Trent Richardson underwhelming but solid Riders debut

Trent Richardson’s CFL debut went a lot like his first games in the NCAA and NFL: underwhelming.

The first time Richardson touched an NCAA field he had three carries for 10 yards in a 34-24 win over Virginia Tech. The first time he touched an NFL field Richardson had 19 carries for 39 yards in a 17-16 loss to the Eagles. Richardson’s final line his first time in a CFL game: five carries for 20 yards in a 27-24 victory.

“It was cool. Of course you want the ball, and of course you want to be on the field, but it was a good start,” the 27-year-old said about his first foray into three-down action.

There was no noticeable difference in speed from practice to game time pace.

“It wasn’t faster, we practice hard and I only know one speed, I’m always running full speed. Anytime if I’m at practice or not, I’m always going full speed,” Richardson said.

Even with the wider and longer field, 12 players and motion, Richardson felt he could get used to the nuances of the CFL game.

“Most definitely. We practice and I’ve been going every rep in practice all the time, so I was used to it,” Richardson said. “Coach prepared me and he’s been grinding with me, he’s been installing in my head making sure I was prepared.”

Even though Richardson was ready for game action, he believes there is some meshing with teammates that still has to take place.

“I don’t know if the guys are used to me yet, but we won and got the outcome we wanted,” Richardson said. “Just everybody, nobody’s ever really played with me except for CJ [Christion Jones] and Duron [Carter]. I’m a gamer man, I just turn into a whole different person, that’s my home out there, that’s my stage, especially game day.”

Two former University of Alabama and current Riders teammates, Jones and Carter helped Richardson get through his first CFL game.

“They keep me there mentally no matter what’s going on. When I feel like I’m supposed to have the ball, they keep me into it. When I feel like I messed up, they keep me into it,” Richardson said. “No matter what they keep me prepared.”

There was no touch count or special packages for Richardson that he knew about, he would have been able to run with the entire offence if called upon.

“We just rotated. It’s always a humbling learning experience, but it’s game over,” Richardson said. “When I used to be at ‘Bama we only got a 24-hour period, but now you’re a professional, so I’m looking forward to next week.”

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (501 Articles)

29 Comments on Trent Richardson underwhelming but solid Riders debut

1. Cool. First interview I know of with him since the game. It must be fun for him to get back into game action. It’s been a long time, a long time between hits too.

2. Out of respect to Joe McKnight I would have liked to have seen Richardson wear another # than 33. Has the significance of his death’s impact on the team passed so quickly? Mylan Hicks was similarly slain & I don’t see anyone on the Stamps wearing his # other than on the helmet im remembrance during some games. I’m not a Rider fan so if I remember McKight’s impact on the team, shouldn’t Chris Jones & the Rider brass?

• I think the Mylan Hicks situation was different. Hicks was murdered in Calgary during the season when a group of players were out at a bar, so it was very much associated with the football team. He was a PR player and no one even knew his number at the time, but after that wearing his number, as a number of players and fans did, became a sign of respect for him. McKnight was murdered in the off season in the US, so it wasn’t associated with football or the team the same way that Hicks’ murder was. And in any event, Christion Jones was wearing that number earlier this year until Richardson came, so that issue came and went with him. They were college teammates and that was Richardson’s number in college.

3. Eddiefelson // October 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm //

Another player that THOUGHT he was too good for the CFL..and was proven otherwise ..

4. Never got much of an opportunity but almost broke a long run without a shoe string tackle..

5. Pleasedo with what I saw. 4 yards a carry game one us OK – he got key first downs and has to drive for it given there was little or no blocking. As Butch said – he was a shoestring away from big yardage. See how he plays at home with another week of practice under his belt.

6. I looked back at the play by play and noticed that he had three carries when it was 2nd and short, one at 2nd and 2 and two at 2nd and 1. He picked up 4, 4, and 5 yards respectively, converting all three to 1st downs.

7. greenenvy? // October 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm //

Riders dead last by a good margin in rushing game, which they may need down the stretch. Too soon to tell if they have one. Picking up yards on 2nd & short 3 times means little as all options are open. 3rd & short, I’d be more impressed because running vs a loaded box. What have we learned about Richardson – not much. Five carries 4.0 avg – underwhelming. Woods, Ball, Laing & Lemon all missing in the lineup – 71 yds rushing. Riders still don’t have a rushing game. If a 4.0 yd avg impresses you, WOW. Can you set the bar any lower? I’ll take those yards ALL day long facing the Riders.

• But we still won… with the worst rushing in the league. Imagine once we get Marshall back. Look the f out.

• Robe – always have to have one or two of these haters let their alligator mouths overload their hummingbird asses huh.

• Nice spin – was his first game and the yards he got were first down yards. Reference our lack of running game….been that way since our #1 back was injured. Sh*t happens – still winning and I hope Richardson silences the critics.

8. greenenvy? // October 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm //

Yes, you won. Against a team without 4 of their top 7 & couldn’t rush against them. You beat Ottawa barely with Lindley & haven’t been able to stop the run. If Richardson is so great, which is what this is all about, why are you already pining for Marshall? You let the cat out of the bag about what you REALLY think. Nice to see we both agree. Tata.

• Guess you have it all figured out coach

• Well horsie, a new name I see. Seems you’re getting the color right at least.

• Donkey… is that you!? If not, you sure have copied horsie quite well. Lol

• 3rd and 1 // October 11, 2017 at 7:54 pm //

maybe take a look at both teams injuries greensplendor. Both teams were without starters. Riders young back up QB beat Ricky Ray. Spin it what ever way you want. Its all a bunch of sour grapes. Hands down the Riders are going to make several teams very nervous come playoff time

9. tigertown // October 11, 2017 at 3:07 pm //

Well, well, what have we here? A confluence of rivulets, little streams of what passes for wit from Gopherville. As the Brits say, 2 cheeks from the same arse. Same hummingbird arses in this case. Have we graduated from insults to metaphors? I am impressed. First down yards – starting with 3 yards on 1st & TEN. Impressive. I can still feel the aftershocks of the succession of 4 yard runs coarsing through my veins here oh so many miles from the scene of battle. Another Wunderkind washed up from Jones’ petri-dish of has-beens hoping to spend as little time in Gopherville as it takes to get “the call”.

10. tigertown // October 11, 2017 at 3:31 pm //

I missed you. Why haven’t you called?

• Only allowed 1 call a day in jail, tigertown. I did write but a few people have mentioned they didn’t get my letters.

11. tigertown // October 11, 2017 at 3:53 pm //

That happens when they change addresses. No message there, I am sure.

• Hmm……only had 2 or 3 return to sender. Kind of hyped because I actually thought somebody sent me mail.

Anyhoo……Richardson didn’t run wild but got necessary yards for first downs. One game doesn’t dictate how he will play moving forward.

12. tigertown // October 11, 2017 at 4:07 pm //

AWW. I feel bad. I get TONS of mail which I dutifully save in my scrapbook, all addressed to me – householder or occupant, of which I’m both. Time for my nap – mother’s calling.

13. tigertown // October 11, 2017 at 4:28 pm //