The CFL clearly understands what Karen Kuldys went through after a blown call cost her a million dollars, but the league believes it was one that “could have gone either way.”

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie issued a statement regarding Kuldys and the egregious reffing error:

“We’re all fans and whatever team you root for, we would all love to see a CFL fan win a million dollars. So we all feel for Karen and what she must have gone through last night, and what she must still be feeling today. I was in Winnipeg for the game and I spoke with her today. On behalf of the CFL, I invited her and her family to come to Grey Cup this year as our guests,” said Randy Ambrosie, the CFL’s Commissioner. “I know Karen’s a Blue Bomber fan and her son plays football, so we spoke with Wade Miller, the President and CEO of the Bombers, this morning. He immediately pledged to provide Karen with Bombers season’s tickets for the rest of this season and next season as well. We all know these things can’t compare to a million dollars but we wanted to do something to let her and her family know that we all wished she could have won last night.”

“It was a very tough call made by our official last night, one that could have gone either way. There are tough calls made all the time in our game because these are world class athletes, moving at tremendous speeds, and we ask our officials to make difficult judgement calls in the blink of an eye, and we have to respect their decisions.”

The league invited Kuldys and her family to attend the Grey Cup as VIP guests while she received seasons tickets to the Bombers for two years and free groceries for a year at Safeway or Sobey’s.

All nice gestures, but no where close to one million dollars.

42 Comments on CFL commish Randy Ambrosie on #WhatAboutKaren call: “one that could have gone either way”

1. Your first test as commish Randy and you just blew it. We know now what we can expect from you. You should have admitted the league was wrong and apologized and announced action against the official as well as a proposal to upgrade officiating.

2. Riders13 // July 14, 2017 at 2:58 pm //

I like the way our new Commish has started his tenure and I’m sure a thorough review of officiating and replay policies and procedures is at the top of his list. As others more aptly commented Madani article, I won’t rehash it here but suffice it to say that the CFL officiating and replay officials are having a negative effect and perception on the CFL. Without a doubt, Glen Johnson needs to be held accountable for the weekly fiascos and by that I mean show him the door! (he had aspirations for the commissioner chair anyway). I feel for the Kuldys family, but I think the CFL, Blue Bombers and Safeway/Sobey’s got this one right. They can’t reverse a ref call and to think they should cough up the million bucks is ridiculous. Hell, I lost $50 bucks on the game and the gambling world is full of wins/losses that have been decided because of poor judgment calls.

3. Top Shelf, Commissioner Rander. Top Shelf. CFL – a fan friendly gesture.

4. RIDER FAN // July 14, 2017 at 3:12 pm //

I like it! Way to go Commissioner Ambrosie! Of course it sucks that Karen didn’t win the million, and unfortunately that’s the way sports goes sometimes but this is admirable of the new Commish of the CFL!

5. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 3:25 pm //

So what is inviting her and her family to be guest at the Grey Cup mean?
    All expenses paid?
    Meet me at the gate and I’ll hand you some tickets?
    I want more info.
    The Bombers giving her tickets is a nice gesture

6. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 3:27 pm //

So she will get to see Calgary beat her Bombers 38-10!!!!!!
    Remember I said that everyone

• doobzacheria // July 15, 2017 at 10:22 pm //

What does this have to do with anything?? Sadly you are currently under 50% troll posts vs good posts. You seem like a smart dude, maybe check your head?

7. You’re a very troubled kid that keeps trying to instigate a response with these childish comments.

The league invited her to the GC on them ( whatever that entails). The Bombers gave her season tickets for the rest of this year and next year. Safeway gave her free groceries for a year. I feel for her but to be very brutaly honest nobody owes her anything beside the 25,000$ prize she won. It was a class move on the part of all involved.

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm //

you’re an idiot

• Everyone On This Site // July 14, 2017 at 4:32 pm //

Why is he the idiot. You’re the one on here complaining and whining about what the league offered her. Can you not read? I love how when you are challenge or get hit in the mouth you fold and call people names. Your childish behavior is laughable. Not at work again eh bud? No surprise.

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 5:45 pm //

I merely asked what being a guest at the Grey Cup entails.
          Aren’t you curious? Of course you are but now you’ll say you aren’t because you know it would discredit you

• doobzacheria // July 15, 2017 at 10:26 pm //

The details on the Grey Cup invite are interesting. The immediate bravado saying that Calgary would beat Winnipeg by double digits had no place here. If this was a Stamps vs Bombers article then sure. Instead, it’s an article about Karen, and you pretty much said you’d rub it in her face when the Stamps win. If they do. (not gonna lie, I’ll take the Stamps over the Bombers, they are the better team through and through.)

8. Air Miles tweeted me too, they are giving her 500,000 Air miles as well.

9. Thank you for making my point, mrnehneh/ hors E/Stampland and whatever else you like to hide behind.

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 4:18 pm //

If you bothered to read my other comments on here you’d discover I actually agree with your assessment that she’s owed nothing. I also said parties involved could take it as a PR opportunity to give her something.
      Asking what this Grey Cup invite entails is a good question. I guarantee you many many others that read this article are asking themselves that same question

10. Scottsask // July 14, 2017 at 4:26 pm //

Well said Rico

11. Larry O // July 14, 2017 at 4:29 pm //

Ambrosie is talking about the call on the field by the official. No doubt it is a dificult game to officiate.The PROBLEM is that the command centre could have overturned the blatantly stupid call. That is what is so infuriating to CFL fans.

• Larry. Exactly the commissioner just failed his first test. It was not a close call on video review. The booth monkeys got it wrong again! Name them. Fire them!

12. Ticat Mike // July 14, 2017 at 4:32 pm //

Brandon Banks knows how you feel. Phantom marginal call robbed Cats of the Cup.

• Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 5:54 pm //

You still can’t get over your GC loss can you Ticat Mike
      You lost fair in square. You had NO answer for our Defense. The penalty was fair.
      Grab a box of Kleenex, sit in the corner, cry it out finally and DEAL WITH IT. Everyones gone home. The rings are made. No matter how much you wish there will be no replay for Hamilton

13. White Horse // July 14, 2017 at 4:57 pm //

Actually these infractions are stupid plays on behalf of the culprits playing this game. Taylor Reed was stupidly blatant with his hit to the back of a Stamps player in the 2014 GC. Last night the Argo player hit a player from behind (minor hit) when in fact the ball carrier was ahead of the play and could not have been tackled. Stupid play but there are many plays that are not called and a lot of players get away with them over and over. As a couch QB I see them happening all the time. I feel covering up a very marginal call by being overly generous to Karen solves nothing. To bad for all concerned but she deserved nothing from Safeway, Bombers or the CFL. The official made the call as he saw it so tough s..t.

14. Sideline Reporter // July 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm //

The CFL keeps shooting it self in the foot , the officiating has indeed gone down hill since Glen Johnson took,the helm , they in many aspects have become the 3rd team on the field . It is clear that we have lost thousands and tens of,thousands of fans over the last 3 or 4 years , at the stadiums and on television as avid viewers , my company has said no to season tickets in 3 cities because of,the officiating , that’s 15 season tickets in 3 cities , the Bomber defender clearly rolled into the Argo player, they are taught that , to make incidental contact , hopefully a penalty will result , our commissioner knows that , our officials knows that , the players know that , as a high school football coach for years , we all schooled our special teams , in this manner , because the Canadian officials always call it , it saved a touch down here , but a what cost / a complete embarrassment for the CFL, and our new Commisioner shows his colours and strength or lack there of / by turning his head away / what a turning point it could have been if he would have stood up and called a spade a spade / it’s too bad the executives that run the CFL / don’t realize that the fans are not servants to command but amazing citizens of Canada that are exiting the CFL as fast as the traffic leaving Toronto on a long weekend . Sad to say but this league which has elite first class athletes as the commissioner completely agrees too- has
    Left over leaders who have as much vision as the pizza which as been in the fridge since last Labor Day . Maybe it’s time for a new Football league to be created in Canada – with new visionary energy / one for the fans and players , maybe Rogers
    would come on board . Anyone going to the cottage – it’s time to leave the frustration of the CFL and enjoy the summer .

• If Rogers comes on board, there would need to be lots and lots of American teams. Need those Americans, need those Americans in Toronto. Something Canadian, no good.

15. Hors E Power // July 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm //

Your company has said no to season tickets specifically because of the officiating or just because of general lack of interest?

• mrincomprehensible // July 17, 2017 at 1:09 pm //

You copied and pasted it! It says officiating not lack of interest. Pay attention Horsey and you won’t make so many stupid comments!

16. Solara2000 // July 14, 2017 at 6:00 pm //

Ambroisie did the right thing; his actions were consistent with what one would expect from their boss or senior executive of their company/organization:
    1. expressed his empathy for Karen
    2. offered an expression of that empathy through the GC tickets & season tickets
    3. agreed it was a tough call to make
    4. did not hang the official – his employee – out to dry publicly
    While we don’t know for certainty what he will do behind the scenes, I suspect he will recommend a plan to
    upgrade the officiating and make whatever personnel moves are necessary.
    Accountability does not mean public castigation.

• That wasn’t a tough call, it was easy and everyone knows it, including Ambrosie who seems to be awfully facile at using euphemisms and weasel words to excuse abject incompetence by unqualified officials. He’s blundered badly on this issue to date.

The call ruined the game, it may have ruined Karen’s life, it is a kick in the teeth to the victimized team and all their hard work to get prepared for a fair game, it made a complete mockery of the CFL, embarrassing all those associated with the game, especially newbie Ambrosie. And it keeps getting worse.

The level of incompetence/mendaciousness shown by the miserable professional CFL official who threw that incomprehensible flag to simply exert his power to obliterate a spectacular play borders on an all-time futility record for the League. The guy need to be sent packing.

And the rules need to be changed to prevent that kind of rank incompetence to prevent a major score. The fans demand it, the players have earned it, the league desperately needs a way out of these game ruining and embarrassing decisions.

• Billinburlington // July 15, 2017 at 12:26 am //

Very well said, Solara2000. Ambrosie made a rationale and professional public response. What we may never know will be his behind the scenes work to review and learn from this specific incident; as you suggested I expect ( hope) a larger plan will emerge to improve the officiating.

17. BC Dave // July 14, 2017 at 7:32 pm //

I thought the Commish’s answer was fence-sitting BS. He had a chance to take the bull by the horns, and yes Solara, he could have done it without publicly humiliating and singling out his official / employee BUT…He could have admitted it was a bad call and the wrong call and apologized to the fans and Karen. In my opinion, he was more concerned about liability issues than the important issue of getting the right call so he was wishy washy and called it as “could have gone either way.” Truthfully, I did not see the play or a replay except for the blurry animated .GIF file that loops over and over. EVERYONE, except for one person on this site, that I have heard or read commenting on the play said it was another blown call.

Personally, I thought the new commish had the opportunity to grab the bull by the horns and make a statement that decent officiating will be a priority fix moving forward. I am already disappointed in his lack of taking a stand. He talks about the speed of the game and making calls on the fly. HELLOOOOOOO, we are not stupid. We know you have the ability to review plays. We are not as stupid as you hope we might be with that statement. Did you think we forgot about video review already?

18. BC Dave // July 14, 2017 at 7:35 pm //

My God. If we are going to get such shoddy officiating, we may as well hire monkeys to officiate games, save money and still have a 50/50 chance of getting the right call.

19. Well looks like Andy of Mayberry is running the CFL. This guy has no clue and just spews whatever corporate nonsense his puppeteer (Glen Johnson) tells him to say.

20. Jack Mailer // July 15, 2017 at 11:25 am //

I feel sorry for Karen and her family. The fact remains that whether the CFL got it wrong or not, since when a referee is supposed to make the right call so lotteries, sweepstakes, Las Vegas gambling are not upset. You can’t simply redo the call so an individual gain which is not related to championship is not taken away. The CFL and referee must not be influenced by gambling or sweepstakes or what will happen next? How would you like Mr Ambrosie to change calls after a game? Not at all?

21. I was quite happy when the new commissioner was announced, but very disappointed in his response. I’ve been a CFL fan for over 40 years. Don’t insult me and say that was a close call. Frankly, if that is what you believe, you don’t know much about the game (of which you participated in).
    I would have a lot more your respect for your comments if you admitted the officials messed up and didn’t try to play it down the middle.

22. If anyone thinks the Commissioner trashing his officials would be a good thing for the game is demonstrating a lack of understanding of human motivation.

It was a poor call and berating officials publicly is not leadership.

23. BJ Brunneg // July 15, 2017 at 5:19 pm //

You people are clowns. The call was made, and that’s that. Same as the call in the ’14 Grey Cup. Bad calls, but that’s life. Give it up.
    As for Karen and her family’s life being RUINED, are you out of your tiny little minds? She gets 2 years season tickets, free groceries for a year, seats to the Grey Cup, and the $25,000 home theatre system -all for simply entering her name in a contest! In what world does that ruin her life? I’d say it was a pretty fair deal for her.
    I once missed a $3 Million lottery prize by 2 numbers – and, I’m still alive. Guess I should have shot myself, since my life was “ruined”, by your definition.

Hellllllloooooooooooooooooooo………anybody home, McFly???

24. BC Dave // July 16, 2017 at 2:21 am //

Jusging by your rude post, name calling etc, I am going guess yes, you missing out on the $3M did have an adverse effect on your life…Well, at least your social skills. 🙂

But I am happy for you thinking you are right and everyone else is wrong. Keep telling yourself that sparky.

25. This league is a farce The truth is plain to see. The officials control the games outcome.They have shown it over and over every seasonWhy haven’t anybody been fired yet.They throw players out of games for confronting bad calls but nothing happens to them. Ive been a fan for 60 years but its time to move on.Bring in the NFL