Riders show guts in win over Hamilton

They don’t ask how, just how many and right now the Saskatchewan Roughriders have six wins on the season thanks to a 27-19 win over the Hamilton Ticats.

For the Riders, it would have been easy to fold the tent on Friday night without starting quarterback Kevin Glenn. The veteran quarterback is the leading candidate for the team’s most outstanding player award nominee. A significant drop off on offence wouldn’t have been that surprising. Instead, they got strong performances from some and just enough from others to make sure that they escaped the steel city with another win, and temporarily a playoff spot.

If missing Glenn wasn’t enough, head coach Chris Jones told reporters after the game that his team dealt with nine different injuries throughout the game, including offensive lineman Brendon LaBatte, receiver Duron Carter and safety Mike Edem. None of these injuries were more significant than the one to LaBatte. The Weyburn native has been an integral part of the team’s turn around in recent weeks after moving to centre for the injured Dan Clark. While the offence wasn’t quite the same, they did enough to win.

Before this night, most of the Riders wins came without much stress down the stretch. Against Hamilton, the Riders showed they can also win the tough one and that’s important because they’ll only get tougher from here.

Game Thoughts

– Oh Canada! What a night for quarterback Brandon Bridge. 3DownNation’s Justin Dunk has been pounding the Bridge drum all season and I’ve been right there with him. While the Canuck’s numbers weren’t mind blowing with just 231 yards passing. However, he did throw three touchdowns and no interceptions. That’s all you can ask for from a guy making his second career start. Bridge has proven now he’s a CFLer, whether he’s a full fledged starter, we’ll see. Either way, Bridge is the first Canadian QB to win a game in 32 years, that can’t be taken away from him. I can’t wait for what Dunk and Drew’s conversation on Bridge this week.

– After the game Bridge showed maturity beyond his years. It would have been easy for a 25-year-old to be proud of himself for his performance. While I’m sure Bridge was, he was still thinking about the big picture. Bridge told TSN’s Matthew Scianitti that he wants to pave the way for future Canadian pivots. Bridge added that a Canadian quarterback should count toward the ratio, and he’s right.

– Again, I don’t get throwing in Vernon Adams in a goal situation but apparently changing the QB in that spot once a game is going to be a thing.

– It certainly seemed like the offence backed off in the second half and tried to put the defence in a position to win the game. They held up their end but it didn’t have to be quite so bad. A running game sure would have helped. Not only would it have helped grind the clock but it would have taken some pressure of Bridge. 41 yards rushing just isn’t enough.

– It is somewhat concerning that for the second win in a row, the offence couldn’t get that one extra touchdown that would have effectively ended the game.  The conservative play calling might have been by nature this week but the same thing happened against Winnipeg a couple of weeks ago too.

– Is there any stopping Ed Gainey right now? The defensive back is on a tear we rarely see in professional football while. Gainey now has three multi-pick games this season. Willie Jefferson is still my guy defensively but Gainey is definitely making the defensive vote interesting.

– Did Brandon Banks take a dive in the end zone in the games dying seconds? Perhaps. It happens though (like players going down to stop the other team) and it didn’t end up changing the outcome. I don’t agree with it (like players going down) but it is what it is.

– It would have been nice for Jones to have a challenge for this call. It might have stood anyway but it was certainly worth more of a look than the one he did throw the flag on. That said, I don’t blame Jones for that decision. In the past, we’ve seen Jones make some poor decisions with his challenge flag. While it was highly unlikely that pass interference would have been called on that pass to Naaman Roosevelt, the flag was thrown at a time in the game where it made sense. It’s difficult to anticipate needing that flag in the final five seconds of the game otherwise coaches would never use them.

– I don’t get Jeremiah Masoli. The Ticats might be better under him right now but he’s never come across as a legit starter to me.

– I didn’t hate the call to pass at the goal line by Hamilton. The size of the CFL end zone still gives you a good probability of converting. I might have thrown in some play action. Ultimately though, if Saunders doesn’t slip we aren’t talking about it.

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson

Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.
Joel Gasson

Latest posts by Joel Gasson (see all)

Joel Gasson
About Joel Gasson (132 Articles)
Joel Gasson is a Regina-based sports writer, broadcaster and football fanatic.

85 Comments on Riders show guts in win over Hamilton

1. Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 9:37 am //

Yeah, Banks dive was laughable, but thats how the league wants it with the current pass interference rules in place.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 9:43 am //

Hamilton should have won

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 9:48 am //

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Edmonton should have won against calgary last week.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 9:56 am //

38 seconds to do..3rd and goal at 5 yard line.TD Calgary. Calgary wins.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:27 am //

Exept Calgary showed heroics, the riders didn’t..Sask didn’t win..Ham lost!!!

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:29 am //

No, edmonton pulled a boner.

• Nope – Edmonton didn’t play well and the chumpeders were “lucky”

• Stop your crap white stallion. Why do you insist on being such a putz. Woulda shoulda coulda. What if Jones hadn’t sat Glen. Then SK would have pounded Hamilton into next week.
            As a lover of CFL football I implore you to stop ruining so many people’s love of reading articles and then having good discussion and debates and rebuttals. Your points are personally driven and often juvinille and scream OCD.
            I can only imagine what your colleagues must have to go through. Honestly, why do you insist on targeting one team over and over and over and over and over and over (shall I keep going) again.
            If you insist on doing that. Then at least stop the juvenile BS.
            In the Calgary EE game. There was a missed head shot to Reilly and had the refs done their job. The EE win…. the fact is it didn’t happen and Calgary won. End of story. Calgary gets 2 points. We all accept that. Now just accept that the Riders won a game with about a third string quality QB and a game that saw 9 players leave the game.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:31 am //

Whatever you say Lancaster.

• Lancaster is absolutely correct. And whenever someone challenges you, your replies are BRUTAL ONE LINERS. ha. You are a joke Horse.

• Nope that should be Hamilton COULD have won – had they made fewer mistakes and not kept turning the ball over. This was a winnable game for them but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

2. If Hamilton should have won, they would have… Idiotic comments from idiotic people haha

3. Lose the turnover battle = lose the game. Simple

4. white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 9:57 am //

I would dare to say many rider fans are stamp fans today. You all need Calgary’s help today don’t you??

• I would dare to say many “stamp fans” will show their true colors today and snuggle up at home rather than attend McMahon. Be too cold for their fairweather fan base

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:09 am //

I just pulled out my Stamps jacket. Will wear it under my Jersey. Don’t worry about me I’ll be fine. We don’t know how riderfans react to the real cold weather. They never have games that time of year.

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:21 am //

We all know how stamps players react to playing in cold weather. They only want to play once a year in the cold.

• Rider fans come from across the Province/and others to sell out games. “chumpederfans” won’t walk from University Heights if it’s below 20°

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:29 am //

Were are all these sellouts in other stadiums Yep????

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 11:27 am //

Yeah..though so..#stop saying things you know aren’t tru

• Was referring home games much like your “home game” today dipshit. Zero comprehension

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 12:03 pm //

You should come out today Yup. I’ll buy you a beer.Beautiful cool fall day, Prefect for football. Even though your team is not in it; you’re a football fan I’m sure you’d enjoy it

• Haha….”a beer” is not in my vocabulary horse. Have been known to hit the odd game – A good friend has had season tickets for years. Always enjoy a few overpriced beer and a spicey dog. Haven’t been the same since Chuckwagon Catering stopped providing concessions after Don Luzzie passed. Looks to be a sunny fall day for ball and no wind (touch wood) so far – hope it’s entertaining.

• *Luzzi*

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 12:52 pm //

Fine I’ll buy you 10 beers

• Now we’re talking.

• Speaking of beer….why the heck are u still on here horse. It’s 11 a.m. I’m damn sure the tailgating is in full swing by now

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 1:40 pm //

I don’t usually tailgate. I’ll head out about 3pm. Park in my usual free spot(although I do have to get there a little early). Wait for my buddies then we head in. Get 50/50s. Hit the Jon and get whatever food/drink we want. We then head to seats in section f. From car to seat I’d guess 15 minutes but I’ve never timed it. After game wait about 5 minutes for crowd to start clearing. Hit bathroom again and out to car. From seat exit to engine start..5 to 10 minutes I’d say.
            Best egress and approach than any cfl fan I bet.

• Nothing like a few free beers and some tailgate grub before the game. However that would increase trips to the can.

My bad though….I had 2 p.m. in mind but that’s the first game

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:36 am //

4 wins 1loss donkey. 4 wins 1 loss. Riders ruined hufnagels decade of dominance.

• RJ Johnson Jr // September 16, 2017 at 10:50 am //

I’ve been to their stadium several times. Woudnt want to go there even on a nice day

5. Very bad day for me. Attend a social with two brothers, One a life long Rider fan the other a life time Stamps fan. Early night if the Flames take it tonight (bah humbug)

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:22 am //

Ok, how do you end of with three brothers all cheering for different western teams? Any sisters cheering for toronto or montreal?

• 1 Sis, no like sports, but I have two sons and one is a Argo’s fan. Grey Cup is always fun around our house, sometimes not so fun!!

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:45 am //

Still dont understand how that can happen. l have 2 brothers, both rider fans even though the one has lived in calgary 30 yrs.

• We were all born and raised in Wpg. I was the only one who had a job where I lived in various locations in Sask for many years. I always wore my BB gear and had to make friends in spite of that (not all people in Sask are reasonable though) but I always tried to had fun. I would also ride on the Rider Greyhound from Swift Current Regina for the labor day classic. 43 Rider fans and me dressed in blue. I was the pinata.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:33 am //

Just watch and cheer on the horse….stop resisting and enjoy

• sounds like you are fortunate enough to enjoy near ideal fan conditions with your tix and game routine. Have a good time!

6. You’re right the stamps might have games that time of year. They just don’t show up to play in them.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:34 am //

Mmmm they won quite a few of you count them

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:40 am //

Lost 4 of 5 to the riders in november. Stamps dont like to play against the riders in the cold. Comes from the gm on down to the coaches and players.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:50 am //

The glorious 4. Most celebrated games in ride history

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 10:58 am //

Actually for me its the 2 grey cup wins in the past decade. Same amount as the stamps. Beating the stamps to get to the grey cup 4 times is just the gravy on top.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 11:30 am //

I think people that read all these comments would beg to differ with you. Beating the Stamps is everything to sask fans

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 11:34 am //

Actually what most people see is a riders obsessed donkey of a stamps fan embarrassing himself with nearly every post.

• Next week when Saskatchewan plays the Stamps will be the test for the Riders.A Rider win will really change the season.

7. Remember bullies and trolls pick on the weak and the helpless now that the rough riders Are no longer weak and helpless the bullies and trolls must be afraid. It’s like when the fat kid with glasses comes back after summer holidays, 5 inches taller with contact lenses. And puts the bully in his place.Mr Curling knows we are now the most feared team in the CFL, nobody wants to play us.Celebrate Rider Nation!

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:36 am //

Clearly Mr curling has early stage dementia

• Mr. Curling have you been playing full contact curling again. I think you ment to say nobody wants to be you! Sorry I need to get ready for tonight’s social (read my previous post) and just to be fair Stamps suck as well, but please win tonight.

8. white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 10:52 am //

If stamps lose today I will come in here tonight and declare my secret love for the riders..thats how confident I am

9. Trolls from kindergarten, self-odsessed. Please comment on the article, not your delusions, hallucinations or paranoid need to be the alpha.

10. Well said Rick. Goooooo Riders!

11. Great gutsy game by the Riders and I loved how Jones stuck up for his team and chastised the media during the scrum. Gotta say that I’m becoming a fan of his.

Regarding the standings with the lions, we can’t worry about what other teams do. I for one hope the lions annihilate the stamps. Can’t stand them or some, not all, of their fans. The Riders control their own destiny.

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 12:19 pm //

Riders control there own destiny?? For 4th place!!
      If you look on riderville there is already a post making excuses as to why Calgary will win next week.

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 12:28 pm //

Donkey, your Riders obsession appears to be limitless. Why would any stamps fan go on Riderville? ALL HAIL THE KING OF TROLLS..

• white stallion in red // September 16, 2017 at 12:36 pm //

What?? I’m just stating what’s there. Go look.

• Lancaster/Reed // September 16, 2017 at 12:44 pm //

Donkey, im not disputing what you say is on riderville, im just wondering why a stamps fan would bother going on riderville. It seems like an unhealthy obsession to read and comment on every rider article that appears on the world wide web. Im not going to go on stampland or whatever the 3-4 stamp fans call their stampeder chat site. I simply dont care that much about the stampeders.
            Ive joked about it in the past but this time im serious. SEEK PROFESIONAL HELP. This obsession is not healthy.

12. The game with all its faults was far superior to these babbling Calgary – Rider fans.Hamilton fans are far more level-headed – I will take Hamilton over these fans anytime.Hamilton’s team may win or lose but our fans are the best.

• Cisco kid: I do like Hamilton and agree that they do have some great fans but there were a lot of empty seats at THF and more than half of the fans that were there couldn’t be bothered to purchase or wear their teams colors. At least those that were there were loud at times.

13. Jake E. Snake // September 16, 2017 at 12:27 pm //

Don’t worry about Horsie everyone. He does suffer from an inferiority complex. You see when the Flames leave Calgary so to will the Stamps given that CSEG could care less about them once the Flames leave.. it will be all good though once the Maritimes gets a team to replace them we can all reminisce about the Stamps and their dozen fans!!

14. Seattle will shortly have an NHL ready rink but Seattle Flames just doesn’t sound right.

15. Rider rooter // September 16, 2017 at 4:11 pm //

Obout the last comment that would be a real shame if Calgary lost the flames. I am a oil fan but losing a Canadian team