Dickenson breaks down Mitchell’s Grey Cup game-ending interception

There were many people who questioned Bo Levi Mitchell’s decision to throw deep on Calgary’s final offensive play in a stunning Grey Cup defeat.

But head coach Dave Dickenson isn’t one of them.

On second and four from Toronto’s 24-yard-line, under 30 seconds left, Mitchell let a pass go deep down the right sideline for Marken Michel. Argos defensive back Jermaine Gabriel, who normally plays safety, was in at cornerback.

“It’s a play we’ve run probably 40-50 times during the season, had pretty good success at it. They had a new field corner out there, a young kid, we have a rookie of the year on him that’s fast. It was one-on-one, Bo knew it was man-to-man. The primary usually was Marquay on that one, but he either lost his footing or got pulled down,” Dickenson told News Talk 770 in Calgary.

Toronto safety Matt Black tracked the ball and made a game-sealing interception.

“I haven’t seen the tape I only saw what I saw on the jumbotron. It just didn’t quite get out there. They made the play give them credit. But you know we certainly would’ve liked to miss a little bit on the outside if we missed. We stayed true with the gameplan, we have options to go deep on basically any call. I trust Bo to make good decisions and I thought he did that, just didn’t execute it quite like we wanted to,” Dickenson explained.

“I don’t have any issues with Bo playing the game to win.”

Calgary Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell (19) leaves the field following his teams loss to the Toronto Argonauts during CFL football action in the 105th Grey Cup Sunday November 26, 2017 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

119 Comments on Dickenson breaks down Mitchell’s Grey Cup game-ending interception

1. Blue Rules // December 1, 2017 at 6:59 pm //

Well that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee. Translation Bo don’t No, got to go. BTW likely drop to 14 wins 2018, Tick,Tick,Tick

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 7:10 pm //

14 wins? That would be an improvement! We only had 13 in 2017!

• Blue Rules // December 1, 2017 at 7:42 pm //

Winning a Grey Cup would be an improvement too, Tick,Tick,Tick…time is running out for the Stamps!

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:06 pm //

doubt it. Been a perennial contender for 25 years

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 9:15 pm //

At least she gets to wear a pretty dress and get up to the alter every year.

• Blue Rules // December 1, 2017 at 10:31 pm //

Again that & $2 will get you a cup of coffee, nutten else
            Tick, Tick, Tick, STAMPS are all washed up, to many years no production, Bo can’t Throw, Bo gotta go.

• Are you suggesting that the Stamps are the pretty bridesmaid with the wonderful smile at the front of the hall and the Riders are the envious angry old boot at the back of the hall with the sagging butt. If so I agree.

• Evil Empire // December 1, 2017 at 11:35 pm //

Yeah and she gets nailed at every wedding by someone different.

• To Thunderbolt: Careful how you talk. Respect your elders. That angry old boot with the sagging butt is Kevin Glenn.

• Prove Me Wrong // December 3, 2017 at 4:41 pm //

Tick tick tick, yet ANOTHER year for the blue bumblers with out a Grey Cup.

2. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 7:00 pm //

Thank-You 3 Down Nation for shedding light on this. Unfortunately only myself and a few other rational people will appreciate it. For a certain segment it will fall on deaf ears and the narrative will remain twisted and perverse- Bo was selfish and was thinking of himself and the potential glory. Those people just can’t stand Calgary is, and will continue to be, the class of the league.
    Its clear a sound play call was made and weather may have played a small role.

• Donkey is still an idiot // December 1, 2017 at 7:08 pm //

Still choked Donkey!

• Yes, thank you 3DN. I agree that for a certain segment, the FACT will remain twisted in their little minds. WE know this because ALL year long they kept telling us how only the wins mattered. Not how, not who but just the fact is was a W.

Funny how they Gallop into 2016 and choke at the finish line,
      Gallop into 2017 but choke at the finish line….
      See a trend here? But I agree that they probably won’t choke at the Grey Cup game in 2018. You have to make it there t do that LOL.

I guess, 3DN, from what I read, things will remain twisted so perhaps you can help us by UNTWISTING THIS !!!!
      November 26, 2017 Toronto Argonauts 27-24 Calgary Stampeders

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:28 am //

lol my oh my, you talk a lot for a team that missed the playoffs. Wasn’t BC supposed to be good? Weren’t they supposed to take the thorn from Calaary this year??? Maybe you should go to bed ….shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Weather? Yeah Fog in his head.

3. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:04 pm //

So either McDaniel was pulled down or he slipped? I only saw what I saw on the jumbotron? Really!! This is almost a week later, maybe by now you’d figure you could actually look at film and give an absolute answer. Bo through a boneheaded ball into double coverage to the shortest receiver on the field. Oh well maybe next year.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 7:14 pm //

Wow. You must have pretty impressive credentials to give a 28-6-2 coach with a coach of year award and 2 grey cup appearances advice. Perhaps you should be meeting with Rex Tillerson and advise on peace negotiations with North Korea!

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 7:28 pm //

Yeah , seriously, only donkey has the credientials to critique a grey cup winning coach.

4. TwoTurnTablesandaMicrophone // December 1, 2017 at 7:08 pm //

Do we really have to carpet bomb the Stampeders again on this website? Let’s move on already.

• solara2000 // December 1, 2017 at 7:25 pm //

Agree with TwoTurn. Don’t get the puerile response to the Stamps loss.

• WE can mo e on if they moe on. All year they been saying winning is all that matters and not they do a complete turn about and say they SHOULD have won but for…
      Well that But for was that they choked, as usual but they are not man enough to admit it.
      Congratulate the Argos and move on. Don’t brag about next year, AT LEAST til they actually win something. Can you believe they even had they nerve on another thread to suggest that they should be CO-Champions. Really?? HOW EFFEN ARROGANT !!!!!!!!!

• Agree. The Argos played well, but the outcome was a fluke, and everyone knows it. The ‘choke’ storyline is easy to repeat, but outlandish 109-yard flukes happen. The Stamps deserved better, but that’s how sports works.

5. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:19 pm //

I’m just saying instead of saying it was possibly this or that actually whatcha the film. I’m not bashing Calgary I’m confused on Dickenson’s statements.
    Good grief people

6. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 7:23 pm //

Unfortunately and sadly, a large percentage of “CFL fans” exist only to carpet bomb the Stampeders. I’ve excepted it. It’s a plight I share with Patriot fans,

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 7:25 pm //

Lmfao. Donkey playing the martyr. Well, you are clinically psychotic, so in your mind you may actually believe it.

• And you’ve never made a point of criticizing a certain team 1 province east of you that has green uniforms right?

Oh well the Calgary Bills had a good year!

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:12 pm //

So did the Saskatchewan Dolphins, A mediocre franchise who constantly live and bask in glory from a long time ago

• More Cowbell // December 1, 2017 at 11:21 pm //

I’m not a Riders hater, but when have the Riders EVER had any sustained glory?
          They’ve won only 4 Grey Cups!

• 3rd and 1 // December 1, 2017 at 7:43 pm //

I don’t know how you can except something. I do know that you can accept the fact people blast your comments due to your past. A past of relentless embellishment on anything green and white. What comes around goes around Donkey.

• Except the patriots win championships

7. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:27 pm //

Well how about this, if the riders starting quarterback is Kevin glen next season jones is a useless GM that should be fired. This is my opinion on my team.

8. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:29 pm //

Unlike donkey when my team screws up I won’t disput it.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:14 pm //

I’m not sure who you’re a fan of..I’ll assume its the riders? If so that is a egregious statement, As recently as 2 weeks ago you blamed the officiating for loss

9. Sources Say // December 1, 2017 at 7:30 pm //

Why would Dickenson expect anyone to believe he hasn’t seen the film?

10. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:33 pm //

Read the article

11. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:35 pm //

If the riders don’t improve there online they will suck next year. And I’m a rider fan just carpet boning my team.

12. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm //

Bombing haha! Let the comments begin

13. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:00 pm //

Look I’m very upset at my team. I’m frustrated and angry at the result the last couple of years. I’ve watched this team a long time and they have had a tendency to not win some big games. It does get old. But I can sit and look at it rationally accept it and move on with the realization my team will continue to be a perennial contender and give me hope every year. No other team has been able to maintain this level of success.
    Believe me I was heart broken Sunday. I was mad and still question some of what happened. But when I come on here and 4 of the comments are (amongst many others):

1)-Oh darn, hey. Choked again in historic fashion. Ouch

2)-Yip. Choked indeed. When a team dominates the league for 5 years – makes every other team look like a high school team, or the Riders – and then it’s the best-of-one… The Stamps should have won. But they are losers. And that says what about to all the teams they destroyed? When a loser calls someone a loser, you know who the loser is.

3)-LMFAO

4)- Hey Donkey, how dona spell choke? S T A M P E D E R S

How can you not call this stamp hate and pilling on? The fact is you just wait in the lurches to pounce on this stuff. What do you expect my response to be when I’m already devastated?
    You wonder why I respond the way I do…please reread 4 comments above

• Tommie has something in his Stamps bag that’ll make you feel better.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:16 pm //

Dumb comment. Whats your point?

• You need meds and lots of them. Should be able to buy some off Tommie the pusher employed by your team.

Hint #1: He keeps them in his Stamps bag.
          Hint #2: See hint #1.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 8:20 pm //

Wow, you are such a hypocrite. You have piled on the riders and chris jones with the most purile nonsense the entire year, and now you try to play the martyr saying you and the stamps are being treated unfairly. Well boo f***ing hoo.
      You think im been kidding when ive called you a psychopathic narcissist and sadist. Well, im not kidding. I truly believe you have a seriously warped mind/personality, and you need to be entered into a mental health facility. ASAP.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:39 pm //

Fine. So be it Lancaster Reed. I commented on where I’m coming from and you just crapped on it. You just proved what I said about certain “CFL fans”. At your wish we will continue on as we were until this site ends the comment sections.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 8:42 pm //

Thanks mostly to you donkey. You are the one that drew has booted off 3down multiple times this year. A normal person would conclude that they aren’t wanted on the site and move on. You however…….

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:56 pm //

Peace to you me friend. The best of the Holiday season to you and your family

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 9:11 pm //

So just so i get this straight, you post numerous negative rider comments every day, often utterly ridiculous statements like jones swung at a cameraman. Im guessing in the past year these anti-rider posts probably number over 1000, and now you are upset that rider fans, tired of your relentless nonsense, are punching back , and you cant understand how they can be so mean to you and the stamps?
      That is why i say you are mentally unstable.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 9:19 pm //

I’m puzzled at this response to my Christmas greeting.
        Jones DID swing. Look at the video.

• And it’ because of THIS:
      “makes every other team look like a high school team, or the Riders”

that you get those comments you do not like. You can’t be respectful to others but you want respect?? Sorry bud, don’t work that way. You want respect, start showing some.

• True green // December 2, 2017 at 2:04 pm //

Galloping: I won’t put you in the same boat as the perennial “donkey” but there are a few Stamps-fan posters here that have done everything they can to earn the hate.

There have also been some Rider-fan poster here who earn the same.

Until ALL fans of ALL teams start to post here with respect (not likely with jack asses like “donkey” and morons like “ryan”) you and I will continue to see these types of comments that bring out the anger. I am guilty of it too.

I wish 3down would be more strict with posts but, 3down pretty much encourages it with the half assed reporting and baited headlines.

Can’t sait to play you next year, I have nothing but respect for the product Calgary continually fields and I’m proud as hell that my Riders have returned to being a force that can handle them.

Donkey wherever you are…have at it. I’m sure you can find something to argue and hate on this post!

• True green // December 2, 2017 at 2:07 pm //

*cant wait to play you next year*

• ArgoFanForever // December 2, 2017 at 5:50 pm //

True Green…Galloping is Horsie. Keeps posting under different names

• BigRedMachine // December 3, 2017 at 12:36 am //

And that is frustrating as hell for other Stampeder fans who just want to have a civil conversation with other CFL fans. But his constant changing of names gives the appearance that there are way more nut jobs posting about the Stamps than there actually are. At least the nut jobs from the other teams keep their same nickname so you can generally ignore them. Donkey, step back from the keyboard and give your head a shake.

14. And it it is a touchdown, BLM is a hero.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 8:17 pm //

That’s right! Just like last year. If the Buckley sneak works DD is a genus!!!!!!!!

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 8:24 pm //

And if my aunt had balls she’ Be my uncle. The facts are the buckley sneak disnt work , and mitchell made a bad decision and threw a bad ball. So both get to wear the goat horns.

15. So head coach watches film and DB coach Khalil Carter is sent packing. Spock like move. Logical.

16. Stamps and BLM played a great game. Should have called a ‘draw’ to Messam. If he doesn’t get you a TD, you get the FG and play overtime

• Any kind of safe play, DON’T turn the ball over and even if the play gets nothing, you are in FG range.
      Can’t get much simpler.

17. Evil Empire // December 1, 2017 at 11:04 pm //

Sorry ass Stumps lmao. Somebody give them the heimlich…never mind, too late hahahaha!!

18. Just saying // December 1, 2017 at 11:06 pm //

ETG agree, some kind of run play if unsuccessful kick field goal. See donkey we are smarter than Dickenson. And 99.9 percent of Alberta would agree

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 1, 2017 at 11:37 pm //

Anyone can arm chair coach. While you were lying in your lazy boy guzzling beer, stuffing Doritos in your face and scratching your fat derriere, I guess you should have had a hot line to the stamps side line to tell stupid old 28-6-2 Dave Dickensen and 59-11-2 BLM what to do

• Lancaster/Reed // December 1, 2017 at 11:42 pm //

Boy donkey, you sure are choked that the stamps lost. Pun intended.

• Show me the ring.

25 year later.
        “Well Grand Pappy, if you had that record, you must have some Championships rings to show us !!!”
        “Well, er *choke* um *choke* kids. It’s um *choke* like er *choke* um, like um 8choke* this.
        We didn’t um *choke* win un, win any, um *choke*
        WE FREAKEN CHOKED IN THOSE GAMES, OK.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:08 am //

well …there are 5 rings to show for it. Where are all yours with all those great seasons under Wally?

19. here’s what happened.
    two canadian defensive backs did their job. gabriel’s coverage was tight, black read it right and faded over and took it away. michel couldn’t get open; blm threw inside and a bit short. (for it to work, it had to be outside and almost two strides deeper.)
    it was a hopeless throw.

20. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:10 am //

From the vitriol I receive it’s clear I’m Cinderella, dancing with the price every year and you’re all the ugly, jealous step sisters.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 1:24 am //

This unsubstantiated martyr complex is truly pathetic. You act like you are just an innocent bystander that is getting pounded by the big kids, instead of the king of trolls getting his comeuppance. Arent you even mildly embarrassed by your antics?

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:36 am //

???????????????? I don’t understand. Should I not wish you a Merry Christmas. Is that an offensive greeting to you?

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 1:51 am //

So donkey, exactly how many times has 3down made you change your name( aka – kicked you out)? Have you hit double digits yet? Even the most arrogant of stamps players ( Bo ), is probably embarrassed for you, when he is not agonizing about the stamps choking in 2 straight grey cups.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:57 am //

Lancaster Reed
            The only fan I need to take any guff from are Argo fans. We are still better than everyone else. Including you.
            Anyways have a good night I’m done with you tonight. You bore me.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 2:03 am //

Isnt it about time for your little “ mini-me” aka “ stamps “ to come and defend you? Why aren’t you letting your little sadomasochist submissive speak tonite? Was he bad? Very very bad?

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 10:39 am //

I’m not stamps..You don’t even know how foolish you look when you accuse me of that.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 12:21 pm //

Actually Im thinking that “ stamps “ is chained up in your basement, only to be let out and post when it pleases his master.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 2:07 am //

Donkey you sure like to dish it out, but everyone can see how pathetic you become when getting it back. Just “ choke “ back those tears and try to take it like a man.

21. how about all you cussin’/fightin’ guys take your bizness to some private board, and leave this to folks who want to follow football in a civil fashion.
    please.
    do you realize how silly you all look? how much real estate your petty feuds take up? how much vitriol we must wade through as we attempt to follow issues that matter to us?
    please stop or please go away.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 10:37 am //

I would love to keep this about football believe me

• BS. YOU are the single one who starts crap here. You sit on both sides of the fence.
        My only suggestion is for EVERYONE on here to simply not respond to your ridiculous posts and hopefully your attention craving little self will just go away seeking the attention elsewhere. I agree with the others about needing help. Everyone can see it in your posts. You posts things you laugh at others for just to argue with the next guy and you keep arguing the point until, I think, you convince yourself you are right. Next thread, total switch.
        Let’s all try that guys. No matter how tempting it is to respond to his idiocy, let’s not. I honestly wish there was a way to block certain posters here and a way to keep people from duplicating handles and changing them as often as their underwear. I came here to begin with because I thought I had another source of information like CFL.ca, TSN.ca etc This guys ruins the whole experience. There are nice and intelligent fans on here but it has become painful to sift through the rubble to find their posts which are not responding to donkey crap. and worse yet, EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN THREAD !!!!!
        Enjoy the off season guys

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:02 pm //

BCDave, you respond 2-4 times to a single posting from me. I think you’ll find it hard to ignore me.

22. And when we say keeping it about football we do not mean:
    1. sickening bragging about your stumps before, during and after they choke,
    2. disrespecting other fans on here.
    Like I said above, which you never answered, show some respect and you will get some back.
    Pretty simple concept, for a normal person.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 12:18 pm //

Thats the problem. Hes not “ normal “. I truly believe that he is either a psychopath or at least a sociopath.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 12:27 pm //

You are right bc dave. I will leave donkey alone from this point on. It does get tiresome dealing with him. Hopefully drew and 3down will just start deleteing all of his posts or go nuclear and delete any thread he posts in. I know they can delete threads as ive seen it before.

23. I have to agree. Not to be cruel but over time and numerous threads i can’t help but think there has to be some sort of malfunction at the junction.

When reading some of his posts, I keep getting visions of certain episodes of Criminal minds. Scary people out there among us.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm //

Good one dave. That was truly a laugh out loud post. Its funny because its true.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 1:05 pm //

Wow BC Dave and Lancaster….whens the wedding? You 2 are in love (assuming you’re 2 people)

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 1:07 pm //

I have a close friend who has his masters in psychology, and we were discussing internet trolls . That is where my statements about donkey comes from. My friend felt that a person like donkey has some serious issues and is a potential threat to those around him. Donkey needs to get off the internet and seek professional help. That was his opinion.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 2:16 pm //

lol
        A masters in psychology
        I could stand outside, put on a blind fold, make 1 360 degree rotation while shooting projectiles out of an automatic device and hit 10 people with masters in psychology of other “soft” sciences.
        Did they do their thesis on internet trolls? Even if they did all that proves is they can take someone else’s research and articulate it in the own thesis. It hardly makes you an authority until you actually write the books people are using for research.

• Galloping Again into 2018 // December 2, 2017 at 2:56 pm //

I’m sure your friend with the masters would be cautious to give anything other than the most rudimentary diagnosis on my condition Lancaster Reed. Without knowing me or anything about me other than your “Biased” narrative, it would be pretty hard for an “expert” to determine I’m a threat to those around me and a need for professional help
          Nice Try.

24. Given his credentials, your friend would know. This is beyond just being a troll though. Sounds like serious health issues. I guess all one can do is hope those people get the help they need and wish them well. Problem is that they think they are normal and the millions of other people are the one nuttier than a fruit cake. Even if there is someone in their life who can see it and suggest help, they are too afraid to do so. If people try to help. their paranoia sets in and they think the whole world is against them.
    Oh well. I guess the rest of us can just try hard to ignore and walk around the problem area like it is not there.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 2:15 pm //

Dave,go to the ulrich artice on hervey. I want your opinion on his hiring.

• I was not a fan of Hervey. Biggest issue I had was when He went on that rampage after a game and singled out Simeon Rottier. Had a long discussion with a friend at work yesterday. I do not like singling out an individual in a team but even worse was when Hervey started saying stuff like he will never wear Green and Gold again. I thought that was humiliation but my friend disagrees saying it turned them into winners. There is NO doubt that winning is the ultimate goal but how you get there is just as important I think.
        Anyway, after hearing more on Hervey and the talent he brought in, I am kind of excited at the possibilities. The article also said many people thought coaching was more of a problem than talent. I am one of them, esp the way our Offence was run. In hind sight, I wold take back Jovon Olafioye in a heartbeat at the expense of Chris Williams. They never did figure out how to use him. The two guys we got for Jovon…One was Davis Foucault who struggled all year and the other, Vincent Brown, was released during camp I think, maybe on the final cut down date?? I like Hervey’s intent on starting with both lines, O first, and build out. He agrees that we have loads of talent right now. We do not need rebuilding lol, we just need a few tweaks. Most interesting will be seeing who, if any, Eskimo FAs go to BC. Would LOVE to see Adam Konar end up playing in BC and wearing #31. Franklin will be interesting and I just read that he has drawn NFL interest. He has the size I think, that NFL covets.

• Lancaster/Reed // December 2, 2017 at 3:02 pm //

Agreed about bc not needing a rebuild. If a non playoff team needs a rebuild , its montreal, but they still think all they need is tweaking. BC only needs tweaking to get back into the playoff hunt. Could be an extremely competitive year in the west.

25. Scottsask // December 2, 2017 at 6:30 pm //

Thank you for the football related posts guys, let’s stick to it. That’s why some of us are here. Cheers.

26. Galloping Again into 2018 // December 3, 2017 at 11:28 am //

Lets stick to the article. Why Bo and the stampeders are the best QB/ team in this league. I know it’s hard but this must be admitted

27. Colour me green // December 4, 2017 at 1:12 am //

I agree.

28. Clay Connor // December 7, 2017 at 12:24 pm //

Just watched the replay again. Mitchell had already released the football before McDaniel went down on the 17 yard line.