Duron Carter fires off Tweet, asks questions at Riders media session

The Ottawa Redblacks match up with the Saskatchewan Roughriders is hardly a traditional CFL rivalry but that doesn’t mean there can’t be a little beef – especially within Duron Carter.

Redblacks defensive back Antoine Pruneau made a little joke at his media availability on Saturday after being asked about Carter’s legendary trash talk game.

“As long as he doesn’t push our coach, it’s going to stay respectful,” Pruneau said.

That’s a reference to Carter bumping Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell after scoring a touchdown during a game in 2016 when Carter was a member of the Montreal Alouettes. He received a one game suspension.

Carter responded to Pruneau on Twitter.

Thing is, Carter’s not wrong. He had five catches for 89 yards in the first game between these two teams on Sept. 29, then went off for 11 catches and 231 yards on Oct. 13, the top receiving game by any player in the CFL league this season. The teams split the season series, with each game decided by just a single point.

Carter then threw a bit more gas on the fire during the Saskatchewan media session – but not while he was at the podium. After he was finished with his press availability, Carter joined the media to ask questions of his defensive teammates.

“We’ve been hearing a lot of talk about these Ottawa receivers, that they might have, maybe, the best receiving corps in the league?” Carter asked.

Riders defensive back Jovon Johnson responded to Carter’s question.

“As far as the Ottawa receivers, Greg Ellingson is probably one of the better receivers in the league but other than that, as far as a receiving corps, I wouldn’t say that they rank in the top two,” Johnson said. “I would say Saskatchewan and Edmonton have the top two receiving corps in the league.”

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1161 Articles)

18 Comments on Duron Carter fires off Tweet, asks questions at Riders media session

1. Riders need to have Carter, their best Offensive weapon, get close to 100 yards but it might be tough to do if he is playing mostly on D where he makes less of an impact.

2. George Porge // November 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm //

Carter’s an entertaining guy. I gotta say, I wasn’t that impressed with him in Montreal and was very skeptical of whether he would keep his attitude in check when he went to Saskatchewan, but I gotta say, he’s proved me wrong, and I really am starting to like the guy.

He reminds me of Nik Lewis when he came into the league. He could easily become the next major face of his franchise, just as Nik did. Riders – you gotta keep this guy around, and his game playing ability is only one (albeit major) part of the reason why.

• justforkicks // November 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm //

Can’t argue with any of that George. As I recall Nik was frowned upon for some early comments and/or antics but I’d still take him on my team as a leader and player with heart. Looks like Duron is coming along nicely. I believe Jones has a large part in that development.

• He’s definitely one of the league’s most entertaining people — has made some terrific plays on the field, and added some life off of it.

Carter will probably always be a bit controversial, but I think he’s picking his moments better now and has also shown us some other sides of himself this past year (his caring side, such as when he gave that TD ball to the girl who had survived cancer and later spent time with her outside Mosaic… also he has become known for good-natured banter with fans in various stadiums). Perhaps he’s found a home, and if he continues to do what he’s been doing in 2017 he should be entertaining CFL fans for a long while.

• Glenn Chernick // November 11, 2017 at 9:23 pm //

I agree with your assessment George, but sometimes I cringe with the stuff he puts out on social media! LOL, and I’m a Rider fan!

3. greenonions // November 11, 2017 at 2:49 pm //

Carter doesn’t mention he had 4 games with 12 yards or less in the first dozen. Or that his 1 big game is 22% of his TOTAL season production. Or his 2 biggest games make up 35% of his production. Talented? Sure. But lousy stats vs the best when you look @ catches vs targets, catches per long balls. If he learned to catch with both hands he may actually win a receiving title some day as he gets a lot of balls thrown his way.

4. CanadaRules // November 11, 2017 at 2:54 pm //

Yeah Duron isn’t the force he is on O when he plays on D. But the guy plays where Jones feels he’s needed. Not many guys are willing and able to do that.

5. I’ll be the first to admit Carter has lasted longer than I thought he would. Although there have been some rough patches; I generally think he’s been a positive for the riders. I think credit does have to go to Jones. From what I can gather Jones meets with him daily just to talk, see what he’s up to and his general mind set. However, to play the devil’s advocate, what is the threshold where the maintenance makes the reward worth it. This is a question no one can answer but Chris Jones. It’s easy for fans to give their 2 cents and I’m sure most rider fans would say “absolutely it’s worth it” but we’re not the ones spending 16-18 hours per day to try to win a 1-hour football game once a week. Jones is busy with many hats. Given the talents of Roosevelt and Holley and the need to start at least 1 Canadian moving forward; does all the time he’s required spend on and with Carter to keep him in a positive mind space make him worth it? Yes, he has had some highlights and yes his pick 6 on Bo will become a CFL legendary tale but is this enough?

6. greenonions // November 11, 2017 at 3:28 pm //

He was only on D the last 3 in which he had 1 catch. He was strictly playing O on the games I mentioned & all those balls he didn’t catch have nothing to do with D. Carter likes to talk about how good he is which apparently started the skuffle at practice in the 1st place. Maybe boasting about his yardage didn’t sit well with some guys since the Riders blew the game. Anyway, maybe he has a big game, maybe not – he was under 50 yards in 6 of his 15 games on offence.

• He’s not targeted on every play of every game. Will be fun to see how Ottawa’s going to try to cover him, Roosevelt, Grant( the president’s 1000 yard club) and Bagg and Owens (13 yards per catch average)… Go Riders!

• Look at the receiving corps… Carter, Roosevelt, Bagg, Grant, Owens, Holley. Etc etc. There is only 1 ball and as much as I respect Glenn and Bridge imagine how terrified opposing defences would be if Mike Reilly for example was the qb.

Carter has proven to be a great team player this year. I hope he doesn’t bolt for the NFL and stays here long term!

7. Stamp I agree with you 100%. My belief is he’s one & done. The fight was quickly dismissed but IF there was a coach involved, rumored to be on the offence, Jones is in a bad position. Do you dump Carter & upset the fans? Keep Carter & risk undermining the coach? Jones said would be handled internally. Maybe the solution was moving him off offence & preserve the peace, which put Carter on the defence for the rest of the season. In the best interests of the club he goes back on offence for the playoffs with the issue to be dealt with in the off season. He goes or the coach goes. Carter’s a free agent. If he is a problem easy to let him go to another team & you can say you tried but couldn’t match. I’m not convinced Carter returns. There may be more to that incident than has been said.

• Since suspending or releasing him didn’t seem to be viable options due roster rules at the time of the incident, I wondered if moving him to defense wasn’t a way to ensure he didn’t meet certain incentives in his contract. Say, if he was due to receive a bonus for reaching 1200 yards, they basically made it impossible for him to do so. A fine in a roundabout way.

If he’s mostly used a receiver today, we’ll get some hint that that might have been the case.

8. solara2000 // November 11, 2017 at 4:53 pm //

Hey! Its about winning but its also about entertaining. DC is a top entertainer and an extremely good football player. Can’t see why he can’t add ‘winner’ to his resume.

9. Yes – Football is Sport Entertainment

10. The Cat fans thought Duron Carter was a waste of time and not worth trying. They believed the solid guys like Tyms and Elliot would be gangbusters in 2017.

11. Oh, and here I thought he quit Twitter to focus on the playoffs.

12. Apparently he doesn’t have to focus on the playoffs. He says the game will just come to him. Right! Explains some of the 12 yard games he has had.