Shawn Lemon chirps Charleston Hughes after Grey Cup win

Shawn Lemon elected to remain quiet during Grey Cup week when Charleston Hughes was antagonizing him.

Hughes was trying to knock Lemon off his game one snarky remark at a time.

The Stampeders defensive end has typically gone back and forth on social media with his counterpart on the Toronto Argonauts – the two were teammates in Calgary during the 2013 and 2014 seasons – before big games but Lemon refused to take the bait.

Hughes chirped Lemon when the Stampeders arrived in Ottawa on Tuesday but Lemon refused to respond on social media or during his media session on Wednesday.

“Just focused on the game plan and getting the win,” Lemon said. “We’re playing a great opponent so I got to put more time into preparation.

But Hughes kept at it during Wednesday’s media session after being asked about Lemon’s unwillingness to fire back.

“He don’t want to engage with me, he knows better,” Hughes said before infantilizing Lemon.

“I plan on stepping out and having lunch with him sometime this week to discuss our Sunday approach because I know what I’m going to do in the game and I want to hear what he says he’s going to do in the game because when you’re looking down at your son and you’re talking to your father you’re going to tell your father everything you want to do. And I’m going to look back down at him and tell him that’s what I want to hear son. I want him to succeed and do his best.”

Hughes also had some choice words for Toronto quarterback Ricky Ray

“Ricky Ray is not difficult to get down at all,” Hughes said. “He’s one of the easier quarterbacks to sack because when he sees you coming he’s going to turtle.”

Lemon got the last laugh and responded to Hughes after Toronto made a dramatic comeback to win the 2017 Grey Cup.

“Charleston’s a great player, but he should probably focus on the gameplan instead of talking trash about my quarterback next time,” Lemon said with a wry smile.

Statement made.

13 Comments on Shawn Lemon chirps Charleston Hughes after Grey Cup win

1. justforkicks // November 27, 2017 at 12:06 am //

Sounds familiar after the Bo tweet. As well when Reilly said “not in our damn house”. It just does not pay to be too arrogant.

2. Typical Stamps. Big talk. Bigger choke.

3. 1&4 in their last 5 games // November 27, 2017 at 12:33 am //

Where is the loud mouth that always changes his name?

• He’s getting his but kicked on another 3DN article. Poor Sad Horsie……..lmao

• I don’t feel sorry for him. If he was a humble die-hard I would but he is an arrogant loud-mouth who does his bragging BEFORE the end result. That just makes one look stupid on TOP of arrogant. Looks good on them. I hate saying that because I am afraid of Karma and I know it hurts to lose the big one but if you want people onside with you, you act decent. You don’t and they laugh at you. Sure, we all love our team and are proud of them but…
        I hate chirping but at least Lemon doing his AFTER the game a opposed to Hughes BEFORE the game. Look at all the bragging out of calgary last two years and what have they got to show for it hahahahahaha.

• riderontheisland // November 27, 2017 at 11:48 am //

Dave my biggest issue with him is the lies and BS that he constantly spews. I love bantering and standing up for my team, but he is like Trump and we say anything and sell it as truth. No respect for that jackass and we won’t see or hear from him for months and then he will pretend like nothing happened as he logs on with a new name yet again.

4. Hughes is always snarling in photos, acting all badass. Bell and his warpaint, trying to intimidate. Looks good on both of ’em!

5. Paul Bomber // November 27, 2017 at 9:41 am //

Just looks good on a cocky team and chirping fans. Wonder if Hughes and Mitchell will learn some humility? BEAUTIFUL!
    Nice to see a humble Ricky Ray set the standard for Grey Cup QBs.

6. Lancaster/Reed // November 27, 2017 at 10:20 am //

Brandon Bridge also chirped at Lemon before the game. It’s never smart, but it was Bridge’s first postseason as a professional, and he can at least blame it on youthful over exuberance. This isn’t Hughes first rodeo. If it’s not arrogance, what is Hughes excuse?

7. Trash talking almost always comes back to haunt you because it motivates your opponent and you look so foolish after the game. Why players can’t just shut up and play with class and professionalism is beyond me.

8. Choke-Levi Mitchell // November 27, 2017 at 11:22 am //

Bo-Levi’s game ending INT brought happy tears to my eyes.

9. Stamps did what they do best…. “LOSE GREY CUPS”

10. Colour me green // November 27, 2017 at 8:21 pm //

I agree with Dave.
    Now we can talk about something else than the Riders for the 13th man. Thank you Kavis.
    It’s sports, it is why people watch it, never know what will happen. Donkey hopefully learns from this and stops the trolling and just talks football and supports his team.
    Ya, when Donkey’s fly