The Rock shares CFL lesson from Vancouver balcony

The Rock was in Vancouver on Thursday – shooting a new film called Skyscraper – and after showing off the view from his sweet pad, he shared what he learned from his attempt to make a CFL roster in 1995.

“When I was 22 years old, I came to this city for the first time. I was playing in the Canadian Football League – playing my first pro football game. I was playing for the Calgary Stampeders we were playing the B.C. Lions,” The Rock says.

“I was so excited – two days later I got cut. Dreams shattered. Sent home with seven bucks in my pocket. I was like wait no I gotta play in the NFL eventually, those are my big goals, that’s my dream. You realize that playing in the NFL was the best thing that never happened because it got me here. So my point is, look, you’re going get your ass kicked, we’re going get the *expletive* kicked out of us…you gotta get up, you gotta have faith that the one thing you wanted to happen often times is the best thing that never happened. So have faith and just keep that in mind and keep plugging away.”

19 Comments on The Rock shares CFL lesson from Vancouver balcony

1. Hors E Power // August 12, 2017 at 3:05 pm //

The temple of McMahon’s greatness rubs off in many forms. Not just football

2. There’s another angle to Johnson’s story that I haven’t heard talked about much. Not everyone knows that his father is a Canadian, born and raised in Nova Scotia and later lived in Toronto. This means that if today’s CFL import rules had existed then The Rock could have applied for Canadian citizenship and played as a non-import, which would have meant that he almost certainly wouldn’t have gotten cut, and he quite possibly would have had a long CFL career, and never become The Rock.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 3:29 pm //

What would have been better? The stardom he achieved or the chance to have a long career playing for the Stamps. Interesting debate and hard to answer

• Aside from being mercifully spared the dishonour of wearing a Stamps uniform he could easily afford to buy the Stamps. I’d say things worked well for him

• I’d like to see Doug Flutie, who is a New England guy, and Johnson, whose father is a Nova Scotian, team up with the Irving family to bring CFL football to the Maritimes. The Irvings could build the stadium and Flutie and Johnson could own the team and make a commitment to a long term lease.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 7:08 pm //

I’m sure Flute,the rock and the Irvings are thrilled with your ideas on how to spend their money RFD. Will you personally guarantee any fuding needed to get this project moving and it’s the profitability??

• Billinburlington // August 13, 2017 at 11:01 am //

RFD. In theory, they could accomplish this by buying the Stamps and move the team to Halifax . Solves 3 issues: CFL gets an east coast team; helps to bring parity to the eastern division; and no Canadian province should ever have more than one good football team.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm //

Unfortunately for The Rock; the stamps are not for sale. However the antiquated enterprise known as the community owned Saskatchewan Roughriders would be a prime opportunity for any industrious individual. The Rock, Russian or Asian millionaires. An oligarch of Vladimir Putin maybe? The Kushner family out of New Jersey? The scenarios are endless!

• A story of how he played football in BC as a Stamp…..yet still (as always) it comes back to the Riders. Horse…….give it a rest it’s as old as Trumps hair !

• Billinburlington // August 13, 2017 at 10:50 am //

LOL!

3. Great advice for a CAT Grey Cup!

4. Scottsask // August 12, 2017 at 6:13 pm //

Wait, who did Vince McMahon run off on?

5. Stamps showed him how to “choke” and it sure helped in his wrestling career, the “choke” hold I mean. lol.

6. Jake E Snake // August 13, 2017 at 12:11 pm //

The point of that article was obvious, the greatest thing in life is not to be associated with anything from Calgary… Your life will be better for it!!

7. Jake E Snake // August 13, 2017 at 12:16 pm //

Hey Horsie, Rock references one of the most beautiful cities in the world as Vancouver… No mention of Calgary other than to say how fortunate his life was not to be part of the dumpster fire organization like the Stamps nor the dumpster fire city that is Calgary.

• Hmm…..I’m certainly not siding with horse necessarily, however in reference to “”dumpster fires” I do recall fans burning more than dumpsters in Vancouver after the Stanley Cup loss in 2011.