Edmonton’s Jason Maas doesn’t regret decision making in loss to Stampeders

Laurence Heinen, Canadian Press

Jason Maas doesn’t regret his decision to send out Sean Whyte to kick a field goal down seven points with under two minutes to go in Sunday’s West Division final.

His hope was that his Edmonton Eskimos would eventually get the ball back and then drive for the game-winning touchdown, but that didn’t happen as the Calgary Stampeders hung on for a 32-28 win to advance to next Sunday’s Grey Cup final in Ottawa against the Toronto Argonauts.

“Will I look back on it and wonder? Maybe, but I won’t ever regret it because I have faith in our football team,” said Maas. “That’s what it was, it was a faith decision saying your defence is going to get the stop, special teams is going to get you the ball back and your offence is going to go down and score again.

“We’ve proved it in different spots all year that those things can happen. Ultimately in this one game, in this one moment, it didn’t. At the end of the day we’ll all live with it and it’ll go down as a loss.”

Maas’ decision had the potential to pay off as the Eskimos forced Calgary to punt with 24 seconds remaining, but Edmonton’s Jamill Smith fumbled the ball on the return and the Stampeders recovered to close out the win.

Edmonton quarterback Mike Reilly didn’t question his coach’s call to settle for the 20-yard field goal as the clock ran down to 1:43 on the play, rather than gambling on the third-and-four situation to extend the drive.

“I put faith in my coaching staff that they’re going to make the best decision for us. I’ll never question that,” said Reilly, who converted a third-and-10 situation earlier in the drive when he threw a 31-yard pass to Brandon Zylstra.

“Everybody’s going to have hindsight and question that decision, but at the end of the day I think the decision’s made based on trying to win a football game, giving yourself three points, so that when you drive down and score with no time on the clock, you’re winning, you’re not going to overtime.”

Whyte had his fair share of troubles on a windy afternoon as he missed a 42-yard field goal late the second quarter.

“I hit it dead straight and the last few feet it went hard left out of nowhere,” explained Whyte, who finished with two field goals, three converts and a single. “Sometimes, you’ve got to just aim down the middle and hope for the best. It just didn’t work out.”

The Eskimos still managed put up a single point on the play, which wasn’t the case when Whyte’s 30-yard field goal attempt early in the third quarter hit the left upright and bounced back onto the field.

“I’ve played a lot in this stadium and that’s some crazy wind to deal with,” Maas said. “I don’t think it was a factor. I think both teams moved the ball well and kicked the ball pretty well in it. It was definitely a circulating wind.”

The Eskimos definitely had the start they wanted as C.J. Gable and Derel Walker scored touchdowns in the first quarter to give them an early 14-0 lead.

“That’s not anything crazy obviously in the first quarter to have a 14-point lead on a great team like Calgary,” said Reilly, who completed 23 of 38 passes for 348 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions. “That’s obviously not going to hold up.

“You’ve got to be able to continue to put points on the board throughout the game. It felt like we hit a low as team – offence, defence, special teams, just as an entire group in the second and third quarter.”

56 Comments on Edmonton’s Jason Maas doesn’t regret decision making in loss to Stampeders

1. What an idiot

• Geroy Burris // November 20, 2017 at 12:46 am //

I’ve been saying it all season. Between the refusal to wear pink to support women with cancer and the refusal to wear the diversity shirt, he has proven himself to be a dumb, white-supremacist Trump supporter. And no one wants to write it but I will: Maas looked at the scoreboard, did the math, and decided that he was down six, not seven.

I have no fear that he’ll respond to me here because he’d never get past the “Prove you aren’t an evil spambot” math question.

• Lol…

I don’t even think he looked at the scoreboard. I think Suitor called it; Maas thought he knew the score, failed to consider the point that Smith conceded and didn’t bother to check before making any kind of decision as to what to call. And now he’s acting like it was all part of the master plan.

• Prove me wrong // November 20, 2017 at 10:06 am //

Yes, Mass is not the mastermind that Jones is… leaving in KG to throw THREE picks… His great defensive calls were especially evident in that fine 2 minutes…

• At least there is a chance Maas will learn from his mistakes. Chris Jones? Not so much.All season long he thought a washed up, seventeen year vet QB was the answer and would lead the Riders to the promised land. Meanwhile, this has been would have a hard time winning a Pop Warner championship. Jones also thought Franklin would be an UFA at the end of last season. Nobody will ever accuse Jonesie of being bright.

• Give it a rest Hillary. What an ignorant comment

2. I can’t come up with any scenario where that decision made any sense.

• He thought that it was a six point game. He lost count.

• Did he know that there was a BIG scoreboard that he could clearly see???

His HUGE ego won’t let him admit that he screwed up.

That coach that Maas bellowed at, a couple of games ago, can now laugh in his face….

3. Only reasonable explanation for kicking a FG from the 13 yard line, on third down, being down 6 points if Maas was pulling a Pete Rose?

4. he was pulling something

5. I think it’s probably more accurate to say that he will never admit that he regrets it.

6. Rider's x-fan // November 19, 2017 at 10:55 pm //

If I’m Ambrosie, I’m checking around.

• Home of Red Derelict in White. // November 20, 2017 at 9:53 am //

How can you be Ambrosie when your already White horse in red, Riders X fan, love Canada, grumbling about green and on and on. How’s the name writing this comment. Are you digging it. Are you bathing in the dissrespect. Time for people to grow up.

7. Bad call, pure & simple. Taking it out of your QB’s hands on the 13 didn’t make sense. Play for the tie first, then worry about the win. Overthinking it. Live & learn.

• Even if his team didn’t make the TD, the Stamps would have probably taken the ball very deep in their zone instead of their 35 yards line. that would have increased the chance the Esks take the ball back closer to the Stamps end zone.

It was a bad decision in any way you look at it.

8. Colour me green // November 20, 2017 at 12:04 am //

Poor call plain and simple. He ain’t no rocket scientist.

9. Perhaps he was counting on divine intervention.

10. Mass , it just doesn’t go down as a loss it was a loss. Your loss!

11. Well you should regret it, Maas, because it was a STUPID decision…sheesh!

12. At this point what else is amass suppouse to say. Of course he has to back up his decision. If he didn’t it could easily be termination time.
    None of his coaching staff were going to say anything to change his mind. As most head coaches are open to their assistant coaches. Most head coaches can also take constructive criticism. We have seen all year that taking any direction from his coaches is not a Jason Maas quality. A real lack of professional leadership has been evident at times. A really aggressive bull dog style bad temper is a Jason Maas trade mark. It’s unfortunate that special teams coach Corey McDiarmid didn’t express his concern before kicking the field goal. After Jason Mass berated Corey McDiarmid on national television. Right on the sidelines of the last game they played at BC Place Stadium. You could see Corey’s body language that ire as hard for him not to snap Maas in two. If I was Corey or any other Coach under Jason Maas. I would let him wallow in his own decision making. Which is exactly what they did.
    I for one love it when Jason Mass loses his mind on the sidelines and his hat comes flying off. The combination of his sun hidden light coloured bald head. With that Jumbo 3rd down and inches gambling ear package. It’s hilarious to watch.

• What is he supposed to say?? Are you kidding? He should be a man and admit his mistake. Yes, anything CAN happen but he used the excuse of making a stop and getting the ball back in good field position.
      1. FIRST you score and go for the tie.
      2. IF you do not get the first down THEN you try to get the ball back in good position for a SECOND chance to get the tie.
      3. If you make it the first time, you can still make the stop, get the ball back and NOW go for the win but if you do not get the win, you at least give yourself the opportunity in OT.

I agree with the rest of what you say. I have said it since Day One and I continue to say, he is NOT a head coach. As a BC Lion fan, I hope the eskimos do not get rid if his however. I was hoping for Mike Reilly to get another shot at a Grey Cup though. Totally Class Mike Reilly.

• Other possible reasons for the bad decision:
        4. He “maascalculated”.
        5. He “maasspoke”.
        6. He made a “maasstake”.
        7. He is not a “maastermind”

13. Bye Bye , EE #41

14. The CFL definitely needs to investigate.

There are high stakes gamblers in Vegas looking for sports games to bet on (when they tire of cards), and football is easy to understand.

Remember the NBA officials a few years ago. I hope this isn’t a “Pete Rose” situation, but one has to wonder how anyone could be so stupid as to make such an obviously incorrect play call decision at this time of the season.

15. Also puzzling is why no one (coaches, players) questioned the call at the time. Are they all that afraid of Maas? If so, this team has a much bigger problem than losing this game.

16. There can only be three explanations:

1. He simply blew the call – in which case he should admit it and resign.

2. He’s really that stupid, and thought it was only a 6 point lead – in which case, he should resign. (This seems to be his explanation.)

3. There’s more to this (see comments above) and he should resign before there’s an investigation and he is not only fired, but could face criminal charges.

• I highly doubt there is a “Pete Rose” thing here. Maas is just that incompetent.
      If there was illegal activity, how will resigning prevent charges anyway?

17. Ok, so I just watched Maas’ post-game interview on TSN website.

Apparently he had “faith” the team could (a) stop Calgary with a two-and-out, (b) move the ball all the way down the field for a TD, and (c) win the game…in less than a minute in Calgary’s ball park.

He said “it was a decision WE made”. I’d like to know who “we” is? Surely there aren’t two members of the Eskies coaching staff dumb enough to make such a call.

Also, he seems to be pointing the finger at the defence for not making the stop on the powerful Calgary offense, allowing them to get the ball back.

What a moron.

Have a nice day.

• Yet he didn’t have faith that his offence could get four yards in one down. Even if they’d failed, the scenario is the same but with more time and better field position. Nice try, Maas.

• EXACTLY !!!!

Funny, he did not trust them to make 4 yards but he trusted them to drive MORE yards with LESS time?!?!?!?!?!?!

Calgary didn’t win, eskimos lost it.

18. I hope Edmonton signs this fool to a long extension. This has too be one of the dumbest football decisions of all time. What was good about 3 pts lol. Would of been the same thing if they went for it and didn’t make it. You have them deep and you defense has to hold.

19. At the end of the great game the better team and coach still would have won the game.

20. That decision was grounds for immediate dismissal. If I were an Eskimo fan I would feel that everything I had done this season in terms of time commitment and money spent was utterly useless. And his explanation was worse. He pulled a complete Thelma and Louise. Drove off the cliff and hoped that either a parachute was going to open up or that his car would gently bounce and land right side up. Time to just leave Jason.

21. HUGE MAASTAKE…

22. Red&White Forever // November 20, 2017 at 11:16 am //

Yes, it was a huge mistake, but don’t forget the Stamps were leading by a TD at this point. Maas didn’t lose the game for them, he just blew their chance at a possible tie and overtime. I think he made a mistake, look at his body language right after the kick. He blew it and he knew it. Also, what former QB would take the ball out of Mike Riley’s hands when he was effectively moving it? Not to mention the two 3rd and 10 conversions the Esks has made in the previous couple of drives? He must have forgotten about that single, which is totally unacceptable for a veteran former player and coach in the CFL. We’ll never know exactly what happened, because he can’t admit that he blew it. If he ever said “…I thought we were down by 6…”, or “…I made a mistake…” he would lose the confidence of his players and his bosses, and for a coach, that is nonrecoverable. Either way, the two teams that finished on top of their respective divisions, played better, more disciplined football with less mistakes yesterday, and deserved to win, did. I actually called it in my comments on Saturday:
    “Argos chase Glenn, and Bridge plays well but just can’t quite get the job done. Argos.
    Edmonton’s current win streak ends the way their last one did: with a loss at McMahon. Stamps.”

• TOTALLY disagree with, “he can’t admit it.” He CAN and he SHOULD admit whatever error he made. Everyone makes mistakes. You learn from them and move on. I, as a player OR owner, would have WAY more respect and confidence in someone who admits their mistakes than someone who does not. If he sticks with his story, then it was just a dumb call and he will no doubt make more dumb calls, and you (as a player or owner) have no idea what the nature of those will be and when they will come. Maas has lost control and respect, I believe, of his assistants and the players. Those are the ones who CAN’T say the truth for fear of retribution.

• Karlo Berkovich // November 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm //

He knew what the score was. It’s like the Pete Carroll decision in the Super Bowl vs. New England. Score on the pass play, and Carroll’s a genius. Don’t fumble the punt and Edmonton scores and wins, not just force OT, and Maas is a genius. I get the second-guessing, not a fan, a journalist and observer, but it’s all after the fact second guessing though I will credit TSN commentators for raising their eyebrows when it happened. That said, it’s an ‘if’ situation. A questionable, debatable decision for sure but to say it was outright ‘wrong’ is wrong.

• I was watching at a pub and could not hear. My two friends and I, at the same time, looked at each other and said, ‘What is he thinking????” We reacted that way, at the same time, not because TSN or anyone else told us to. It was because WE knew it was a dumb call.

23. Paul Bomber // November 20, 2017 at 11:17 am //

I used to love Jazon Mahsss when he was a player. He seemed to be the ultimate team mate in Ricky Ray’s early days, as the game started to “slow down”. A good guy who managed to build character out of his father’s tragic end.
    But since becoming a coach, his true character has emerged. A backstabbing (Ottawa) “me first” (mic’d up, wearing pink) rage-aholic (head-set smash) moron (yesterday).
    Can’t wait until they run this fool back to the loving arms of tronald dump! (please tell me he hasn’t managed to get a Canadian passport).

24. riderontheisland // November 20, 2017 at 11:39 am //

The only thing more confusing about that call is this statement after the fact. Sorry Jason, take it like a man and admit you made a mistake because the BS doesn’t make sense. Maybe he needs a math tutor?

• Paul Bomber // November 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm //

Nothing confusing about the post game statement to me: it’s a clear expression of his lack of character. The only thing I’m not sure about is whether or not he thinks he actually fooled anyone. Surely not the Eskies board of directors.

• riderontheisland // November 20, 2017 at 2:05 pm //

I don’t see how this doesn’t blow up in his face because there is nothing okay with making a mistake and then lying about it. I should thank him because it took some of the sting out of the Riders loss.

• Paul Bomber // November 20, 2017 at 2:13 pm //

I doubt it’ll cost him his job, BUT… it’s a huge black mark on his record that may cost him if they struggle next year. I’d suggest he built up some brownie points by weathering a ridiculous number of injuries early this year (yeah… you and I both looking for things to take the sting out of various disappointing playoff results)

• Disagree. You should have thanked him for beating the stamps and putting muzzle on that arrogant horsie and his favourite QB, Bo Levi McPuke. Now we have to put up with both for at least another week.

• He’s the scoop. Jason Maas read so many White Horse in Red (Donkey) BS comments here on 3rd down nation. That Jason figured he could use the same piss poor BS’ing and get away with it. Just like Donkey tries to do several times on each article. Obviously both Donkey Donk and Mass are really really bad at trying to get people to believe their pure BS.

25. Karlo Berkovich // November 20, 2017 at 4:12 pm //

I can sort of see his rationale given how the CFL clock works, and had Edmonton not fumbled the punt and gone down and scored Maas would be exonerated, as Pete Carroll would have been had Seattle scored in the Super Bowl against New England. Both decisions, if you really analyze them, are/were arguably sound as are the counter arguments (made after the fact in most cases). That said, if you viewed the post-game presser it seemed as if, though he didn’t say so, Maas was open to being wrong. So credit to him at least on that point. Unbiased observer I do find him a fascinating character such as things are: passionate, temperamental, unhinged, apparently insecure at his baldness and ears hence forever wearing a cap or tuque, but he’s needed in the league for entertainment value alone.

• They’re not really though. Carroll ran instead of passed. Dickenson ran a back up QB wide instead of a massive running back straight ahead in last year’s cup game.

Maas set himself up so that his coverage unit would need to make a stop. Then his defense would. Then his offense would need to march about 60 yards.

Again, if his team does not convert that 3rd and 4…They have to do those things anyway, but from better position because Calgary would start from their 13 yard line. And Edmonton doesn’t need to waste time kicking the field goal and kicking off.

So I think if Edmonton had ultimately scored and won, Maas would have still been criticized for making it as hard as possible on EVERYONE involved. It wouldn’t be as bad, of course, but I don’t think this is a “you’re a genius when it works” scenario.

26. Maas was covering the spread. Cfl investigate now!!! League will not recover if this is uncovered by someone else. Hopefully it is being investigated now and they will have an announcement Monday morning! (Wait til after the big game pls)