Mike Reilly keeps Eskimos undefeated with win over Redblacks

Lisa Wallace, Canadian Press

Quarterback Mike Reilly and receiver Chris Getzlaf showed why the Edmonton Eskimos are the only undefeated team in the CFL this season with a pair of plays in the fourth quarter.

Reilly found Getzlaf in the end zone for an eight-yard touchdown pass and then ran in the two-point conversion himself for the final score in a 27-20 victory over the Ottawa Redblacks on Thursday. Ottawa was never able to regain decent field position after that as Edmonton improved to 7-0.

“You’ve got to make the plays at the end when you need to make them and we did that,” said Reilly. “Getzlaf came up with a huge play with a touchdown in the end zone. That was the biggest play of the game for us was Getzlaf running a great run and coming down with that ball.”

Reilly was 27-for-38 passing for 384 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions as Edmonton expanded its lead in the CFL West. It now leads the Calgary Stampeders, who are idle this week, by three points in the division.

“It’s something special and I know it,” said Eskimos head coach Jason Maas. “I just love it because they’re a great, hard working group and they do it the right way on a week-to-week basis and I’m so happy we’re able to continue the streak.”

Ottawa is headed in the other direction.

Dejected, frustrated, and disappointed are just a few ways to describe the Redblacks (1-6-1), who haven’t won since July 19 against Montreal.

“We’re just not good enough right now,” said QB Trevor Harris. “We’ve got to look at ourselves in the mirror and say we’re not good enough right know. We’ve got to be better. Everybody’s got to be better, including myself. I’ve got to be better. We’ve all got to step our game up and find ways to win.”

Harris was 26-for-37 for 266 yards with two touchdowns and an interception for the Redblacks.

Having trailed the entire game, the Redblacks took the lead midway through the third quarter as Harris connected with Diontae Spencer in the end zone for a nine-yard TD pass to tie the game 19-19. The convert gave Ottawa a one-point lead to the delight of the 23,851 on hand at TD Place.

When asked if it’s time to start a rebuild Ottawa head coach Rick Campbell defended his team.

“It’s way easier to tear something down than to build something,” said Campbell. “I still think there’s a lot of correct pieces here and players that are the right guys, but for whatever reason we’re not getting it done.”

Despite the accumulating losses players vow to stick together and turn things around.

“We’ve got to get over the hump,” said offensive lineman SirVincent Rogers. “I don’t know what it’s going to take to do that, but we’re going to keep working. I’m very frustrated, but we’re going to keep fighting and we’re going to keep moving along trying to get wins.”

Eskimos kicker Hugh O’Neil had four field goals, including a 42-yard one in the third quarter to give Edmonton a 19-13 lead.

With 31 seconds remaining in the first half Taylor Reed tipped Reilly’s pass and Imoan Claiborne snagged it for an interception. Ottawa marched down field and Brett Maher kicked a 40-yard field goal to get within three as Edmonton led 16-13 at intermission.

Ottawa’s Zack Evans came up with a huge sack on Reilly with Edmonton in scoring position, but was forced to settle for a 21-yard field goal to lead 16-10 in the second quarter.

An illegal block by Ottawa’s Andrew Marshall negated a 92-yard TD punt return by Quincy McDuffie. Ottawa settled for a 33-yard field goal on the ensuing possession to make it 13-10.

“That’s a game-changing play,” said Campbell.

Trailing 13-0 the Redblacks got back in the game early in the second quarter as Harris was able to connect with a couple receivers to gain favourable field position and completed it with a five-yard TD to Greg Ellingson to cut the Eskimos lead to six.

The Eskimos had jumped out to a 13-0 lead on 38 and 20-yard field goals as well as an opening drive TD, capped by a screened 35-yard pass to LaDarius Perkins and a successful convert.

39 Comments on Mike Reilly keeps Eskimos undefeated with win over Redblacks

1. justforkicks // August 10, 2017 at 10:44 pm //

Watch out Horsey, if the Lions beat the Riders the stump will be in 3rd place and looking vulnerable! They lost and almost lost again to the RB’s and Reilly and company just gave the them their worst beating. Better start cheering!!

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm //

Well. Sort of. But remember it would only be a 1 point lead and Calgary will have a game in hand after Sunday. So it would be an artificial lead at this point.
      Besides. Riders beating BC is a BIG BIG if.
      A one score win tonight shows another close victory by Esks further solidifying Stamps as 1b in the power rankings

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 10:58 pm //

I meant to Say Riders beating BC would be a BIGGER if and a bigger story

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:02 pm //

Well now that Justforkids is in his place…

Ottawa blew a chance to help the stamps tonight. Shameful

• Green&Gold DBL E // August 10, 2017 at 11:12 pm //

Oh please Horse****. 1B? the Esk’s just beat the team you tied 31 to 31 then beat 43 to 39. That’s 4 points. The Esk’s have played them twice, both wins by 9 points in total. 2 the first game, 7 the 2nd. Still undefeated and you **** that they only won by 1 score. Wins are wins. Does that mean your win counts for less because your win was only by 4? Ridiculous.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:25 pm //

Yes but keep in the game in Calgary was smokey with the forest fires. That affected us. We would have otherwise won by 15to20 I figure. The game is Ottawa was a funny game and not a true indication of who the stamps are. Plus we unfairly had to play them back to back. Because of all this you guys need to give us a mulligan in the power rankings

• Green&Gold DBL E // August 10, 2017 at 11:33 pm //

But Ottawa was also playing in Calgary, does not the smoke affect them as well? Your logic as well as your objectivity in regard to the stamps is flawed

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:43 pm //

Well one might think that Green and Gold. But when you consider they get a lot of air pollution from southern Ontario they are used to it. Plus Calgary was fairly cool that day compared to the heat and humidity out east. That gave them an advantage too.
          That game in Ottawa as well as the game in Montreal were just odd and unusual. Virtual mulligans really. In fact they should just be averaged in as wins

• Green&Gold DBL E // August 10, 2017 at 11:55 pm //

I was still able to do my 10000 metres on the rowing machine in my normal time at the Southland leisure centre and make it to the game that day. Didn’t affect me that much and I’m not an elite athlete. I did take an antihistamine in the morning. Eyes were dry and nose was a little plugged in am. Try again.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 11, 2017 at 12:11 am //

Of course you did. Southland leisure center is indoors, has a great HVAC system and and humidity of a large pool. McMahon has none of those.
          Rowing machine, that’s a work out right out of the 1960’s. Did Jack Lalanne or Ed Allan teach you that?
          I’m just kidding with you Green and Gold
          I was an impressive win tonight. Reilly is the MOP this year unless something drastic happens. Game did get close but good teams like Edmonton manage to get it done with great defense and timely scores.

• Man Green your Esks just keep on going. Couple more injuries though – hope nothing too serious. Good win

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:00 pm //

Not sure how we are suddenly vulnerable. We don’t play this week and even at 3rd we are still firmly in a playoff spot. But I guess by Calgary standards third place is a let down.
      Bet the riders would kill for third!

• justforkicks // August 10, 2017 at 11:23 pm //

Unlike you I am not delusional and have no high hopes for the riders this year. Stumps have not got that playoff spot in the west yet. If riders continue to be the whipping boys than bombers and lions could derail you.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:36 pm //

lol well I’m glad your expectations are in check justfor. As for me I had huge expectations for the stamps. As I should!

• Don’t you mean WHEN the Lions beat the Riders? The Riders are a complete gong show, and the Lions will destroy them on Sunday.

2. justforkicks // August 10, 2017 at 11:06 pm //

Ha ha ha ha ha !! I make one comment and old horsey just starts to boil with vitriol. Don’t take much to get him going. I thought for sure he’d be burned out by now from that failed lions player attempt article. I guess when you have nothing else but 3d nation . . . .

3. justforkicks // August 10, 2017 at 11:10 pm //

Actually you do not have a game in hand. You already played 7 and EE’s just hit victory #7.
    It goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 get it!

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:20 pm //

Yes in terms of Edmonton BUT not in terms of BC. Hence we would not really be in 3rd place until we catch up to BC in games played.

4. Prove Me Wrong // August 10, 2017 at 11:23 pm //

Riders suck.. Riders suck… Oh sorry, this was to be posted on Sunday… Ooops..

5. Scottsask // August 10, 2017 at 11:31 pm //

Hand over the cup to the Eskies, its over!

6. IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 10, 2017 at 11:31 pm //

I hate to say it but I thin I will cheer for the riders Sunday.Wait no I won’t. I just to have faith Calgary will beat BC next week. Calgary relies on no one! We do it ourselves

7. Horsie,here you go with artificial leads, virtual victories & your 1b nonsense again. Until you actually win they don’t count. The Als already proved that’s a fool’s game. The standings show with both teams playing 7 you’re 2 wins out of 1st. Ther’s no 1 b here. As someone pointed out to you earlier, Calgary has given up more points in the standings to the East than anyone. As a Rider follower even we haven’t done that. You should be embarrassed to even mention Stamps in the same sentence as Esks at this point. We’ll see if they can beat the Esk backups when they come to Calgary. You probably should, but then Als aren’t as good as them so who knows? I know it hurts, but geez, no cred on this. And yeah you are REALLY in 3rd if BC wins.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 11, 2017 at 12:22 am //

Third is still better than fifth!
      Its the head to head in the west that is important

8. I know it’s off topic, but, does anybody know what happened to Chris Schultz? Did he lose his gig to Milt “Mr.Wonderful” Stegall? Just wondering…..

• That would be a shame! I have enough of Milt for the season already! I think Schultz is busy elsewhere, He’s been gone before as well. Maybe being NFL insider for TSN.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 11, 2017 at 12:27 am //

I heard he is on personal leave. Apparently he lost his father in the late spring. Apparently he will be back soon. I like Chris. He is such a different guy from Dunigan and Stegall yet can hold his own.

9. Plain and simple, that was impressive. Too more huge losses to injury

10. Evil Empire // August 11, 2017 at 1:16 am //

7-0… WOW !

With the ridiculous injury situation on the Eskimos. They just keep managing to win.

At 20-19, I told my fiancee that I had faith. And Edm would win. The reason…Mike Reilly.

With Reilly healthy…The Esks can compete with anybody.

Great road win in a tough barn.

11. Twice the Redblacks trapped a ball and the ruling on the field was CATCH. First time, Eskimos won the challenge. Second time, everybody put on blinders and pretended it never happened because getting the call right is less important than ruining the flow of the game.

• Let’s be honest…the replay officials and command centre wouldn’t have gotten it right anyway. Good win by the Esks. If Reilly can stay healthy is on a shoo in for MOP.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 11, 2017 at 9:42 am //

Yep we are starting to see the problems with Ambrosie’s decision to take away a challenge. Flow of the game may be better but the integrity of the game has taken a hit

• Nope, I fully support Ambrosie’s decision and the integrity of the game is actually better without the coaches using challenges as a strategy. I applaud the decision to reduce the challenges to one/game and would support a move to eliminate challenges completely. I hope he disbands the clowns in the command center and turfs Glen Johnson while he’s at it.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 11, 2017 at 10:42 am //

Well easy for you to say when your team is out of it. We’ll see how you feel when it costs Sask something big

• Agree about the second trap.

12. The story said that Reilly had two interceptions. In this day of more precise statistics, surely deflections are a different animal to the more egregious variety of interceptions.

13. George Porge // August 11, 2017 at 3:10 pm //

Wow. Just gotta say wow. Reilly and company keep up getting W’s while still losing players. Hoping they heal up soon!

Edmonton has one hell of a team!

14. Hugh O Neils punt that went outta bounds at the one was huge, Red Blacks couldn’t move the ball and had to kick it away, Eskies got it back on the 45 yard line and score the go ahead TD. Great kick. Receiving core played outstanding as well.