New Argos QB James Franklin willing to be patient if Ricky Ray returns

New Toronto Argonauts quarterback James Franklin is willing to be patient if he has to be.

Veteran Ricky Ray has yet to make a decision on his future but that didn’t impact Franklin’s decision to sign on the dotted line in Toronto.

“I know Ricky has a good resume, he’s earned where he’s at and, if he comes back, he’s earned the right to be the starter. I’m still being patient and I feel like this is a great opportunity,” Franklin told the media on Friday.

The 26-year-old waited for three seasons behind Mike Reilly in Edmonton for a starting job.

“Hopefully, in time I will get that opportunity and I will still have to earn it,” Franklin said. “[Reilly] said don’t expect me to go easy if you’re playing and I get to play against you.”

After Franklin’s rights were traded to the Argos in December, he spoke to head coach Marc Trestman three times and those conversations helped convince the rising pivot to join the Double Blue.

There was some NFL interest, but it never came to fruition for Franklin.

“They didn’t offer me a contract and that was something I could’ve kept pursuing, but I didn’t see anything realistically happening,” he said. “And I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have to waste another year.”

21 Comments on New Argos QB James Franklin willing to be patient if Ricky Ray returns

1. What a great attitude. Up and comers in the CFL should look at his example and not waste time taking shots at the NFL when they have a great opportunity to play.

• Geroy Burris // January 5, 2018 at 7:23 pm //

“And I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have to waste another year.”

And so he signs with a team that has future hall of famer at QB who just won a Grey Cup and hasn’t announced his retirement???

2. Cody Fajardo should be given opportunity to be the starter. I would name Cody the undisputed starter pre training camp if Ray Retires, if not Cody would be the undisputed #2. Other teams have seen enough of Cody to know he is special, if he is not given the chance in Toronto, am sure other smarter CFL teams would snap him up.

• Fajardo will be a free agent in 5 weeks. He can pick his own destination before minicamp begins provided that team is interested in him.

• ivan Diablo // January 5, 2018 at 3:04 pm //

and cody is a good runner too
      cody and franklin would be a great combo to go into camp
      time for ricky ray to retire and become argos qb coach

i still think the argos should go go after cdn free running back agent jerome messam
      he would very good in the argos backfield and really help young wilder as well as young argos qbs [assuming ray retires] in not having to throw that often

• Time for Ray to retire?!? He just won the Grey Cup and had one of his best seasons ever.

• ivan Diablo // January 5, 2018 at 6:02 pm //

didn’t burris retire after winning a grey cup ?

ray is almost the same age

ray almost retired last year

always to go out on top

• Cody Fajardo reminds me of Joe Barnes.

• *blinks*

Cody Fajardo should be given the chance to be the starter?

You did see him play last year when he came in relief for Jeff Matthews after Ricky Ray got hurt? He was terrible. His stats were buoyed by the passes completed were behind the line of scrimmage. Most of the time he threw past the line of scrimmage, he was a train wreck.

Cody Fajardo is best suited for the role he currently has with the Argos: falling forward on third-and-one.

3. grumblingaboutgreen // January 5, 2018 at 2:45 pm //

such a CHANGE of HEART for franklin! you might REMEMBER just a few short WEEKS ago franklin REFUSING to stay if he wasnt COMPETING for the STARTERS job. but NOW hes happy to play SECOND FIDDLE to RAY? those who READ between the LINES can see the REAL story. KNOWING that chris jones was so EXCITED to get franklin in green and white this qb made a SMART move to avoid having his career STRANGLED by joness EGO!

as a BACKUP in edmonton he was inherently EXPENDABLE because of reillys WARRIOR toughness and relative YOUTH. but in TORONTO franklin is the next man up behind RAY who has had INJURY trouble in recent years and in ANY case has most of his career BEHIND him. so while EDMONTON would happily BARTER him away to joness regime for the right PRICE he is much SAFER from such a MISFORTUNE in toronto! franklin isnt DUMB and clearly UNDERSTANDS the risk he would have taken STAYING in edmonton. maybe he wasnt being entirely HONEST about his reason for wanting OUT but he expertly MANIPULATED the situation to his ADVANTAGE!

• George Porge // January 5, 2018 at 3:40 pm //

You know, you might actually have some good points in your comments, but they are damn near impossible to read with all the upper/lower caps nonsense you use.

I don’t put much stock into the whole “Chris Jones / James Franklin” dynamic. Franklin was traded before becoming an FA specifically because the Eskimos didn’t want to have to face him as a starter in the West division. In that sense, it really had nothing to do with the Riders (who may have just got themselves an even better QB now with Collaros – time will tell on that one).

You are right, though, that Franklin has more chance as a starter in Toronto than anywhere else, and Toronto is looking sharp heading into the new year. Hopefully this will be the start of an East Division revival so that we can stop talking about what a bloody trainwreck the East is every year.

• grumblingaboutrandomcapitalization // January 5, 2018 at 10:35 pm //

Random capitalization is a sign of random, wandering thinking.
      I can’t take anything you say seriously.

4. @grumblingaboutgreen, your spewing hate with no truth. In fact you look bad. Jo es never made an offer for Franklin. 4 other teams did. Jones actually inquired about Collaros this past fall. And did he Strangle young Brandon Bridge. He was the only GM last year to sign him and develop him. Bridge made strides and resigned. He could have left next month.

5. Bottom line is no matter what anyone has stated about the QB situation in Argo land they are sitting in a very good place QB wise no matter what Ray or Fajardo end up doing. My guess is if Ray retires Fajardo comes back as the #2. If Ray comes back Fajardo looks for greener pastures. Who want to be a #3 and basically a decoy for practice during the week.

• ivan Diablo // January 6, 2018 at 12:13 am //

i think popp has info that ray is actually going to retire and therefore fajardo and franklin can then tryout for #1
      a platoon system as with barnes/holloway would work very well

6. Fajardo is not No. 2 on the Argo depth chart even if Ricky Ray retires. He was No. 3 last season, behind Ray and Mcleod Bethel-Thompson. If Ricky Ray returns to the Argos, I doubt they even sign Fajardo. If Ray retires, I’d say it’s 50/50 at best that Fajardo returns — but if he does, it will NOT be as the starter or even serious competition for the starting job. He’s a good runner and a competitive guy, but he’s not at all suited to Trestman’s offence.

• ivan Diablo // January 6, 2018 at 11:00 am //

i like the fajardo for his play , his holding for FG [i like a QB who holds the the ball u never know what if …] and he seems to br a real team player – i saw a vid of him talking to ray after the argos won the gc in the argos dressing room – didn’t see bethel-thompson – what number did he wear ?

• While I agree that Fajardo was #3, when Ray was hurt I recall Mathews taking over. Maybe after Mathews flamed out Bethel-Thompson came into the #2?

• I’d be shocked if Mathews makes it to Argo training camp this season.
        Fajardo will be a free agent in Feb and may find employment elsewhere.
        My sense is the Argo braintrust see a bright future for Bethel-Thompson as a compliment for Franklin.