Alouettes release veteran DB Ryan Phillips

Montreal has released defensive back Ryan Phillips.

The 34-year-old played two games for the Als before he got cut, making eight tackles.

Phillips wrote on Twitter:

I definitely played well and showed I can still play. But hey things happen for a reason. I’ll be on a field soon. I trust God not man.

Phillips was signed in the off-season by Montreal after he was released from B.C. He’s played 214 career games made 486 tackles, 47 interceptions, six touchdowns, five sacks and four sacks.

32 Comments on Alouettes release veteran DB Ryan Phillips

1. Cue all the Ticats fans who think the team should sign him….!

• They should also take AJ Jefferson who was cut in Ottawa.

• BC Dave // July 16, 2017 at 2:36 pm //

Sounds like you agree, considering how weak their secondary is, but just want to mock them for saying it.
      It’s true Hamilton does need help back there (and NO I am not a Hamilton fan).

• Nope – I don’t think they need him unless MAYBE Emmanuel Davis ends up being out longer than 6 games and that would also depend on where Phillips plays in the secondary. Kanneh, Butler, Davis are all very good DBs who are going to make the secondary look much better when they are back on the field. I’m hoping Kanneh returns for the next game.

2. oh my goodness, another good veteran ball player let go by my als. really, they finally started to improve, oh well i guess we will see what happens. go als go. as for hamilton, time to say good bye to the arro0gant kent austin.

3. The Cats must prepare to unload many players to afford the coming NFL CUTS because other CFL teams will try to out bid the Cats.

• Humber River // July 16, 2017 at 5:29 pm //

The salary cap limits bidding wars.

When was the last time an NFL cut turned around a team in mid-season?

4. Gable will be released soon to free up money

5. Hors E Power // July 16, 2017 at 1:58 pm //

PHilips will sign with the Saskatchewan Hand me Downs

6. Please dear god let Ticats sign him. That secondary has more holes than swiss cheese. They need someone who doesn’t give receivers 10 yards of cushion. Phillips can still ball. Get rid of some of these guys that they are developing that are clearly not working.

7. Horsie. What institution are you housed in. Would like to donate so you can get a better doctor.

8. Rick cowan // July 16, 2017 at 2:33 pm //

Horsepower how do you know that Phillips will sign with the Riders oh Ya you no everything

9. He doesn’t know how to keep his effen mouth shut

10. Scottsask // July 16, 2017 at 3:14 pm //

Bingo!

11. Jim Harvie // July 16, 2017 at 4:09 pm //

Trust Montreal to release a 14 yr Lion the day before they play the Tiger-Cats.
    Could of made a difference

12. BleedzGreen // July 16, 2017 at 4:17 pm //

Bozo will be fined again this season… He can’t keep his mouth shut either.

• Hors E Power // July 16, 2017 at 10:02 pm //

Bo’s twitter fines are questionable at best. Jones ae in clear violation or the rules.If you what you could argue Bo’s are a case of bad taste on his part. Jones however are due to CHEATING!

• BleedzGreen // July 17, 2017 at 1:12 am //

You’ve mistaken me for someone who values your thoughts/opinion… Hard to imagine such a person exists.

• Hors E Power // July 17, 2017 at 11:39 am //

If you don’t want to read what I write than don’t, but don’t take personal attacks at me. If you can’t do that feel free to get your CFL news elsewhere 🙂

• truenorthern // July 17, 2017 at 11:44 am //

Speaking of personal attacks, whats your deal with Coach Jones?? Hardly a day goes by that your don’t personally attack Coach Jones. You don’t seem to appreciate personal attacks on yourself, why do you do it to Coach Jones??

• BleedzGreen // July 17, 2017 at 6:20 pm //

LMAO… A troll trying to show me the door!

Get a grip on yourself.

13. Hope the Saskatchewan Roughriders go get him it would or could really solidify that secondary n good depth.

14. Humber River // July 16, 2017 at 5:32 pm //

Phillips had a great career, but I think he’s done.

15. Phillips is a good insurance policy as the season goes on for the second half of the season. Somebody will sign him in the next 30 days or so depending on injuries etc.

16. Hate the trash talk comments.
    Let’s stick to football so everyone can enjoy reading the comments.

17. Quick someone blame Global Earming. Haha