Bombers Canadian OL decides to stay after Lions attempt to get him

Offensive lineman Qadr Spooner turned down the B.C. Lions in order to stay in Winnipeg.

The Lions tried to claim the 25-year-old off the practice roster, but he stayed with the Bombers for loyalty reasons. Winnipeg drafted Spooner and have a plan for his development, plus the coaches there are high on him.

Spooner measures six-foot-four, 309 pounds and brings a nasty, relentless playing style to the field – a trait Mike O’Shea covets. Winnipeg felt fortunate to land him in the second round, 15th overall in the 2017 CFL draft. He was a conference all-star coming out of McGill University.

Winnipeg has Matthias Goossen (starting centre), Sukh Chungh (starting right guard), Patrick Neufeld (backup tackle or guard), and Michael Couture (backup centre) on the roster, which has allowed the Bombers the luxury of time to teach Spooner the pro nuances. Then when he gets on the gameday roster he’ll be properly prepared and ready.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (550 Articles)

23 Comments on Bombers Canadian OL decides to stay after Lions attempt to get him

1. IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 1:20 pm //

Looks like Wally is desperate. Calgary should be careful. I know they had Quinn Smith on PR for administration reasons. Although it’s hard to imagine he would want to leave the Stampeders.
    I don’t blame Spooner for wanting to stay. The Bombers seem to be building stability they have a great facility and it’s a nice city I’ve heard. Chicago north they used to call it.

• Not calling for an investigation like you did with Dillon Guy horse ?

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 2:34 pm //

Yup
        I’ve explained this to you and rider fans many times but you you don’t get it. Allow me to take a different approach:

The Big Mac test:
        Suppose I take 3 people and sit them in a room. The first is a body builder, days away from the Mr Universe contest. The second is a vegan, wearing an “eating meat is murder” shirt and the third in a 400lbs slob wearing an “I love McDonalds” shirt.
        You lock them in this room. The only other thing inside is a table across from them with a fresh off the grill big mac still inside the box.
        5 minutes later I unlock the door and walk inside. On table sits on opened big mac box with a few morsels of shredded lettuce and a few drops of the secret sauce remaining. “Who ate the big mac” I ask. A trio of “Not me” bounce off the walls of the sparsely furnished room.
        Who in the room do you all think is the guilty individual? The committed athlete? The vegan and loyal Peta member? or the guy that clearly over eats and overtly expresses his love of Mcdonald’s……..get it now?

• You are truly messed up in the head.

• You wouldn’t know your a*s from page 4. If it were any other team than the Riders it would be a non issue. Walmart should have a new supply of crayons in time for school…..enjoy

• riderontheisland // August 14, 2017 at 12:14 pm //

once again head up your ass and refuse to see things the way they are.

2. Rider rooter // August 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm //

Looks like bc needs o line help

3. Should make something in the next CBA the players on PR that are on their entry contract should be exempt from being taken. Would give teams chance to groom prospects.

• Have to disagree. I doubt the CFLPA would ever give this up, nor should they.
      Players earn next to nothing on the PR so if they have a chance to earn money by leaving, they should have that right. Some of these guys have families to feed. If the player feels like staying on a PR gives him the best long term opportunity for success than he can stay as Spooner has opted to do.

It should be up to the team to make the PR player want to stay by showing they have a development plan for his future.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 1:54 pm //

I agree unfortunately that is something the union would likely never agree too. That’s one one the problems with unionized organizations

• Part of the confusion here comes from the fact that Dunk appears to not understand the terminology. BC wasn’t trying to “claim” him or take him. On the PR players are FAs, so they can’t be claimed or taken. He was approached as a FA and asked if he wanted to sign in BC, and he declined. Maybe Wally cheaped out on his offer, or maybe Spooner just feels that he has a better opportunity with the Bombers, but either way there was no claiming or taking involved in this situation.

4. That’s 2 they Lions have not been able to land off practice rosters this last week or two. Most likely the offers Wally is making are not sweet enough.

5. Leo Lewis // August 12, 2017 at 2:30 pm //

The league should eliminate the “designated internationals” and replace their roster spots with Canadians. There would be two benefits:

1) This would allow young Canadians such as Spooner a roster spot, with the upgrade in pay.

2) This would open up the kick return game. Most teams use their designated internationals to cover kicks. This is purely anecdotal, but there sure seems to be far less punt and kick off returns for touchdowns compared to 20 years ago.

• Hors E Power // August 12, 2017 at 3:00 pm //

Interesting idea.
      with your second point , are you saying TD’s on special teams would go up because the overall personnel on the field would be lesser?
      I think the reasons TD’s are less is because special teams are coached and schemed a lot better than they used to be. 25-30 years ago teams didn’t necessarily have ST coordinators.
      You first point could hurt the overall quality of play I believe.

I think far too often fans view the PR as a vessel in which to rotate players around (along with IR) as a means to protect them. Rather it should be viewed as a way to nurture and make young players better.

• Leo Lewis // August 12, 2017 at 3:35 pm //

While I agree that special teams coaching is vastly superior to the old days, a perfect example of my point was Deon Lacey of the Eskimos. He was the best special team player in the league. A player of his caliber would NEVER been on kick coverage 25 years ago.

• I think the DIs are important to have for a number of reasons, but I wouldn’t object to expanding the game day roster by another couple Canadians, from 44 to 46 and then the total roster from 46 to 48. I think it would give teams a chance to develop more Canadian players.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm //

This puts strain on teams because they have to either spread money thinner or increase the cap. Likely it will be the latter. Once you add 2 Canadian players the union will insist the cap goes up. It really harms these teams as businesses. I say less union involvement is better

• rogieshan // August 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm //

I agree. They could simply eliminate the two reserves and add them to the active game-day roster. I’m more in favor of implementing a Designated-Canadian spot for the 3rd QB.

6. White Horse // August 13, 2017 at 5:54 pm //

I don’t blame Spooner for one second. Who the hell wants to live in Vancouver! I retired in BC but despise Vancouver. Every move you make in that god forsaken town costs twice as much as any other in Canada.Good move on his part.I bet Farhan Lalji still lives with mom and dad.
    Wally is looking for depth for the future.

• I tend to agree. Completely unaffordable to live in Vancouver unless your a starting QB. Who would want to live in the ‘burbs and ride a train for 1-2 hours each way to practice just so you could afford to eat… I believe the Lions are a stand-up organization, just like Winnipeg, unfortunate Vancouver has become so unaffordable, beautiful city.

7. Double Blue // August 15, 2017 at 8:51 am //

nice to see loyalty still exists. Guy and Spooner deciding to stay with Sask and Wpg, respectively, proves not everyone is a “me first” guy.

• Paul Bomber // August 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm //

agreed
      On a very practical level however, Wpg might be building an all or all-but-one Canadian O line that doesn’t suck. Montreal road an all-Canuck line to one Grey Cup appearance after another back in their hay-day. Guy sounds like a young Chris Walby. And Chung is a nasty piece of work too and only 23 (24?). Gossen, another young Canuck is emerging as a star too. Young, big, nasty and Canadian. Wpg hasn’t had a good O-Line since the late 80’s/early 90’s.