Ricky Foley drawing interest from several teams

Veteran Canadian defensive end Ricky Foley is in talks with multiple CFL franchises.

That said, the 34-year-old is willing to be patient and if a deal can’t be reached, he’ll wait until ratio scenarios and injuries play out at training camps across the league before making a decision. He’s only putting pen to paper with a team that can win and doesn’t want to go through another 5-13 season that ends in October.

“I could care less about money, I’ve been very fortunate and blessed outside of football. I want to be part of a great locker room again, where everybody commits to the same thing again…a championship,” Foley says. “I want to still love the game when I’m done because it has done so much for me and my family. If there isn’t an opportunity with who I think is a serious contender, I’m done.”

Back on May 10, Foley sent out a cryptic Tweet that some took as an indication he had signed with a team.

But the Tweet was only intended to signify that Foley was going off the grid until he signs.

The Courtice, ON native was released by the Toronto Argos on March 31.

Overall, Foley has played for three different CFL teams – Lions, Argos and Riders – during 11 CFL seasons while winning a Grey Cup with each franchise. Eight of those years the York University product played in every single game possible for his team. He’s made 346 career tackles, 60 sacks, 56 special teams tackles, 10 forced fumbles, one interception and scored one touchdown in 182 regular season games. Foley’s best season came on 2009 with BC when he amassed a career-high 12 sacks and won the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian award.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (428 Articles)

27 Comments on Ricky Foley drawing interest from several teams

1. mrnehnehincognito // May 23, 2017 at 4:27 pm //

We’ll see if he holds true to just wanting to win (ie Winnipeg/Ottawa/Hamilton) or just bites the hook with the most money on it (ie sask) .
    I assume Calgary wouldn’t have much interest

• I know that just about everyone in Canada pays little attention to what goes on west of the Rockies, but BC did have the second best regular season in the CFL last year and Wally is building a win it now team as this might be his last season.

So, come on Ricky go west to the site of your best success.

• Marc Lebut // May 24, 2017 at 9:32 am //

Lulay is the only player over 32 on BC’s roster. Says much about what Wally thinks of veterans.

2. Antlerman // May 23, 2017 at 7:01 pm //

Ricky would be a good fit for BC and has won everywhere he went

3. Rick cowan // May 23, 2017 at 7:36 pm //

I think maybe Foley may sign with the Riders he would be a good fit with the Riders with Jefferson at one end and Foley at the other

• mrnehnehincognito // May 23, 2017 at 7:47 pm //

old past prime Canadian who doesn’t want a long term commitment to a team?? Yep he would be a perfect fit for the riders

• ,,Patience // May 23, 2017 at 8:38 pm //

He won’t come to the Riders. He said he wants to go to a winning team. That ruled out the Riders.

• But he wants to win another championship stampland so I doubt he wants to go to the riders

4. Antlerman // May 23, 2017 at 7:58 pm //

Maybe he should go to the Stamps might be able to show them how to win the big game instead if choke when it matters

• Like when the riders choked cause they couldn’t count after blowing a big lead ?like that antlerman

• mrnehnehincognito // May 23, 2017 at 10:02 pm //

That would be great. Just like he taught the riders not to blow a 27-11 lead with 7 minutes left and taught them not to get so frazzled they can’t get the proper personnel on the field for the final play ……..OHHHH SORRY, IS IT STILL TOO SOON

5. Facts Are Facts // May 23, 2017 at 10:24 pm //

mrnehnehincognito or 900 handles used on here is clueless like always. Foley doesn’t care for Jones and Jones doesn’t care for him either. Not coming to Saskatchewan.

6. Antlerman // May 23, 2017 at 10:44 pm //

900 Handles haha thats for sure

• mrnehnehincognito // May 23, 2017 at 10:48 pm //

so what? is it a crime to reply? are you wanting to disparage me for being such a passionate devoted CFL fan??

7. I see Ricky staying east or BC where his wife is from.

8. Antlerman // May 23, 2017 at 11:38 pm //

Jon speaks facts

9. LosDrahos // May 23, 2017 at 11:49 pm //

Wow!!Stick to the article guys!! Take your own advise and STFU as well. All of you. Stick to the article.
    Foley to BC.

10. Antlerman // May 24, 2017 at 12:11 am //

I like Jon

• mrnehnehincognito // May 24, 2017 at 12:37 am //

yeah you would. It’s like being at a game involving riders,Suddenly they get lippy …when in numbers

11. well Im over 40 so I don’t fall into this category

Laughable and truly pthetic true since you act like a 5 yr old on here.

12. mrnehnehincognito // May 24, 2017 at 12:48 am //

Good Night, I hope some of you are less grouchy tomorrow.

13. How did this house end up with Riderfans most pathetic?

14. Be a good backup for Capricotti in Hamilton so the Cats can unleash all those great american receivers they have. At least until Fantuz can play again.

• Their 1st round pick is going to cover the backup spot for Capricotti, I think we’re good without Foley.

15. 3RD AND 1 // May 24, 2017 at 7:58 pm //

This thread of comments is despicable. It has nothing to do with “Rider” fans. I read trash from all fans on here. This is exactly why TSN got rid of comments a couple years ago. Juvenile petti BS. Grow up people.