Riders draft pick Antony Auclair registers first NFL catch

Quebec native Antony Auclair registered the first catch of his NFL career on Sunday.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end caught a pass from quarterback Jameis Winston on the second play from scrimmage against the Green Bay Packers. It went for 11 yards and was good enough for a first down (according to both the officials and Auclair.)

The Saskatchewan Roughriders draft pick was signed as an undrafted free agent with the Buccaneers immediately after the 2017 NFL draft. The Riders selected him in the fourth round, 30th overall in the 2017 CFL draft.

The six-foot-five, 254-pounder had 17 catches for 229 yards and two touchdowns in eight regular-season games for the Rouge et Or last year. He recorded a team-high 70 receiving yards and one touchdown in Laval’s 2016 Vanier Cup championship victory.

Then he garnered an invite to the East-West Shrine Game. After showing well in Florida, 17 NFL teams travelled to Quebec City to see Auclair perform at his pro day. That made 10 NFL teams bring him in for a visit.

During training camp in Tampa Bay, Auclair performed well while sharing his Canadian pride.

Auclair has played in four games for Tampa this season and finished Sunday’s 26-20 loss to the Packers with the single reception.

– with files from Justin Dunk

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1193 Articles)

53 Comments on Riders draft pick Antony Auclair registers first NFL catch

1. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 3, 2017 at 5:11 pm //

And gloats in celebration over a first down. In a close game that they lost to boot! He will make an excellent rider!

• ArgoFanForever // December 3, 2017 at 5:28 pm //

What a joke you are. Pathetic loser, like your team.

• ArgoFanForever // December 3, 2017 at 6:00 pm //

To all the Calgary Stampeders fans on here (except for Horsie), I apologize for the above comment. The Stamps are a great team, it’s just that the troll got the better of me with his idiotic comment. Auclair caught his first pass and got a first down, that all he was signaling, no need to take a shot at him or the Roughriders. There are some really great Stamps fans like BigRedMachine on here. Sorry again.

• Donkey is still an idiot // December 3, 2017 at 6:15 pm //

The kid has made it to the NFL and yet you mock him! Truley better than you will ever be. You truly are an idiot and an ahole! Screw off already!

• NO THAT is more stampeder style , lol Huffnagel on that alone is probably trying to make a neg list deal to get his rights from Jones, right now !!!. And With 1 catch in four games he would be the Stamps ALLSTAR Canadain receiver ,lol .

• 3rd and 1 // December 4, 2017 at 7:06 am //

Donkey… That comment coming from a Calgary Stampeders fan is ludicrous. The Stampeders receivers have OWNED for so many years now. The embellished jestures after a measly catch to get a 1st down. In fact because of the Stampeders embellishments on the field. The league brought in a rule that if a player motions his arm in the way in which a ref throws a flag. There will be a penalty.
      Your comment makes about as much sense as a Boar calling the Hippo a pig.
      When you actually comment on articles with an open mind. Instead of your juvenile rhetoric. You sometimes make sense. Then like a moth drawn to the flame. You revert back to the slop you wrote above.
      Try and remember this Donkey… Having an open mind is the essence of intellect.

• theonlydispassionateriderfan // December 4, 2017 at 11:30 am //

Gloated? He pointed, indicating a first down. Like the vast majority of players do nearly every time they get a first down. It’s common practice and Nik Lewis did it in Calgary for a decade.

• you’re right if that would have been a Stampeder he would have either:
      1)not made the catch, or;
      2)fumbled it, or;
      3)the QB would have thrown into double coverage and had it intercepted.

2. greenonions // December 3, 2017 at 5:23 pm //

You are persistant…….. and funny. LOL

3. BleedzGreen // December 3, 2017 at 5:29 pm //

Obviously fodder for Rider trolls.

4. No matter how tempting it is to respond to his idiocy, let’s not. I honestly wish there was a way to block certain posters here and a way to keep people from duplicating handles and changing them as often as their underwear. I came here to begin with because I thought I had another source of information like CFL.ca, TSN.ca etc. This guys ruins the whole experience. There are nice and intelligent fans on here but it has become painful to sift through his rubble to find their posts which are not responding to donkey crap, and worse yet, nearly EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN THREAD !!!!!

He starts crap here. He sits on both sides of the fence. My only suggestion is for EVERYONE on here to simply not respond to ANY of his ridiculous posts and hopefully his attention craving little self will just go away seeking the attention elsewhere. I agree with the others about needing professional help as this is not a case of simple trolling. Everyone can see it in his posts. He posts things that he laughs at others for posting, just to argue with the next guy and he keeps arguing the point until, I think, he convinces himself he is right. Next thread (sometimes same thread), total switch. He is so disrespectful to other members here.

This has seemed to work in another thread so lets try to be vigilant and just NOT respond to him. Then maybe he will clean up his act or make him go away.

• pantsonfire // December 3, 2017 at 11:47 pm //

No offence BC Dave but you DO know the irony of what you’re saying, no? Why don’t the Rider regulars set the tone & not respond? What has Horse got to do with us? His opening salvo was sarcasm at it’s best. Horsie 1 Horsie Haters 0.

5. White Horse // December 3, 2017 at 5:52 pm //

BC Dave…do you really think you are better? Ever since the Grey Cup you have spewed troll crap in large amounts. You also have gone to bed with rider fans to gang up on horsie. That obviously validates your junk posts. You used to post some good football observations in the past. You are nothing but a troll who has very thin skin.
    Prove to others that you once again can post your thoughts about football. Maybe a few very rude rider fans will follow suit!

• ArgoFanForever // December 3, 2017 at 6:03 pm //

White Horse… I think he’s just fed up with Horsie like most on here.

• I did that because, since TRAINING CAMP, all we heard how the Stamps a FAR superior to anyone else in the league. He had that coming. If he had simply been a man and congratulated the Argo fans and left it at that I would have too. I have been doing it since Grey Cup TWO weeks ago, and to make a point to him. He has been doing it ALL season. Are you sure you are not him with that :going to bed line”? It seems that way to you because it was the Rider fans he was most disrespectful too all year. I came here for football info and conversation, not his venom. So what? You gonna accuse me of being in bed with Argo fans now? Please stop while you are ahead and do not lower yourself to his level. Even other Stamp fans are trying to tell him to STFU.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 3, 2017 at 7:00 pm //

White horse. Everybody is better than donkey. He need a lot of mental health assistance.

• BigRedMachine // December 4, 2017 at 11:20 am //

Donkey is a serial Rider Fan Baiter and obnoxious braggart over all things Stampeder. He uses multiple names which gives the impression that Stamp fans are chock full of nut jobs like him. Certainly there are nut jobs from every fan base but they at least keep the same nickname so that you can just generally ignore them. Rightly or wrongly fans of other teams respond to his rhetoric with fury and the hijacking of a thread is complete. In the past I have been a member of some general CFL forums that started off strongly but eventually disintegrate and disappear because of posters like him. I have come to the conclusion, after much thought, that the best way to combat this kind of problem is through self policing of your chosen fan base. Therefore I respectively implore Donkey again to either refrain from posting or drastically alter your posting style. You are ruining this space for everyone.

• ArgoFanForever // December 4, 2017 at 8:53 pm //

Thanks BigRedMachine!! You are a class act and a true CFL fan.

• BigRedMachine // December 4, 2017 at 11:27 pm //

I have always felt that Argo fans are the best in the CFL simply because it is more difficult to be a fan when surrounded by an apathetic population and an on line community that regularly remind them of it. Cheers and enjoy the off season!

6. Win or lose, he is young and it has to feel awsum to get your first reception in the NFL. Good on him.

• Yes, our best football players are recruited to play south of the border, good for them. The leftovers are filling the “too many” Canadian ratio spots.
      They must address the Canadian ratio issue

7. Good for the kid. That’s a big deal getting his first catch. As a proud Canadian, I am proud of him regardless who drafted him. Riders are my team. Maybe we see him here maybe we don’t. Every player makes the first down gesture at some point. That’s a big deal so let him enjoy it. Hypocrites will always cry and be negative to fuel their own hate. Sad. Very sad and pathetic.

8. That’s great, keep it up, Antony!

9. I too, as a Canadian, am happy when one of our kids can make it down there. I am sad for us CFL teams but if we paid the money NFL teams do, I am sure they’d be happy to stay here.

10. White Horse // December 3, 2017 at 7:12 pm //

Good to hear from ArgoFanForever and BC Dave. I as a Stamps fan and season ticket holder for 27 years, have suffered greatly for two Grey Cup failures. I just struggle greatly as a fan and for my team as a result of two very bad play calls that directly cost the Stamps two Cups. I am thankful just to be in two consecutive Cups now because that is all I have to cling to.
    Please, no more trashing the Stamps because they truly are a good team. Thanks CFL fans.
    I am really happy for Auclair and his bright future.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 3, 2017 at 7:52 pm //

It would he nice if you would admonish your fellow stamp fans for all of their trashing of the riders and all other teams as well then. If you want respect for your team, then your fellow fans have to give respect to all other teams.

• ArgoFanForever // December 3, 2017 at 9:22 pm //

Great post White Horse!

• White Horse, trust me…For people like you and the other truly passionate Stamp lovers, I feel bad for you. Trust me, I do not want to be the person I came across as in my post GC posts but I wanted to make a point to ‘him’. Sadly, he still does not get it but I really do hope that we, as a group, just do not respond to his idiotic, arrogant, disrespectful comments. They just seem to encourage him. Not saying I was not guilty of this myself. Feel free to call me out when I do respond to him. Meanwhile, anytime I see him starting to ruin a thread, I will post the above blurb on every thread he does that in.

Anyway, As I said in another thread, should be one of the most interesting off seasons in CFL history with all the possible movement this time. Enjoy the off season. It will not be a boring 6 months this year. Anxious maybe…Boring, I doubt it.

11. Hmmm Funny that no postings have been made regarding another Canadian kids who is doing quite well in the NFL this season , fortunately for us in Riderville he is sneekey Jones/Murphy draft pick as well. Who am I referring to , that would be David O— part of the New Orleans Saints Defensive tackle rotation this year. Sadly for us in Rider nation however , its highly highly higly doubtful that David will ever come close to playing 1 down in the CFL , his whole career will be NFL– then healthy retirement after 4-5 years of NFl wages, hec we lost Heenan — to just 1 year of the NFL and an Injury settlement that set him up financially for life. But still great for the Canadians kids to get a chance to play in the BEST league talent wise , not a huge late round draft risk for smart CFL managers either. Some like Foucette though are HUGE busts !!!! Sorry lions fans that was a waiste of your assets trading for him.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 3, 2017 at 9:45 pm //

How is it “fortunate” and “sneeky” to draft guys that never play a down for you?
      You wanna see good drafting and a “sneeky” pick look at Calgary with Tunde Adeleke this year.

• theonlydispassionateriderfan // December 4, 2017 at 11:37 am //

LOL Adeleke was a 3rd round pick, hardly sneaky or a steal. The steal of the draft was Hamilton’s Justin Vaughn(5th round), a REAL sneaky pick.

• Oh yeah, Can’t remember his name…Forgot about him. The one I was trying to follow but not doing a good job, Brett Boyko. He’s bounced around a bit down there but I think even this year, mid-season, Wally was trying to get him up here. He could have helped us at right tackle.

12. Evil Empire // December 3, 2017 at 9:59 pm //

This guy would be an invaluable asset in any league. Great hands, mobility with size to boot. Would love to see him in the CFL one day.

13. Looks like he’s making the most of his opportunity in Tampa. Sure he may never realize the ultimate dream of a Canadian kid and play in the hallowed football shrine that is Mosaic Stadium, but all kidding aside athletes careers are short. He has a chance to make in 2 years in the NFL what he could in 10 in the CFL.

As a Rider fan I wish him luck and don’t feel too bad. After all he was a 4th round pickl those are a crapshoot at the best of times.

14. Lets hear what Marquay McDaniel has to say. He speaks for Stamps fans

15. Same old, same old. Just say Riders and the crap from the west start spewing the venom.

16. Any NFL watchers here know what’s up with Brett Boyko? Is he playing, on a PR??
    Would hate to see another Danny Watkins type story here.

17. The NFL gets our best Canadians and then the CFL has to pick the slim pickings of CIS players to fill all of the ratio positions.
    As a fan I want to see the best possible players on the field, giving players jobs because they are Canadians does nothing for the entertainment value

• Well the ratio does give the opportunity for 300 Pound men with no talent a job.
      If you are in high school and you are 300 pounds, you are going to a CIS school to play football and a guaranteed job for 10 years or so

• It is just wrong that we “reward” these over weight
        guys with guaranteed job positions. Why are we encouraging this? to be 300 pounds in your early 20s
        you are on the path to a Heart Attack.
        Yet we have a sport like soccer where everyone on the field MEN AND WOMEN are fit and talented, no guarantees for them.

What type of example does this set? it’s no wonder the CFL is on it’s death bed in places like Toronto.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 4, 2017 at 9:18 am //

Many of these 300lb men slim down to a more normal size once they leave football. Ive seen retired o-linemen around regina and they dont stand out for size anymore. Look at chris schultz from tsn.

• There are plenty of Canadians at other positions than offensive line. Don’t be dense. That also discounts the skill required to play on the line. Think of something similar to wrestling where you need to understand and use leverage, know where your teammates are and understand the defence coming at you.2

• BigRedMachine // December 4, 2017 at 11:28 am //

That’s as daft as saying all tall men play NBA basketball….

18. Donkey is just hating because the kid is from Quebec, and well, Donkey is the perfect Albertan hick stereotype so no surprise at his hateful and jealous commentary. Get a job and man up Donkey.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 4, 2017 at 8:21 pm //

Ill man up and get a job when you stop accepting equalization payments. Hows that? Deal?
      Mic Drop…I’m out