Riders acquire Canadian safety Mike Edem from B.C. Lions

The Saskatchewan Roughriders acquired national safety Mike Edem from the B.C. Lions on Thursday.

The two teams also swapped conditional 2018 draft picks.

The six-foot-one, 210-pound Edem was originally taken in the first round, third overall, in the 2013 CFL draft by the Montreal Alouettes. He was traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in October 2015 before signing as a free agent with B.C. before last season.

Edem, 27, has started 33-of-60 career regular-season games, registering 91 tackles, 29 special-teams tackles, six interceptions and five sacks. He was a 2013 East Division all-star and Montreal’s nominee as outstanding rookie.

Riders will likely start a Canadian safety this season having signed Marc-Olivier Brouillette in free agency. They also have veteran Jeff Hecht and Tevaughn Campbell, both national defensive backs, under contract.

– CP

50 Comments on Riders acquire Canadian safety Mike Edem from B.C. Lions

1. Looking like we will be using a lot of Canucks on D this year.

2. Scottsask // May 11, 2017 at 1:20 pm //

One more plug in the dam, so much for no quality Canadian depth. Right Horsieland?

3. Good pickup if he can return to his rookie year play.

• Marc Lebut // May 17, 2017 at 9:22 am //

Well, that’s the question about Edem.

This guy had a standout rookie season and lost his spot next season to the guy he replaced. Then, he’s traded to Hamilton, but Steinauer and Austin don’t bother losing him. Wally sings him big CFL bucks, and when he loses Philips, he trades him.

For sure, either something is wrong with this guy or his agent is Hardaway.

4. Patience // May 11, 2017 at 2:07 pm //

Only if they can get him to re negotiate his contract. Apparently, he makes $140,000. It has been reported that if the Riders can’t get that price tag down, he will be cut. He could very easily become another statistic in this Chris Jones regime. Welcome, Mr Eden, to the revolving door team, where every player stops for a cup of coffee.

5. Scottsask // May 11, 2017 at 2:15 pm //

You should change your handle patience.

6. mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm //

Not a bad trade fills an immediate need for sure . What are the conditions of this trade?

7. Antlerman // May 11, 2017 at 2:35 pm //

Good pickup worth a shot if he fits IF he doesnt cut him

8. Patience // May 11, 2017 at 2:41 pm //

I will not change my handle. I will muster up enough patience to bide my time until I can wave goodby to both Jones and Murphy. I know Jones’ contract is too big and so we are stuck with him at least one more year. The grease fire will not be put out until he is gone. Jones has shown me nothing to believe otherwise.

• Ladd Law // May 11, 2017 at 2:59 pm //

Is your bandwagon at least painted Green? Were you around during the 80’s and 90’s or just jumped on lately. Riders are heading in the right direction and will be much improved. At this point in time anything is possible and the Riders have as good a shot at the cup as anyone. Go Riders.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 3:25 pm //

Just hold on to that dream Ladd Law…you are precious don’t ever change 🙂

• Patience // May 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm //

I was cheering for the Riders in the seventies and the eighties, nineties, etc. I remember Lancaster and Reed. And everyone since. I am not as optimistic as you. I am having trouble seeing the good team through the smoke from the grease fire that the Riders have become.

• Ladd Law // May 11, 2017 at 8:40 pm //

Maybe it’s dirt in your eyes from the face plant when you jumped off the wagon. It’s not optimism, it’s just not pessimism. Too early to say what’s going to happen. But I do know that the season will start, games will be played, and in the end someone hoists a cup. I am not now or will I rule out the Riders for that moment. I remember ’89 well, and things seemed pretty bleak that year about this time. How did that end?

• ,,Patience // May 11, 2017 at 9:41 pm //

If you remember 89, then you should know that is a bad comparison. The 88 Riders made the playoffs with an 11 and 7 record. I believe 8 players were named Western All stars. They had a core of players going into 89 the like of Elgaard, Fairholm, Jurasin, Aldag, Suitor, Richie Hall, Narcisse, Poley, Ridgeway, Goldsmith; to name a few. They had a bona fide starting quarterback in Kent Austin. Their backup quarterback was another starter by the name of Tommy Burgess. Heard of him? They were often referred to as a blue collar football team that worked hard and played for each other. Oh yes, I remember 89 very well but fail to see how you could possibly compare that team with the fragmented offering that we have now. There is no core here that makes a team; only a bunch of individuals that wear the same color jersey. Don’t know who our starting quarterback or running back will be. It was not a team made up of everyone else’s backups. I don’t really think you remember that era or that team too well.

• ,,Patience // May 11, 2017 at 9:51 pm //

Perhaps I should have added that they had a coach named John Gregory who sometimes lost his temper, not very often, but was not known for lieing and cheating.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 10:41 pm //

lolololol
            in 89 you had Kent Austin and Tom Burgess at QB.

• Yes patience, I was a fan of the Green and White when the eskimos in the early-’70’s were the nemesis of Reed and Lancaster. Some great games, though. Oh my, has football changed. You probably recall the games in Rider Town where there wasn’t a green and white jersey to be seen in the stands but the fans were just as boisterous without the Halloween costumes. And in ’89, I was at the Grey Cup and actually had a few with Premier Devine before the game at a Rider social. Funny thing, he had his tie on backwards (no pun). Absolutely great game, probably one of the finest ever. Though, I have to admit, Harry Skipper got a few breaks from the sideline judge, Larry Rowan. But don’t give up on the Green and White just yet. Times are interesting, and if you should throw out the white towel. At least, keep the green towel around.

• ,,Patience // May 13, 2017 at 3:22 pm //

Perhaps the greatest Grey Cup ever, or certainly among the top. That to me was a dream team; the 89 Riders had so many good hard working players with so much character. Anyone who remembers that team will also know the commeraderie and the stories from such greats as Polecat, Elgaard, Jurrasin, Aldag, just to name a few. They seemed to be team full of colourful but strong and loyal character. I remember Poley telling a story in which he was still with the Stamps but hated it there so he went ballistic on a Calgary coach so that he would get cut and could rejoin the Riders.
            I have not given up on the green and white, only put my jersies in the back of the closet for now, along with my Rider Pride. It is only the guy dressed in black, Chris Jones, that has left me feeling disgusted. But the Riders are much bigger than any one man, even Mr Jones. And at some point, he will be gone and the Riders will once again be a team that Saskatchewan can be proud of.

9. mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm //

Now if only Edem could play starting QB and could run though holes on offence like Jon Cornish you might really be on your way

10. Patience // May 11, 2017 at 2:46 pm //

The conditions include each team getting a conditional draft pick. Apparently, Eden makes $140,000. If the Riders cannot renegotiate his contract, they will cut him and he will just be another footnote in Jones revolving door roster.

11. Patience // May 11, 2017 at 2:52 pm //

Has any one else noticed that our young QBs are retiring while our old ones are hanging in there? So much for having a stable of young promising quarterbacks that just need developing. We don’t have a youth movement; we have an aging movement.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 3:26 pm //

and for a team without a starter there are only 4 signed for camp. Guess Young doesn’t have to worry

• Dan Bombers // May 11, 2017 at 9:30 pm //

Hahahahaha an aging movement that’s good stuff right there

12. mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 3:29 pm //

So if Jones can’t get him resigned he will be released to go where ever he wants. Sounds like Edem got the best deal of all.

13. Patience // May 11, 2017 at 3:45 pm //

But wait! They tell me not to worry. Jones and Murphy will turn over some more stones and out will crawl a fantastic young quarterback who will play in Saskatchewan for almost no money and will lead this team, kicking and screaming, to the winners circle. What a relief!

• Ladd Law // May 12, 2017 at 3:44 pm //

Maybe just become a Stumps fan. They seem to be the be all. According to a few here they just have to show up and the cup is theirs. To call yourself a fan then be critical at each and every nuance suggest you’re pretty much a fair weather fan. The most rewarding thing being a longtime Rider fan is watching the bandwagoneers bounce on and off. Kind of like Canuck fans.

• ,,Patience // May 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm //

In forty years of being on the green band wagon, this is my first time off. I don’t consider myself a fair weather fan. I cheered for them when they had an 11 year drought from the playoffs. I remember the song sang by some Rider players called 11 is enough. I was on the band wagon through all those tough years. But in all that time, we never had a coach that i found quite so arrogant, deceitful and absolutely despicable. And that is my problem. No coach has ever racked up that amount of fines and diminished Rider Pride and the Rider brand and in only one season. Cannot and will not cheer for Jones and his attitude.

• Patience, I could not write above to your reply but I knew a lot of the players from the ’89 team, and you’re right, it was a different era in the CFL. Many of the former players such as Lowe, Elgaard, Milson Jones, Dave Ridgway and even Austin, were very personable. Glad to hear that you’re not giving up the fight on the Riders. I know that you have a real dislike for Jones, but see what the Riders have to offer this season. There are a lot of naysayers in the league that are extremely negative on the team (and perhaps even jealous) due to the support this team receives. It really is Canada’s Team as some will discourage that thought. But stay with the flow. Yes, Jones has left many of us questioning his decisions. I personally was frustrated with the losses of Dressler, Chick, and primarily Durant. Durant was a leader and a decent quarterback for this organization. And now what have we left? But I do believe Chris Jones is turning over every stone he possibly can to bring this team back. Give him a chance.

• ,,Patience // May 13, 2017 at 4:58 pm //

Sorry, greenrider89 but Chris Jones’s chances are over for me. I do question his decisions, for sure. A certain radio sports show yesterday ranked Montreal as first in the east this year because they have a starting quarterback this year in Durant and Noel Thorpe’s defence is usually one of the best defences in the league. I agree. Yet Durant was not good enough for the Riders? And please don’t bother filling me in on the salary cap. I know all about it. How much are they paying Dennis? They had a very good left tackle here in X, at a fraction of the price. Let’s assume that Young plays well. Next year, he would then want a great deal more money because he is only signed for one year. So then Jones lets him go and goes back to the rock pile? How are some of these moves going to result in a sustainable successful team? I have been a football fan for more years than I care to admit. I have seen dynasties and tragedies. I fail to see how this revolving door will ever lead to success. A good coach finds the best players he can and develops a system to utilize their strengths; not look for his “body type” that will fit into his system that is apparently set in stone. But aside from his decisions which I question, it is his integrity which I no longer have any doubt about. He has proven to me that he has no integrity with his lieing, cheating, badmouthing players, refusing to shake hands with opposing coaches, instructing other coaches about their class (really?) and I could go on and on. The bottom line is that no matter what happens this year under Chris Jones, I will leave my Rider green in the closet.

• I hear you, Patience. When the naysayers were coming out on the Rider talk shows wanting Durant benched, or worse, cut, I was one of the few supporters that interjected conversations with Durant being kept as a mainstay with the organization. Durant is a winner. He led the team to a decisive victory in 2013. He nearly upset the Montreal Alouettes in 2009 and 2010. Sadly, many fans will always look at Durant as an average QB. And what did Jones get for Durant’s salary? A 38-year old journeyman quarterback in Kevin Glenn and hopefully, a one-year (34-year old) wonder in Vince Young. With both salaries combined, that should achieve or slightly eclipse the salary Durant wanted. I know what you’re saying. Yet, in the history of the Roughriders, Durant was one of the most successful quarterbacks we had, only to be dispatched to Montreal, just when the new stadium is about to open. Sad indeed? Yes, absolutely so. I guess from the sometimes miserable, but proud history of this organization, I’m giving this person in black, second, third, and even fourth chances. But my patience, as a long-time season ticket holder and former media person, is starting to run thin. But I will hold on for at least another year, and maybe a few more. Take care.

• ,,Patience // May 13, 2017 at 1:09 pm //

The most irritating thing to me is to call yourself a Rider fan and follow Jones like a sheep to slaughter, even though the evidence is there that he lies and cheats. Jones has done damage to the pride and brand of this team. The Rider franchise is bigger than Chris Jones. Although with his ego, he probably doesn’t see that. I love the franchise, hate this regime.

• Ladd Law // May 15, 2017 at 1:03 pm //

No sheep here and the slaughter is just in your mind. You can’t suggest what will happen at this point in time. What I see from Jones is a coach who knows how to communicate with character players and help them remain humble and with their eye on the prize, not their wallets. It’s my contention that this year will be vastly different than last and the Riders will be much improved. Lies and cheats is a stretch and don’t think he’s alone in his thinking. I guarantee you other GM’s around the league are stretching the rules, but for whatever reason the Riders are in the spotlight.

14. mrnehnehincognito // May 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm //

The day Jones signed Young was the day he decided who his starting QB was. Yes Jones says the right things by saying Young is just here to compete. If this was true Jones would have tired out 50 different QB’s this off seasons and he would have had many many at mini camp last month. Jones bring sin big numbers when looking for players. He’s a probability GM. Meaning if you have enough bodies the probability is high eventually you will find what you are looking for.

15. Seems to me like Jones is turning over every rock (possibly every pebble). Question(s) being: Where do they plan to use this fellow? I know Jones likes versatility. Would they consider switching Mike Edem or Marc Olivier-Broulette to an outside linebacker position while the other stays home at safety should both be listed on the 46-man roster? Or would one move inside to defensive halfback? Like the Canadian content. Interesting times, indeed!!!

16. Scottsask // May 11, 2017 at 4:32 pm //

Can not wait!

17. Riders13 // May 11, 2017 at 4:35 pm //

The prior skinny on this trade (according to various reports) was that BC granted the Riders permission to renegotiate Edem’s contract before they agreed to a trade. Hopefully, that’s what happened because Edem is definitely not good value at $140k per year.

18. Poorly written article as it does not explain the conditions of the trade. Does anyone know the terms of this trade?

19. Southwest cowboy // May 12, 2017 at 10:42 am //

I agree with ‘Patience’ on everything he said. I’m also marking time until Jones is gone.

• ,,Patience // May 12, 2017 at 2:22 pm //

I am pretty sure we are not the only ones that feel that way, Southwest cowboy but a lot don’t want to face the wrath of the Jones lovers. I have gotten some criticism from friends too but I am sorry, I cannot cheer for a cheater. His plan also makes no sense to me. I have never seen a team rebuilt with other teams second stringers and no first rate QB, plus absolutely no continùity. Any one who has played on any team knows that a team plays its best when they have played together enough to develop that chemistry.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 12, 2017 at 4:40 pm //

Boy Patience. I feel for you and compliment you pragmatic thinking. You are right it makes no sense at all. How many loses will it take before others will admit this

20. Scottsask // May 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm //

Simply not going to happen until after 2018 at the earliest, so rest easy.

21. I hope Vince Young lights it up and this team turns the corner and has success for decades. Then what?
    What will you people do, stay away? Didn’t think so…

• mrnehnehincognito // May 14, 2017 at 2:09 pm //

Raptor…If Young is lights out I’ll still be here to take my lumps. So you think Young will have “decades” of success? Wow so play still he’s 60?

• Of course not, he might start for a few years and then pass the torch to another QB who can be developed in the interim.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 14, 2017 at 5:02 pm //

hmmmm and where is this apprentice?

• Hmmmmm and where was your Mitchell a few years ago? Try to reply using some common sense next time do I don’t have to explain the obvious.

• mrnehnehincognito // May 14, 2017 at 11:07 pm //

Well raptor
            BLM has been around since 2012. Calgary purposely protected him in the 2013 expansion draft has he was being groomed since 2012. Even prior to that he was on Calgary’s radar as the next big thing in the CFL. So we was courted and apprenticed 4 years before being anointed the starter. Do you have that guy in your organization now?

• ,,Patience // May 14, 2017 at 2:41 pm //

But Chris Jones and Vince Young won’t be here for decades, not even very many years.