Riders head coach Chris Jones says he’s “disappointed in Duron”

Saskatchewan Roughriders head coach Chris Jones publicly addressed Duron Carter’s latest transgressions for the first time on Friday.

“Certainly I’m disappointed in Duron. You would wish that he would be past this type of thing,” Jones said on The SportsCage on CKRM 620 in Regina. “I can’t say a whole lot about it because it is still a legal situation, so we’ll just wait and see how it plays out legally.”

Carter is facing two separate marijuana possessions charges, both stemming from incidents in Western Canadian airports. He was caught with more than 30 grams of marijuana at Winnipeg International Airport on Nov. 25, 2017.

Under the current Criminal Code for a first offence involving possession of 30 grams of marijuana could lead to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

And while personal marijuana use is slated to become legal in Canada this summer, possession of more than 30 grams will still be against the law.

Carter was also found with marijuana at the Saskatoon airport last week, though details on the amount have yet to be reported.

The Riders re-signed Carter on Jan. 22, inking him to a one-year deal for 2018 that included a $70,000 signing bonus and could see him earn up to $175,000 in 2018. The deal includes $144,000 in “hard money,” a $74,000 in base salary and $31,000 in playtime bonuses.

Carter will appear in Winnipeg court Feb. 15 and Saskatoon March 27.

77 Comments on Riders head coach Chris Jones says he’s “disappointed in Duron”

1. Billinburlington // February 9, 2018 at 6:36 pm //

I’m not a fan of Chris Jones but I have got to credit him for aptly describing this matter as disappointing. I like Carter’s skill and football abilities and most of the ways he gets media attention. But taking marijuana to an international airport and thinking he could get it past security. Really? What was he thinking? Depending on the facts of the matter he could be in some very serious legal trouble. Disappointing indeed. Jones could have also called it dumb, stupid, bad foresight, lack of foresight etc.

• Cal Gary Shampeders // February 9, 2018 at 8:18 pm //

100% correct.

Notice that Jones chose the word “disappointed” rather than “surprised.” Carter being an idiot is never surprising. In fact in some ways it is hard to be even disappointed by whatever he does for an encore. Like Cris ‘Have a Fall Guy’ Carter, he is a dimwit who got thrown out of university for practically being illiterate. As the great philosopher and college football star Forrest Gump once observed, “stupid is as stupid does.”

And I’ll bet the three of you who recently called Duron “smart” are feeling *really* stupid right now, aren’t ya?

• Two different things. He is smart, and well spoken, and good with kids and people in general. But he’s also unfocused at times, to the point where his meetings with Jones have been important to keeping him on track. People like that are also often absent minded, and forgetful. And he seems to have these issues cranked up to 9 or 10. It wouldn’t surprise me if his issue at the airport was that he simply forgot he hadn’t taken his pot out of his luggage, twice. He has issues. There’s no doubt about that, but I don’t think his issue is a lack of intelligence.

• It doesn’t matter if pot use becomes legal taking it across international borders is still illegal

• “Satisfaction is inversely proportional to expectation.”

2. Scottsask // February 9, 2018 at 6:41 pm //

You nailed it Bill, whether it’s legal or not, really, really dumb thing to do. Especially considering the amount he was supposedly carrying.

3. DC’s ignorance or willful violation of Canadian law is dumb no matter which way we try to cut it. Kudos to Jones for stating this straight out. He’s ‘disappointed and you would think he would be past this type of thing’. Jones has invested so much into Carter and hopefully it wasn’t a waste of time.

4. Footballnut // February 9, 2018 at 7:06 pm //

What an idiot ! Stupid too! Moron

5. BleedzGreen // February 9, 2018 at 7:06 pm //

Agree wholeheartedly Billinburlington. I’m certain CJ described it in other, more colourful terms as well.

6. With these charges,if found guilty can he still return to the US?

7. Nope – he needs to file for his ‘permit’ which needs to be ‘ok’ from Canadian authorities

It’s still up to US authorities to grant him permission

8. 3rd and 1 // February 9, 2018 at 7:56 pm //

He’s a U S Citizen. They can’t stop him from going home!

9. Convicted US Felons are ‘not’ free to go home without – custom/custodial permission

• Stage you act like you know what you’re talking about. Just because you have worked you’re way into Canada (thanks for this trash Trudeau) doesn’t mean you understand immigration laws.

• He is not convicted and this is not a felony!!!!!

10. Tinhead 296 // February 9, 2018 at 8:50 pm //

Don’t blame Jones for being disappointed. DC needs to get his head on straight. I would say with these two incidents in Winnipeg and Saskatoon
    he is at strike two and his butt I am sure is on thin ice by now.

11. Antlerman // February 9, 2018 at 8:57 pm //

Yeah the young guy made a mistake but its Pot not crack or crystal meth . There is a large percentage of Cfl player smoke so give him community service and a fine and be done with it

12. All the talent in the world but this young man makes poor choices and has represented himself in a negative fashion too many times both on and off field.

13. Antlerman – his actions were immature and stupid. Weed is still illegal plus having that quantity at the airport would still be criminal after July 1. This guy does not need anyone making excuses for his choices and actions.

• Big Gus i dont agree with his choices but pull you head out of the sand it everywhere and the only reasonn its a big deal is he sports personality go check in your kids or grandkids dresser drawer likely find that much

• He probably wouldn’t be happy if he found it in the kid’s or grandkid’s dresser drawer either but at least the dresser is not in the airport. It is a big deal because it is illegal now and will be illegal in a years time, both because of the amount and because he came across a border with it. Twice. It should not be swept under a rug just because he is a sports personality. That makes it news but doesn’t make it legal.

14. It’s fine to write what the “maximum sentence” for a transgression like this would be, but the odds of seeing jail for something like this are pretty minimal. What Carter and the Riders should be concerned about is how a conviction could affect Carter’s immigration status. If he’s found guilty, or even if the crown settles with him and he pleads guilty to a minor offense, it could affect his admissibility to the country and ability to work in Canada.

15. This is serious stuff. He could be deported.

16. #Cutthisfool Im so sick of his shyit. He has proven repeatedly he is too immature to be professional in the public eye. Bowman (yes he is older) is a great example of someone who does good in the community. Taking kids to movies doesn’t count.

17. Once things become LEGAL in Canada this summer I would suspect Ricky Williams to come out of retirement to put a team over the top in 2018. Hear he is into the weed business big time in the state of Colorado. A lot of possibilities to expand his business while playing in Canada. Duron can work for him as the Commish wants players to do in the off season.

18. Ambrose should make a strong statement in this matter.

• The justice system may make a stronger statement.
      Marijauna use may become legal but being caught with over 30 grams is illegal and he could be declared as a dealer.
      Likely one year in jail

19. One year in jail-then deported.

20. I can understand Chris Jones wanting to hold fire until he’s been to court. He’s paid him a 70000 advance (bonus) and it’s the right thing to do. I’d he pleads guilty I think he’s probably gone for good. No team will touch him due to his reputation. My guess is hell plead not guilty so he can stretch things out as long as possible trying to avoid criminal record. Maybe Jones will let him play but I doubt it. Too hard on the brand and to much of a distraction. Maybe the Riders can sue for breach of contract and get the 70 grand back. Sad.

21. Duel citizen Jim – I do know

In Business and personal attributes

I do good things on both sides of the North American border , pay lots and lots of taxes , I know immigration – taxes – sports , I have employees both sides

You are correct about Jihad Justin – don’t like him

22. Colour me green // February 10, 2018 at 11:24 am //

I too am disappointed. My sons as well.

23. Pennyrocker // February 10, 2018 at 11:40 am //

Duron has a serious problem which he is in complete denial. It is easy to spot look at his behavior, his comments about life, and his attitude towards respecting the laws. I hope he opens his eyes and finds the help he needs. I am a Rider fan and I say rip up his contact unless he seeks the help he needs. No more Bullshit.

24. In four months pot will be legal, but even if it’s not.a guilty plea now would net him around 100 to 200 dollar fine…big friken deal

25. Lol. Canadians getting worked up about weed? Jesus what’s next. Everyone relax. It’s f*cking weed so get off your high horses.

26. Consequences // February 10, 2018 at 1:18 pm //

It is a little more serious than “a little weed”. Duron was carrying an amount that will not become legal and wss caught both times at an airport bringing it in to Canada, again will not become legal. The maximum for the first offence is $1000 and a year in jail. The maximum for the second offence is $2000 and two years in jail. There is also the question as to whether he will be allowed to work in Canada. Also, what stance Ambrosie takes on it. If Duron is sitting in jail or kicked out of the country or kicked out of the league, he takes a $70,000 signing bonus with him. An intelligent man would have gotten out of the airport and bought his weed. He wouldn’t have been caught. No story. Chris Jones has continuously backed Carter and invested a fair amount of money in him as well. No doubt that he is more than disappointed. I would imagine furious would describe it better. This is about more than just a bit of weed.

27. I can’t understand what Duran did to all you people .All this terrible crimes he’s involved in and three stories about the same thing.Try looking up Tommie Cambell of the stamps,on google and then compare . And remember he is all signed up…..

28. Dave Bailey // February 10, 2018 at 3:15 pm //

My sympathy is with the Riders and CFL fans who will not be able to watch him play because of his blunders. The same impulsive traits that make him a great player also keep him in trouble. But I still wish him luck.

29. Perry Mason // February 10, 2018 at 4:27 pm //

I hate to tell you Weslee but Carter is as good as gone. That’s why Jones tried to land Adarious Bowman.

• Great.another famous lawyer, again I refer you to punch in Tommy campell on google. I think you will lose your case…and as far as Bowman, every receiver we have is better than that hump…

• Bleeding Green // February 13, 2018 at 5:29 pm //

Reading back on this story now I am inclined to agree w you. I googled buddy Tommie. Duron ain’t so bad. I just wish he’d grow up and stop w the cringe-worthy tweets. Lol but if he keeps up with those Beckham-esque catches in the end zone, then Im a fan. #DontcutthisfoolDuronpleaseforgivemeyoureonlykindofafool.

30. Boggles the mind that a foreigner would do something in this country that if he did in his would land him in jai and deported.

Disrespectful to the max

31. Pennyrocker // February 10, 2018 at 7:57 pm //

A great role model for kids to growing up admiring. Getting caught twice within a couple of months do you figure the judge will go light on him. How many times was Carter high in a game looking back probably a lot.

Was his ego so big that his thought was don’t you know who I think I am.

• Your children need not worry, It’ll be legal then…better talk to your Prime Minister about that…But remember , he’s the one that brags about smoking pot in his office…..

• Bleeding Green // February 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm //

Keeping in mind the prime minister of this country is an idiot. All matters of pot aside.

32. Antlerman- quit being naive . This isn’t about whether or not weed should be legal or if it is criminal. Man, you are not getting my message. Duron is a young man who continues to make bad choices and too often, he conducts himself in a manner detrimental to the image that this league requires of its players. This has nothing to do with my personal beliefs . I am way younger than what you think and many of my former teammates and some of the guys who I used to coach now claim they smoke marijuana because it helps with some of the chronic pain and nerve damage they sustained while playing ball, usually atbne university and college level. we can agree that marijuana can be beneficial in certain circumstances, but that does not excuse Duron from carrying a massive quantity at an airport. The later is simply idiotic and you have questionable judgment if you think that this does not reflect badly on Duron’s character . Man- I work with youth and with student athletes every day. Believe me, I know how accessible weed is. I also know the most productive and successful student athletes that I work with either do not use marijuana, or if they do, it is not a daily or regular habit.

33. Massive quantity??? I’m surprised he was able to buy such a small amount. You people know nothing about this case at all!!!

34. Perry Mason // February 10, 2018 at 10:55 pm //

weslee thinks he’s Carter’s lawyer.

35. Coming from someone with a handle Perry Mason….Hopeless

36. Pennyrocker // February 11, 2018 at 1:07 am //

OK Carter I mean weslee your lucky if the judge doesn’t give you jail time with 2 conviction for transportation over federal lines.

• See there you people go again, who says he wasn’t simply picking someone up or dropping someone off. But that doesn’t matter he only has to answer to SIMPLE POSSESSION.

• Consequences // February 11, 2018 at 5:36 pm //

Now you are just being ridiculous. The border cops don’t wander around the lobby and check out people that are waiting to pick some one up or drop some one off. You don’t encounter the border cops unless you are going through customs. Get it, border cops, customs, crossing the border.
        Depending on how the judge wants to deal with it, it is possession of 30 grams, crossing the border with it, part of the criminal code of Canada. Not necessarily simple possession. Twice in two months. Dumber than a bag of hammers.

• Again check out T0mmy Campbell on google. and don’t just run away….

37. GoBlueBruin // February 11, 2018 at 10:22 am //

Duran is an exciting player for an exciting team; but he has some “entitlement” issues it seems. Or maybe it’s an unfortunate case of “addiction” in the genes, his dad had substance abuse issues when he first began his NFL career. He went on to a HOF career after going straight…..hope Duran is able to do the same.

38. Provemewrong // February 11, 2018 at 10:50 pm //

Typical millennial, self entitled child that thinks the world revolves around him. (Typical for slider fans) The fact is he committed a crime. So slider nation is OK with this. Typical. There is a reason why Saskatchewan losses people every year. They leave to go to where people go too grow up.

39. I’m guessing that you have never jay-walked but don’t worry Perry Mason will save you….GO RIDERS GO

• sliders suck // February 12, 2018 at 10:30 am //

Look Weslee, if you don’t smarten up you will never find a proper husband. Nobody wants to marry an ignorant hag like you, please consider your future and change your personality ASAP!

40. Consequences // February 12, 2018 at 2:45 am //

You can’t seriously be comparing Jay walking to being caught bringing 30 grams of weed across the border. Jay walking isn’t in the criminal code. As for Tommy Campbell, no one is saying that Duron Carter should be more like Tommy Campbell. Far from it. Neither one should be the face of the CFL and neither one should be above the law. What Campbell has in past does not excuse Carter.

• Obviously you must be from Edmonton , so i’ll go slow with no big words….I’m pointing out how little the gov’t and the league take this seriously If Campbell can get away with all of that ,why should anyone in Carter’s camp worry….

41. Pennyrocker // February 12, 2018 at 9:39 pm //

Wow with an attitude it no big deal that football players get caught with possession of Marijuana. Not once but twice really sends a message to our kids. A great inspiration to the next generation to disrespect the laws of our country by a foreigner. Then flush the offenses under the carpet. Point fingers at others does not excuse anything.

42. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Duron Carter is dumber than a bag of rocks.

43. If he’s got decent legal counsel they’ll just run out the clock until it’s legal by postponing trial dates. Right now the Fed Dept of Justice are looking at options as to how to handle criminal records for prior convictions.

It’s a bit more complicated as it’s two different provinces and two separate charges.

I’m disappointed in this but not surprised as this is likely a drug that is not uncommon and a contingent of CFL players – likely those who say it calms then and helps with pain. I’m not agreeing with this – but I”m not a pot smoker so this is speculation.

The pot laws are ignored by all levels of society if anecdotal evidence is to be believed.

44. Bombs away // February 15, 2018 at 2:18 pm //

Greg, There is something between those ears of yours right? Be it today, September of whenever, 30 grams will always be a criminal code offence. How the court, league and club deal with it might be up for debate but the conviction, if found guilty, will stick to him like glue. Being caught with possession kind of removes the possibility of an acquittal.

45. Pennyrocker // February 15, 2018 at 9:00 pm //

It has come the first court appearance and not a word from the press on Duron. Wonder if just a quick sweep under the rug.

46. It’s not newsworthy, What do you ekpect!!!