With free agency looming, Ticats re-sign receiver Luke Tasker

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have re-signed receiver Luke Tasker to a two-year contract.

The 27-year-old was set to become a free agent on Tuesday.

Tasker played in all 18 games last season, setting a franchise record for receptions with 104 while also registering 1,167 yards (sixth in the CFL) and seven touchdowns. The Buffalo, N.Y. native has spent five years with Hamilton, earning CFL East Division All-Star nods in 2014, 2015 and 2017.

The son of former Buffalo Bill Steve Tasker, Luke and his wife Jenna live in the Buffalo area inthe off-season and recently welcomed their first child.

Tasker was one of three key players the Ticats were hoping re-sign before free agency begins along with linebacker Larry Dean and defensive tackle Ted Laurent.

“Luke is a leader in our locker room and has developed into one of the best receivers in the Canadian Football League,” head coach June Jones said in a statement. “He’s got an outstanding skill set, and his unselfish play and toughness are exactly the kind of attributes that we want to personify in the football team. It was important to have him back and we’re thrilled to have him continue to call Hamilton home as the only franchise in his professional football career.”

The move gives the Ticats an excellent receiving corps heading into next season with Tasker, Jalen Saunders and the recently re-signed Brandon Banks having all notched 1,000-yard campaigns in 2017. Terrence Toliver should be close to 100 per cent after suffering a knee injury in the opening game last season and Canadian Shamawd Chambers registered 28 receptions for 279 yards in seven games after joining the Ticats via a trade with Edmonton.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1457 Articles)

30 Comments on With free agency looming, Ticats re-sign receiver Luke Tasker

1. Awesome news. Now, sign Dean…

2. Altogether now: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    2018: The Year of the Cats!

3. Excellent news!

4. Luke = LEGEND!
    Super pumped he’s back. Will be on the wall of honour by the time he’s donr. Great news. Ted and Larry now please KA!

• I have to agree with all of the above (except Tee of course) this news is AWESOME! Happy that Luke is staying in black and gold!

5. Do you think Dean gonna see his worth in free agency then allow the cats to make a competitive offer ?

6. Same with teddy

• Randy – Teddy did that last time and Dean may do the same. I hope both – especially Dean – remain in black and gold.

7. As I’ve said before, he’s the Darren Flutie/Ben Cahoon of his era. Big piece of the puzzle. Now get Dean signed, then go after a good SAM linebacker through Free Agency. Let Kanneh go back to playing halfback.

• Let’s not get carried away. I would say that Greg Ellingson is the Darren Flutie/Ben Cahoon of his era.
      But yes he is good and a good move by the Ticats

• I don’t understand the Darren Flute/Ben Cahoon comparison. What about SJ Green as the Darren Flutie/Ben Cahoon of his era?
        But I would call Brad Sinopoli the Ben Cahoon of his era, a 3 in a row 1,000 yard Canadian receiver just like Cahoon.

8. Beth Dalley // February 12, 2018 at 10:41 am //

Good news

9. Peter North // February 12, 2018 at 11:14 am //

Good to have Tasker back. I have a feeling Laurent is gone and I would guess Ottawa or Montreal will be his destination.

Dean is 50/50 to me. I didn’t realize that he was 29, thought he was younger. I could see Winnipeg looking at him.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

• North of 49 // February 12, 2018 at 3:08 pm //

Hamilton needed Tasker. If they didn’t resign him then explosive pass plays would have have been few.

• You are saying Banks does not make explosive plays?

Tasker is more clutch 2nd down receiver with a few explosive plays from what I recall.

Though with a bigger playbook with a full training camp – who does what may change.

10. Great news! Thank goodness Luke lives in Buffalo.

• I believe he has a house there with his girlfriend and commutes to Hamilton. As an American he’s closer to home than any of the Canadian players on the Ticats

11. Laurent is Montreal bound ….hometown guy who won’t mind going back…
    Jerome Messam to the black and gold now !

• Dundas dude // February 12, 2018 at 3:08 pm //

Laurent will free up some salary space. Alex Green is the running back…Messam would be good as a back up for $60k….but I don’t see this happening.

12. Where's Shultz? // February 12, 2018 at 1:14 pm //

Great news! Ti-Cats looking good on offense for next season. They have the smallest number of pending free agents and have already managed to sign back most of the important ones. Continuity is good for teams, clearly guys like playing in the Hammer.

Entire starting offensive line coming back. Masoli throwing to Banks, Tasker, Saunders, Tolliver, Chambers sounds pretty formidable to me.

Any news on Fantuz? If he doesn’t want to play he needs to be a recievers coach!

• Bleeding Green // February 12, 2018 at 9:40 pm //

I love Tuuuuz. Always been one of my fav players in this league. Recievers coach is a great idea if young guys are stealing his job. He might have a year left in him tho.

13. Awesome news! Didn’t think he would have made 1st string as NY Jet, but good bargaining strategy.

Tasker not huge, but runs great routes, tough, gritty receiver, and a all around humble guy, great for locker room.

Great signing, Austin, Tillman, whoever was responsible, now just sign and give Larry Dean his worth. Far as big Teddy Laurent? Good for the ratio.

But not at his salary demands, and sorry kinda of disappointed at his performance last year, though he missed 6 games.

So just sign Dean, an Ti-Cats will have the nucleus of the team that finished strong the last half ofhour last year.

14. Great news, especially for 2 years.

15. Great news re Tasker signing…we need Dean back here!!!! As far as Teddy goes I would only sign him to a big pay cut.

16. That is Great news for not only Tiger Cat football fans but the City of Hamilton.If you can”t Root for a Quality Guy like Luke, then I would question if you still have a pulse! So I know if I am at Tim Hortons Field I will be cheering loud and proud for Tasker.

17. Bleeding Green // February 12, 2018 at 9:37 pm //

Aahh Dammit. This guy is a beast!! Was hoping he’d hit the market. lol Great job Ticats.