Argos part ways with quarterback Drew Willy

The Toronto Argonauts have released quarterback Drew Willy.

He was acquired via trade last September with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In January, Willy agreed to a restructured contract with the Argos, which included a $70,000 signing bonus.

After Toronto got Willy he played in four games completing 77 of 113 passes for 681 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. He did not even dress in the Argos final pre-season game.

While with the Bombers, Willy made 28 starts completing 513-of-781 passes (65.7 per cent) for 6,385 yards, 31 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. The University of Buffalo product began his CFL career with Saskatchewan in 2012 and he was traded to Winnipeg on February 2014.

31 Comments on Argos part ways with quarterback Drew Willy

1. horsieland // June 17, 2017 at 10:20 pm //

In other words the Saskatchewan Roughriders sign QB Drew Willy

2. Definitely has to do with my guy Cody Fajardo outplaying him and winning backup job. Argos future QB.

3. The Drew Willy trade will haunt Jim Barker forever.

4. The only reason that Popp/Trestman can get away with this and not look foolish after a first round pick was given up in the trade, is because they didn’t actually make the deal.

5. Calgary should pick him up. insurance for Bo Levi

6. Call me crazy but the Riders could do worse than getting Willy. Jones needs to win now. If Glenn goes down I’m not sure if Bridge or Williams are ready yet though I think both have potential. Really like Williams but needs time. If Willy can get his confidence back he could help.

• horsieland // June 18, 2017 at 12:02 am //

Could do worse? They have worse

• Riderfan Ron // June 18, 2017 at 6:02 am //

I’ll second that. You’re crazy. Sure, we could do worse, but we could do a whole lot better as well. And unless we think Vince isn’t coming back I wouldn’t bother picking up anyone right now. Jones never likes to leave a stone unturned, however, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they did bring someone in regardless. I was never a big fan of Shaky. I thought he had an average arm and below average mobility. I never thought he would become a solid starter. He proved me wrong one year in Winnipeg, but in the long run I think I was right. I expect he’ll get picked up pretty quickly by Hamilton. My guess is that it was Tillman who put him on our neg. list in the first place.

7. Goldwing66 // June 17, 2017 at 11:20 pm //

That would be like picking up a can of gasoline in case you have a fire…. Now Thats an accurate – and damned funny too 🙂

8. Lol Mark! Funny but true.

9. OilRider // June 18, 2017 at 1:22 am //

Was wondering how The Troll would make this about the Riders. There ya go.

Gotta say that sucks for the Argos though, to give up so much for a guy just to cut him. But, you gotta assume Popp/Trestman know what they’re doing

10. A lot of good young QBs out there. The best teams find a way to keep at least one of them to hopefully develop into potentially the next guy. Argos certainly have lost a few good ones fairly recently – thank you the Ticats and Redblacks say to that – Willy has had his opportunities with 3 different teams. In hindsight he probably should of stayed with the Riders as a solid #2 and waited for his shot there. For Collaros and Harris leaving the Argos worked out for them. For Willy leaving the Riders has been the opposite for him.

11. Told you.

12. Good Luck Drew Willy
    All the best hope to see
    You back in the green and white soon!

13. Dan Bombers // June 18, 2017 at 12:31 pm //

Really liked willy just couldn’t stay healthy funny how things can change so fast in the cfl

14. Marty-Moose // June 18, 2017 at 3:33 pm //

Willy looked to have little to no confidence for the past 1.5 seasons. QBs gotta be leaders. At this point, Willy is not a viable option for any team.

15. Tiger man // June 21, 2017 at 9:26 am //

Barker’s move to acquire Willy was a big mistake.

Problem was that EVERYONE could see that BEFORE the trade, except him.

This was typical as to why the argos were such a train wreck in the end.