Riders add veteran DB Jovon Johnson

The Riders have signed veteran defensive back Jovon Johnson to the practice roster.

The 33-year-old was released by Montreal on Saturday.

Johnson has played 10 CFL seasons for four different teams (Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal) and been a very productive player: he’s a five-time East All-Star, a two-time CFL All-Star, the 2011 CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player and a Grey Cup winner in 2007 with the Riders (albeit on the practice roster.)

33 Comments on Riders add veteran DB Jovon Johnson

1. By the looks of our backfield on Friday night, he is worth a good look!!

2. That was the last place I thought he’d land, but glad to see him go somewhere!

3. Rick cowan // June 19, 2017 at 1:07 pm // Reply

Great addition to the Rider’s he will help alot

4. horsieland // June 19, 2017 at 1:35 pm // Reply

Gee imagine the riders not being able to scout there own players. SHOCKER!!!!!

5. Oh look mr idiot has to chime in with his 2 cents.

6. It’s funny how the Rider fans chastise the other 8 teams fans about commenting on the Riders and never having anything positive to say. Yet when I look at this and other cfl message/discussion forums Rider fans are calling out and commenting on those posts/stories. Can’t have your cake and eat it too…

7. Anyone could see this one coming a mile away, why not just keep Fred Bennett, I think he was younger?

• My thought exactly! If Jevon still has gas in the tank he is a good cover guy and a good punt return man.

8. It’s no secret that we need secondary help but JJ is a little long in the tooth. Hopefully, he’s got a little left in the tank until the rookies get a little more experience.

9. Speculation that Bennett has moved on to post football opportunities.

10. BigRedMachine // June 19, 2017 at 2:09 pm // Reply

Always thought it strange that JJ moves around to so many teams since he seems to be a pretty good player.

11. So no other teams have players that played for other teams. Is that right Horsieland?

• horsieland // June 19, 2017 at 2:22 pm // Reply

Not to the extent of the riders. They just wait to see who’s cut and pick them up. The other day I commented how Jones and Murphy would be shopping yestersay.I was called stupid and yet I was right again

12. And this is a big concern of yours because?

• BleedzGreen // June 19, 2017 at 7:09 pm // Reply

Because he’s a troll, and he’s looking for any and all means to get a rise out of Rider fans.

This past weekend horsieland had 2 of my posts taken down, which for the record contained no profanity. I merely used a common expression I felt (and still feel) sums up his so-called “opinion”. I don’t know about others, but the fact 3DN allows him to denigrate the Riders and berate us fans day in and day out has always given me pause. The fact they’ve removed harmless expressions directed at him only validates my concern.

By my count horsieland’s been trolling this site for 5 months and he STILL manages to provoke a response to his antagonising comments. The only thing he’ll get from me hereon in is confirmation that he’s a troll, and I’d highly recommend that others do the same. He’s not just making a fool of himself with these comments.

BTW, 3DN is no longer sending me “New Post” and “New Comment” notices. This despite that I’ve requested them.

• horsieland // June 19, 2017 at 7:33 pm // Reply

And many others have had post removed for horrible things they say to me. .ENJOY THE SEASON EVERYONE

13. Every team in the league kicks tires after cutdown day, don’t be ridiculous.

14. Sucks that Butler, Roberts, and Bingham all got injured.

The secondary was a train wreck after Butler went down in Vancouver. The team is really on high Bingham. Roberts more than held his own if I remember correctly. Once they are healed up I’d be shocked if they weren’t back in Regina.

• Yeah, I hope they get a 2nd look as well. Roberts and Bingham were 25 and 24 respectively but Butler was 30. Would’ve liked to have seen Bingham in some pre-season action.

15. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bingham starts the year in the injured list.

16. Also Jovon Johnson would have at least a bit of knowledge of the Alouette offense.

• horsieland // June 19, 2017 at 4:52 pm // Reply

If Jones needs to rely on this to game plan he’s worse off than I thought

• Maybe but it doesn’t make sense to cut him outright as other teams can then pick him up or sign him. A quick look at the Riders website shows approx 56 players on the roster (another 10 on PR) so that implies that the Riders will have 10-11 players on the injured list that they have to reveal 24 hours before Thursday’s game.

17. Almost every team is the league does that, don’t be silly.

18. He can’t hurt. If they get a year out of him he’ll be an asset. Let’s be honest, outside of Rodgers & Gainey the DB’s are pretty much a big ?????

19. Judge Jones // June 19, 2017 at 10:11 pm // Reply

So much for the rebuilding program. From a bad backfield to another bad backfield. Durant is licking his chops.

20. horsieland // June 20, 2017 at 10:55 am // Reply

Darian will be player of week for week 1

21. Quite possibly, a lot will depend on montreals o line. The Riders played their backups against BCs starting line all game and got some good pressure. He could just as easy end up on the injured list after week one.