CFL deadline for Johnny Manziel process extended into January

Johnny Football is still going through the CFL’s process in hopes of playing in the league next season.

“He still has a few more hurdles to jump here in December,” vice president of football operations Kent Austin told a Hamilton radio station. “When the process is complete and the report is given to the commissioner, then I’m sure the commissioner will reach back out to us and let us know where things stand.

“The deadline has been extended into January and we’ll just wait and see what the outcome is.”

Manziel was charged with assault of former girlfriend Colleen Crowley. He reached a dismissal agreement that required him to complete an anger management class, attend a domestic violence impact panel and participate in a substance-abuse program. His two-year-old case for assault has been dismissed.

That could’ve been one of the requirements laid out by commissioner Randy Ambrosie in order to have Manziel’s contract registered. Erik Burkhardt, who represents Manziel, and the Ticats have been in contact.

“I know that Kent [Austin] has some good conversations with the agent. It’s more in their hands than our hands. I don’t know whether he will be or whether he won’t but we’ve had quite a few discussions about just that. So we’ll see what happens,” head coach June Jones said in a conference call announcing his contract extension with the club.

The 24-year-old has been on the Ticats neg list since his days at Texas A&M, where he became the first freshman to capture the Heisman Trophy. The Cleveland Browns selected him in the first round, No. 22 overall, in the 2014 NFL draft and he spent two seasons with the club, posting a 2-6 record as a starter before being released March 11, 2016. Jones believes he can plug him into his offensive system “very easily”.

“I worked him out twice and his arm strength is much better than I thought it was. I really think if he makes a commitment to come up here for three or four years he’ll write is own ticket if he wants to go down and play in the NFL,” the 64-year-old said.

34 Comments on CFL deadline for Johnny Manziel process extended into January

1. If the Cats sign Manziel,I could easily see Mazzoli signing elsewhere

2. Eddiefelson // December 4, 2017 at 5:50 pm //

So does this mean we have until january to renew our season tickets?

Only seems fair.

I will call to conform tomorrow

3. june knows what he is talking about. Warren Moon then. I dont think June inflates things.

• No kidding. June, June, June, Moon is a hall of famer in BOTH leagues. Manziel has a long, long, loooooong way to go to get even close to Moon. You’re throwing Moon’s name around far too easily.

4. Lancaster/Reed // December 4, 2017 at 6:13 pm //

OMG. make a decision already!

5. Renewing season tickets based on a possible player signing down the road does not sound like a dedicated fan to me in my book. Hope Manziel gets things taken care of and lands in the CFL somewhere. If he keeps his head on straight he should be a natural for any team that signs him.

6. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 4, 2017 at 6:59 pm //

The league wants to keep Manziel out of the CFL, hence these seemingly draconian measures. Head office knows Chris Jones will stop at nothing to get this guy and this is the only way they can stop it.
    If this isn’t true why else would Jones have an illicit meeting with Manziel’s camp this past off season?

• Blah blah blah blah blah

• rider fan // December 5, 2017 at 2:39 pm //

did we read the same article. Hamilton has the right to him not Sask and you wonder why people are rude to you

• dangnabbit // December 5, 2017 at 10:10 pm //

It’s pretty clear Jones wants him though. He’s known to be in touch with Manziel’s camp, as he took a tampering fine in April. So it seems reasonable to suppose that they’re the team Manziel envisions playing for. However, he has to sit a year from the date the contract is offered if he declines to play with Hamilton.

Hamilton wants to delay offering a contract until they can determine whether he’ll be allowed to play (the league commissioner can blacklist him, or he could be found inadmissible to enter Canada) as well as what their own QB picture looks like moving forward. This extension plays in their favour.

The league probably would prefer him kept out. The Art Briles thing made them look bad last year which they don’t want to repeat, and they know Manziel just wants to use the CFL as a stepping stone. On the other hand, they do crave American media attention and they are probably worried about an antitrust lawsuit if they blacklist him outright. So for now they walk the tightrope.

• Dustinjunk // December 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm //

Hey donkey..I missed the last 2 minutes of the Grey Cup game. Who ended up winning?

7. I would be doing things a little different than the commissioner. I would have a meeting with Mr. Manziel, lay out the rules and regulations, make sure he completely understands and then very directly assure him if he screws up his ass is history. I’m sure Mr. Manziel would appreciate the direct approach instead of being jerked around, a potential large asset to the CFL would be given a chance and the Cats could get on the business of clarifying their quarterback situation, which is pretty darned important.

• Hopefully Manziel and his team are being well informed of what’s going on and why. I think part of this is to send a message to the fans that he is undergoing some form of extreme vetting before the league will let him in, and I think in this case some very robust vetting is warranted. But I think with the optics of all the delays they’re probably trying to make up for the Briles affair and the hiring of Eric Tillman.

8. They did layout the policy whos to say Manziel isn’t jerking around the cfl? Bring him to Hamilton to back up Masoli and let the fun begin I might even purchase seasons again ..

9. Scottsask // December 4, 2017 at 9:00 pm //

I will admit I am extremely intrigued. If he is serious about playing and is coached well, the Doug Flutie comparisons could begin.

10. Scottsask // December 4, 2017 at 9:01 pm //

That is still a biiiig if.

11. Antlerman // December 4, 2017 at 9:56 pm //

I want the guy in the Cfl i lkke to see him play

12. Masoli will not be a starter if manziel signs with Hamilton. June Jones knows what he would be getting. Just like manziel making Texas A&M coach KS millions because of his play June Jones and Johnny combination and his style of offensecwill fetcthem to the grey cup. The fans in the cfl are in for a treat and the marketing of manziel by Hamilton and cfl will pay dividends. We should want Johnny Manziel to do well as the cfl can get credit for making him a sucess. When he goes back to NFL we in Canada should be watching him as one of our own. He needs this second chance and Canada CFL and Hamilton will do just that. Ps D Walker of Edmonton Eskimo’s is free agent. He was on the receiving end at Texas A&M for Johnny Manziel. Great combination there.

13. Dustinjunk // December 4, 2017 at 10:50 pm //

I heard the Riders worked him out yesterday in Regina.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 5, 2017 at 12:08 am //

You say that like the whole notion was ridiculous and never happened. We know Jones met with his people. Whether an actual workout took place is moot. Wrong doing was committed. That’s fact

• Dustinjunk // December 5, 2017 at 9:27 am //

It was reported the Riders worked him out which is a lie. Reckless and irresponsible journalism.

• 3rd and 1 // December 7, 2017 at 5:07 am //

Wrong Donkey Dung. Jones spoke to his publicist on the telephone. Jones did not meet with his people. Nor did jones meet with anyone.
        Please let us know when the testies drop from the abdomen. It’s only then are you going to be able to Grow Up!

14. Dane Meffor // December 4, 2017 at 11:18 pm //

Johnny needs the CFL and the CFL needs Johnny. Yes he had done all the bad things published about him. He was truly his worst enemy in Cleveland. And Browns coaches were terrible not playing him from the start. But the guy can play. Not everyone can throw for 375 yards against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Rushed for over 100 yards against KC. He was THE BEST College player for 2 years! Just a glimpse of his potential. Johnny has finally realized he needs football and they only place to play now is CFL. Yes, I think he will do great and will get back to NFL. But he will be a star in CFL.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 5, 2017 at 12:12 am //

Manziel is a trust fund kid with the natural ability to excel without really having to work too hard. That was able to carry him through college, but the pros is a different beast. His lack of a strong work ethic, combined with the immaturity of a party boy is why the browns eventually released him. Unless he has matured immensely and dedicates himself to learn the canadian game, his cfl stint wil be short.

15. Re: “It will be a Warren Moon situation to be quite honest. I just think he has the potential to be a great football player.”

When Moon decided to go south, he was treated like an NFL free agent. Not only did teams go after him, Moon ended up being one of the higher paid QB’s in the league as a rookie and was given the role as a starter.

I find it hard to believe the same thing will happen once Manziel leaves Canada.

16. BigRedMachine // December 5, 2017 at 1:07 am //

Unfortunately the track record of players like him succeeding in the CFL after flunking out of the NFL is not good. However, everybody loves to see people given a second chance succeed so I hope he comes here and does well. Probably Hamilton or TO would be his best landing spots. Maybe Regina but I think that would hurt the development of Bridge.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 5, 2017 at 6:27 am //

June jones seems pretty keen on the kid. I would be shocked if he ended up with anybody but hamilton.

17. If JJ can get Johnny’s head screwed on right he’ll be a star. Just watch his highlight clips…college and NFL…pretty impressive…and you can’t deny the talent. Still has more wins as starter then any other Brown’s QB that has played since he left. And JJ’s not blowing smoke up someone’s ass…he’s not going to just randomly say something he doesn’t mean…so I take his comparison at full value.

• Paul Bomber // December 5, 2017 at 10:37 am //

Maybe, but I’d be concerned he hasn’t thrown a ball in anger in a while. Rust issues? Not sure you can keep up your skills by simply staying in shape (assuming he’s doing that much at least).

18. You need a hobby. Everything looks like a nail when all you have is a hammer. What you see depends wholly upon what you look for. I would not have thought this particular article was yet another opportunity to make a comment about the Riders, but I should never underestimate people…seriously…get a hobby.

• Hey Andrew you obviously don’t spend much time here. To some commenters all articles relate to the Riders. It’s actually and usually the same person too.

• Jake, I spend a fair bit of time here…I see the nonsense and know full well it is one person and one person only. I have long resisted commenting but today was simply too much. =)