Karen Kuldys speaks after losing a million dollars

Karen Kuldys seems like a nice lady who just got screwed out of a million bucks.

The Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan – she and her husband Stan went to a game on one of their first dates – have given a series of interviews in the wake of the horrendous call that cost them a million dollars in the Safeway and Sobeys Touchdown to Win contest, which pays $1 million if two kickoffs are returned for touchdowns in the same game.

“I was a bad call away from a million dollars,” she told Darrin Bauming on the TSN1290 post-game show. “I’m not a professional CFLer but I knew it was not a penalty.”

Kuldys also spoke to Devon Heroux at CBC and said the family would have used the money to allow their daughter – who is a manager at Superstore, a Safeway rival – to stay home with Karen’s young granddaughter.

“First thing I said to Stan was that Michelle could stay home with the baby. Yesterday she said ‘mom I’m pretty emotional, it’ll be hard to go back to work,'” Karen told Heroux.

Karen seems a little overwhelmed by the attention – she handed the phone to Stan in the middle of the TSN interview when the talk turned to football – and it took some time for her to fully understand how badly she’d been hosed.

“I was in the kitchen washing dishes after supper, my husband was in the living room watching the game,” Kuldys told Bauming. “My son called… saying we’d won something: pots and pans I thought.”

Still, she’s figured it out now.

“My heart just sank and I thought — oh my god how close could I get to one million dollars,” she told Heroux. “You got to be kidding me. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it right now.”

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (906 Articles)

42 Comments on Karen Kuldys speaks after losing a million dollars

1. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 12:23 am //

I Remember the time I was only off by 4 numbers on the 649.

• Bill McCartney // July 14, 2017 at 9:37 am //

Your a doink, empathy not in your vocabulary I see you jealous Libtard. Go back and stand in the corner, grade 3
      ? You need to repeat. ha ha

• Philly Canuck // July 14, 2017 at 9:58 am //

He’s from Alberta…how can he be a “Lib” anything?

Speaking of belonging back in Grade 3, Bill…

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 10:09 am //

It’s not about sympathy. It’s about peoples’ attitudes. When an unjust/unfairness is experienced they think someone out there should “make it up” to them . That’s not how it works in this world. .
        I think TSN/Safeway could have a PR opportunity here but it is entirely up to them and in no way are they obligated

• You know, I’m with you for once, Horse E. I’m really sick of people standing up for what’s right, trying to suggest that injustice could be avoided or remedied. Losers.

• Daywalker // July 14, 2017 at 8:40 pm //

6/49 I had all six numbers off by one

2. Glen Johnsons horrendus performance finally has the attention it deserves.

3. There are times when I’ve considered not watching CFL games anymore due to the poor quality of refereeing. It’s a shame because the CFL game itself is so exciting to watch, but for many many years the refereeing has been sub par. There was no penalty on the play ( and I’m not an Argo fan) and I it’s cost Karen a million dollars.
    The League should do something for Karen.

4. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 12:42 am //

An autographed mini football?

• Yeah, that or season’s tickets to Argo games so they can get the attendance up to 216 people a game.

5. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 1:04 am //

It’s TSN’s and Safeway’s promotion. If anyone could step in it’s one of these.
    It is unfortunate I will say but the league is not responsible for a promotion they have no control over.

• Safeway is major CFL sponsor. You can bet that Safeway/Sobeys has told the CFL that if a kick off is returned for TD make sure another one isn’t called.
      They aren’t going to pay out 1 million and the CFL is not going to back down to a major sponsor.
      The fix was in

6. Solara2000 // July 14, 2017 at 2:06 am //

It’s not just about the decisions the referees have to make but the ludicrous rules that place them into difficult decisions. The fact that a story on this site ( Lulay and technology”) seems to celebrate an interference call after the 5 yard ‘bump’ grace, is one prime example of a rule ruining the game,. It is a contact sport and if we want to see less pass interference calls revert the contact area back to 10 yards. And while they are at it, get on the same the page with the Players Association and do something about the restrictions on contact practices – don’t know if the data would bear this out, but it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between limited contact practice and the seemingly increasing # of injuries incurred during games.

7. Bill McCartney // July 14, 2017 at 3:43 am //

I posted on the other article and referenced the call in ? I believe said Judy, sorry its late..lol I meant Karen.

8. Edward Leslie // July 14, 2017 at 4:19 am //

Ben Major should be dismissed from his job. Not just for that horrendous call on the kick return TD, but the phantom pass interference call in the end zone and the non call on “Poop” Johnson forearm smash to Ricky Ray’s skull. Ben Major should be ashamed of himself for a job thoroughly messed up!
    Kudos to classy Chris Cuthbert and Jock Climie for being sympathetic to Karen, but I’ve lost all respect for Milt Stegall and Rod Smith for making light of that poor lady getting ripped off. I bet if someone tried to shortchange them, they’d sue and make a federal case out of it. Replace Milt on the panel with the lovely Kate Mckenna and bring back Dave Randorf as host.

9. Beamreach // July 14, 2017 at 6:10 am //

Milt was a great receiver ,not a good panel member agreed.
    I also am not enjoying the CFL as much because of Officiating over the past years…..still watching

10. If i was in that position I think I would…well i can’t say on this site lol. After seeing the replay I can’t believe that was called a penalty just showed the incompetence of the officiating in the cfl. Embarrassing..feel bad for Karen

11. The CFL relies heavily on promotions and their poor reffing is undermining that. Wonder if this will finally force them to change things. Probably not, but this story is a classic bush league headline – exactly what the CFL is trying to avoid. That sucks.

12. I wonder how much Safeway is paying the official who made the terrible call?

• GoCats! // July 14, 2017 at 9:14 am //

If anyone paid off the official to avoid paying the $1 million it would be the insurance company.

Until so many $1 million prizes happen that the insurance company (and competitors) raise premiums, Safeway has no reason to add to their costs by paying an official.

• Ok. How much did the insurance pay?
        All this is said with tongue in cheek. The main point us that the officiating in the CFL stinks. Someone made a suggestion to go back to the 10 yard chuck rule. Makes sense.

13. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 10:29 am //

Again ,not the CFL’s promotion. It’s all up to TSN and Safeway.
    It was NOT the responsibility of the CFL nor does it behoove them in anyway to oblige this woman just because the officials made a call

• Gooseen // July 14, 2017 at 1:19 pm //

True that it’s not the CFL’s responsibility, but they would vet any promotion that carries their name. In this case, the CFL should NOT do anything because it would undermine the relationship with the officials (who are partners with the league) and cause more problems than solutions. TSN is just the broadcaster and have no skin in this particular problem. Safeway could make a PR gesture to top up the home entertainment system that Karen did win…but again, it undermines the relationship with the league and officials. If Safeway says, “Here’s something extra for that bad call”, then the CFL would be like, “Wait a minute, are you questioning our game? Maybe we’ll find another national sponsor – like Superstore.”

14. dennis cooke // July 14, 2017 at 10:48 am //

It was not a bad call it was the right one, sorta like the Grey Cup game Calgary vs Hamilton we all know the play. Nothing can be done

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 11:27 am //

it was a little different than that. The GC penalty affected the return and running route of Banks. This one was well behind the play and made no difference.
      However as said this still doesn’t entitle her to compensation

• I was thinking that it reminded me of the call that cost the Ticats the 2014 Grey Cup. Whether it was good or bad remains a matter of opinion but at best it’s borderline. It’s certainly a very unfortunate turn of events for Karen and her family.

• The block in the 2014 was OBVIOUS – if Tank had not illegally blocked the Calgary player, Banks would’ve been tackled

• Nothing like the 2014 game. It was obvious back then that Tank had made a mistake and illegally blocked the Stamps defender. It was likely Banks would’ve been stopped if he hadn’t.

15. its KARMA, what goes around comes around

16. I heard a rumour that the “fix” was in. Safeway/Sobeys is a major CFL sponsor and they aren’t going to pay out 1 Million dollars. They have told the CFL that if a kick off is returned for a TD, make sure you throw a flag if another one look like it’s going for a TD.

17. Rob McDonald // July 14, 2017 at 12:13 pm //

If anyone cost this woman a million dollars it was Llevi Noel. He knows what the rules are, and he did not have to hit Mike Miller in the back. It was a pretty clear cut penalty. The rules do not allow for a different call if it’s away from the play. Where would you draw that line anyway??

• CC Rider // July 14, 2017 at 1:19 pm //

Yeah, he’s the one I want to hear from! How’s he feeling about all this?

Whether he pushed or not…don’t even put a hand on the guy at that point. Nothing good can come from it.

• Gooseen // July 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm //

To me it looked like he was maybe bracing for impact with Miller, or trying to steer Miller’s falling body away from his running line. Maybe everyone should be giving Miller kudos for drawing that penalty. It certainly worked.

18. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 12:53 pm //

I now know all players have a hidden mic the their helmets. The Argo player was hold to commit a penalty as the play was unfolding. The question is who told him?
    WE ARE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS PEOPLE

19. I’m sure the promotion was insured like a hole in one contest is ina golf tourney, Safeway wouldn’t have paid the money their insurance company would have. There is no fix here!!!

20. Frank Wachal // July 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm //

It was a penalty!!!!! you don’t say oh i’m not calling an obvious penalty so someone can win money!

21. White Horse // July 14, 2017 at 5:44 pm //

Karen still received $25,000.00 in home entertainment goods. Is that chump change?
    Everyone is making this out to be a prison term for players and officials. Poor Karen.

22. she sure received some nice consolation prizes. next to getting 1 mil she made out pretty good for entering a contest that cost her nothing.