Stampeders re-sign 2016 Most Outstanding Rookie, receiver DaVaris Daniels

Calgary has brought back dangerous receiver DaVaris Daniels.

The 25-year-old was the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie in 2016. He’s played in 24 career regular-season games for the Stampeders, recording 98 receptions for 1,628 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Daniels started 13 games and had 47 catches for 743 yards – nine catches 30 yards or more – and four touchdowns in 2017. He started both post-season games and had 11 catches for 113 yards.

“In his two years with us, DaVaris has shown the ability to be one of the CFL’s most dangerous and productive receivers,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel in a statement. “I look forward to watching him continue to improve his game and taking the next step in his career in 2018.”

Daniels joined the Stamps in 2016 after trying out with Minnesota, New England and Philadelphia in the NFL. His father Phillip had a 15-year playing career in the NFL and is currently a member of the coaching staff for the Super Bowl-champion Philadelphia Eagles.

“Calgary took me in and gave me a chance when I was facing uncertainty about my football career, so I owe it to them to come back,” said Daniels in a statement. “After watching my father’s team win a Super Bowl, I’m more determined than ever for us to take another run at the Grey Cup and to win a championship.”

7 Comments on Stampeders re-sign 2016 Most Outstanding Rookie, receiver DaVaris Daniels

1. White Horse // February 12, 2018 at 4:03 pm //

Awesome Huff…You also signed National Anthony Parker today so now hit up Tommy Campbell and Roy Finch.

2. Red&White Forever // February 12, 2018 at 4:43 pm //

The Stamps never rebuild, just reload.

3. Blue rules // February 12, 2018 at 4:53 pm //

Good deal Calgary with your signing, I was starting to wonder with the amount of players released by the Stamps.

• Bleeding Green // February 12, 2018 at 9:26 pm //

I was too! But then I remembered Stamps seem to know what they’re doing. Lol good sign. Going w youth. As long as they surround Bo w talent, the Stamps will be a contender every year. I hope for Bo’s sake he can win 2 or 3 more cups. Likely goes down as one of the best QBs in CFL history. Be a shame if he had that unwritten asterisk that said he couldn’t get over the championship hump. (Dan Marino)

• Bleeding Green // February 12, 2018 at 9:28 pm //

Sorry I know Bo has already won one! I just meant I think he should win 3 or 4 with his talent. Just thought I’d clear that up before I get shredded by Stamps fans. Lol

4. Edward Leslie // February 12, 2018 at 5:21 pm //

I like his attitude. Calgary gave him a chance after three NFL teams had cut him, so he feels that he owes them some gratitude and should stay, rather than obsess on getting another NFL opportunity. I hope James Wilder Jr. and Victor Butler (two NON-FREE AGENTS) are paying attention.

5. Kickoff is still about 5 months off and that’s when the GM demonstrates how well he did his (or her) job. Not a Stamps fan but hard not to like the way Huff puts his team together.