Let’s remember Gord Downie at the 2004 Grey Cup

Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip, has died. He was 53.

This is a football site but like the CFL, Gord Downie was part of this country’s social fabric. The Hip’s music is synonymous with Canada. It’s hard not to feel a sense of personal loss, like something important has been taken from us, the collective us, that can never be returned.

So today, I’m going to listen to some Hip tunes on my way to Ticats practice. I have a feeling a lot of people will, like me, take some solace in the music.

For starters, here’s the Tragically Hip’s performance at the 2004 Grey Cup. This is Gord Downie at the peak of his powers and it’s how I will always remember him.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1521 Articles)

13 Comments on Let’s remember Gord Downie at the 2004 Grey Cup

1. What a loss for Canada. The Tragically Hip are Canadiana, like the CFL, Winter Weather, Maple Syrup and our politeness. We all knew this was coming, but it hurts nonetheless.

2. Rest in Peace, Gord! We’ll miss you and your music.

3. Bunny Muffin // October 18, 2017 at 10:33 am //

Totally agree. Sad we’ll never again here a new song by the most amazing song writer, never again see a live performance. Very sad day. It was nice to see 3downnation recognize that. RIP Mr Downie.

• NotJoshSmith // October 19, 2017 at 4:19 am //

Hold on Bunny. Gord recorded a new double album of solo stuff, it comes out end of October. And pretty sure as well he recorded a bunch of new stuff with The Hip prior to his passing as well.

4. Thanks, but no thanks. The Hip were never that good. They were only on the radio because of the CRTC’s Canadian content rules.

• justforkicks // October 18, 2017 at 11:22 am //

Your taste in music is no reason to disrespect someone at his passing.

• As tone deaf and insensitive as this post is, please don’t feed this troll.

• Bunny Muffin // October 18, 2017 at 1:20 pm //

Why would you make a comment like that? If you’re not a fan, fine. However, I personally don’t think a negative comment like that was necessary.

• riderontheisland // October 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm //

And your only stupid cause your mama dropped you. You seriously believe that crap because in all of my time I’ve never heard anything like that said about the HIP. To say it’s not for you is one things and then I would ridicule your taste, but the CRTC……………

5. I’ve never liked their music, but I do appreciate what he has done. RIP sir, You will be missed by many.

6. Don’t think so Barnmutt.

7. Philip Nicholson // October 18, 2017 at 5:36 pm //

Sad him passing but the Grey Cup is a party, not a wake.

8. That was beautiful Drew, thanks for posting. I love that it was cold enough to see your breath yet Gord’s out there in a short-sleeve shirt like a lineman, while everyone else is in parkas.