New parody video of CFL ref Andre Proulx is perfect

Quality parody is a tough thing to do well but new YouTuber “Andre Proulx” has done an excellent job with a new video mocking CFL official… Andre Proulx.

In a clip posted on Aug. 7, the artist known as Andre uses Taylor Swift’s song “Shake It Off” as the theme for a pitch-perfect takedown of Proulx, one of the league’s most experienced and well-known officials.

A sample of some of the finer lyrical offerings:

“The ladies like my stripes
They are checking out my pipes
But they are not for you (oh no)
Yes they are not for you (yeah, yeah)”

And

“Something I have to say, say, say
There is holding on the play, play, play.”

And

“I am always moving
My ref crew it is grooving
It’s like I got the rulebook,
Right here in my mind.”

The video features just one clip from the actual Proulx, a butchered call he made when announcing an illegal procedure penalty on the defence from a game in 2011. But the song is far from mean-spirited and doesn’t subject Proulx to many of the taunts he faces on social media and, one would suspect, during an actual game.

Well done, Andre, well done.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1041 Articles)

53 Comments on New parody video of CFL ref Andre Proulx is perfect

1. Thanks! This is an awesome song! I must learn all the words, so I can freak out my friends when I sing
    sing IT!

2. Thanks I must learn all the words, so I can freak out my friends when I sing
    sing IT!

3. George Porge // August 8, 2017 at 4:58 pm //

“My french accent isn’t up to snuff, but I really want to do an impression of a french referee…”

“Well, they do call french people frogs, Kermit…”

4. I hope he doesn’t take it personally. I couldn’t call a game in French.
    Funny song if taken as just a silly song.
    I actually like Andre.

• grumblingaboutgreen // August 9, 2017 at 4:05 pm //

well i would hope so TOO but HISTORY is not on our SIDE here! recall jonathan NEWSOME got canned for liking such an IMPERSONATION video of saskatchewans annointed SAVIOUR. so i guess it all comes DOWN to whether that was a personal FAILING of jones or a typical ATTITUDE among cfl non player personnel. if the FORMER we can give mr proulx the BENEFIT of the DOUBT but if the LATTER then we had better HOPE the creator didnt IDENTIFY what team he supports or calls might MYSTERIOUSLY favour the OPPONENT in their next match!

5. IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 8, 2017 at 6:11 pm //

How incredibly insulting and demeaning to our French heritage in this county. Shameful. I hope Prolux there are consequences for those who did this

• George Porge // August 8, 2017 at 6:15 pm //

Someone should make Kavis Reed a superhero suit with a giant “C” on it.

CONSEQUENCE MAN!

• Ticats fans chill // August 8, 2017 at 8:06 pm //

Why it’s the truth lol, WHY DOES NOBODY ON THIS BLOG HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOURRRR, like why can’t y’all be like me,snake,Philski,and Andy ( cfl know it all )

• If anyone should be the target of another choosing to make fun of them, it should be the Command Centre personnel.

• OMG…chill out man…seriously… you are going to give yourself a premature coronary. I always take good natured jabs from friends, colleagues…even enemies re my Polish heritage. Hell, I even laugh at myself. ie. Q: “Why don’t they have ice cubes in Poland”? A: “They lost the recipe”! HA! HA! There, the Philski told a jokski about himselfski and was not offenski by the punchlineski. Sighski…

• Paul Bomber // August 9, 2017 at 8:58 am //

Says you! Take a chill-pill dude.
      If you consider this “incredibly insulting to our French heritage”, you best spend some time looking at something that actually IS incredible: The heritage of satire in this country.

6. I thought it was funny. I always love Andre’s explanations of the penalties. Turd down!

7. “Amilton was Olding on de play. 10 yards repeat first down.”

If you’ve ever had to watch Andre make multiple questionable calls and singlehandedly lose a game for you….

Nuff said…

• I’m sure Proulx is a reincarnation of another TC nemesis, Ross Perrier, who, amongst other things, screwed the TC’s out of a trip to the 1983 GC by making a phantom pass interference call against then TC DB Gerald Bess against the hated Argos. Hell of a team back then…Dieter Brock, Ruoff, Zambiasi, Covington, Fields…Al Bruno the HC…yep, the good old days.

• I was at that 1983 Eastern final game, the Hamilton defender almost mugged the poor Argonaut receiver, not only was it a penalty but the Ticat player should have been ejected.✌️

• Funny guy you are…sigh. The only good thing about that game was that I was able to finish off the remnants of my flask before exiting CNE.

• IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 9, 2017 at 1:43 pm //

lololol
        My god
        You Ti-Cat fans just can’t get over loses can you?
        You’ve been going on about 2014 now you’re going back to 1983???

• Yep. Especially when BAD officiating enabled the opponent to win. Like 1983. And 2014. Dig?

8. LOL….nuff said

9. IMAN ICE HORSIE // August 8, 2017 at 7:15 pm //

I will not comment anymore on this particular story.
    I will close by saying. The Calgary Stampeder family fully supports and embraces our bilingual nation and Quebec friends

• Hate to shock and amaze you, but inspite of your extremely high opinion of your opinion, you do not speak for the entire, as you call it, Stampeder family. You just think you do. Really wrapped up in yourself aren’t you!!!

• Iman ice Horsie your SH*T is wired a bit tight, don’t you think? It’s called a JOKE. That’s something people laugh about or just pass on it if they don’t think it’s funny – rather than pretend to be someone important so they can wave a finger back and forth in the faces of others who have sense of humor.

10. Ticats fans chill // August 8, 2017 at 8:04 pm //

Man I hate this ref, I could have made a better song, with beat boxing raps on how he costs the ticatz the game whenever he refs. Yoyoyo my name is Andre, I cost ur team the game why? I hate them something like that..

• Don’t even get me going about the 2014 GC…the pinnacle of Proulx-ness. When I go to BC Place I can still see dents in the artificial turf…right in the spot where Banks collapsed and started pounding it.

11. “Olding, Amilton number sickty-tree. Dat penalty is decline. Turd Down.”

I write that not to make fun of Andre Proulx, but because I love hearing him make a call. There’s a real difference between the refs in the CFL, between Al “you’re not on the guest list, and you’re not getting in” Bradbury, to Kim “I’ll do your taxes right after the game!” Murphy, to Dave “My dad got me this job” Foxcroft to Tim “The Scout Meeting starts promptly at 6:30pm” Kroeker.

Unlike the army of clones in stripes that the NFL trots out every year, our’s have personality and character. I mean really, the only reason anyone knows NFL Ref Ed Hochuli’s name is because of his enormous biceps. Other than that, they are faceless automatons.

And when the back judge throws a flag for illegal contact, or the linesman spots the ball short on third down, Andre Proulx has nothing to do with that. Stop blaming the guy with the microphone for the sins of the other six guys in stripes.

12. Guess I don’t have the sense of humor others do here. I didn’t find that funny at all.

• Don’t feel bad. I watched the whole thing and never even cracked a smile.
      Everyone has a “sense of humour” until THEY are the butt end of the joke. THEN they call it racism, homophobia, … you name it.

13. onemoredork // August 8, 2017 at 9:50 pm //

Who could have imagined this site would stoop to a new low?

14. Seems to me he is being made fun of because he is French. If you replace “French” with “Gay” or “Black”, 3downnation would not have posted this.

15. Judge Jones // August 8, 2017 at 11:36 pm //

I, as one that could be offended, think the video is funny and I think that is what was meant in its creation. There is a difference between playful banter and demeaning insults.

16. So, making fun of a French Canadian ref from Quebec with the voice of Kermit The Frog? Uh huh. Okay. Really?

• Paul Bomber // August 9, 2017 at 9:00 am //

Does nobody understand satire anymore? Stopping looking for ways to be offended.

17. Yes that’s right nothing is funny anymore everyone is offended. Christ when did the world become such a sickening boring place where everyone’s feelings get hurt. It really is sad. It’s not PC it’s pathetic.

18. Thanks Drew for publishing this “good natured” clip…some other editors wouldn’t have the balls …they’d be running for the hills scared of their own “political correctness” shadow. Like @Shon above commented, it’s pathetic.

• I’m not offended. Just pointing out how I interpret it. Others probably will as well.

19. The only thing that could improve this is if he sang it after inhaling helium, with the accent. This was awesome. Hope TSN follows up with AP on how he feels about it.
    And no, there is no racism here. Comedy is truth stretched to the max.

• Paul Bomber // August 9, 2017 at 9:24 am //

“Comedy is tragedy plus timing” (Bombers & Sask are going to be hilarious in 10 years)

20. Mmmbacon // August 9, 2017 at 1:53 am //

Hopefully whoever made this hasnt quit their day job. It is just not funny.

21. Somewhere out there, and he’ll never admit it, is a gargantuous, almost evil genius- like smile on Kent Austin’s face.

22. It’s not racist, it’s just adolescent humour and not even the least bit funny. If 3DownNation were hoping to promote the CFL, then they’ve just shot themselves in the foot.

• Paul Bomber // August 9, 2017 at 9:05 am //

Promoting the CFL is the CFL’s job, whereas 3Down’s job is to report on the CFL, more or less objectively (perhaps not always totally objectively all the time but whatever). The one in the conflict is TSN due to their monopoly on the league. Going there for NEWS on the CFL is a waste of time.

23. Beamreach // August 9, 2017 at 9:51 am //

Andre is my favourite CFL Official !
    Enjoy his pronunciation and really enjoy hearing him announce calls out loud in Francais ,good humour Andre ,you’re the best!

24. My son loves this ref – “innerfurrence”! Can’t wait to show him this clip.

And I’ll also give him a recap of the comments – some thought it was funny, others were “offended” (hard to say how much was real vs. mocked just from the text). I’ll leave it to him to judge for himself. But I’ll also quote for him Oscar Wilde: “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

25. Mike Paquet // August 9, 2017 at 2:25 pm //

Was this produced by the ghost of Jim Henson? He sounds like Kermit the Frog.

26. Very low class…NO Make that no Class

27. It’s in good fun… It’s not always Andre’s fault. Bad calls usually come from the other idiots on the field w/stripe shirts. Ask Kent Austin

28. I’m French Canadien and my name is André. I thought thisbwas funny and take no offence to it. There’s no ill-will here. Let’s just relax and have fun!