Chris Jones has read the rulebook over and over again since Sunday’s loss to Toronto in the East Final.

The Riders head coach used the team’s only challenge in the first quarter of the season-ending defeat and it didn’t go as planned.

Kevin Glenn threw an interception to Terrance Plummer who took it back 39 yards for a touchdown with under five minutes and 30 seconds left in the opening quarter. After Glenn had let the ball go, Victor Butler’s left arm made contact with Saskatchewan’s quarterback’s head and neck area. There was no penalty flag on the play, so Jones challenged the ruling.

“Well, I mean I’ve been reading this rulebook since last night and it says right here on page 56 any blow above the passer’s shoulder,” Jones said

The photo evidence.

“Certainly it’s early in the game and that’s a seven-point turnaround. That was my belief is that he did get contacted above his shoulder pads in his head and neck area or I wouldn’t have burned my one challenge that I had, I firmly believe that I still do,” Jones asserted.

“But at the same time, that’s not the only thing that cost us that football game, I want to make that abundantly clear: we’re not trying to make excuses or point fingers or anything else. That was a challenge, I lost the challenge. There were plenty of other opportunities that we had to win that football game and unfortunately we didn’t.”

“I don’t know if I should comment about this because I haven’t received our last check, so they may still be able to fine me after I say this, but I’ve seen other QBs in the league get that call. And I’ll leave it at that,” Glenn said.

88 Comments on Riders’ Chris Jones got out CFL rulebook after failed challenge in East Final loss

1. I didn’t see that it was that conclusive that he hit him above the shoulder…and he certainly was shown to be pulling his arm away from him…

2. Jake E Snake // November 20, 2017 at 3:21 pm //

It was clearly obvious it was a penalty however Jones is absolutely correct when he says that they had other opportunities to win the game and they didn’t. The better team won and now we look forward to the Argos beating the Stumps this year. ABC…

• Only sad part about that play is during regular season penalty, in playofffs is like different rules. Earlier in season someone’s hand touched Riley’s Helemt and that was ruled roughing passer

3. Stallion in grey saddle // November 20, 2017 at 3:21 pm //

I remember the late great coach Ron Lancaster. After the 1996 snowbowl (Grey Cup 1996) in Hamilton between the Toronto Argos and his Edmonton Eskimos. I can’t remember the exact incident but the Esks got the raw end of a call. He was incensed on the sideline. In the post game press conference someone asked him about it. His reply- I’m paraphrasing here- “Nope I will not comment. This game was far to good to allow this controversy to overshadow it”.
    Chris Jones; you are no Ron Lancaster.
    If you believe it had no outcome on the game, why bring it up? and why did you need the prop? He clearly though about it for awhile….and it was no penalty anyways. First contact was well below the shoulders and Glenn embellished.

• Clay Connor // November 20, 2017 at 4:30 pm //

It was a play where Doug Flutie fumbled a snap on an attempted quarterback sneak. Flutie himself admits he never got the snap but the refs gave him the ball and the first down.

• longtimetcfan // November 20, 2017 at 5:29 pm //

I may be mistaken but IIRC, the referee who supposedly blew an early whistle that negated the Flutie fumble was none other than…. Jake Ireland. If I’m correct, what a surprise!

On leaving Ivor Wynne after the game, I seem to recall talking to Eskimo fans, sympathized with them and commented on how we, as TiCat fans, knew what it’s like to be on the short end of an Ireland-called game.

But with my memory… I may be wrong

• Stallion in grey saddle // November 20, 2017 at 5:48 pm //

Ahh.. thats right.. now that you mention it I can remember

• Glenn embellished?? Better lay off the crack bubba and take off the rose (or Stamp) colored glasses, whichever applies. The officiating sucked for the most part, and yes the Riders didn’t play as well as they should have but they kept getting beat down by the officials for most of the game.

• Stallion galloping to Ottawa // November 20, 2017 at 9:35 pm //

Meh whatever chump. Stamps are going to Cup. Rides aren’t. Nothing else matters does it?
        Stop using it as an excuse. It gets pathetic

• Hope you remember your attitude next week. The officiating is perfect and legit right? Any call or non-call for or against the Stamps is the right call. Remember that.

• Riderfan34 // November 20, 2017 at 8:43 pm //

That’s total bs buddy it was a penalty and not called if that happened to Ray or Bo boo Levi, it would have been a flag!

• I am a Tiger cat fan, so I have no horse in this race. And I don’t even like the riders

I thought it was clearly a penalty. No embellishment needed.

As usual, the stripes and the video review robbers got it wrong.

• How bout the fact the ball is long gone and he still put glenn to the ground, that there in the rule book is a penalty. If it were any other qb they would have go the call.

• Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 10:35 am //

Ok you say it’s no penalty . If a QB gets hit well after he releases the ball how is that not roughing the passer . I see plenty of clowns like you that say it’s no penalty but never give the reason why . Ok from the very moment on if you think that’s not a penalty then every time your QB takes a late hit there should be no flag . From this moment on after that call late hits on a QB are to longer a penalty .

• Why bring it up, because he was asked. He was right, but refused to blame blown call for loss. (Didn’t even mention the other bad call that led to Argos 2nd TD.
      But Argos won and I will cheer for them Sunday

4. You can clearly the DL’s last hand just under Glenn’s right shoulder. His left bicep is on the left shoulder. I don’t see infractions there. Now…If he hit Glenn in the throat with his forearm, that is a penalty.his elbow was down and bent so probably did not even touch Glenn’s throat.

• Habsnriders // November 22, 2017 at 1:36 pm //

So the fact that he hit him clearly after Glenn released the ball is not a penalty ? Must have changed the CFL rule book on late hits on the QB just for that play . Trust me next season every time a QB gets a late hit and there is a flag thrown I’ will be commenting on why was there’s a flag , that’s not a penalty

5. DL’s LEFT hand…

6. Chris Jones made the Riders into an exciting team this year and a hero out of Duron Carter.Hard to ask for more.Never will forget the guy in black,just a shirt, braving the cold and fearlessly directing his team.A colourful CFL character with a story,too, to remember.

7. White Horse // November 20, 2017 at 3:37 pm //

Both E&W Finals were terrific entertainment. There is always some reason for dispute after every game. Example: Rod Pederson. The best team that day always wins because they wanted it more. Example: 2016 Grey Cup. Yesterday the two teams that wanted it most won the game…it is very simple really!
    I hope the 2012 Grey Cup doesn’t repeat itself. Stamps and Argos again 2017.

8. Chris Jones in 2 short years and complete overhaul is creating something for Rider Nation to be proud of and he has a valid question about the call he only asking for clarification and as a Rider fan i would like to know too

9. That challenge had no effect on the outcome of the game but there were Two BIG bullshit penalties by the refs yesterday That hurt the Riders big time!! Anyways the Argos were the better team yesterday and congrats on going to the Grey Cup! They probably won’t beat a very motivated Stamps team but hopefully it will be a entertaining game!

• BigRedMachine // November 20, 2017 at 4:11 pm //

I agree that there was an iffy UR penalty that went against the Riders. I don’t recall any other calls that the Riders didn’t earn but I may be mistaken. There is, however, a video making the rounds on twitter that shows a blatant facemask penalty against DC that wasn’t called so I think the calls weren’t as one sided as some Rider fans think. Wish we could post video links here…

• They scores 4 more points than they should’ve on the drive with the bs call on Knox and 7 on the play that should’t have taken a failed challenge to call it right. Posey was also over a yard offside on his td. 18 points the Argos didn’t earn and that the refs gave them.

• BigRedMachine // November 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm //

No way the command center takes a big play off the scoreboard on an ambiguous call that had no direct bearing on the outcome of the play. Same as Dickinson’s challenge in the WF. And justifiably so…

10. riderontheisland // November 20, 2017 at 4:17 pm //

I was disappointed by this ruling, but then I thought to myself “oh well at least the refs won’t be nit picky today”, I then saw several nit picky calls against the Riders including 25 yards worth late in the second quarter that setup the Argos first offensive TD. Both of these extended the drive and without either it is a punt. I hate when the officials spoil and tilt a game.

11. I agree with Jones. I watched the play and replays and thought for sure it would be called back based on the rules and previous rulings. I am not bias as a Ticats fan as I against everything I stand for want Toronto to win to preserve the East vs West Cup tradition. Unfortunately I don’t believe the officials to be competent enough to make the calss. Once it goes to the command center its a crap shoot 50/50 at best. Thing Jake roles dice or spins a wheel.

• greenrider89 // November 20, 2017 at 8:15 pm //

Hope the command centre gets eliminated. Just creates more controversy and embarrasses our game from viewing fans of other countries. Please, Mr. Ambrosie, make the correct call and get RID of the command centre. We don’t need a command centre. A waste of time and money.

12. Evil Empire // November 20, 2017 at 4:28 pm //

So, Jones didn’t like the non-call.

Biggest cheating GM. Biggest cheating HC. The whole damn team. With fans that openly want their team to cheat. Find a Rider Message Board.

It’s all there in black, and white.

Oh… And, there radio guy says there was a conspiracy to putt the Argos in the GC. Which means the Riders had no chance. Why bother playing if you know in advance who will.

Their radio guy ??? You can’t make up stuff like this.

Yeah, The league, the officials, the broadcaster, the team they are playing. Crooked to the core. I’m sure that collection of misfits would blame the Esks, and the Stamps if they could.

Jones, STFU !

• How’d the Eskimos make out? LMAO. Zylstra have a big game? Btw, in case you haven’t figured out Maas call for a fg at the end, I’ll enlighten you. He didn’t want the lead with too much time left. If they’d taken the lead with a minute and a half left, the Stamps would be doing 3rd down gambles and would’ve killed the clock on a game winning drive. Maas figured they’d need 2 scores to win and took the lower score 1st in an attempt to keep Calgary playing more conservatively.

• riderontheisland // November 20, 2017 at 4:57 pm //

Hey EE, take your own advice and STFU. Let go of your bitterness that Jones left you for greener pastures. I would hate to see how you react to ex girlfriends. Something tells me you know what a restraining order looks like.

• Ok you must be sour cause Jones left Edmonton.1

• Haha…no one is sourjones left. Ur cryin and picture shows arm on pads! Plus defender is landing and Glenn is a midget!

• Smart guy, it doesn’t actually where the contact is. You can’t contact quarterbacks after they’ve thrown the ball, it’s called roughing the passer. Period. Doesn’t matter how hard, or where, or if it was intentional or accidental. Players get called for it even for getting PUSHED into quarterbacks. It was clearly a bad non call and anyone who thinks otherwise should try taking their heads out of their asses.

• I think you need to calm down bud. Take a deep breath and count to 7…

There isn’t that better? 🙂

• well aren’t you a special kind of stupid EE…you are just jealous cause you won’t be in another grey cup until Maas learns to coach…he isn’t even as close to Jones in coaching…please enlighten me…where did we cheat…if anyone needs to STFU it’s you…I hate the stamps but I am glad they beat your sorry asses

• greenrider89 // November 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm //

And please, evil empire, teach your HC (who incidentally is a big crybaby and wears a hat and toque to cover his bald head) to learn to count past six. And maybe when TSN calls upon your team, that edmonton actually has the decency to not lie about faulty headphone sets to try to win a game. Talking about cheats, look in your own backyard.

• Actually EE you and Donkey should get together. In fact I think you already are. You are deliusional and you read about a dumb as any comments ever written on here.
      The EE will soon dismiss Dumbo for not just looking dumb but pulling the most stupid and dumb call at the end of a playoff football game.
      Your inability to read a story and filter information properly puts you at a grade school intelligence.
      A Commissioner has been removed from this league because he was too stupid to figure out that every team in a rebuilding phase has done exactly the same things that were done in SK in 2016. In fact Kent Austin put through 11 more players (121) in 2013 than the Riders did in 2016. Nothing was ever said because the league had a real commissioner then.
      Plus you better go read Rod Pedersens tweet regarding everyone wants Toronto in the Grey Cup. He never said anything about the league. He was in Toronto and everyone in Toronto states emfatically that it would be better if Toronto was in the Grey Cup. Your iQ is exactly what sensationalism in journalism is all about. They go after stupid people who can not differentiate between reality and sensationalism. You eat that crap like candy. Maybe it’s time you switch to Smarty’s. It sure sounds like you need them. But keep going by pointing your finger while you sing na, na, Na Na Na. That’s right in your wheel house.

• Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 10:45 am //

Lol are you kidding me right now , I’m going to assume your an Edmonton fan with that ridiculous sign in name . Ok first off when jones was your head coach and took your team from a losing record to winning the grey cup in 2 years you love him but then a day later he signed with a real team and all the Eskimo fans hated him .
      Now on to your current coach , you know the one that smashed his head set in a childish tantrum when his challenge was over ruled . He didn’t calmly read over the rule book and wonder why he didn’t get the call , oh no not at all he made a spectacle of himself . So next time you decide to talk crap about another coach you might want to look at your own house .

13. Evil Empire // November 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm //

Missed the word “ win “ at the end of a paragraph.?

Why bother playing, when you know who will win, beforehand.

14. Jones is gotta go // November 20, 2017 at 4:53 pm //

I’ve been a rider fan forever but I can see why people dislike rider fans so much. The riders lost because our coach allows an undisciplined team and encourages it. With Jones at the helm we will be subject to a long string of 500 seasons. I haven’t read the CFL rulebook but I doubt it’s written in “hillbilly” so I’m pretty confident Jones wouldn’t understand it anyway.

• riderontheisland // November 20, 2017 at 5:01 pm //

Hey Jones guy, I’m not accepting that you are a Rider fan because you certainly don’t speak for most of us. 500 season losing string….. well we just had a winning season so that stupid streak you talk about will start next year. You sound like some of the morons that call in after every game a bitch about something stupid even if the Riders win by 30. Please do the rest of us a favor and go hibernate.

• Lancaster/Reed // November 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm //

Im pretty sure he understands the rulebook 100 times better than you. Did he nail your wife when he first got to regina? Why the hate towards jones? Next season the riders will be fighting for first place, well above .500.

• How does a comment like that get past moderation

• George Porge // November 21, 2017 at 9:15 am //

There are no moderators here. The only thing the auto-mod does in these forums is stop people from posting URLs to other websites. You can post all the offensive shit you want, just don’t post something that might be a competing website.

• Your not a Rider fan…GET OUT!!!!

• greenrider89 // November 20, 2017 at 8:22 pm //

At least he doesn’t live in deadmonton. What? Half-empty again? Best fair-weather fans in the CFL.

• Stallion in grey saddle // November 20, 2017 at 8:40 pm //

you seem sour Greenrider89. Like you just had some sour grapes.

• No, I’m not sour, horsee. I was happy to see Calgary win (though, I wonder why sometimes the way you constantly talk about the Riders). I don’t harbour any bitterness on the Roughriders. They exceeded expectations and I’m happy for the team. Why? What did I say that makes it sour grapes?

• You’ve been a rider fan… ya sure! Man (Jones has to go) Donkey people are not as stupid as you think they are. Stupid is as stupid does. That has to be the stupidest attempt at deceit that I’ve seen in here. Time to grow up dude. You truly are embarrassing yourself!!!

• Jones guy your just a plain idiot

• Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 10:48 am //

Your not a rider fan please don’t embarrass the rest of us by saying that . If you think jones isn’t a great coach that cares about this team then you are an clueless

15. Margaret m // November 20, 2017 at 5:17 pm //

Questionable call by the refs. Also UR call later. Refs should have to attend a special playoff camp to ensure they have the rules down right. Professional development specialty workshop. This should help. This happens in the business world and should happen for people managing the game. This is a systemic issue and should be addressed in the off season. I think that the CFL had an exchange program with the NFL. So we are adaptable.

16. Keep cheating Jones! We’ll keep buying jerseys to support the fines. Unless the team sucks, .500 shouldn’t be that hard

17. Glenn Chupik // November 20, 2017 at 5:57 pm //

The Argos D lineman arm did contact Glenn’s chin. That’s part of the head. No question a penalty. I’ve seen much less contact to the head called RTP.

18. The DL should have made a greater effort not to contact Glenn, but it was pretty modest contact. The rule was put in place for a reason – to protect QB’s – not to call back legitimate football plays. Well QB’s will live long and collect their pensions if the worst they have to fear is the contact on that play. It was a brush by and not a hit.

The rules should be interpreted in accordance with their purpose. There are too many penalty calls in the CFL. There should be a much stronger “no harm no foul” perspective in the officiating. The brush by did not affect Glenn’s bad throw and it should not negate the great football play that the defensive player made when he intercepted the ball.

Jones was looking to get bailed out of the legitimate outcome of a really bad play by SK and a really great play by the Argos.

Ticat fans will long remember the “technically correct” illegal block call on Taylor Reed that called back the Brandon Banks miracle touchdown return in the 2015 GC. The block did not spring Banks. It did not materially affect the play and it was not a threat to player safety. The play should have counted – it would have made for a great moment in CFL history. Instead … some official ticked the box … proved that he knew the rule book … and we are all the poorer for it.

It is better when the players determine the outcome.

God help me for saying this … Go Argos … bring home the Cup

• It was obviously a clothesline, however even if it wasn’t, since when is contacting a qb after the ball is gone allowed? Refs tend to allow late hits on qb’s, depending on who the qb is. Would be called 100% of the time for Burris or Calvillo when they were playing. And now, it’s Mitchell and Ray who are “untouchable”.

• Paul Bomber // November 21, 2017 at 11:41 am //

“Clothes Line”? “Obvious”? Uhmm… it was MINOR contact with the helmet/face mask (which granted is against the rules).
        I just think it’s sad Jones has to whine about it, then fake some class by saying it’s not the only reason they lost. Get over it… it’s Grey Cup week… he should be focused on being a good ambassador for the game.

• Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 10:59 am //

Lol this is beyond funny because if it happened to your bombers I really really really doubt you would be calmly saying , get over it .
          Get real

• true green // November 20, 2017 at 6:55 pm //

That is a great comment and reminder of 2015. LAst week the refs let riders and redblacks really play and the game pace was fantastic. My complaint about yesterday, is that this wasn’t called yet there were some pretty sketchy calls against the riders. I am not calling conspiracty, because I have seen games get called in the riders favour as well. Personally, I wish there was much less penalties and more consistency. but there isn’t. sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. Yesterday, the poor refing hurt the riders for sure. but thats life in the cfl

• True. You are right. The subsequent UR call was totally bogus. Consistency has been the problem all season. Riders made tremendous progress this year. Great fan support. Something that Hamilton’s fans could learn from.

• Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 10:56 am //

Omg that’s funny , so the call against your team was a bad call but the call against the riders was a correct call?
      The lineman had his arm out and hit Glenn well well after the ball was released , he could have very easily dropped his arm it wasn’t like his momentum was stopping him .
      Ok I remember a playoff game vs the stamps and chick sacked Burris and after the sack chick lightly tapped Burris on the helmet and proceeded to draw a 15 yard penalty . But the one that just happened against Glenn was deemed after review no penalty .

19. One comment read the rules on roughing the passer…

20. Jake Ireland strikes again! He should be in the Argos Hall Of Fame.

21. I hope Glenn retires for the sake of Saskatchewan.

22. Stallion in grey saddle // November 20, 2017 at 8:45 pm //

Jones has 1 think on his mind now.. The competitive Corn bread circuit. First up the Omaha state fair.

23. How can anyone take seriously a league that conspires collusion to slant in favour one teams victory because of a desired East, West division playoff format? Another 500 (9-9) team in the championship game really pathetic.

• BigRedMachine // November 20, 2017 at 11:48 pm //

Yes. Because a 10-8 team would totally legitimize the whole process. Remember, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t me the league isn’t out to get you….

• Well, if you include playoffs, they’re now 10-9.

You’re welcome.

24. Fred Fateri // November 20, 2017 at 10:47 pm //

I don’t necessarily agree with this rule but if it’s in the book it should be called. Similar to the other game when a flag wasn’t thrown after a Stamps player was hit late out of bounds. Chris Cuthbert even commented that flags thrown in July aren’t thrown in November.

25. Paul Bomber // November 21, 2017 at 9:13 am //

Read the comment a couple of times above: there should be some discretion rather than ANY contact, but it is the rule, Sask got burned. BUT every team has been the victim of inexplicable rulings from the command centre. I just don’t get it. And as Jones himself said, it’s not why they lost.

26. Rider Fan here, the hit was NOT above the shoulders it was on the shoulder which does not constitute a foul, I said it at the time, waste of a challenge because he used emotion instead of common sense.

• The ball was gone, a late hit is roughing the passer irregardless of where… and it was clearly high as well.

• George Porge // November 22, 2017 at 3:50 pm //

The ball has to be gone longer than a half-second for the hit to be considered late. If you have to slow it down to super-slo-mo to see the ball leave the QBs hands before the hit, it ain’t late.

27. hegetfit51 // November 21, 2017 at 4:50 pm //

Look the Call, changed the MOMENTUM of the game !!! As a Rider fan I am upset and left to wonder WHAT IF !! in my opinion the right call would of been made!! Would of Glen continued to play poorly/ etc. one never knows. Yes the Riders lost for a number of factors and an inch here or there would of changed the outcome of the game even after the blow call. Bagg would of had a TD in the fourth before the punt return by Jones if his heel is 2-4 inches more fro the boundary line (such is football). The bottom line is the call resulting in things snowballing a bit for the Riders who didn’t respond well till the 4th quarter . Again as a fan I just want the right call made by the letter of the rule book. Rather then have to wonder what if ????? I would say the same even if the play was reversed and in the Riders favor , in that they had a roughing penalty and a pick six resulted because the call was not up held. THE RULE IS THE RULE !!!!

• George Porge // November 21, 2017 at 6:30 pm //

If that’s the logic you want to use, then the same could be said for the even more egregious missed hit on the Argos’ kicker only a couple of plays before. Had that been called, it’s likely that the Riders wouldn’t have even had the ball yet.

• That’s nice. Now you’re making things up to justify the blown call? You’re full of shit. Not only did they “miss” the late/high hit on Glenn when it happened, they “missed” it in 2 reviews. Supposedly every scoring play is reviewed, so it should have been called after the 1st review negating the need to waste the challenge… and they still got it WRONG.

28. Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 11:07 am //

I have read so many comments that it wasn’t a penalty but I have not read even one give a reason why it wasn’t . LOOK AT THE PICTURE And try and tell me why it wasn’t a penalty . There is not a fan on here that if it happened to their team that they would casually shrug their shoulders and say , oh ya it was the right call .

• George Porge // November 22, 2017 at 3:35 pm //

I think you need to read again. I see a lot of people making the argument that the hit was across Glenn’s chest and on his shoulders, and not to his neck. It wasn’t a late hit, and it wasn’t a high hit.

• Late is late. PERIOD. If that was Ray or Mitchell, the flag would’ve been out before the defender even caught the ball. Some players are too “special” to touch. You have no valid argument, move along troll.

• George Porge // November 22, 2017 at 8:34 pm //

Again, do you even watch the games? Both Reilly and Mitchell were hit multiple times in the West Final after releasing the ball. None of those hits were called, nor should they have been.

29. If it had been late great call it, but it wasn’t that is a Football play I guess the next logical choice is to put them in flags take the contact right out of the game, that is what all you bleeding hearts want, so keep bashing football and before long you will get your wish.

30. Ridersnhabs // November 22, 2017 at 11:27 pm //

Lol it wasn’t a late hit , now that is some good comedy . I guess 4 steps after the ball is released isn’t a late hit in the eyes of people that hate the riders but to sane thinking people it was a late hit . Look at the picture the ball is almost to the guy and the defensive player has his arm around Glenn . I had no idea that Glenn threw threw the ball at 200 kph , must have been a lazer beam .
    Wasn’t a late hit , omg .
    I’m over the bad call what I’m not over is the idiots on here that defend the call because they hate the riders .