Burris opens mouth, inserts foot… again

Henry Burris is back at it again.

By “it,” of course, I mean taking shots at the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

It seems that any time Burris has a mic in front of his face he can’t help but bury the Ticats. His latest comments has him questioning whether the Ticats coaching staff can co-exist. He wonders whether there are “too many chiefs in the tent” and if “stuff could hit the fan” if the team isn’t successful out of the gate.

And speaking of gates, Burris already has a (not-so) catchy name for the Ticats potential problems: Jerry Glanville gate.

Head meet desk.

Burris using the media to grind an axe against the Ticats is nothing new. It happened in the lead up to the 2015 Grey Cup, again during Ottawa’s post-game celebrations after winning the 2016 Grey Cup, and most recently when he released a list of his top CFL quarterbacks. But his latest barbed aimed at Hamilton take things to a different level by basically dooming the Ticats to failure before even a single practice has taken place.

I get that Burris is now in the business of opinion giving, and I know that Glanville’s hiring was not exactly met with streamers and a ticker-tape parade by the Ticats faithful, but for a guy who played the game at a high level for two decades and was, shall we say, less that receptive to any criticism levelled against him late in his career, you would think he would be a little more measured in his analysis.

I will never claim to know the game better than Henry Burris, and because of that I hold him to a higher standard of analysis than I do someone who didn’t excel at the game’s highest level for two decades. But yet Burris, who could use his position in the media to truly educate fans, fires off the same lame “HOT TAEKS” we get from trolls on social media. And most of them are usually aimed squarely at the team that dumped him following the 2013 season.

I’m not saying Henry Burris can’t be critical of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I’ve said my fair share of negative things about the organization over the years. But I can’t think of a single instance where Burris said something positive about the Ticats, and that makes you wonder if he is being genuine in his critiques or if he is just using his platform to grind that axe because he is still biter about how his time in Steeltown ended.

Burris has claimed to have “let go of the past,” but I think his spoken words seem to contradict his written ones.

It is clear that Burris’ exit from Hamilton is still a sore spot, but if he truly wants to move on — and believe me, no one would be happier if he moved on than me — then he needs to do just that.

What’s the old saying again, “the best revenge is living a good life” or something along those lines? Maybe someone should give Hank that little piece of advice.

Josh Smith

Josh Smith

Josh has been writing about the Ticats and the CFL since 2010 and was sporting his beard way before it was cool. Will be long after, too.
Josh Smith
Josh Smith
About Josh Smith (319 Articles)

71 Comments on Burris opens mouth, inserts foot… again

1. Hank will not send a Christmas card to Kent Austin anytime soon.

2. Sticks his foot in his mouth. It sounds like the author is the one who has an issue, with Henry Burris.

Burris was asked his opinion as a paid analyst and he gave it. He raised some serious concerns about whether people with such strong personalities can co-exist on the same staff. They have all been all alpha dogs on their respective staffs. It is a perfectly legitimate concern expressed by Burris.

If you listened to the whole interview, he also said the team has a lot of talent on that staff and there is also potential for it to be a very good combination.

Just because you live in the Steeltown, doesn’t mean you can’t be objective.

• I couldn’t agree more. I listened to the interview also. He was asked a question, he answered. Burris has moved on. Too bad Smith can’t or won’t.
      There are some fine people who contribute a lot to this site. Josh Smith is not one of them.

• I agree!!
      Josh says “I can’t think of a single instance where Burris said something positive about the Ticats”
      LOL – Josh – has there been anything positive about the Ticats in the last 3 years??

• Alex Droho // March 6, 2018 at 11:28 am //

Well said Franco!

3. Blue rules // March 5, 2018 at 5:55 pm //

Josh sounds like you can stand to receive that very same advice. You follow Hank like Hank follows Ottawa. Just stop!

4. Hell – Hank could put his foot between the gap in his teeth. Say goodnight Hank

• That’s a personal hit sorry Yup that is a juvenile childish comment.
      Get back to criticizing someone’s words not their appearance.
      Sounds like you have a gap between your ears or you are 10 years old

5. Jim Fitzpatrick // March 5, 2018 at 5:57 pm //

Franco…I agree. Not sure what the point of this story was.

• The purpose of this story was simply that it is “CLICK BAIT”. A story written for no other purpose but to generate “Hits” to a web page. The more “Hits” or “Clicks” on a web page, the more money that can be generated in advertising revenue. Thus, in this case, 3 Down Nation generates a worthless story to get more “Hits” on its webpage to generate more “Income” for itself in the form of advertising dollars. Very smart on 3 Down Nation’s part actually (if you think about it), which also explains why these types of stories will continue to be written going forward.

• No 3DownNation // March 6, 2018 at 10:29 am //

Exactly!And this is 3DownNation reporting it…the tabloid fodder for the CFL! i trust their reporting as much as I trust JT…I don’t trust either!

6. Justin Truedope // March 5, 2018 at 6:08 pm //

Hank can put his foot in his mouth anytime he wants, he always has. Personally my favourite memory of Hank is the deer in the headlights look in his last game as a Ti-cat, thinking about it still makes me chuckle.

• He had that look everytime he wanted a flag.

• He SUCKED in that 2013 GC. Choker extraordinaire.

• Green is the Color // March 6, 2018 at 5:51 pm //

Not really. He played well but was simply out matched and out gunned. Not Heeeeennnnnnrrrrryyyy’s fault they lost. But the drone in the stadium each time the offense was on was deafening.

• But you forget that he took a second year Ottawa team to 12 wins and a Grey Cup appearance while the Ticats sat on the sidelines.
      One year later Hank wins the league MOP and wins the Grey Cup.
      That makes me chuckle more

• Tiger man // March 6, 2018 at 12:52 pm //

2015, our starter was on the sidelines through the second half of the season. With our THIRD stringer, we came within a single play of eliminating Burris from the playoff.

The next season, Burris was benched for a time because of his poor efforts. His whining became so vocal that he publicly chastised TSN for daring to criticize him.

For those two years, no team in the east had a quality starting quarterback except the RB’s. You guys had two. Little wonder you got to the Grey Cup.

Hey Joe, quite the display of revisionist history….

7. This is complete rubbish. Burris is commenting on the crazy org and coaching structure in Hamilton.

Orlando S is A/HC.

Jerry Glanville – DC (no recent coaching experience and likely never even watched a CFL game).

No Special Teams Coordinator.

Forget the upper echelon and Kent Austin hanging around when he says he still wants to coach.

You’re crap on Burris is rubbish. He’s no longer a player but a commentator now. We need these guys to be fearless in speaking out.

We need this sort of rubbish less.

Get over it dude. Burris has. He’s retired..

• Cat Fan // March 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm //

You seem pretty nonchalant about assuming Glanville has never watched the CFL.

If you had bothered to read Milton’s article on Glanville, you may have noticed he was a guest coach during 2017 training camp.

Not sure if it was the challenge of trying to figure out a defense for a CFL offense but he says he watched every CFL game on ESPN. If it is combo of ESPNews/ESPN2 then the schedule I could find was 13 game. If it was ESPN3, then the number is more likely the complete CFL schedule (I stopped counting at 50 games).

How is guessing about something that takes all of ten seconds to contradict anything but rubbish.

• There was another article on Glanville that said that he watched every single CFL game televised on TSN last year.

• Cat Fan // March 5, 2018 at 9:46 pm //

Not sure if TSN is available where Glanville was.

Either way – he has at minimum seen some of training camp plus what seems to be a fair amount of games. Probably from a different POV than I have while watching. *grin*

• ALL TSN broadcasts are available on the INTERNET on ESPN3 which is a streaming service!!

• Geez – maybe I will cancel my cable for the summer! Nice info!

• Sorry my reply should have said ESPN – I don’t know what percentage if CFL games they carry out of the total.

• Evil Empire // March 9, 2018 at 8:23 am //

I’m a born, and bred CDN, but have lived just outside of Washington DC ( In Virginia), for the past 5 yrs. A lifelong ( 40 years ) fan of the Eskimos, and CFL football. Since the time when the whole CFL schedule was finally broadcasted. I would watch any game I could. If I was home. I’d watch the games. Didn’t matter who was playing.

TSN is definitely NOT available where I live. And, I could not get any kind of TSN GO, either. So, I was pretty concerned when I first discovered this.

I can confirm that ESPN2 ( an actual TV channel ) shows many games before the NFL gets going. Which is a great idea, imo. Since Americans are so football crazy. Then they pick up all 5 of the CFL playoff games.

But, the COMPLETE CFL season can be streamed on ESPN3. So, just as in Canada. I can watch any game I want.

As for Hank. The guy has an ego for sure. And, he’s been known to deflect criticism. He’s a prima donna in that way. And, always has been. But, if this was simply answering a question he was asked. What’s the big deal ?

It’s like getting upset about Power Rankings. It’s not like they’re a “ real thing “. It’s simply one man’s opinion. And, he’s entitled to it. Just as all of us are allowed our own opinion. Clearly Hank, and the author have different opinions. Imagine that.

Nothing to see here…

Moving on.

• Great Post since you clearly explain why this post by 3 Down Nation is nothing more than “click bait” as I detailed above.

• No 3DownNation // March 6, 2018 at 10:33 am //

Sadly there are others in this feed that have taken this too far and ignore the greatness of Henry Burris! Burris is very smart and the sensitive fans here are rubbish! Grow up and get some education from the CFL!The truth hurts!

8. bigplay // March 5, 2018 at 6:29 pm //

Josh I already stated on this site I dislike Thin Skin Hank the guy with the biggest chip in the world on his shoulder.He berates the TSN guys on live TV then joins them as soon as his career is over.He does not give the Cats any credit for taking a chance on him after Hufnagel determined Hank was no longer a starting QB.But Josh when your team is as Dysfunctional as the Hamilton Tiger Cats what do you expect! Look around the League at other Teams Organizational set ups and then look at the Cats current set up seems very Convoluted and Unorthodox to say the least and I for one could not agree more with Thin Skin Hank.

• Cat Fan // March 5, 2018 at 7:54 pm //

Not sure in what ways … I can see some teams with separate VP and GM, some with this combined. Some have AHC while others don’t. Some have more staff listed in the executive/scouting/video while others have less.

The parts that seem to be unique are the AHC with no official other role and ST combined with other roles (some other teams have two ST coaches).

HC then down seems to be similar compared to other teams at eleven (some as low as nine and some as high as fourteen).

• No 3DownNation // March 6, 2018 at 10:36 am //

Bigplay how’s your ego response? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Maybe you should look in your mirror before you post! Henry has no more of a chip on his shoulder than anyone else here so don’t use this forum to rant about something that has nothing to do with Henry and everything to do with 3DownNation and the three ringed circus in Hamilton! What a freaking gong show!

9. Sounds like smilin’ hank has a bone to pick with the tabbies

• Actually it sounds like Josh has a bone to pick with Hank. Hank is now a sports commentator and he “calls em as he sees em”
      He is critical of what is going on in Hamilton, but so many people are critical too

10. Lennywasout // March 5, 2018 at 7:05 pm //

Who is paying Hank for his opinion?

11. solara2000 // March 5, 2018 at 7:37 pm //

Not sure why everyone is bent out of shape. It’s just his opinion and everyone has one.

• Billinburlington // March 5, 2018 at 10:54 pm //

Exactly my initial thought. However I will hold my comments until I listen to the 3ntire interview.

12. Paul Bomber // March 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm //

If Hank isn’t burning a bridge, he’s biting the hand that feeds him. I long wished him silent. Now I’m desperate for the man to shut up.

• Then call CTV and complain and try to have him replaced as a broadcaster. He shouldn’t have a critical opinion of the Tiger Cats, that just hurts…………..lol

13. Just saying // March 5, 2018 at 8:15 pm //

14. Just saying // March 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm //

I can’t say hank is way off base here. I don’t really like the guy but I kinda see the cats the same as he does. Maybe Manziel as something to do with it.

15. This is not professional jounilism b Mickey mouse reporting who wants the story about himself Burris is talking out his ass again biggest cry baby CFL has ever seen TSN should emiatly fire this guy nothing that comes out of his mouth. Is relevant Burris is a joke he wasn’t even a great QB keep burning the bridge Hank u r such a jerk so is this reporter

• The guy was asked a question on a radio in review. What bridges should he be worried about. Hank is retired, with two two Cup rings. One MVP. What have you done?

• He is no different that the other guys on TSN. Hank is a broadcaster on CTV and has opinions on what is wrong with the CFL and teams.
      I think there are many out there that have the same opinion.
      boo hoo……….he upset Ticat fans, “suck it up”

16. wewert3 // March 5, 2018 at 8:53 pm //

Josh Smith has more to grind against Burris than Hank is on the Ticats. Smith is such a homer and thinned skinned that he sees things that aren’t even there. Pathetic for somebody who is supposed to be a reporter.

• Yes you are right on.
      Josh complains “Hank has said nothing positive about the Ticats”………lol what is there positive to say?

17. Blue rules // March 5, 2018 at 8:54 pm //

TC, do not disagree with most of what you say except your comment Burris wasn’t a great QB. His list of accolades are too many for me to State, I suggest you Wikipedia him! He was a great QB and will be HOF.

18. Blue rules I will give u that Burris had some good years grey cup in Ottawa some success in Calgary but the guy should shut up he didn’t do much in the Hammer he is not good on TV either

• Blue rules // March 5, 2018 at 10:47 pm //

TC, personally I’m not a fan of HB, big mouth and all, but would like to have had him in Blue in his prime, I don’t like Dunigan either but he did some special things in Wpg, everything except win a GC.

• Dunigan had poor coaching in Winnipeg or he would have won a Grey Cup easily – he had a season ending injury in ’92 or ’93 when his team was ahead by about 50 points and he never should have been in the game at that point.

• grow up! the guy too the RBs to 12 wins and a Grey Cup appearance, then a Grey Cup win and MOP at 40 years old.
      The story is about Hank’s negative comments about the Ticats – STICK TO THE STORY – it’s not about what you thougt about Hank as a player

• Blue rules // March 6, 2018 at 10:39 am //

@Jeff, your a little grouchy, seems like you haven’t had your morning coffee yet, l hope the rest of your day gets better.

19. George Fogarty // March 5, 2018 at 9:57 pm //

Sweet Jesus Smith give it up. We get it you don’t like Burris. Find something else to write about. Good thing Ant Man and the Wasp is coming out this year so you can do another great piece on comparing the characters in the movie to CFL players. I am sure you will find one for Hank. By the way weren’t you the same writer who a couple of Grey Cups ago tweeted that the CFL was a bush league. But here you are still writing about it. Nice.

20. Bleeding Green // March 5, 2018 at 11:28 pm //

Hank, you stank.

21. You guys clearly have a great library of images to chose from for these articles. BTW, on a mostly unrelated topic, has anyone noticed that the pictures of CFL players have been disappearing from Wikipedia?

22. NotJoshSmith // March 6, 2018 at 2:34 am //

The seasons change but what always stays the same is that Josh Smith is an idiot!

23. Vladimirovich Putin // March 6, 2018 at 5:32 am //

At least he’s not fixated on Johnny Manziel.

24. We complain that athletes are bland and boring – and then complain when one of them says something controversial.
    Besides, Mr. Burris is in the media now. This is his job to raise issues.
    We can agree or disagree with his opinion, but surely not challenge his right to say what he thinks.

25. Johnny Blumpkin // March 6, 2018 at 10:53 am //

Smith is a Ti-Cats fan (likely a fanboy) and this article clearly shows his bias.
    It’s a shame to see such whiny nonsense like this get posted on 3DN.
    Quick! Someone call the wambulance for the salty ginger!

26. No 3DownNation Try to keep up would you the original Burris story had tons of comments on Burris and his Axe to grind with Hamilton which has not try to hide Josh’s article the same I actually agreed with Burris with that said yes Burris went off on live Television at Halftime to berate the TSN panel that’s there job also his now,but Yes things in Hamitlton seem Dysfunctional,so in between making bird houses can you try a keep up.

27. Hank was a good player. His immaturity precluded him from being a great player, and contributed to his inconsistency. His legacy of a GC at age 40 was the direct result of him desperately wanting to get in the face of his naysayers. And it was that kind of motivation that would elevate his game. It was his emotional roller coaster that contributed to his “good hank, bad hank” tag. He needed a mentor, or analyst to keep him on track.
    The posts here that say he resembled “deer in the headlights” in the 2013 GC is fairly accurate. During the game, Austin’s disgust was palpable, and you knew he had played his last game for the Tabbies. However, he didn’t lose that GC game…the cats were over-matched, plain and simple, but it was Austin’s job to keep him focused, and that never happened.
    Bitter, or not, Hank’s ouster from steeltown was justified, and whether he realizes it or not, it was the best thing that happened in his career, because it motivated him to his greatest triumph.
    As a media guy now, he can say whatever he likes. Cut him some slack…and this comes from a guy who never like him, mostly because of his petulance.

28. sorry…didn’t proofread….should have used are instead of is…and left d of like.
    if you can’t figure out where…then you don’t know or care

29. Green is the Color // March 6, 2018 at 5:53 pm //

Hank is, has always been, immature. And for that reason I can’t listen to his analysis or insight. Hopefully we will not have to endure much more.

30. Blue rules // March 6, 2018 at 6:40 pm //

I noticed a lot of Rider’s fans have a distaste for Burris, is it his mouth, or a personal thing, or from HB’s time in Regina? Curious?

31. Enrico Della Penta // March 7, 2018 at 2:40 pm //

Way to generate comments Josh by always going to the same topic and writing about it. Ever since you started writing for 3Down one thing you can always count on is Smith writing an article about Hank. Guess it e3asy pickings for him. Time to let your hate for Henry go, its getting boring.

32. Back off Burris! with your fn racist comment “too many chiefs in the tent”. Don’t get me started with my personal opinions of you and your kind!

33. hamiltons coaching staff probably earn more than all the players

34. Personally wish Henry would just go away. Don’t care for his “insight” or his still overblown ego. There is a reason he is disliked in more than one city he played for.