CFL community reacts with outrage to Ticats hiring of Art Briles

The CFL community reacted angrily to news that former Baylor head coach Art Briles, who was fired over his handling of alleged sexual assaults at the school, has been hired as an assistant coach by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

A sampling:

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1524 Articles)

33 Comments on CFL community reacts with outrage to Ticats hiring of Art Briles

1. cvmurrieta // August 28, 2017 at 12:57 pm //

Wow! The reactions didn’t take long! Good to see that people are outraged by this.

2. So, how long ’till he’s “unhired”?

3. I hope the fans become just as outraged that the Tiger Cats have Eric Tillman (plead guilty to sexual assult against his 16 year old babysitter) for a GM.

• George Porge // August 28, 2017 at 3:16 pm //

The Tillman situation, as bad as it was, is absolutely *nothing* compared to what happened at Baylor. Not even close.

• your kidding right? Tillman should have known how this would look and vetoed it. He shouldn’t be in the league either.

4. Tiger-Cats will not be taking anymore of my hard earned dollars. Just wish I could get my money back on the remaining games I have as a season ticket holder.

This club has hit rock bottom.

Bob Young, are you really this clueless?

• I’m not ready to throw Young under the bus quite yet. Some say that the mark of a good owner is to hire football people and let them do their jobs. He did, and they let him down.

I would expect him at some point to call someone and ask “Why is my Twitter account blowing up, exactly?” and step in. Let’s see how it plays out before jumping on Young.

5. I have always been a fan of the Tiger-Cats and even knew Kent Austin on a personal basis when he quarterbacked the Roughriders. The Ti-Cats, since I was a kid, always reminded me of overachievers. This team fought and clawed for every victory. Who will ever forget the 39-15 thumping they handed the heavily-favoured Eskimos in the ’86 Grey Cup classic? The Tiger-Cats have a solid history to be proud of including the addition of several ex-Roughriders over the years — Fantuz, Xavier Fulton, John Chick, Craig Butler, etc. I’m disappointed the Tiger-Cats would resort to hiring Art Briles as an assistant coach after the CFL promoted Diversity is Strength. And to look at the Roughriders releasing Justin Cox, this undoes everything the CFL has promoted. A sad shame of affairs in Hamilton. Thumbs are down.

6. Tillman, now Briles… who’s next? WOW! I wonder how the caretaker feels about this and how it’s going to impact the bottom line.

7. Well, they certainly didn’t handle the PR very well on this. Would that have been the GM’s job? That would have been something, seeing Eric Tillman explain why hiring Briles is the right thing to do. Nonetheless, I suspect that it is. If you laid out all the facts clearly I suspect that this is a case there Briles deserves a second chance. Tillman, no, but Briles I suspect does.

8. solara2000 // August 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm //

Ticat fan. CFL fan. At a loss for words.

9. IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm //

We learn from our past mistakes. This is the league of second chances and I don’t see why he shouldn’t get one

10. TicatsFan46 // August 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm //

I am wondering how many of the people calling for this to be nullified by the league are the same people that were encouraging the Ti-Cats to sign Johnny Manziel 2+ weeks ago. Manziel, remember, has his own history of legal troubles, including a domestic assault case in 2016.

11. LOL epic fail by the Tiger-Cats. It’s one thing to bring in personnel who can help the team, but when they have a history like this man it just doesn’t make it right.

We all know sports organizations have no shame when it comes to winning games, but the CFL needs to ensure this mistake is reversed and ensure no teams encourage these signings in the future. Hopefully the Tiger-Cats understand their mistake and make it right. ASAP!

12. john young // August 28, 2017 at 2:32 pm //

game set match throw the challenge flag who is next paul bernardo this franchise has hit rock bottom fans should stay away until this mess is cleaned up..

13. White Horse // August 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm //

What the heck…our Canadian borders are wide open to anyone who chooses to enter illegally! We have a government who could care less and it is no different with the CFL? Tillman, Newsome who C. Jones brought into the league. NFL reject with a serious past and even Jones could not get along with him. So, away he goes to Ottawa. Now a Redblack. How safe are we in this country and morally as well?
    The CFL seems to turn the other way for these people to enter Canada.

• You forgot to add, Tommy Campbell, who for some reason still manages to play football in the CFL. Yet, for some reason, 3downnation’s story about him running from law enforcement with a bag of dope still does not answer several questions as to WHY he is still playing and not in jail? No follow-up story, to my knowledge, has ever been completed. Funny, isn’t it, White Horse? Maybe another controversy underneath exists in the CFL? Just sayin’.

• George Porge // August 29, 2017 at 10:46 am //

This has been talked about to death when it happened, greenrider89. If you chose not to read it then, you don’t deserve an explanation now. Open up the Google and educate yourself. The Campbell saga ended about as quickly as it began.

14. Eddy Rayner // August 28, 2017 at 2:52 pm //

These comments are all important Drew … but where is the comment from the team?! Surely, they have been asked?!

15. john young // August 28, 2017 at 3:09 pm //

what are the players thinking will they perform for this guy or just go threw the motions

16. Ridic! Disgusting!

17. Tiger Ted // August 28, 2017 at 3:52 pm //

Apart from how disgusted the die-hard Tiger-Cat and CFL fans are feeling, I can just imagine what Corporate Sponsors of the team are thinking. I would only hope that community agencies like SACHA will be picketing at Tim Horton’s Field on Labour Day. I know I won’t be setting foot into that stadium until this hideous signing of the Assistant Coach is undone.

18. Ron Bates // August 28, 2017 at 4:34 pm //

When a total once upon a Real Man Team goes wrong it is certainly the result of very confused Male Issues. Whatever has happened in the SEC and it’s past racist problem or the still lingering sexist easy come now attitude apparently players of high octane and hormones seem to fuel up. The nearby sex content of College Balling (Ball) excuse me need no further truthy’s than the comments here/ is it a joke / is it forgiveness/ or has whoever decides anything was taken seriously. Now the Baylor incident went over my head and probably because I am male and ignored college ball for a long time. Hear Bamas / Florida St/ pre game hype it wraps with Taylor Swift video look what you made me do/ as cheer teams are there/

• George Porge // August 28, 2017 at 5:45 pm //

“and probably because I am male and ignored college ball for a long time.”

Judging by your writing, ball wasn’t the only thing you ignored in college. Your comment was less understandable than Charlie Brown’s teacher….

19. sounds to me that the commish approved this hiring if he did i have lost allrespect for him

20. Tired Ticat Fan // August 28, 2017 at 8:28 pm //

Not sure how June Jones stays on as Head Coach let alone his new assistant offensive coach. Poor judgment shown by Scott Mitchell and Bob Young.
    This is a no win situation for the Cats. Be interesting to see how the players respond to their new coaches. Sad day.

21. Of course!! Before this story came out this afternoon. I won tickets to the Labour Day game on AM1150 tsn hamilton this morning!

22. Edward Ellis // August 28, 2017 at 9:39 pm //

Already done.

23. Tiger man // August 29, 2017 at 9:08 am //

Does ANYONE in the management of this team have ANY degree of reasonable judgement or common sense??

Briles was trusted by parents to care for their sons while in this program…but was obsessed with winning instead….cared even less for parent’s daughters….

Hamilton wants families to attend games with someone like this representing their team????

Caretaker is clearly tending to his money rather than his customers…

Gee….thanks Bob.

24. My question is are you sorry OR sorry you were exposed for hire this guy! Father of two daughters and 30 year season ticket holder. No going back on this one. Struggled with my personal values hiring Tillman – this is the end of the road. Thank you Mr. Young for all you have done for Hamilton. The personal brand and Ticat brand has been destroyed!