3Down Power Rankings: New tenants in the penthouse

One loss by the Calgary Stampeders has caused a major shuffle at the top.

The Stamps lost for a fourth straight time in Montreal, which gives us a new No. 1 team for one week at least. How long will they last at that spot? Let’s see what a five-game week brings.

1. Edmonton Eskimos (last week 2)

Former Redblack Travon Van started for the first time in place of John White, out with a season-ending injury, and rushed for 108 yards on 18 carries. That kind of ground production to go along with Mike Reilly makes the Esks offence a dynamic group.

BC Lions quarterback Travis Lulay (14) THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power

2. B.C. Lions (last week 3)

Travis Lulay set a CFL record for passing yards when coming off the bench with 436, a career-high for the 2011 MOP while leading B.C. to a third straight road win in the eastern time zone. That feat is almost as impressive as what Lulay did on Saturday night when Jonathon Jennings left after one play with a shoulder injury.

3. Calgary Stampeders (last week 1)

Jerome Messam had one yard rushing, the same amount as he had fumbles and ejections. All added up to a loss for the Stamps who have struggled recently in La Bell Province – four losses in a row there.

4. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (last week 5)

#WhatAboutKaren? Well her Bombers did get a win, largely due to the blown call that cost her a million bucks, but that’s an expensive silver lining.

Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray (15). THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

5. Toronto Argonauts (last week 4)

Ricky Ray felt Karen Kuldys’ pain as the negated Martese Jackson kick-off return touchdown likely cost the Argos a victory.

Montreal Alouettes’ Tyrell Sutton (20) celebrates with teammates Luc Brodeur-Jourdain (58) and B.J. Cunningham. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

6. Montreal Alouettes (last week 7)

A late touchdown drive from the Als delivered an upset win over Calgary and meant the party was on in Montreal.

7. Ottawa Redblacks (last week 6)

Yet another near miss for the team from the nation’s capital – three losses have come by a total four, one and two points. No rest for the winless as Ottawa plays two games in five days in Week 5.

Saskatchewan Roughriders wide receiver Duron Carter (89) gets tangled up with Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Will Smith (37) after making a grab during second half CFL football action in Regina on Saturday, July 8, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mark Taylor

8. Saskatchewan Roughriders (last week 8)

Imagine what the bye week could’ve been like if the Riders were 0-3? Gulp. But the green and white prairie heroes enjoyed it after the first victory at new Mosaic.

BC Lions defensive back Loucheiz Purifoy holds onto Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ Jalen Saunders after Saunders’ 60-yard reception during first-half CFL action in Hamilton, Ont., on Saturday, July 15, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power

9. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (last week 9)

0-3 will bring tension, whether the Ticats deny it or not. Although, Hamilton made some plays on offence and protected Zach Collaros better. Edmonton comes to Steeltown on a short week.

27 Comments on 3Down Power Rankings: New tenants in the penthouse

1. Hors E Power // July 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm //

WOW. Thank you so much for the generous 3rd spot!. In truth Calgary should be in 8th (Thank God for the Hamilton Tiger-cats is all I can say!!).
    As we head into the Saturday Game I think it might be time to listen to the 3 main things Rider fans have been telling us.
    1- Jones the mad genius has been building his death star.
    The Hamilton game was the test that blew up Alderon. It’s clear sailing for the next 25 years for the organization.
    2-The Stampeders and BLM will be exposed for how overated they are. Clearly the case. They looked awful against Montreal. It’s all downhill. Playoffs maybe out of the question this year and defiantly in the coming years.
    3- Stamps fans are pathetic and Rider fans take over the nearly condemned McMahon stadium every time they play there.

Saturday will feature the league’s new nearly fully ascended power vs the team nearing a prolonged stay at the bottom. The riders will have the advantage of a virtual home game.
    I can’t imagine a scenario where the riders won’t win this game sleeping. Its a huge mismatch and surely the Riders won’t disappoint in front of all the green jerseys.

MORE BAD NEWS FOR THE STUMPS
    I don’t know how many of you live in Calgary but we are smoked out here with the BC forest fires this week. I had my window open last night and my blinds have a layer of soot this morning. I did my daily treadmill earlier and my lungs are burning!! Stamps will not be able to have a quality practice or work out this week. Consider too the old out of date HVAC in McMahon.
    ITS GOING TO BE A HARD WEEK.

• Ross2013 // July 17, 2017 at 2:15 pm //

I find it funny that you write a sarcastic comment, and your point #3 for “3 main things Rider fans have been telling us” is probably the truest thing you’ve said on this website.

• Hors E Power // July 17, 2017 at 2:20 pm //

Exactly Ross.. Its the truth just like I said. I don’t see why you would be arguing. I agree with you.

• Riders13 // July 17, 2017 at 3:41 pm //

Sask had forest fires 2 years ago, Fort Mac last year and Williams lake and interior BC this year (along with more in AB). It puts it into perspective that football is really just a game…although a lot of people happen to make their living from it.
          Power rankings look accurate to me…not really much of a difference from actual standings. I guess the stamps descent has begun.

• Stay out of the smoke, stay safe.

• Lots of indoor space in town to practice in…..Next invalid point

2. Can you please enlighten me on how the negated Jackson TD likely cost the Argos a victory? (or how the Bombers win was largely due to the “blown call”?) Last I checked, the TD would have been at most a 5 point increase for the Argos, but more likely 4 points since they would have kicked the convert at that point in the game instead of taking the field goal they got on the same drive. If the rest of the game went the same, the Bombers would still have been leading by 4 near the end of the game and the Argos would have had to try for a TD, which they did not get. If the TD changed the entire complexion of the game, it’s impossible to say what would have happened, never mind that the missed TD cost the Argos the game. Come on, writers, don’t spew that garbage.

3. “Well her Bombers did get a win, largely due to the blown call…” and “…as the negated Martese Jackson kick-off return touchdown likely cost the Argos a victory”.

Really? I didn’t know football games were only 2 quarters long! Even if you gift the Argos the possible 7 points off that return, they still lose. I guess there’s some other magical reason they were “robbed” of the other requisite 2 points? The loss couldn’t possibly have been due to Ray’s 2 picks, being outscored 13-3 in the second half, the Argo’s non-existent running game, two dropped balls in the red zone, or just being out-played?

Bad calls happen – to every team. Good teams overcome those calls to win. Bad teams (and bad journalists) blame 2nd quarter penalties for 4th quarter loses.

4. Regardless, there’s no denying the Bombers have had luck on their side in both wins, There were a couple of drops in the end zone this time aside from the return. There were 3 gifts from the Riders on the wide open Dressler &Washington TD’s which were due to Rider blown coverages. Bottom line they won the games. But they got blown out by the one true contender they’ve faced. The next 6 games they only face 2 of the big clubs so should be in good shape. Their luck could continue in BC this week if Jennings is out. I’ll give them credit when they beat the Alberta teams whom they have trouble with.

5. Judge Jones // July 17, 2017 at 3:26 pm //

Some guys have all the luck. Hum… We could make a song about that. Better ask ole buddy Rod Stewart.

6. Calgary is just on vacation for now.

• White Horse // July 17, 2017 at 7:56 pm //

Right you are Tiger Mike. Bless the green gang who will suffer the Rath of a scorned Stamps team.

• Hors E Power // July 17, 2017 at 10:19 pm //

Wrath

• Lol White horse and horsie the same person! I don’t believe it! Has to have alterego’s to make him feel like a big man commenting. Atleast I don’t have to hide my name. He has several handles and once one gets to much heat, he moves to another one. What a dink.

• White Horse // July 18, 2017 at 9:48 pm //

Your dreaming RobE. I live in the Okanagan. We might be inhaling a lot of smoke here but it’s coming from that junk you somke in Saskatchewan.
            Your dreams of grandeur will turn to nightares this Saturday.

7. DowntownCharlieBrown // July 17, 2017 at 4:32 pm //

EW you gotta learn to let go of your Bomber hatred. They were “gifted” the points by the Riders you say but if it was any other team you’d say they did a good job exploiting the coverage. I hardly call a poor second half being “blown” out. I’ve read enough of your comments to see yours tends to be based on personal feelings rather than an true view of what happened. Relax, you’ll love longer 😉

• Ew is a well balanced poster that tries to stick to fact based opinion giving a reliable picture of events.Just an observation by Tiger Mike.

8. I think BC and Edmonton have very good teams this year, and it’s not some weird Calgary vs Sask conspiracy.

9. All I’m saying is the Bombers need to beat Edm, Cal & BC in the West to show me they’re for real. I don’t disagree with their 4th place standing but that also is behind the 3 Western clubs mentioned. So a lot of people agree with what I’m saying. How is that a hate-on for the Bombers? How about if I say that Nichols has to prove that he’s better than Jennings, Reilly & Mitchell? No hate on, just the prevalent feeling among the majority of fans. Not based upon personal feelings at all. This just out after week 4 – Nichols QUAR & EFF ratings – 2nd last for both. Not feelings – just facts Charlie Brown. Bombers are winning despite Nichols not performing well. No offence intended.

10. I’ll respectfully disagree with you to a point there EW. Yes the Bombers have had luck on their side in wins the same could be said about all other teams though. Luck will play a factor in all games be it good luck or bad. Sask is just a few good “lucks” away from 3-0, Calgary from 1-3, etc. Hell you COULD make the arguement the Bombers beat themselves against Calgary with so many early preventable mistakes. Regardless the records are what they are and we’ve had some entertaining football. I don’t agree with the article that the million dollar kickoff snafu was the reason for the Bombers win or the Argos loss. As a Bombers fan personally I like them getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment from the pundits and the fans. If they can use it for motivation and win I’ll be happy lol. I’d love to “see” them finally win a cup. Either way excited for the rest of the season, should be a gooder!

11. There are no trophies for power rankings, and if there was “who cares”

• Hors E Power // July 17, 2017 at 10:13 pm //

They give people something to talk about and bragging rights. That’s about it

12. Even tho im an eskimos fan one has to remember all the injuries the Stamps have right now and once they become healthy they will be a force once more unlike the sliders and there fans will finish last Again in the west if not the league.You give the Sliders one win and they think that they are invincible even though they are still LAST place

13. Don… you do realize your defense is hurting badly. Missing some key LB’s. Plus you have Benevedes running that ship(poor bastards)You guys will start your slump very shortly as well. Teams will be picking that apart.
    We will start our tear with Calgary this week and you guys will be next on our radar. I can’t wait to beat these so called best teams in the league. Just to shut them up. Bad mouth us while you can, thats going to be changing shortly.

• A change in Riderville probably would be welcomed by everyone not just Rider fans {poor bastards}. I love watching the CFL and when things become as predictable as a Rider loss, than what is the sense of watching. Long story short, look for the bad mouthing to continue.

• Hors E Power // July 19, 2017 at 12:39 am //