Former Als Assistant GM Abrams: There was friction with Kavis and I

It’s been almost 14 months since former long time Montreal Alouettes assistant general manager Joey Abrams left the team. He finally took the opportunity to clear the air about his departure, as well as comment on other Alouettes personnel decisions in a radio interview on TSN 690 Montreal.

Abrams spent 12 years with the Alouettes and worked incredibly close with former GM Jim Popp. The two remain very close to this day. Currently, Abrams is living in the Ottawa region and working in real estate, content to spend more time with his family. But the Northern Ontario native hasn’t closed the door permanently on working in the CFL.

On not being able to co-exist with then-new GM Kavis Reed:

I guess you could say it was mutual. At the end of the day, Kavis told me that it probably wouldn’t work with me there. At the time I wasn’t necessarily sad about it. After 12 years it was time for me to move on. In the one-to-two-weeks that we were there together, I saw that the pages weren’t going to align….there was just going to be some friction there.

Whether or not working with Jim Popp in Toronto was explored:

Jim Popp is one of my best friends in life….We talked a lot. We spoke briefly about the potential of me going down there or working from abroad…I wasn’t ready…I didn’t think my heart was going to be in it like it needed to be at that point in time.

On his relationship with ownership and on not seriously being considered for the GM position:

Let me preface it by saying that I’m not sure that you can ask for a better owner of a professional sports franchise than Bob Wetenhall…But I thought that after 12 years in an organization that it’d be nice to at least be recognized by speaking with ownership to see what the plans were. That never came to fruition. Whether that was Andrew Wetenhall or Bob Wetenhall, I don’t know…It was disheartening.

On the last time he spoke to Andrew Wetenhall:

The last time I spoke with Andrew was at Kavis’s (introductory GM) press conference. He said that he was happy that I was there. The sentiment from Andrew and Kavis was that they were going to help me become the next general manager of the CFL, whether it was with the Alouettes or another team. I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus here, but I thought that kind of was lip service. It didn’t seem genuine at all to me…It felt weird. That was last time I was in touch with him.

On his successor as assistant GM, Catherine Raiche, and her leaving after only one year on the job, reportedly because she was not involved in the head coaching interview process:

I hired Catherine, although the GM had final stamp on who was hired…There’s such a thing as growing up too fast, and Kavis didn’t help out the situation by promoting her to such a position after only a year in football. I like Catherine. She’s a hard worker, she’s super smart. But she’s very inexperienced in the world of football, which is why they hired her and Joe Mack to run two different sides of the business. I don’t know anyone in football that has been there a year, and I don’t know if she thought this, that would think they’d be able to sit inside head coaching interviews. I’d never sat in any head coaching interviews during my time with the Alouettes.

On whether the Alouettes should trade for the rights to Johnny Manziel:

That (QB) position is the most important position in sports you have to look for more than what’s on tape. That character has to be beyond reproach. Johnny Manziel is anything but that. He might have turned over a new leaf, he might be a new guy, and if he is that’s great. But if I’m the general manager there’s no way that guy is suiting up for my team. He’s not coming in my locker room…There’s too much that can go wrong.

Matthew Ross

Matthew Ross

Matthew Ross is a radio host on TSN 690 Montreal and has contributed to the Montreal Gazette, MLB.com and AskMen.com. He's a native Montrealer and misses watching Anthony Calvillo just like everyone else.
Matthew Ross
Matthew Ross
About Matthew Ross (18 Articles)

40 Comments on Former Als Assistant GM Abrams: There was friction with Kavis and I

1. When isn’t there friction when Kavis Reed is around. Kavis is a friction specalist.

• HabsFan93 // January 7, 2018 at 12:51 am //

Sounds like he is bitter, courtesy interview. Heard ownership wasn’t big on Abrahams staying and didn’t have to do with Reed. They saw him as loyal to Popp and complicit in the status quo way the team was run over the previous few years.

• What does worked incredibly closely with Jim Popp mean? No other team will touch this guy-loyalty to another GM and team will be a huge problem.

• This only clarifies what I already thought I knew. Als under Kavis Reed are a mess. I can only hope that the new coaches can win despite Reed. Kavis Reed should be driving a portable toilet pumping truck. Picture him in his overalls, rubber boots and a brush. works for me

• blackgold56 // January 7, 2018 at 6:05 pm //

Lol, another Reed hater. Clearly you didn’t listen to the interview, the title of this is usual 3 Down clipbate. He worked with Reed for a “week or two” (in his new role), it is my understanding it was actually less than a week. I hope that someone who doesn’t know you but thinks they don’t like you wishes more for you and your family then to drive and work a portable toilet truck. I for one wouldn’t wish that on anyone I know and who has done something wrong to my own family. This vitriol isn’t healthy.

• Portapot drivers make a very nice living. You make it sound as if those that do that for a living should be ashamed or something. Any honest work is not shameful.

• blackgold56 // January 7, 2018 at 6:41 pm //

Of course honest work is not shameful, I sincerely do not wish for anyone I know to have to work with human waste, ranks up there with America’s worst jobs. Your wish for that to happen to anyone is frankly childish and unbecoming.

• Dick Filet // January 8, 2018 at 1:52 pm //

I’m assuming your looking for a new co worker?

• Yes indeed, it`s not for everybody, starting wage right now is 27.85 an hour with my company, just something in Reed that says to me, this might be just right up his alley

2. Sounds like a very smart guy. Bet he ends with the Argos in 2-3 years

• Popp can hire whoever he wants, he went with Spencer Zimmerman. That tells you all you need to know.

• Jerry Richardson // January 7, 2018 at 3:53 pm //

Absolute IS a smart guy. This sold me:
      “That (QB) position is the most important position in sports you have to look for more than what’s on tape. That character has to be beyond reproach. Johnny Manziel is anything but that. He might have turned over a new leaf, he might be a new guy, and if he is that’s great. But if I’m the general manager there’s no way that guy is suiting up for my team. He’s not coming in my locker room… There’s too much that can go wrong.”

Only a desperate GM that knows he’s going to get fired at the end of the season would take a flyer on Johnny Headcase.

• Jerry get off the crack! That is where Abrahms lost all credibility. Where else but Montreal would anyone care what an unemployed ex assistant think anyway….

I had a conversation with someone who saw Manziel workout recently and thinks he would be “the best player to EVER play in the league”. This 30 year plus football guru I would trust over a man who’s only experience in football was under Popp.

BTW, JP it wasn’t JA that threw you under the bus it was his replacement.

3. Bring back our Als // January 6, 2018 at 7:03 pm //

Too bad he wasn’t interviewed for the GM job,
    Rookie GM and Rookie president with no real football experience equals first picks for the the next 3 years
    Rookie GM hires rookie assistant what could go wrong? Abrahms and Weightman together would have been good

• HabsFan93 // January 7, 2018 at 12:56 am //

He wasn’t ready. Proof in the Manziel comment. Soooo good at his job that he and Mr. Popp had zero QBs being developed with 5 years plus to develop one while AC played. I am sure an interview like this will have teams lined up to have come work for them…NOT!!

4. What the hell has Matthew Ross been smoking? Manziel that guy is not suiting up for my Team, pardon me Kyries Hebert pleaded guilty to two misdemeanours in connection to a domestic dispute.He was also arrested but not charged for allegedly holding his Wife”s head under water and threatening to kill her!Ross and His so-called best friend brought Hebert to his team in Montreal.Mister Ross you are a Hypocrite and a Loser.

5. Bring back our Als // January 6, 2018 at 8:16 pm //

Mathew Ross is the reporter and Abrahams assistant GM without the final say on personal. Just his opinion. Also a QB is is the most important player on the field.
    I do hope Hamilton trades Mansiel’s rights to the Als at least there will be some excitement next year in MTL good radio interview

• Manziel in Montreal is a great idea—for the CFL-for the Als- and for the Cats

• Trent Richardson // January 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm //

Kavis Reed and Johnny Headcase is a perfect match. Montreal will be far better because of it. A three win Montreal will finish last in the Leastern Conference (but only just barely!), and Reed will be fired at the end of the season. Manziel will be long gone by then. And then the real rebuilding can begin under a legit GM and a legit QB.

Any of you who think this guy can play professional football at a high level are absolutely delusional. But you’ll learn.

• Yes, come back at the end of next season, I hope Manziel plays in Hamilton but if he is in Montreal he will light it up. Start the car boys and take it to the bank. Jerry er ahhh Trent whatever you want to call yourself.

• BleedsGreen // January 8, 2018 at 1:28 am //

There is s reason Dr’s can lose their medical license if they offer public diagnosis for a patient they have never had a consultation with. For a guy who has never met Johnny Manziel, Joey Abrams seems to consider himself an expert. The good news for Johnny Manziel he won’t have to worry about the would be Abrahms having him on HIS TEAM and as HIS QB because he will never be a GM. A guy who is unemployed in the CFL would probably be best served by silence. I can’t wait to see Johnny Football play in this league even if it is in Hamilton.

6. Green Pastures // January 6, 2018 at 8:19 pm //

Probably going to Calgary. Need to replace nickle back soon.

7. Not smart enough.

8. My bad got a little ahead of myself yes Abrams and not Ross is a Hypocrite and loser you can”t have your cake and eat it, One way or the other Pal.

• What have you been smoking hahahahaha

• Agree with you, Abrahms is a hypocrite and was fired because ownership didn’t want him. How does this clowns opinion even matter, does 3 DownNation have something against Reed what a hack job.

9. Interesting that he would throw Raiche under the bus. She “wasn’t around football long enough”, code for she’s a woman who doesn’t belong to the old boys club?

• I have to agree with Philip. Abrahms tone changed when responding to the question about Catherine. Immediately stating that she was “entitled” with the underlying tone that she is overly ambitious.

10. Victor Reed // January 7, 2018 at 8:09 am //

How is “I hired Catherine, she’s a hard worker and super smart” Throwing someone under the bus? Did you listen to the interview or just reading this site comment section ?

11. Did both. Super smart and hired her as a coordinator clearly not to develop to take over his role. For what it is worth, “not enough time in football” came across as a bitter statement. Don’t be suprised if she is the one that is incredibly close with Popp and ends up working in Toronto. Let’s see where Abrams ends up with all of his old boy club relationships.

12. Tom calder // January 7, 2018 at 1:41 pm //

Kinda sounds like sour grapes to me. Joey, you had a good run, 12 years with the same organization. A new administration came in and wanted their own people. That’s how it is. Stop the whining, be professional and move on !

13. Tom calder // January 7, 2018 at 3:27 pm //

This story is not worthy of 3D Nation. It’s more befitting of “entertainment tonight”. Not your finest hour Mr. Ross.

14. Kavis causes consequences.