Former Stampeder Brandon Browner charged with making threats against a woman

According to TMZ.com former Calgary Stampeders and NFL defensive back Brandon Browner has been charged for allegedly making felony criminal threats against a woman.

Browner was taken into custody in Los Angeles and was released just after 11 p.m. Monday night after posting $50,000 bail.

The 33-year-old Browner played four seasons with Calgary from 2007 to 2011, registering 12 interceptions while being named a three-time CFL all-star. He was also a member of Calgary’s 2008 Grey Cup-winning team.

He then spent three seasons with the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL before spending a year with both the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints. He played in 61 career regular-season games with 12 interceptions winning two Super Bowl championships and a Pro Bowl selection.

Browner last NFL action came in 2016 when he was released by Seattle during the pre-season.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1106 Articles)

42 Comments on Former Stampeder Brandon Browner charged with making threats against a woman

1. white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 1:19 pm //

Browners most amazing skill was his down field coverage on special teams

2. Must have hung out with Joffrey Reynolds. I wonder how much Calgary hide from the public.

3. Hide as much as any other team.

4. white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 1:32 pm //

Both Reynolds and Browner were FORMER stamps when these happened.
    It’s like saying the Buffalo Bills were complicit in the OJ murders

• Your argument is lame. You spew your vile comments regarding Cox and how low the Riders, Coach Jones and most of SK was to even bring him to camp. I see no difference whether they were active or not, the point is, despite their weak character, they were still stamps. Of course your red fog wouldn’t allow you to see it that way, or worse yet, you conscientiously chose not to.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 2:50 pm //

You see no difference in signing a player with a history of violent criminal activity vs having a player get into legal trouble after they’ve left your organization?

That’s… um.. mighty myopic…

• Character issues are Character issues. Whats your point George? WE as fans don’t know for sure what was happening in the background. Huffy has been covering his tracks quite well.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 3:49 pm //

My point is that an organization has no control over a player after they have left the organization. An organization has plenty of control over a player that they are considering signing to a contract. Only one of these is a situation that reflects directly on the moral compass of the organization as a whole.

• Totally agree with you RobE. Felons are felons, doesn’t matter if it is during or after their tour of duty with a team. Speaking of which I wonder how Tommie Campbell is doing these days? I take it the fellas probably chipped in and got him another backpack…or maybe he’s just carting his stuff around in a couple of Safeway grocery bags?

• Sorry George, but myopic applies to you and your stump fans. Just pointing out that you and your crew are sick with rage for all things Riders, good and bad, and so when the shoe is on your foot, it’s covered with some bs hog wash to once again justify your singular view on things.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 3:45 pm //

In other words “my shit don’t stink and you’re teh biased against my Riders.”

Seriously, the whole “I know you are but what am I” routine got old after the fourth re-run of Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

• I gotta ask these questions! Seems to be a trend growing now.. Huffy bringing in thugs… His hands might not be as clean as Horsie makes him out to be.

• white stallion in red // September 12, 2017 at 2:27 pm //

learn facts… Reynolds was hear long before Huff. In fact he was put in neg list by Matt Dunigan

• A pot is still a pot. These guys had character problems while they were with the stamps. Are you saying they were model citizen’s while there? I highly doubt that. They were still signed by huffy when contracts expired. Again how much has the stamps organization hid from the public? You seem to make something out of nothing, this situation is no different.

• Save your key strokes RobE, dense is dense and nothing will change the mind when it is closed off and petty small. It just really sad how pathetic the group of stump fans around this site make themselves out to be.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm //

“Save your key strokes RobE, dense is dense and nothing will change the mind when it is closed off and petty small.”

I gotta agree with you there, Ladd Law. It’s pretty funny how some people lack the basic self-awareness to realize that they are doing the exact same thing that they are criticizing others for doing.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 4:09 pm //

“A pot is still a pot. These guys had character problems while they were with the stamps. Are you saying they were model citizen’s while there?”

If they had character problems while playing with the Stampeders, then I guess the fact that they avoided getting into legal trouble while they were still playing for the Stampeders is a testament to the culture of self-discipline that is fostered within that organization, isn’t it?

So I guess the difference between the Stampeders organization and the Riders organization is that the latter effectively deals with players who have character issues, while the latter actively invites players into the fold who have character issues.

Again, I’m not sure why, but you really seem to be missing a very stark, not-at-all subtle contrast here. Ironically, it is you and Ladd Law who are calling other commenters “dense” and “biased” for seeing this very obvious difference because it doesn’t agree with your own bias.

• Slow clap for George….
            Wow! He finally gets it!! What kind of prize do we have for him today!?

George.. I’m trolling the troll sir..
            the fact that it took this long for you to realize.. is kind of sad. You know what… if you got sick of this, why not say something to horsie as well? Oh Thats right! You won’t! Grow a pair and call everyone out, not just a couple.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 5:52 pm //

“the fact that it took this long for you to realize.. is kind of sad.”

I gotta hand it to you there, RobE. Your feigned ignorance is so indistinguishable from your usual comment style that I bet nobody can tell the difference between you writing a serious comment and you just trolling.

I gotta agree with you – it certainly is sad.

“if you got sick of this, why not say something to horsie as well?”

I’m not saying I’m sick of this. I’m saying that you’re making yourself look like an idiot. Apparently that was your intention. Well bravo, I guess.

As for Horsie – exactly what should I be replying to him about? His comment about Browner being a good special teamer, or his comment pointing out the fact that Browner’s charges come six years after leaving Calgary? Either way, you’re hardly one to be calling Horsie a troll, RobE. I have yet to see you take the higher ground in any comment thread. So kindly stuff your “trolling the troll” BS.

• Is this the only story you’ve read on this site? Horsie making ONE comment about Browner being actually politically correct… What about the rest? Are you that oblivious?
            Also why should I be the one to take the high road sir?
            He’s the one constantly bantering a team I’ve cheered for my whole life.. Spending thousands of dollars on. Spend my off time reading, listening, watching anything Riders. They are like a part of the family. I guarantee that you take shot at one of my family members, you better watch yourself. I’m not going to sit idle while he continues to do this, not happening.
            So if you don’t like what you are reading or whats being said.. I can only ask you to read on.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 6:41 pm //

My gosh the melodrama with you is palpable, RobE. I can almost hear your fist pounding the desk as you type.

Seriously dude, take your own advice. The only difference between you and Horsie when it comes to the quality of your comments is that Horsie doesn’t go around trying to pretend his shit doesn’t stink. You are just as relentless as he is when it comes to bashing the Stampeders – the only difference is that you are the one constantly throwing your hands up in the air in a “who me?!” motion like a cornerback who tackles a receiver three seconds before the ball arrives.

Your constant blaming of Horsie for your own trolling is getting old. Like seriously, grow some nads and own your shit for once.

• White Horse // September 12, 2017 at 8:27 pm //

You rider fans are totally pathetic.
            Give it a rest. You are just
            beaking off with hypotheses. Pure conjecture! Does it make you feel better?

• Boy – the scarlett donkey sure gets saddle sore when you bring up his team. But it’s his absolute pleasure to continually bash the Riders.

• But they learned their behavior while with the Stamps. It only came to the surface later. Big black eye for the Stamps. When will they learn how to teach our youth how to behave???? Typical Calgary thing.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 4:16 pm //

Yep. We implant the “go hit a bitch” chip into all of our players while they are in Calgary, and then activate it when they leave in the off chance that they get picked up by another team.

Exhibit A: Dwight Anderson.

• And don’t forget exhibit B: Lawrence Phillips who was brought in after major problems domesticly in Montreal yet they still took the “bring in the drug addict to run the drug house” route with their recruiting. Classy.

• George Porge // September 12, 2017 at 5:11 pm //

Calgary’s signing Lawrence Philips while he was facing sexual assault charges is a blight on Calgary’s history. You’ll get no dispute from me on that. It just goes to show that even 14 years later, actively recruiting players with a known history of being garbage human being can continue to haunt an organization.

To that end, maybe somewhere around 2031, CFL fans will stop talking about people like Justin Cox and Khalif Mitchell in relation to the Riders’ organization.

• And what about Campbell.

• It wasn’t my Stampeder backpack officer

• Nope…there’s some other Stump player with a Stump backpack living beside me…I don’t know his name though…LOL!!

• George Porge // September 13, 2017 at 7:53 am //

Glad you brought up Tommy Campbell. I think the events that unfolded in the off season with regard to Tommy Campbell should be an example for the rest of the CFL teams to follow.

I mean, here is a guy that was caught red handed with a backpack with his own team’s insignia on it (hundreds of miles from where that team is located, with no other member of that team living probably anywhere close by. Like, there is no way that backpack wasn’t his) full of crack cocaine, running from police. Of course, he was arrested and charged.

Absolute slam-dunk case for the DA in Campbell’s case. He would be in jail right now.

Good thing the Stampeders have a deal with the DA of every state in the US of A to let off all their players for obvious drug offences. It is probably a very expensive deal, what with all the lawyers fees and the bribing of officials and what-not. But a team like the Stampeders can afford it. I’m sure other CFL teams can, as well.

I mean, that has to be the only reason why he’s walking free right now, right? There can be no possible other explanation why the charges were dropped only a couple of months later, despite all of the hard evidence against the guy. Somebody was obviously paid off.

Football is big business. Even prosecutors in the United States understand this. Grease the right palms, you can get away with murder. Or at least crack dealing.

5. All you see and read about are these domestic charges on NFL players. Sad.Imagine what the CFL bashes would say about this if it was in our league?Oh lets not forget about deflated footballs in the mighty billon dollar league as well. Only in the U.S.

• justforkicks // September 12, 2017 at 5:19 pm //

Underinflated balls and over inflated egos, salaries, perception. I hope the CFL gets their attendance issues resolved. I watch a little NFL at season end but celebrate the start of CFL!

6. Browner had pursuit in his veins and tackling ability when he got to the ball carrier, DA eh excuse me his partner on the other side was his equal and in Calgary demonstrated why Browner was with the SeaHawks. As a matter of fact he scooped up a Giant one yard on the SeaHawks fumble and returned it 99 yards for a TD.

7. To funny, AS SOOOOON as I saw the title of this story I knew you guys were gonna tuen this one into a shit show and a half.

8. Another example of a talented athletic SCREWING UP HIS LIFE after hitting the big time in the NFL. Used the CFL to get back to the NFL so no fault of the league or Calgary in what he did years after the fact. Never seems to amaze me how these guys mess up their lives and the effects on their families means nothing to them.

9. CFLs Best since 1990 // September 13, 2017 at 3:05 am //

I think everyone has different degrees of intelligence.

I appreciate George Porge’s thoughtful insights, but honestly, there are two or three absolute boneheads here who enhance nothing while subsequently and incessantly dragging discussions into the mud. They offer nothing; well, other than negative value to the conversation.

Their arguments are incredibly shallow, annoyingly lame, and ultimately laughable. Please get a clue, little children. Yeesh. Must everyone who cheers for a different team be attacked and conquered at all costs? Or only for a specific, different team? Doesn’t matter… Grow up!!

Ignorance is only bliss until awareness shatters it. It gets much, much harder to swallow that ignorance thereafter. Sad part is, those idiots probably won’t be able to grasp what I’m attempting to say… making this moot. And therein lies the bliss, which could remain for them if they keep their eyes and ears closed. I guess we need to know that for these boneheads, greater understanding may never come.

• Please say the names. If you are going to call one out, why not call the rest out? Cmon George and CFLs best. Grow a pair and say it. lol
      Let me guess.. You’re not going too. God forbid someone does it to your team eh? Like I said… You guys are no different than any of us. Welcome to the new and improved 3downnation! 😉

• Way to illustrate the point there, RobE.

• George Porge // September 13, 2017 at 8:27 pm //

Some people are smart enough to know if best is referring to them in his post. Those who have to ask probably lack the mental fortitude to participate in an intelligent conversation anyway, so calling them out isn’t exactly going to improve the quality of their comments.

There’s nothing to be gained by giving any more notoriety to clowns who lack introspection.

10. rider rooter // September 14, 2017 at 11:06 am //

Not a article in my opinion. A former player that made poor choices