Travis Lulay sets CFL record in dismantling Ticats

Travis Lulay’s evening did not go exactly as planned.

Lulay came off the bench to lead the B.C. Lions to a 41-26 victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Saturday.

The back-up quarterback was loose on the sidelines at the start of the game, when suddenly starter Jonathon Jennings was out with a suspected arm injury after the team’s first play from scrimmage.

“It’s funny, we were talking right before the game. Jon was like, ‘Do you still get butterflies?’ I was like, ‘You know, it’s different.’ Only because I know I’m not playing on the first snap. But what are the odds you’re playing on the second, right? You just never know. That’s what you prepare for all the time, right?

“Tonight was the time the team needed me to step up and play. I’m happy to be a part of this win.”

The veteran pivot, who is a former CFL most outstanding player but lost his starting role last year due to ongoing injuries, threw three TD passes and rushed for another as the Lions (3-1) extended their win streak to three games.

Hamilton fell to 0-3 in front of a home-opening sell-out crowd of 24,135 at Tim Hortons Field.

Jennings reportedly injured his throwing arm on the Lions’ first play from scrimmage – in which he threw an interception while under pressure – and was replaced for the rest of the game by Lulay, who completed 29-of-36 pass attempts for a career-best 436 yards. He also set the CFL record for most yards thrown by a quarterback in relief, surpassing Mike Kerrigan’s 408 yards in 1987.

B.C. started out slow for most of the first half, but sprung to life scoring 15 points in 59 seconds near the end of the second quarter to take a 21-16 lead into halftime after being down 13-6.

“It’s a rhythm thing, really being in the heat of the moment,” Lulay said about taking some time to get going. “I took a couple hits. The first two plays I got hit pretty good. That kind of jarred my senses into the game.”

Lions head coach Wally Buono said they didn’t need to make any adjustments on offence when Lulay went in.

“I think Travis has been around a long time and when you have a veteran quarterback he doesn’t have to run every play at practice during the week,” Buono said, adding the two quarterbacks usually split reps at practice 60-40.

Lulay also made a points-saving tackle on Hamilton defensive back Richard Leonard, who had just intercepted him on a two-point convert attempt and was streaking down field.

“I’m kind of looking around, do I have any help? And it really felt like I had no help back there. I just have to take a good enough angle that hopefully I can put my mitts on this guy, and he cut back on me and I was able to grab hold of him and take him down.”

Shaq Johnson, Nick Moore, Brian Burnham, and Jeremiah Johnson also scored touchdowns for B.C. Burnham’s was a highlight-reel play as he reached around his defender to catch the ball with one hand while falling to the ground.

Jeremiah Masoli, Ross Scheuerman, and Jalen Saunders had TDs for Hamilton. Zach Collaros completed 30-of-48 pass attempts for 361 yards, one TD and one interception.

Lions kicker Ty Long was good on both field-goal attempts, from 14 and 50 yards, while Ticat kicker Sergio Castillo hit a 48-yard field-goal attempt.

Hamilton’s Leonard had two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

The Ticats pulled to 34-24 with 11 minutes left in the game on a 25-yard TD strike from Collaros to Saunders and a successful two-point conversion. But Lulay and the Lions struck back immediately with a 66-yard drive leading to a four-yard TD run by Jeremiah Johnson and the 41-24 lead.

Hamilton head coach Kent Austin, who dismissed the rumour that him and Collaros have some tension between them by calling it “completely made up”, said he wants his team to stay focused this short week. The Tiger-Cats play Edmonton at home on Thursday.

“I told the guys it’s going to get ugly around them with all the negativity and the chatter right now,” Austin said. “What’s under their control is taking care of their bodies first and foremost. I emphasized that right away, because they need to get their rest and keep fluids in them and be ready to prepare physically to play on a short week against another physical football team.”

The Ticats have lost the last nine of 10 games, including last year’s East semifinal.

– CP

23 Comments on Travis Lulay sets CFL record in dismantling Ticats

1. lions are on a roll,just passed the stamps in the standings and have already played and won three games down east with favourable schedule the rest of the way now. roar lions roar.

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 11:25 pm //

The key time this season is mid August till mid September
      Calgary has 2 against BC and 2 against Edmonton. That will go along was to deciding positions

2. Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 10:50 pm //

Not sure how long Jennings is out but you wonder if this performance could create a QB controversy in BC.
    Maybe we should take pause and remember is was Hamilton too

3 Downnation Power Rankings Week 4

1-Edmonton
    2-British Columbia
    3-Montreal
    4-Winnipeg
    5-Toronto
    6-Ottawa
    7-Saskatchewan
    8-Calgary
    9-Hamilton

• BC Dave // July 16, 2017 at 2:53 pm //

NO !!!!! Zero chance of a QB Controversy in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love Travis and feel he could start ANYWHERE else but JJ is our guy. Personally< still see him as out leader. This just means that there will be no rushing JJ back and Winnipeg has no idea who to prepare for so will have to spend time preparing for both.

Regarding your Power Rankings, I see Calgary higher. Calgary still overall third best in league but I would not drop them to 4th yet. Every one has a blip but let's wait and see if it was just a blip or a new trend.

3. EvilEmpire // July 15, 2017 at 11:28 pm //

Wow…

Impressive performance by Lulay… Very impressive. When your BU, can do that. You’re in an enviable position. Though, I’d rather have my starting QB, stay healthy, and play every game.

The West is going to be a brawl, this year.

Any team not named the Riders could take the West this year. Once again… The backdoor through the East. Might be the easier route. But, ZERO West teams have represented the East in the GC. You’re just as likely to pull upsets in the West, and play in the big game. At least that is what history suggests.

4. Travis’ record should have an asterisk in that the relief duty was pretty much the whole game except one down and that it was against mostly rookie defensive backs one of which still managed to burn him.

• Absolutely. Lulay played all but one snap of the game. Have to wonder if they Ticats might have fared better had Jennings not been injured and had played the whole game. No guarantees of that of course.

So Steven Riley – Austin is NOT GM and tossing out the coach after three games is NEVER a recipe for success. As you say you have NO idea who’s available so staying the course and allowing the team to evolve and improve (especially when the top 3 DBs are able to return) is the wisest course of action.

5. If you are a hard core Cats fan like I am…
    The writing is on the wall.
    Kent has to step away from the sidelines and go into his GM role.
    He holds all the keys and this mess is on him…period.
    If he does not…there is a good chance the Cats will go 0 and 10 or higher before they get a win.
    No one inside the Hamilton Coaching Staff can step into the HC role…so the next question has to be…who out there is available…
    I would take the kid up the street…rather than sit through what will happen with the Cats, if Kent does not step aside.

6. The teams problems are complex and as was pointed out by several have a lot to do with the injuries to star experienced defensive backs. Let’s give these guys time.
    There are a lot of really good players on this team. They have the potential to be a good team. They are getting better. The Lions are good and Lulay is a great quarterback. I think the team needs to lighten up and start having fun out there. Negative comments don’t help this happen. Hey we have a football team to watch and cheer for and I’m glad we do. They are showing signs of good things to come.

7. Lindsay Wilcox // July 16, 2017 at 1:26 am //

1. Ticats have a long history of making back-up QBs look good.
    2. Calm down, relax, take a deep breath – KA will be coach and GM the rest of this and probably several more seasons, BUT I agree he does need to give up one of his many hats. Maybe Reinebold for HC? Maybe Tillman for GM ?

• Philski // July 16, 2017 at 8:50 pm //

Don’t think so Lindsay. Like they say, money talks. And I’m sure Mr. Caretaker could not help but notice all the empty seats at the game – a home opener for goodness sakes! TC’s are on a downward trajectory, a fresh start may be what is needed to re-spark fan interest.

8. Harry J Vande // July 16, 2017 at 2:23 am //

Shouldn’t this TICATS team be wearing an Alternate coloured jersey (Lavender- Magenta-Turquoise)?, because I don’t recognize the team playing in Black-Gold-White! Lately, the results are … predictable. Turn the corner, please!

9. Ticat Mike // July 16, 2017 at 10:01 am //

Yes, the Cats have made rookie, back up , and second string qBs who were once great look all world. They are very generous. But then again, this defense is probably among the worst if not the worst in the league.
    I’m sure with time, the team may get better especially with injured guys returning. The issues, which many have pointed to: why year after year, is this team ill prepared, why are we so easy to play against the past couple of years?, why are apparent (to all but Kent it seems) deficiencies not addressed? Football is a simple game: You outblock the opponent. You run and execute simple plays which take advantage of mismatches or what the other team gives you. Without a dominant O Line or D line – very difficult to execute anything — you build your teams from the trenches out. In the end, it doesnt matter how you play as long as you win more than you lose. The Austin era hasnt done that or if it has, not by much. We’ve been a .500 type ball club – starting poorly, gaining some wins mid-season, then losing to teams who out prepare/out coach us in the playoffs. Year 2 of the Austin regime with Orlando as the DC, and Condell as the OC was a great team until injuries ravaged the team. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Time is running on the Austin era — he has this year to turn things around and make this ragamuffin group of warriors into something. I hope he does — but you wonder what they were thinking or doing during the off season and pre-season & why why why is this team snake bitten with injurires (and why are backups are unable to pick up the slack)?

• Your right Ticat Mike , Earnest Jackson,and Collaros could have been enjoying a good season; although, Jackson has had a slow start in the fun city of Montreal.Jackson could have been a Tiger-Cat.

10. Sending Out an SOS // July 16, 2017 at 10:01 am //

I got two words for Kent Austin: Absolutely pathetic. Granted you have injuries but this team looks so defenseless and lost. Chick, Banks, Collaros, not doing the job. If all you got is Tasker as your lone go to man, the game’s already over. I think the time for Kent Austin’s departure has come or at least a shake up in his roles. Personally, I have lost confidence in KA. He talks about player execution but they’re his players so which came first the chicken or the egg? Next.

• The Cats certainly have a Chick.

• 🙂 🙂 LOL! And the Chick had a sack too!

SOS I guess you missed Saunders ( he IS fast) 5 catches for 147 yds, Collins 6 for 64, Scheuerman 58 yds rushing, 7.2 average. Tasker 7 for 57 certainly wasn’t the only “go to” man – not even the third!

11. The Lions will be trouble for all teams when they get Chris Williams into the lineup.The Lion’s coach purchased a lot of Grey Cup assurance for 2017.

As Pierre Trudeau said,” just watch me. “

12. Saynotoapathy // July 16, 2017 at 11:15 am //

Travis Lulay threw for three touchdowns and a career-high 436 yards, breaking the CFL record for most passing yards off the BC bench. A very proud accomplishment for Travis so congratulations. On the flip side I have watched the Cat “D” line for three losses now and they are simply not able to apply any pressure on the opposing QB. Chick is almost invisible out there.
    And speaking of speedy B, did you see him get whacked very late in the game as he seemed to saunter with the ball on his final punt or kick-off return. No effort, no intensity and no desire. Trade him. And yes if Tasker is a key go to man then 7 catches for 57 years is a joke. Nick Moore in comparison 10 catches for a shocking 220 yards. Tasker has got to be replaced.
    There …. I feel better now.

13. Solara2000 // July 16, 2017 at 11:16 am //

Cats lost to what is arguably the best team in the League – right now. I guess it is how they lost that is dispiriting. I don’t want to pile on. Thursday will be a challenge given the short week (tough even for a team operating at top proficiency.

14. Humber River // July 16, 2017 at 5:16 pm //

I wouldn’t write off the Ticats yet. They never have good starts under Austin. Plus the East looks like it sucks again, so they won’t have to make up as many games if they turn things around.

15. Austin should have been ditched a year ago!!!

16. Steve Oliver // July 16, 2017 at 8:33 pm //

Austin is destroying the franchise! He won’t hire outstanding Canadian DBs who understand the CFL. I’m not sure anymore that Austin kniws the Canadian game. Fire him, put Pytasek in charge. Collaros under threw, over threw all game. Massoli would be better at the helm.