He’s Bo Levi & you’re not: Stamps find a way against Esks

On the same night UFC 215 was taking place at Edmonton’s Rogers Place, there was another rather intense battle brewing down the road at Commonwealth Stadium.

Marquay McDaniel’s touchdown catch in the final minute proved to be the difference as the Calgary Stampeders extended their winning streak to seven games, sweeping their home-and-home series with a 25-22 victory over the Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday.

The Stampeders remain in first place in the CFL with a record of 9-1-1.

“It was punch for punch,” said Calgary quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

“At first our defence was the one throwing the punches for us and on the last drive the offence was able to get in there and throw a haymaker. I said all week that whoever had the ball in their hands at the end would probably win this game.”

Calgary head coach Dave Dickenson agreed that the game felt like a slug-fest.

“There was nothing pretty about it,” he said. “There was a lot of fight from both teams, maybe even a little over the edge a bit at times. Neither team gave up and kept on fighting. We’ll take the two points and win No. 9 is big for us.

“To sweep this series and take the season series against Edmonton is big.”

Edmonton has dropped four straight games to fall to 7-4.

“I’ll just say this, losing sucks,” said Eskimos head coach Jason Maas. “There’s no other way to put it, losing sucks whether you lose by one, 40, or two. That’s all I can say about it.”

The game was a defensive battle to start until Calgary got on the board with a 19-yard Rene Paredes field goal with 2:23 left in the opening quarter after the Stampeders got the ball deep in Edmonton territory due to a bad snap on a punt.

Edmonton responded shortly afterward to start the second quarter, as Derel Walker took the handoff on a reverse and scored on a two-yard touchdown run. The convert kicked missed, but it was still the Eskimos’ first lead in more than three games at 6-3.

The Esks added a 26-yard Chris Milo field goal on their next possession, before Calgary came back with a 39-yard three-pointer of its own.

Calgary surged back into the lead with 47 seconds left in the first half as a 48-yard pass from Mitchell to Marken Michel set up a one-yard unconverted TD plunge by Andrew Buckley to make it 12-9 at the break.

The Eskimos tied the game on a 21-yard Milo field goal midway through the third, but Calgary came back with another one-yard TD by Buckley, again unconverted.

Edmonton QB Mike Reilly came back into the game after being removed for a suspected concussion and threw a 67-yard pass to Brandon Zylstra, setting up another field goal.

The Eskimos jumped back in front with 1:36 remaining in the fourth when Duke Williams reeled in a Reilly pass, bounced off a defender and scored a 34-yard touchdown.

However, Calgary marched down field in the final minute, completing a five-yard TD pass to McDaniel on a third down-gamble with just 35 seconds remaining.

Edmonton had a chance to tie it up on a 47-yard field goal attempt with time expired, but Milo was wide.

Both teams are back at it next Saturday, when the Eskimos travel to Toronto and the Stampeders play host to the B.C. Lions.

Notes: The game marked the return of Eskimos all-star receiver Walker, who rejoined the team this week after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Walker was CFL rookie of the year in 2015.

66 Comments on He’s Bo Levi & you’re not: Stamps find a way against Esks

1. white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 12:50 am //

WOW!…..that was a war, with casualties in both sides. Edmonton was dumb and Calgary was smart which is all part of what makes us good. They found a way. This team will play however the opponent wants to play…..and we will win. Period.

2. rider rooter // September 10, 2017 at 12:54 am //

Good game. To watch but I feel the state of officiating is in disarray. The calls are not consistent from game to game. Shots are being taken at quarterbacks and ther is no roughing being called. Calgary was gifted one touchdown with interference call. I hope they get this figured out. It is affecting the results.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 12:58 am //

The call go both ways.. today I’ve heard the riders lost because of officiating and Calgary won because of officiating…hogwash

• As a Rider fan I can tell you the reffing in the game might have been a bit suspect, a few iffy calls but that is not the reason the Riders lost. They lost to team that was much better than them in the game much like the previous week the Riders were the better team.

• Yes, fully agree. The very questionable pass interference call in the endzone when the Winnipeg receiver tripped on the turf. A very questionable horse-collar tackle by (I believe) Edem of the Riders on a Blue Bomber punt return. Two Blue Bomber offsides that were missed totally by the sideline judge — one that resulted in a Leggatt interception return for a touchdown; the other being a 4-yard run by the Roughriders on second and one. In total, Saskatchewan had 8 penalties in the first half compared to 0 for Winnipeg. The penalties certainly appeared to be one-sided. All-in-all, Winnipeg was the better team on this day, but the amateurish officiating crew by Andre Proulx (my favourite, sarcastically speaking) made several fans shake their heads in disbelief. Again, kudos to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for a well-deserved victory.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 5:28 pm //

So you say you don’t blame the refs then you turn around and do

• horsee, what are you talking about? Please inform me where I didn’t blame the refs and now I do? I sure want to know.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 6:13 pm //

Where do you blame to refs? Gee let me restate what you just said.
            Missed PI in endzone
            questionable horse collar
            2 Bomber offsides
            8 penalties in first half to Winnipegs 0
            Amateur officiating

You did nothing BUT blame the refs

Then you end it all by congratulting the bombers. Pretty empty congratulations after that rant

• greenrider89 // September 10, 2017 at 6:41 pm //

Are you dumb, or just dumber? I explained quite clearly some of the bushleague officiating done by Andre Proulx and his co-horts. Did I not explain that quite clearly? In addition, I congratulated the Blue Bombers for a deserving victory. The Bombers played quite well. The officiating left a lot to be desired. What are you trying to tell me? Maybe you need to see a professional.

• My apologies horsee for getting carried away with my emotions. Take care.

• I have no idea why my response triggered moderation – are we not allowed to use the name of Calgary’s head coach because the first four letters spell a naughty word? Hopefully it gets reviewed and approved speedily.

3. Maas’s stupid tantrum set an example for his team, the throat-slashing gesture that extended the Calgary drive is a direct consequence of that.

4. Just saying // September 10, 2017 at 1:22 am //

Jason moss, just gotta laugh

5. rider rooter // September 10, 2017 at 1:26 am //

I was not talking about the rider game horse. Like I said helmet to helmet contact after the ball is gone and no call.

6. 3 TDs and 3 picks? Mitchell played like garbage. But a good team overcomes the poor play of a QB, thankfully.

That said, Edmonton, Maas, has not won ONE game since the challenge rule was changed. Coincidence? Not.

As for Reilly, Maas, concussions don’t often show up for days. Wanting Reilly back in wasn’t going to win it anyway. Your entire team is smoke-and-mirrors. You’ve beaten Ottawa twice, Hamilton twice – once on the last play of the game – BC on the last play of the game on a challenge flag…

Oh, and your comments about losing all your challenges against Calgary is just garbage. The only coach as classless as you and would make such a comment is Chris Jones.

I said at 7-0 you’d end up 3rd. I now move that to 4th. 7-0 and you’ll be lucky to get the crossover. HAHAHAHA.

7. white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 1:33 am //

Wow. Maas post game remarks. What a clown. I’m not sure he last long…in so many words he said the concussion protocol is stupid.

• Not a fan of either team but I understand Maas’s frustration Horsie. Calgary player nails Riley in the chin and no penalty then add insult to injury and the upstairs ref pulls him out? Dont be blinded by your own team. For the league to survive all teams must thrive. Said before you are not a true fan of the league.

8. This might be the beginning of the end for Maas, who knows. Calgary can play poorly and get away with it , until it counts, that’s when the big choke happens. Celebrate while you can Tramp fans

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 9:53 am //

Lolol….sounds like your lips are puckering. You are eating a bowl of sour grapes. Playoffs? They are a long way off. Speculating Calgary will choke then is a waste of time and energy. Live in the now

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 12:55 pm //

Dave comments like that are not going to be tolerated

9. Horrible call on Reilly having to leave the game for 3 plays. Drew Tate, yes,

10. If YOU respect the protocol, then you must respect the fact he took a head shot.
    If you take that one step further, there should have been a penalty. DO you not respect the rules of protecting the player from a head shot?

As I said, when they took away all but one challenge, that was a stupid act of desperation with a purpose of accomplishing nothing but making it look like they accomplished something. The only thing it accomplished is that the command centre is only allowed one bad call a game. What a joke !!!

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 9:58 am //

Not so BC Dave. A players head can hit the turf too. I will have to see it again but as I remember the contact was in the chest. Regardless of a penalty or not…..Calagry would have found a way :)…….you Ready for next Saturday BC Dave? Bc in historic Mcmahon. Tall order

• We will be ready but if we win, I will not as arrogant as stamp fans are on here thinking they are God’s gift to football. ( and Please, no non believers coming on putting down those who do like in the thread about Wally’s faith. sick.)

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 1:49 pm //

Good luck next week 🙂

• Red&White Forever // September 10, 2017 at 5:13 pm //

Huge respect for Wally, especially with what he’s done/is doing with the Lions. That franchise was in total disarray when he arrived and look at what he built. As for being arrogant, when The Stamps are clearly the best in the league (by far), and have been for multiple seasons, I can understand why the constant talk about wins/winning can seem that way. (Please disregard Horse, he’s the exception, not the rule when it comes to Stamp fans.) Every story needs to have a villian, and for 8 other teams, as well as their fans, it’s the Stamps. They’re ALWAYS at the top and easy to hate. Just like the Yankees, or the Cowboys used to be.

11. I agree with reducing challenges to one per game if the officiating improved, but it didn’t, so we are still left with frustration. But as Chris Jones pointed out, Calgary was making a mockery out of challenge process. And Chris Jones is a Grey Cup winning coach. As for Reilly he jumped up after the hit and was ready for the hurry up offense before being told to leave the game for 3 plays.

12. I suppose the other side of the coin against my argument is that you can increase the challenges to 10 per game but if the command centre keeps getting the call wrong, what’s the point.

What is unfortunate is that the league sole purpose was to make the games faster but they keep getting the wrong results from the wrong calls but guess what…It’s over faster folks !!! If it is that important to get it over faster. make it 40 minutes instead of 60 or let’s not play at all. CAn’t get faster than that !!! Idiots. Same as the corporate world I suppose. New guy comes in and f eels he has to change something just to justify his position and give the appearance he is making things better. Like Frank Rigny used to say about hail Mary passes, 3 things can happen folks and two of them are not good. Well same here, can make a change for the better, make a change where none needed or make a change which is the wrong change.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 1:50 pm //

I only bring up the past ( not 100 years but 25) when riderfans try to claim their success is the same as ours.

13. Calgary’s a great regular season team… but always a “C” for choker when it comes to the playoffs or the Grey Cup… heck last year they made it look as though Hufnagel should have kept Burris… LOL… while it’s disappointing to lose the game… come playoffs it will always be much more satisfying to watch Bo and Dave arguing over the last play call…

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 10:03 am //

A really go esks go?
      So while you sit back with satisfaction of watchibg Calgary Choke again where wile the esks be?

• The difference is fans like you , acting like you’ve won something, when in fact the Stamps are just the last loser of the season. you give no respect to Ottawa , who kicked your ass last November. Satisfied with losing? Never, maybe Stamp fans are fooled into it.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 11:29 am //

Last year was last year. To say Ottawa kicked our ass is a little strong. I seem to recall Overtime!
          The Stamps are the best. That’s hard to argue. In fact in the true sense of the term “team” this one might be the best in history. Don’t think that’s a stretch.

• When you consider how much of a favorite the Stamps were, I would say that you guys got it handed to you.

• Then why do YOU always bring up past years? Oh wait, never mind. I just figured it out. TYOu go back 100 years picking out the Wins ONLY cuz they matter but when they lose, it’s suddenly history.

Talk about manipulating data !!!

• George Porge // September 10, 2017 at 2:30 pm //

“When you consider how much of a favorite the Stamps were, I would say that you guys got it handed to you.”

By that logic, so did the Eskimos (aka – first crossover team to surely make it to the big show) the week before. Only difference between those two games is the Eskimos were completely dominated from start to finish. Calgary was dominated from start until Half Time.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 11:56 am //

Yeah well. Regardless. I’d worry about this year not last. Just saying “Calgary will choke again” holds no water at this point.

• George Porge // September 10, 2017 at 2:31 pm //

“come playoffs it will always be much more satisfying to watch Bo and Dave arguing over the last play call…”

I guess if you’ve already given up on any idea of progressing through the playoffs, watching a rival to choke is the next best thing. Esk fans must be in a very sad place right now.

• Red&White Forever // September 10, 2017 at 5:20 pm //

I believe they have been for the last few weeks. I was up at Commonwealth for Guns N Roses just before Labour Da. On a trip to the bathroom (great facilities, BTW, destroys McMahon) someone yells: “Go Eskies!”, and in my “lubricated” state, forgetting exactly where I was, I yelled out: “Gonna get their asses kicked on Monday!” and… nothing. Not a response, not even a “bulls**t”. Absolute dead silence. That was the moment I realized they WERE going to get their asses kicked on Monday, and probably lose the rematch too!

• That is funny, I did the same thing in prehistoric McMahon, only in reference to the choking thing and there was no reply. And they did choke a week later. lol.

• Red&White Forever // September 10, 2017 at 6:49 pm //

Funny how that works. Fans can be prescient at times. I wouldn’t call single game elimination a choke. I would call it “odds”. Sometimes, no matter how good you are, the odds catch up to you. Sometimes, at the most inopportune time. As a season ticket holder (21 seasons), I would still take 2 GC appearances and 1 (2?) regular season home losses over the last few seasons instead of the alternative: watching losses at games I pay to attend, and watching another team play in late November. Call it a choke if you want, I call it “football”.

• George Porge // September 10, 2017 at 10:10 pm //

Very well said, Red&White. I really don’t understand why fans of other teams like to keep banging on the “choke” train so often. The whole thing just reeks of envy from fans who don’t get the privilege of seeing their teams play in the post season as often as we do.

14. white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 10:07 am //

So now everyone is saying 1 challenge isn’t enough?? NO KIDDING that as my argument when they implementing thus. It’s going to cost teams

• In the long run, bad calls for or against any particular team even out. Fans only remember bad calls that go against their team.

I would be just as happy to eliminate all coaches challenges and the command centre. All that the system has accomplished is to shine a light on officiating and make it seem even worse than it is.

• Disagree Leo. Hi Def replays do that too. Sometimes even a normal replay will do that when the call are bad enough. Let’s not go back to cave man days. WE have technology to get the right call. let’s get the right call. Problem is the idiots using the technology STILL cannot see what is before their eyes.

15. white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 12:37 pm //

IMO. Winning the way we did last night is way more valuable than winning like we did on labor day. The stats aren’t pretty but winning “Hollywood style” doesn’t really indicate character nor does it build it. Winning
    “Brooklyn Brawler” style really show what you’re made of and will pay dividends when the chips are down.

16. Cant believe that Singleton did not get a UR call on the out of bounds hit with seconds left in the game.

17. Is BO Levi a fraud or what, Cowtown wins despite his bad play. doesn’t look injured. Maybe the Stamps will be in on the Franklin sweepstakes. That team would be a force with a genuine QB.

18. I am SOOOOOO glad he is not our QB. Win or lose, I cannot stand him and would HATE to see him as our QB. He is so arrogant and full of himself that I’d be embarrassed to have him on my team. I”d rather struggle with the guy we had. Wins might be harder to come by but they would be sweeter when they do come.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 1:58 pm //

Well then you should be happy. Because I doubt he will ever be anything but a Stampeders (at least in terms of CFL).
      It also appears you ARE struggling with the guy you have 😉

19. White Horse // September 10, 2017 at 2:16 pm //

It seems all the fans supporting losing teams are the ones blaming officiating…BC Dave etc are a bunch of whiners.

20. 1 terrible missed call, then Edmonton gave the game away. Stupid throat slash penalty lost them the game. A reflection in their stupid coach who can’t control himself. Calgarly’s qb looked like hot garbage but still managed to win despite his poor play. Ya blew it Eskies.

• white stallion in red // September 10, 2017 at 2:53 pm //

Calgary found a way. Bad calm or don’t Calgary would have found a way. They always do

21. I forgot to mention Singletons dirty hit out of bounds. The refs blew it too! And don’t get me started on Andre Proulx.

22. You make a living whining on here, from sun up to sundown, Ive accused you of being incarcerated because you look like you have nothing else to do. Is Cowtown that lifeless, go downtown and count the empty buildings.lol.

• George Porge // September 10, 2017 at 3:03 pm //

Not sure if you’re in Edmonton or Saskatchewan, dave, but either way, empty office buildings in Downtown Calgary bodes just as badly for you as it does for we. You might want to hold back your enthusiasm for our bad economic luck.

23. George Porge // September 10, 2017 at 3:00 pm //

This win wasn’t on Bo Levi. He had one or two great plays near the end (which, I’ll admit, made the difference), but the Stampeders looked off kilter all game. Reilly certainly played better than Bo, however football is the ultimate team sport, and the team ultimately won it.

It was an ugly win, but I’ll take it.

24. It was a lowball comment meant for certain people, I apologize to decent Calgarians