Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea – a CFL Hall of Fame linebacker – will be more involved in the team’s defence going forward.

“I’m excited to take a more active role with our defence,” O’Shea said in a statement released Friday that also outlined some changes to the defensive staff.

The big takeaway, however: Richie Hall remains in his role as defensive coordinator.

Winnipeg announced that Jordan Younger, a former teammate of O’Shea’s in Toronto, has joined the club as defensive backs coach. He is a CFL all-star and two-time Grey Cup Champion as a player.

Younger most recently spent two seasons (2015 and 2016) in the same role with the Argos.

“Jordan is a bright young football coach whom I know personally and have confidence in his abilities to teach, relate well to players, get his message and coaching points across,” said O’Shea. “He has a wealth of CFL experience as a player, playing at a high level and winning championships, and I’m excited to bring him into the fold on our staff.”

Glen Young moves to coaching the front seven on defence, the linebackers and defensive line. He spent the last two seasons as the Bombers’ linebackers coach.

Winnipeg did not renew the contracts of defensive line coach Todd Howard, and defensive backs coach Tony Missick.

17 Comments on Richie Hall remains Bombers DC, Mike O’Shea to take ‘more active’ role in defence

1. Scottsask // January 5, 2018 at 10:49 am //

So Richie has essentially been gelded? Hope he makes it to Labour day.

2. Missick and Howard are the fall guys. What a B.S. move. What a nice gift to all the offensive coordinators in the league. The spirit of Christmas lives on!

3. New realignment of the defensive coaches might work. Sometimes the tweaking is better than a major overhaul. Time will tell.

4. Wow- Bombers Management don’t want to get the fans actually excited that the BB may actually win a Cup (last seen in 1990). I pity the players with such clueless management. Another promising year that will surely disappoint!

5. Fan in the stands // January 5, 2018 at 12:02 pm //

Basically, the Bombers cant afford to let Ritchie Hall walk, pay him for a year, and bring in a new DC. Doubt O Shae will take a bump in pay. LB coach doing more.., sounds about right. We Bomber fans are doomed for another season.

6. Bleeding Green // January 5, 2018 at 12:05 pm //

Cant say I miss the Richie Hall years. Maybe O’Shea will bring something new to the table though. He was a hell of a defender.

7. There’s also the possibility that when Hall’s contract is up it won’t be renewed and O’Shea will move Younger into the position.

8. Green Pastures // January 5, 2018 at 12:29 pm //

Mike should bring an aggressive approach back to their defence

9. Great news for the rest of the league!

10. Ritchie hall is a good defensive coach. The players have to play and didn’t towards the end of the year. It’s easy to blame the coach.

• Geroy Burris // January 5, 2018 at 7:36 pm //

It’s easy to blame the players and say that they didn’t play towards the end of the season (in spite of giving up the most yards over the entire season). Name even one player who didn’t play?

Assuming you name a player, then why was *he* still on the field instead of being benched by Hall?

Nope, I saw no letup for a team that thought it could make it to the Grey Cup. Hall was outcoached by other team’s offensive coordinators all season long. He’s lucky to still be employed and O’Shea just brought in his eventual replacement.

11. I think the changes are about right. The D line was consistent all season and even stellar at times. The linebacking and in particular the SAM position that made me want to “Hurl”. (Sorry, couldn’t resist 😉 ) It’s certainly not the only position that needs to be overhauled. I’m really not sure what they had seen in him. Winnipeg needs to dig deep and sign a stud to fill that spot. (For those here old enough to remember, ax Greg Battle clone would do. Not that long ago really.) The other problem is the inability to stop the deep pass. I’m certainly no coach but I would love to see some aggressive, physical players not scared to jump up to make a play on the ball a the high point, at least once in a while. ( again a name from the past comes to mind, Rod Hill.)

Back on topic…
    The move does make “some” sense. They need fresh eyes at DB/LB and O’Shea will (of course) have more say with the D and I think he wants to divert some of the heat Hall gets over the season. Not sure about that last one but I sure hope they can straighten out these issues.

12. Why did Jordan Younger leave the Argos?

Money or was it them dumping him?

• I ‘m going to speculate on my own questions.

Having just looked at the long list of Argo vs Bomber Coaches and who the DC is for Argos – Chamblin, I can see why Younger would love to move on.

13. BleedzGreen // January 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm //

Shades of green and white in 2014… Richie was technically our DC but Chamblin called the shots.

Doubt this will end well for Richie.

14. Hall has been one of the best DCs in the league for a very long time. I would be very hesitant to get rid of him if I was making the decision. If the problem was personnel rather than coaching then getting rid of Hall would be a big step back, and from what I could see I would say that was the case, but I didn’t follow Winnipeg all that closely this year.