Manziel returns to social media to hint a CFL comeback, troll Browns

Johnny Manziel is back… on social media, anyway.

The Heisman-winning quarterback took to Instagram early Sunday morning to hint at a Canadian-centric football comeback and to troll his former team, the Cleveland Browns. It was his first post since May of 2017.

The comeback post has already been liked by more than 50,000 people, including Canadian rapper Drake.

But his chirp of the Browns, the team that drafted him in the first round in 2014, has almost 100,000 likes already. It features a photo of Manziel as a Brown in his “Money Manziel” pose with the caption “0-16szn” referring to Cleveland’s recently-completed winless NFL season. Manziel made eight starts for the Browns posting a 2-6 mark with a 74.4 passer rating.

Manziel responded to some of the comments before shutting them off but they included a response with a Canadian flag hinting that his comeback will be in the CFL…

… and a gem from his time with the Browns.

The Ticats had until Jan. 7 to offer Manziel a contract in order to maintain his neg list rights, something Ticats vice-president of football operations Kent Austin said they’d be “foolish” not to do.

Manziel also showed up on Twitter Sunday morning to comment on the stir his Instagram posts had created.

Manziel had Tweeted just twice since last July before going back at Seifert.

Manziel’s re-appearance on social media might be the most significant sign yet that Johnny Football really is back – for better or worse.

36 Comments on Manziel returns to social media to hint a CFL comeback, troll Browns

1. He’s headed to the CFL, where he lands is the question? Still not sure if it’s Hamilton. He’s motivated and if he’s matured, should be fun to watch and I hope he does well. Great to see the league getting play everywhere.

2. Rider fan // January 7, 2018 at 10:19 am //

This will be interesting to see this play out. I originally thought that he would be great in the cfl but I have my reservations . It will take a special person to handle his personality. You need a qb to be a leader not a distraction. Maybe he has changed them Johnny Manziel has all the tools to be great.

3. Tiger Chick // January 7, 2018 at 10:27 am //

Still not feeling the love for Johnny Football. I see bad press. Don’t really care what he did 3 years ago, its what you can do now.

Get down to signing Tasker and other valuable FA’s.

4. Blue Rules // January 7, 2018 at 10:36 am //

I’m unsure if he has a contract yet, it’s still possible he will never get one that he would be happy with!! And somehow his dumdassery on his first tweet is loud and clear!!! Good luck to whichever team gets stuck with this childish moron!!!! His action will only give defenses fuel to shut him up!!!! As a “woman beater” and working in public, you would think he would be a little mouthy!!!

5. Saying it like it is // January 7, 2018 at 11:30 am //

I agree 110% with Carl’s last comment.
    whats happened in the past is the past. He has paid the price and has gone through everything that was asked of him. Everyone makes bad mistakes growing up. It’s not what you did in the past that matters now. The people that deal with those matters have done so. It’s how you mature and how you respond when given another chance.
    Coming on here and pointing fingers and acting like you’ve never done anything wrong or needed other chances makes people sound like huge hypocrites. Judging others when all you have is 3rd hand news is the sign of a very insecure person. Let the Judges Judge, coaches coach and the players play. As a fan sit back and let the process run its course. Then your place is to cheer like a fan. Be it with Yaaa’s or Booo’s… Who cares! But that’s your place and nothing more.

• @sayintit like it is. Well said buddy. Actually,perfectly said.

• Blue Rules // January 7, 2018 at 12:40 pm //

@saying, “the past is the past” maybe he can stay in your house with your wife or date your daughter, while you’re at work???. Of course that if you have a wife or daughter. BTW Johnny’s farther wanted him tossed in jail, that speaks volumes

• Would you allow any man to stay at your house? Get real child. Don’t ask dumb and obvious questions about other people’s daughters. His Dad wanted him to get his life under control. He was worried for a valid reason.
        He made noise today. Proud to be going to the CFL. He’s Cleveland’s winningest QB in the last 5 years. You’re make derogatory comments all the time against the Riders. He mentions his former employer record like you mention the Riders. But your a better person and are allowed to be like that but he is not. He felt hurt being let go. To me it was closure for him and can let go. You can’t. Hypocrite.
        Do you judge everyone who has made mistakes? What if that was your kid?
        Let’s see how this plays out first. I hope you’re wrong. I’ve seen first hand many people turn their lives around. I agree his actions and behavior was terrible. He owned it, took responsibility and has taken the right steps bestowed upon him.
        If people like you were in charge and no second chance at life, this world would be even more chaotic.

• Blue Rules // January 7, 2018 at 3:13 pm //

@ green Bla,Bla,Bla,if my son acted like that I would take matters into my own hands, and teach him some morality. Of course that should have began when he was young, as for you, it’s far too late! Your morals are messed up! Talent & money are more important doing the right thing. As for a second chance, after he excepts responsibility for his actions, NOT getting his lawyer to beat the charges!!!! I bet your parents are so proud of you!!! For your information I like the Riders, my negative comments are based on how stupid the organization is and the smaller % of fans that are idiots….Mr.Green

• Blue Rules // January 7, 2018 at 3:33 pm //

Long before you embarrass yourself further with a dumbass statement. Open your eyes, look what’s going on in the States (I’m aware it happens in Canada too) regarding woman abuse, have you not heard of #metoo, if you have money and fame you can get away with it!!!…Mr.Green

• MoneyTeam // January 7, 2018 at 6:29 pm //

LOL wow. You sir, are smrt. Let’s find more people like you in the world.

#moneyteam

• Blue Rules; Get off your soap box. Man of no second chances, living a perfect life, making no mistakes. You a friend of Horsie?

• Blue Rules // January 8, 2018 at 1:28 am //

Rick, simple answer, No, I dislike Stamps!! as I stated already I like the Riders, I dislike morons. More important I HATE (woman) abusers…… second chances you say? How does his EX girlfriend start her second chance… always afraid to speak up??…# metoo.. Have you experienced the fallout from abuse?? Not likely, or you would have a different tone. Grow up! Football is a game/entertainment, assault is very real!!

• Tiger man // January 11, 2018 at 9:02 am //

All of this is easy enough to say when it’s not your money and job on the line.

Yes, others have done some things wrong, not to the extent that Manziel has.

As a Tiger cat fan, I want players who can produce points not problems.

The last time Johnny accomplished anything was in college. The unemployment lines are filled with ex-players who have similar stories.

6. At this point I would rather see him traded to Montreal for a handful of draft pics. Not loving the bashing Cleveland is taking. Is this his likely response when things don’t go well??Hopefully if he lands in the hammer he has matured professionally and will handle the rough spots…..but I don’t think we can count on it.

7. This is a great opportunity for Manziel and the CFL. He was on a very bad team.
    A lot of messages and talk on other sites from Americans as to where they can watch the CFL. The league needs to market the league even more during this time to gain and keep fans. Hopefully the games are very exiting. With the ESPN deal winding down play the NFL Network against them. NFL Network gets boring in the off-season. I have it. With the schedule moved up more aired games. Basically all games will need to be played Friday and Saturday in the fall until the playoffs. Be nice to get that salary cap way up after the next season when the cba is due.
    We all know if Manziel is good enough to start and ends up playing vs Toronto it likely will sell out.

As fans we want to see a strong league and our players make decent coin. Our brand is better and our commissioner better.
    We don’t need their approval, just show them this is a first class league, competitive and great football.
    Currently Manziel seems to have turned his life around. I’m Happy for him and am cheering for his success. I think it will take time, obviously to get adjusted and get back into football, especially a whole different type of football. 12th man, etc.
    Looking forward to see this all play out. Keep that social media going Johnny boy, free advertising for the CFL.

• Waiting For Gaudaur // January 7, 2018 at 1:12 pm //

Stay on ESPN, every game is available online. With NFL Network there will be alot less games available.

8. Footballnut // January 7, 2018 at 12:26 pm //

Great news for cfl

9. Time will tell // January 7, 2018 at 12:40 pm //

I don’t think he has matured or he wouldn’t be taking shots at the Brown’s 0 and 16 season.

10. This is a disaster with a capital D all ready to play out in Hamilton.

11. habbernack // January 7, 2018 at 1:02 pm //

Blaming everything on Cleveland for his situation shows me that he hasn’t taken responsibility for his part. He’s got to take ownership too.

• MoneyTeam // January 7, 2018 at 6:34 pm //

Pretty sure there’s literally nothing that says he blamed “everything” on Cleveland. Like, nowhere. Not once. Not a single reference to anything close to that.

12. I Think the Reason Manziel was tweeting and trolling the brown”s is he is going to sign with is friend and the new Coach of the Raiders.Gruden tried to talk the Raiders into drafting Manziel instead of Carr and worked with Johnny Football pre-draft and I believe a little after the draft as a personal QB Coach.Most high round draft picks receive second chances and Manziel has stayed out of trouble for the last year.What a surprise the CFL and Randy Ambrosie screwed the Cats with their PR stunt look at us doing our due diligence.That delay might have just of opened a better door for Manziel.What a Bunch of bull crap just look at some of Jim Popp”s and Chris Jone”s signings over the last few years and just look around the league not exactly filled with all choir boys!

13. Our family always pulled for Manziel since his incredible college days. He just wasn’t an impressive college player he was superlative. Passing, running, scrambling – did it all. Got drafted by the completely dysfunctional Browns. Manziel did act like an idiot at times but being disrespected by the morons that were then running the Browns did not help. Of course the Browns dysfunction continued this season with new morons leading them to a 0-16 season.

14. Lindsay Wilcox // January 7, 2018 at 5:41 pm //

Ticats vs. Argos would sell out, Manziel or not.

15. I see Drake is supporting Johnny. Now there’s an endorsement for you. Sarcasm intended.

16. Great comment by Speedy B. Maybe Johnny can hook up with the Riders. He and Carter deserve each other.

• 5 more weeks and Carter will not be a rider he has not signed and most likely won’t.he had an amazing season in 2017 and well I’m sure is looking for a pay increase. But trading for colaros and trying to renegotiate his stupid salary that Austin gave him will no doubt still eat up some of the cap.

17. Hope Manziel ends up in Montreal. They need all the help at QB they can get and overall it would help the CFL more him being in that market vs Hamilton.

• Dundas dude // January 8, 2018 at 1:33 pm //

I hope the Canadiens move to Hamilton. Southern Ontario is a much bigger market and maybe better fan/financial support can help turn this franchise around.

18. Peter North // January 9, 2018 at 1:28 pm //

I miss St-Hubert. I wish that restaurant chain would come back to the GTA.