Montreal miracle: Alouettes upset Stamps with late touchdown

Canadian Press

The offence finally showed signs of life for the Montreal Alouettes.

Tyrell Sutton and back-up quarterback Vernon Adams ran in touchdowns and B.J. Cunningham scored one through the air as the Alouettes upset the Calgary Stampeders 30-23 on Friday night.

Linebacker Branden Dozier also scored on a fumble recovery while Boris Bede kicked a field goal for the Alouettes (2-2), who have beaten the Stampeders in their last four visits to Percival Molson Stadium.

“We’ve got to build, we’ve got to do it two or three times in a row,” said slotback Montreal Nik Lewis. “We have the talent to do it and we showed it.

“Now we’ve raised our level and now we have to do it consistently. I believe the league is so close now in talent that we have a chance to be the best team in this league.”

Lewis caught three balls for 42 yards, easily picking up the 21 yards he needed to pass Alouettes legend Ben Cahoon (13,301) for sixth place in all-timeCFL receiving yards.

“That’s amazing,” the 14-year veteran said. “Honestly, I think I’ve had the best hands out of anyone, but you see some of the catches (Cahoon) made and it’s an honour to pass someone like that.”

DeVaris Daniels had a TD and Rene Paredes booted five field goals for Calgary (2-1-1), which controlled much of the play but struggled to get the ball into the end zone. Bo Levi Mitchell completed 34-of-50 passes for 379 yards, but mistakes deep in Montreal territory repeatedly left the Stamps with field goals instead of touchdowns.

Mitchell called it a tough loss but nothing to be overly concerned with this early in the season.

“Why should we be devastated? We’re 2-1-1,” he said. “It’s a long season.

“In the past couple of seasons, we’ve lost the first or second game. I’m not happy. I’m not going to let the guys think it’s OK that we lost a game. I hate losing more than anyone in the world. But I’m not going to let these guys sulk or drop their heads. We’re going to fix what we’ve got to fix and become a better football team.”

It was the first time this season Montreal scored more than 19 points in a game under their key off-season acquisition, quarterback Darian Durant, who completed 17 passes for 296 yards. The difference this time was that he was able to sustain and finish drives that had been falling short.

“I told him he’s not the saviour here, we don’t want him to be the saviour,” said Lewis. “That’s too much pressure.

“He doesn’t have to carry that burden. We’ll carry it together.”

The Alouettes led 16-9 at the intermission despite Durant throwing interceptions to Ciante Evans and Tommie Cambell and the team taking 12 mostly undisciplined penalties.

An 80-yard completion to Ernest Jackson set up a 12-yard Bede field goal 1:34 into the game but Calgary marched back to tie it on Paredes’ 14-yard effort. The Stampeders settled for a field goal from 12 yards 4:26 into the second quarter after Marquay McDaniel dropped a sure touchdown pass near the goal line.

Montreal responded with a six-play, 100-yard drive capped by a 39-yard TD pass to a wide-open Cunningham at 10:45.

Chris Ackie stripped tailback Jerome Messam and Branden Dozier ran it in 23 yards for a TD at 12:13. Messam was ejected and given a facemasking penalty for his part in the skirmish that followed the score.

“Not a smart play by him by any means,” said Mitchell. “He was devastated that it happened.

“They’re a physical team and they get in your head that way. I’m sure he won’t do it again.”

Kick returner Roy Finch, back after serving a two-game suspension for a positive doping test, took over from Messam at running back and helped Calgary’s final drive of the half produce Paredes’ 35-yard boot with no time remaining.

Mitchell led an eight-play drive to open the second half capped by a 30-yard TD toss to Daniels.

Rob Maver put Calgary ahead 17-16 with a punt single through the end zone at 8:28 and Paredes added another field goal from 34 yards to end the third quarter.

But Montreal bounced back with an eight-play drive that saw Sutton run in 14 yards up the middle for the TD at 3:57 of the fourth.

Paredes put one through from the 39 at 6:29 but Montreal answered with a nine-play drive capped by Adams one-yard score at 11:35.

58 Comments on Montreal miracle: Alouettes upset Stamps with late touchdown

1. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 10:56 pm //

Miracle to say the least. Calgary will bounce back. Everyone knows they will

2. Dan Bombers // July 14, 2017 at 10:56 pm //

Stampland eats all his pregame comments in 3,2,1

3. “Miracle” is a tad excessive. Their defense has been pretty good even after Reed chopped it up in the off season & kept them in games this season. Finally the offense showed some life ate up some minutes & put up some points. If they could be a little more consistent & if some posters here state that Durant has slow starts & gets better is true. It might not be such a hopeless season after all.

4. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:02 pm //

It’s a virtual win really. If you take out the Cunningham TD when Odaise slipped and the Messam fumble ts a different night

• RJ Johnson Jr // July 14, 2017 at 11:10 pm //

Uh, playing the game is actually what it’s all about. Messy DID drop the rock, and Odaise has bad shoes or footwork.

I’m not sure if the CFL is gonna add a column for whatever your “virtual wins” are?

Most games come down to one or two plays. And in this case, “you have been weighed, and measured, and found wanting”

• The Stamps intercepted Durant twice & Bede failed to score two easy field goals with his continuing gametime mental problems. Al’s self inflicted errors kept this game close for the Stamps. Al’s defense was able to minimize the Stamp potent offense.

• Horsepie. Do we need to quote your own words about how the great teams find a way to win. Be gracious … Congratulate montreal and move on.

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:22 pm //

I did congratulate Montreal on the previous story. Full marks to them . They beat the stamps, That’s worth celebrating.

• Whoa horsie. Enough “ifs” “If” my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. They lost- it happens, the sun will still rise tomorrow

• BC Dave // July 15, 2017 at 2:22 am //

Take away 2 or 3 bad plays last few years and my BC Lions would 72-0 🙂
      Thanks. I like that thinking. I’l have to remember that.

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 10:50 am //

Those “2 or 3 bad moves” would also include the regretful hirings of Mike Benevedes and Jeff Tedford if you want to go back that far

• Agreed. Benny was a bit is a story there and not totally his fault but this thread not about that so no details now. Point was that, unfortunately, you cannot take those game changing plays away. Generally said that there are usually five plays in a game that determine who will win.

• EvilEmpire // July 15, 2017 at 8:36 am //

Stamp fan claiming moral victory ? Meanwhile, the Eskimos got the real deal.

That’ll likely make the Stamps angry, and hungry. And they play the Riders, next. Likely not going to go well for the Riders.

The only WINS are listed in the standings, buddy.

Nice try, though.

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 10:01 am //

I’m looking forward to the labour day series this year. It’s really going to be important in the final statndings

5. mrincomprehensible // July 14, 2017 at 11:13 pm //

Well Horsie I hate to nag you but you’ve been such a horse’s ass. Take off the blinders and you’ll see what the rest of us are talking about. The shoe is on the other foot and the stumps were not too classy tonight. In fact it was a horse of another colour entirely. Not saying they’re ready for the glue factory but really, the old gray mare just ain’t what she used to be. The horse shoes fell out of Baloney Mitchell’s ass.

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 3:13 pm //

What do you think happens when calgary starts to get healthy. They are pretty good as a patch work. Better try to get those wins against us while you stand half a chance,

6. Scottsask // July 14, 2017 at 11:20 pm //

Snicker.

7. justforkicks // July 14, 2017 at 11:21 pm //

Yah Horsie don’t put the cart before the horse.

8. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm //

wow such participation tonight, I guess the mouths like to flap after a stamps loss. I guess you folks don’t get too many opportunities.

Let me ask you. If Calgary wins next week will you all be here typing like you are tonight???????

9. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:27 pm //

FYI some of you really have to stop taking everything I say so seriously.

• EvilEmpire // July 15, 2017 at 8:56 am //

WTF is this nonsense ?

You could keep your mouth shut. Nobody likes front running internet trolls.
      I’ve not posted here before today. But, I have followed along since the season began.

Talk all the trash you want hidden in that box in front of you, as you are. Take every bit of the meaningful existence in your life, by trying to live vicariously through the achievements of others.

Well when “we” win, life is great, and you act like a clown in here. When you lose, be a man. Instead you claim ” virtual ” victory. How lame is that crap ? Sounds like something you’d hear from a Rider fan.

Yes, the Internet is your domain. Too bad you can’t stand on your own two feet.

Humility 101, kid.

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 10:04 am //

Thanks for taking such interest in me. Welcome to my fan club. Don’t worry I don’t charge a thing 🙂

10. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:37 pm //

There seemed to me some mysterious black things on the turf. Looked like little ball bearings to me. I think Montreal put those there. That’s way Odasie slipped.

11. antoine lussier // July 14, 2017 at 11:57 pm //

alouette –gentil alouette –alouette ,je te plumerais–I bet the horsemen are not singing that tonight–they’re probably singing wilf carter’s :”we’re heading for the Calgary stampede”.

12. Stamps lose. Horsie eats crow. I have a bourbon in hand. Ah it’s good to be a Rider fan tonight!

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 12:44 am //

lol.
      The AL’s beating the stamps is cause for celebration for Riders fans? I guess your all live vicariously through others when you can’t win yourself.
      So……congratulations I guess

• The enemy of my enemy is my friend. See you at decrepit McMahon next week!

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 12:57 am //

so the AL’s are your friend?
          That makes no sense but then again nothing in riderville does.
          So you are going to game next week?

• Also you don’t see the irony? No one posts more in Rider articles than you!

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 1:01 am //

I post on all stories. Not just rider. It’s just that riderfans always want to start fight so I oblige.

• Wrong o horse e ol boy. You have a hate on for the riders and that’s your choice. But when you chirp – expect to get it back

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 10:07 am //

No irony to see here. Just green jealous milkshakes

13. Stamps were going to lose eventually. They do seem a bit out of sync this year, probably due to all the injuries. I think one of the TSN guys said earlier that Mitchell has never lost 2 in a row. It’ll be a snarly Stamps club when Riders come to town next week. Interesting to see what happens.

14. horsie your great quarterback showed up tonight not i suppose he is going to whine the als hit him to much and it is not fair or maybe he will blame the the refs

15. Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 11:41 am //

I just finished watching again. 15 uncalled holds by Montreal. 11 off sides. 5 procedures. Calgary was robbed

• Gimme a break. No missed calls against COWgary? Oh wait, you counted them too and there was one I suppose but there was probably a good reason for it. You brag before games. Like I said, shut up, take your lumps now that your forecast was wrong and take the high road. Maybe next time you will learn to, at least, save your bragging til AFTER the win.

• Now you’re just trying to be funny right ? I know messam had a good hold on a face mask

16. Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 11:43 am //

If Huff doesn’t file a grievance I will.
    I don’t know why this league has it out for us!!

17. White Horse // July 15, 2017 at 12:15 pm //

Hors E Power…if it were not for you, these guys would not have a single thing to whine about. Keep stirring the pot buddy they will all be cooked by the Stamps in the long run.

18. ,,Patience // July 15, 2017 at 12:20 pm //

Oh get over it. Your team lost. The league is no more out for the Stamps than they are for the Riders and Chris Jones. Conspiracy theories be dammed. If you want to count uncalled penalties, then count them both ways. Calgary was off side several times without any flags. At least in that game, the refs let them play for the most part. If the Stamps ate as great as you say, they will recover next game and not look back.

19. Riders13 // July 15, 2017 at 2:29 pm //

Always great to see an eastern team lay the boots to a western rival. Also nice to see Durant have some success. Gonna be a battle in cowtown next week but the Riders will win like I predicted 6 weeks ago! Or I eat crow, one or the other lol. Is there a greater league than the CFL?

• Hors E Power // July 15, 2017 at 3:19 pm //

No greater league than the CFL that we can agree.
      Our Defence is vulnerable right now (especially the secondary), Glenn will make some big plays to your receivers no doubt about it. Calgary will need to hold this to field goals not TDs.
      I hope Branden Smith can get back in.

• White Horse // July 15, 2017 at 6:19 pm //

Better take a video of yourself eating crow today. Your going to need it. Be prepared!

20. lookie, lookie, who,s that in third place in the west now after this weekend.why its the unbeatable, great cowtown crew. looks like the slide down the standings has begun.go lions.

• Hors E Power // July 16, 2017 at 10:04 pm //

Really? you are going to make fun of Calgary? What place are the riders in? Please tell me