victim to all the attention, adulation, etc. that is a part of being a Roughrider in Saskatchewan…

33. Bombs away // March 7, 2018 at 6:50 pm //

Those who think Saskatchewan has a great team should remember this. We are only in March so no one has yet to taste the pudding. How many times have we heard this? “Look out guys! we are dynamite”.
    Dennis was just polite.

• You’re right Bombs. In fact Dennis was so polite he graciously allowed defenses a direct lane to the quarterback.

34. CFL family // March 8, 2018 at 5:43 pm //

1 thing that must be said. Going from 5-11 to 10-8 is a very good improvement, but without even thinking I know Calgary went from 4 wins in 2004 to 11 wins in 2005 and Hamilton went from 2 wins in 1997 to 12 wins in 1998…. stop acting like Jones as pulled off an unprecedented feat.

• Who said anything about being unprecedented? It’s very rare to be sure, but not unprecedented. We’ve just been responding to team panic&denial who have been trying to suggest that Jones hasn’t done a very good job, if you can believe it. Plus 5 in the win column and and people are bending over backwards to try to find ways to dump on him, unbelievable. But I do get it. Edmonton fans feel jilted because he dumped them, and Stamps fans are panic stricken because they hear those green footsteps stomping up behind them, so I do get it. It`s just a little pathetic.

35. Tinhead296 // March 8, 2018 at 10:40 pm //

Dennis was overpaid and a bust last year. If you notice, most free agents these days only signed one year deals with the odd one a two year deal. Jones is bringing in some older players for their experience and veteran leadership, with the right mix of younger players. Thats how the Riders won the cup in 2013 by basically going all in with the right mix.

• George Porge // March 12, 2018 at 4:04 pm //

Of course, that is ignoring the fact that the Riders had plenty of experience and veteran leadership when Jones was hired. He just canned all the veterans and leaders and decided to spend a couple of years trying to find his own.

36. Evil Empire // March 9, 2018 at 10:46 am //

LOL @ RFD…

As I said, son. He’s the GM now. The fact that so many players have gone to SK in FA prove he is overpaying them. How many players followed him from Mtl to Cgy. Then from Cgy to Tor. Then from Tor to Edm. It’s a handful in each instance. But, this is the CFL. Movement is inevitable. Just because players he’s coached previously, actually end up on the same team as him. How does that even remotely prove that he is why they went there ?

You throw up a list of Ex-Esks players that became Riders in 2016. Completely disregarding that I said That as a GM. He offered them more money than the Eskimos, or any other team was willing to pay them. Please remind me how that season went for him. Clearly, they weren’t “ ALL THE TOP PLAYERS “. The top Eskimo players ( their leaders ) are either still in Edm, or tried their hand in the NFL. A cpl may have gone elsewhere. But, they ARE NOT in SK.

If you think Edmonton’s GC Champion FAs were lining up to join a 3-15 team ( 2015 ). Just because of the new coach. You’re off your rocker. And, exactly how well did all that high priced talent produce in 2016 ? 5-13…LOL. Is that money well spent ?

So, yeah… More followed him from Edm to SK, than any of his previous stops. But, they were chasing the dollar, and he was willing to pay more for them. Any player that has gone to SK since the 2015 GC. Went there for money. Everybody knows it. If other teams actually wanted to keep their FA. Or, wanted to acquire new FAs from other teams. They would have offered more money. They didn’t because they didn’t think those guys were worth what the Pied Piper was willing to overpay them. Hervey built that 2015 Championship team. So, it’s obvious he knew how to build a winner. That’s just common sense, son. And, how many of the guys on your list are still there ?

He ditched the franchise QB, ( The most loved Rider since Lancaster ) for Kevin Glenn. That was a stroke of genius. Ditch one old guy to acquire a different old guy. Oh, right…Franklin was a done deal. Jones had him all locked up from his time in Edm ( Tampering). Jones was going to get the Messiah in free agency. LOL…But, the guy was NOT even a FA. Then it was … Okay, we know for a fact that Franklin is a FA after the 2017 season. And, that’s when Jones gets him. Oops, I guess not. You don’t have a legit argument for anything you say. And, calling others liars. Is NEVER going to change that.

If Jones really was getting ALL THE TOP PLAYERS. I have to wonder why the team is 15-21 in his time there. ZERO football fans on the planet earth would say 15-21 is anything but a FAIL for a Head Coach. And, it’s a MASSIVE fail when the HC is also the GM. And, look at the money he’s getting paid. Is 15-21 worth what he’s being paid ? Of course not. And, is that 15-21 record worth the money it has cost Jones in FA ? Of course not.

That’s not even counting fines, drops in revenue, etc.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. And, move the goalposts with every ridiculous word you type.

Then as soon as you know you’ve been exposed… You trot out the old “ I won’t be reading it anyway ”. I don’t blame you, son. If I were you I’d bail too. You’re full of it, you know it, and are out of your depth.

Revisionist history, intentional ignorance, or flat out lying. I’m not going to allow you to get away with any of them. I didn’t tell a single lie. You just conveniently ignore what doesn’t suit your narrative. I say only a handful of players followed him from one team to the next. That’s 100% fact. And, it was only overpaid FAs that followed him from Edm to SK. Can you dispute that ? Of course not.

There are 8 GMs that chose not to pay what Jones offered to FAs. Are you seriously trying to push the narrative that they went to Regina ( To follow him apparently ). For any reason other than money ? And, unless you think 5-13 is a good record. How can they be anything but overpaid ?

Talk about lying. You’re about as dishonest as they come, son. Or, would you rather cop to the explanation that you’re not very smart ? It’s your call.

Here endeth the lesson.